As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Laptop Bag Advice/Suggestions.

ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA!Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
So I just got a nice shiny new 13 inch MacBook Air and I'm looking for something to safely haul it around in with some books and such for college this coming semester. I've been looking at Timbuk2 bags mostly because the reviews seem pretty good but I'm also somewhat frightened by the "CUSTOM BAGS CANNOT EVER BE RETURNED" and I'm afraid of getting a bag that can hold the MBA, but not much else for class and then being stuck with it forever. So if people have reviews on that, I'd be all ears. Otherwise, if you have other awesome bag advice or suggestions, I'd love to hear it.

I'm also heavily leaning towards messenger bags, backpacks are for scrubs amirite?

ChaosHat on

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    i have a big-as-fuck chrome messenger bag. i also have a 13" mba and i'm actually looking at getting a nerdy backpack because i don't feel comfortable carrying the mba in this. even with a protective case it just bounces around so much with all that room in there.

i'd recommend, if you don't want a nerdy backpack, getting a bag that has a compartment with some security- a toggle or strong velcro or something. too much wide open space is disconcerting.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    If you're going to be walking around for more than 15 minutes, or plan on carrying more than 5 pounds of gear (i.e., books + notebooks + laptop), then I would really recommend a backpack. A good laptop backpack will include a nice sleeve for your computer while still having all the functionality to carry around your other crap.

Messenger bags and the like all look nice and function relatively well, but the amount of weight you will easily be able to carry without fatiguing quickly and constantly having to switch shoulders is actually rather small. The only time I would use a messenger bag is if I were, you know, a messenger, and needed constant access to the things inside the bag.

I'm a working professional, and I cry every time I have to go to a client site or use my messenger bag, because it really is that much worse, especially when you have additional weight (like 10 paper copies of a PowerPoint presentation).

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    I'm a uni student, I roll one of these:

urban_carbon.jpg

Quality wise it's a pretty good bag - nothing has broken in about 3 years of use. Pricey though - and short on internal space. I'm not really sure I like it's design, since the hard back is just the back. It's good if you fall on your ass, and throwing it around it'll land that side down, but I'm still ultimately hoping to find something with a nice hardcase enclosure that opens at the top.

• ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    If you're going to be walking around for more than 15 minutes, or plan on carrying more than 5 pounds of gear (i.e., books + notebooks + laptop), then I would really recommend a backpack. A good laptop backpack will include a nice sleeve for your computer while still having all the functionality to carry around your other crap.

Messenger bags and the like all look nice and function relatively well, but the amount of weight you will easily be able to carry without fatiguing quickly and constantly having to switch shoulders is actually rather small. The only time I would use a messenger bag is if I were, you know, a messenger, and needed constant access to the things inside the bag.

I'm a working professional, and I cry every time I have to go to a client site or use my messenger bag, because it really is that much worse, especially when you have additional weight (like 10 paper copies of a PowerPoint presentation).

I've been using a messenger bag for a while now so I'm pretty used to it. I just like the style and accessibility more. Plus it feels like you can cram more stuff into a messenger bag.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    In that case, I have been using the predecessor to this REI bag for literally years, and it's held up to some pretty crazy abuse. I'm talking dozens of trips through the airport, flights, travel to various client sites, rain, hiking in Tasmania, and even a couple of snowstorms. It has a very nice padded section for laptops as well. Actually, looking more closely at this version, it looks like they've improved it by allowing you to separate the laptop section. That is extremely handy if you go through airport security regularly, or even if you just want to use the bag without your laptop.

If you want something slimmer that might provide more water protection, then I'd go with this due to the flap.

• king awesomeking awesome Registered User regular
    Chrome and Timbuk2 are always good choices. They have great quality and customer service is usually top notch (everyone's experience is different obviously).

I did the messenger bag thing, but I agree with the backpack sentiment. After riding my bike for a few days and walking with my stuff I got one of these. Best choice I made, even weight distribution and easy access.

Bigsushi.fm
    Listen to our podcast, read our articles, tell us how much you hate it and how to make it better ;)
  • kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    With any laptop, but especially with an air, my concern would be that putting a crush of textbooks on it could damage the screen, padded laptop pocket or not. Id get a slim messenger bag for your MacBook and a few books and a backpack for heavy freight. Do chrome for the backpack. I prefer leather broefcase style bags over canvas. Cheap option would be Kenneth cole or something, but probably not what you're looking for.

fwKS7.png?1
  • DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    Check out the Go Ruck packs, they are awesome

https://www.goruckgear.com/Gear/Details/2

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    i bought a rickshaw bag not too long ago. its pretty good for laptops no larger than 15 inches.

http://www.rickshawbags.com/

they're a nice size, but if you plan on carrying a ton of stuff around, then it gets pretty limited pretty quick. especially with a laptop in it.

PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    I was bag shopping not too long ago after getting my new MBA 11"

I tried out the slimmer Rickshaw Commuter bag and the Chrome Soma backpack.

While I liked some of the features of the Rickshaw bag, the slimmer version didn't have enough additional storage in it, and the backpack straps weren't terribly comfortable (the add-on strap you can order was fantastic though)

I liked the Chrome bag more because it included the larger storage space and it felt more comfortable for extended carrying of stuff, and I still have a smaller canvas messenger bag (Fossil Wagner City Bag) for toting around just the iPad & some necessities.

• WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Targus does pretty good stuff, lifetime warranties too. I've been using mine about 4 years without a single flaw developing, and its been used as hand luggage on long haul flights carrying upwards of 15kg of computer, ipad, giant bottle of duty free scotch, etc etc etc about 8 times. It holds up to whatever weight and bulk I throw at it, and still goes perfectly. Also has a nice section for a laptop thats 'x-ray friendly' or something.

This is the one I use. It fit my old 15.4" HP laptop, and my 13" MBP fits perfectly too.

Wezoin on
  • seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Wezoin wrote: »
    Targus does pretty good stuff, lifetime warranties too. I've been using mine about 4 years without a single flaw developing, and its been used as hand luggage on long haul flights carrying upwards of 15kg of computer, ipad, giant bottle of duty free scotch, etc etc etc about 8 times. It holds up to whatever weight and bulk I throw at it, and still goes perfectly. Also has a nice section for a laptop thats 'x-ray friendly' or something.

This is the one I use. It fit my old 15.4" HP laptop, and my 13" MBP fits perfectly too.

I'll second the Targus suggestion. Unless you fly a lot, the x-ray compartment isn't a deal breaker, but they make solid backpacks and will honor the lifetime warranty without too much hassle.

Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    I have one of the Razer messenger bags, and I have to admit it's pretty nice. It has a very thickly padded laptop pocket, and lots of room for other stuff. They're a bit spendy, unfortunately, but if you can find one on sale, it's a good option. You'll probably want to avoid one of the more gaudy designs as well (I got the Dragon Age 2 one, and it draws some stares when I bring it into work), but some of them (the Mass Effect one in particular) are downright classy.

xderwsaxganu.png
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    I am highly satisfied with my new Unit Portables shoulder bag for my 15" MacBook Pro.

• AlbertosaurusAlbertosaurus Registered User regular
    I've had nothing but good things to say about SFbags.com

This discussion has been closed.