As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Roadside garbage pickup limitations

ZekZek Registered User regular
edited July 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
I moved recently to a complex where I have a single trash bin with weekly roadside pickup. I've slowly been working through a considerable backlog of cardboard boxes and such that I've been throwing out in standard black garbage bags. Lately it seems like there's at least one of these bags that the garbage guys simply refuse to take. They apparently just open the lid, start taking out bags(I typically fit in 3) and when they encounter one they don't like they just close the lid and move on. This bag is probably at 1/2-2/3 capacity, has no holes or anything, and just contains some folded cardboard boxes so it's a bit misshapen. Multiple weeks now they've left it behind it and it's starting to piss me off. Does anybody know if there are typically rules for stuff like this I might be missing? I tried looking it up on their site and didn't see anything.

Zek on

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Are they maybe just upending the whole can, and the configuration of boxes has that bag wedged into the bottom?

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    cardboard usually goes out with recyclables.

• EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »

Yeah, why are you putting cardboard in a plastic bag in the garbage? This should definitely be in with recyclables.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Have you tried calling or emailing the garbage company? The specific rules/procedures they follow is going to vary by company. Some won't take recyclables that aren't separated, some don't care and'll toss anything into the back of their truck.
    Don't call to complain, just ask what's going on. If it keeps happening and you're not able to get a satisfactory answer as to why, then complain.

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Esh wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »

Yeah, why are you putting cardboard in a plastic bag in the garbage? This should definitely be in with recyclables.
    Zek wrote:
    I moved recently to a complex where I have a single trash bin [...]

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    If they are using an automated truck lift, then Aioua may have your problem. Otherwise, I'd say that you have a particularly anal waste management provider, and they don't appreciate you putting recyclables in the standard trash bin. Have you tried just putting them in a nice flattened pile (or perhaps sideways, between trash bins)? The first thing you should definitely do is call them up, though. I'm sure you'll get a clear solution of some sort.

• EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Do you have a recycling center anywhere nearby you can drive that kinda stuff to? Are you just tossing glass, plastics, and metal as well?

• naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    In many areas of Seattle, the trash collection service will refuse to take away any bag that exceeds a certain threshold of recyclable material, regardless of whether the building in question provides recycling bins. It is possible that the service in your area follows a similar directive.

• RendRend Registered User regular
    naporeon wrote: »
    In many areas of Seattle, the trash collection service will refuse to take away any bag that exceeds a certain threshold of recyclable material, regardless of whether the building in question provides recycling bins. It is possible that the service in your area follows a similar directive.

How can you tell? I can't believe they would actually search the trash to find if half of it is recyclable. Do they just listen for a bunch of aluminum cans, glass bottles, and look for box-y looking shapes?

• Dropping LoadsDropping Loads Registered User regular
    Call the waste management company and just ask what's up. My area is plagued by "recycling fairies" (people that go through your bins) that are not at all considerate about putting bags back in the same container they came out of. Then when the garbage truck comes, they can't take the mixed waste. If you call it in they should help you out. If worse comes to worse, you should be able to take it to the dump yourself. It's annoying but it solves the problem.

Also, our recycling company won't take wet cardboard/stuff with food on it.

Sceptre: Penny Arcade, where you get starcraft AND marriage advice.
    3clipse: The key to any successful marriage is a good mid-game transition.