As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

World of Tanks, now (well, still) with inferior German tanks!

• Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Ok I've been diversifying my tanks.

I really am bad with tank destroyers. And heavy tanks.

Mediums I'm ok with, Light I'm pretty good with.

SPG remains my true love. Dat M41. And I'm almost to M44

Khavall on
  • Options
    Bear is DrivingBear is Driving Registered User regular
    I'm just starting and am gloriously ignorant of proper things but fortunately in Tier 1 this doesn't seem to matter too much. It's quite a lot of fun!

Eventually I'm going to have to sit down and actually learn proper things though if I'm to continue.

• Options
    Lt Muffin360Lt Muffin360 Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    There are a ton of good tutorials and stuff online around the Official World of Tanks Forums and over on WoTLabs.net forums.

Also, I have learned a decent amount from watching people play. Quickybaby (can be a bit into himself but one hell of a player), Circonflexes (goes by Circon on Twitch), and Jingles (Jingles gameplay isn't the best but he understands what he is talking about at least) are the ones I go to. There are others as well if you would like to gain more knowledge.

That is all if you want to gain knowledge, however. No one will force you of course. Also, there is one steep learning curve. Though I did started a while back, they may have made it a bit more gentle to at least get into the game. The tier gaps still hurt though I am sure.

Edit: for spelling and grammar, holy crap I need to reread my posts.

Lt Muffin360 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Thank you, that was exactly the sort of response I was hoping to get.

I had tried the game briefly Wednesday and I didn't think it was really for me but yesterday youtube thought I'd like to watch some of Jingles videos and those sold me on it.

I just gotta kill time until all the snow melts and I can go back to doing normal human outdoor things.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    I hope you picked the Russian tree early. Save yourself a lot of frustration.

• Options
    You are welcome, Bear.

Name is ltmuffin360 on steam and WoT. Feel free to ask any questions if you see me online. Asking away here works as well as I am sure others will join in.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Gaslight wrote: »
    I hope you picked the Russian tree early. Save yourself a lot of frustration.

I actually did. I enjoyed the MS-1 more than the rest in the handful of games I've played so far.

• Options
    So I bought some premium time and I've sworn off playing arty because playing it in lower tiers is about to give me an aneurysm but I'm having a lot of fun learning how to play the big party bus that is the T-28 and it is very slowly teaching me to be patient if I ever want to see the end of a battle. It doesn't always work out but when I can resist the urge to run to the front guns blazing I manage to do OK sniping people.

Tonight I'll be getting my KV-1 and working more towards the T-34-85 which is only taking a while because I have shit all luck with the Tier 3 light tanks to get there.

• Options
    What time will you be on Bear? I might be able to help out with the Tier 3 grind as I am going back and doing a bunch of lower tiers in order to try and get Ace Tanker badges.

And to anyone else out there, yes, I am a glutton for punishment but the Ace Tanker badges are so pretty. Got the B1 done, all of the British Lights (this was easier than expected), and a few others here and there. Right now, I am shooting for tiers 1 through 4 done. I will see how it goes from there.

One thing this has made me realize though is how much I would rather drive the B1 over the AMX-40... I seriously hate that thing.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    I'm in on the tier III grind as well. I decided to go for the Borsig, and I gotta start all the way at the start.
    In game name: min1rhyder.

Also playing the lower tiers, I have no idea how people do the whole seal clubbing thing. It is so frustrating and incredibly unfun to play at tiers I-IV when you know the game much better than that and 99.9% of the population are just getting started.

• Options
    I've only been playing for 4 days and it frustrates me how little people understand relatively basic things (but I readily admit I do a lot of dumb things myself).

I usually play from 5:30 until I remember I should have eaten around 10. My in game name is Free_Anarchy because I panicked and went back to a name I used 15 years ago when bearisdriving was taken.

• Options
    Well that is considerate of you, Bear. I didn't want to pay for Anarchy. :p

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    minirhyder wrote: »
    Also playing the lower tiers, I have no idea how people do the whole seal clubbing thing. It is so frustrating and incredibly unfun to play at tiers I-IV when you know the game much better than that and 99.9% of the population are just getting started.

While I don't do sealclubbing as a general pastime, there are several tanks (usually ones with decent speed and firepower) where you can take out 3-8 enemy tanks every match if you know how to play the game. Tier 3 in particular has plenty of them (both the british and the japanese tier 3 mediums were pretty good). The Matilda, Marder II and T40 are a few other sealclubber extraordinaires. The matilda will even work decently in a Tier 6 match, and I've outdamaged KV-1S tanks on several occasions.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    I had one tier 2 battle where there were 6 T18s on each side. There's always at least 3 or 4 on each side though. Usually one of them will come out on top. They are massively obnoxious.

Like an idiot, I put the launcher shortcut into Steam and not the game .exe so I'll be fixing that tonight and people should be able to see if I'm playing or not.

• Options
    Yeah, when I play lower tier tanks, I like to play the ones that are alright but not amazing. I have a T18 right now because I need the mastery badge with it and I have come upon two things while playing it:

1.) I hate it. The thing is stupid easy to play as long as you don't over extend yourself into the entire enemy team. While it is hilarious to one shot things, it is also seriously boring. I like to work a bit for my kills.

2.) People get some really good games exp. wise in that thing. I have had 1000+ exp games where I also get 8 gets and 800+ damage, no mastery badge, just 1st class. I am going to have to apparently have one of those games where I kill the entire enemy team.

However, the good news about the lower tier tanks that I have played, I found out I really, really like the Cruiser Mk. IV. That 40mm Bofors is just so much fun with that speed and maneuverability.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    However, the good news about the lower tier tanks that I have played, I found out I really, really like the Cruiser Mk. IV. That 40mm Bofors is just so much fun with that speed and maneuverability.

There are only two things that are bad with the Cruiser Mk. IV.
    1. You're helpless against a Matilda
    2. It will make you HATE the Crusader which comes after it. The Crusader is a Cruiser IV with a minor performance upgrade, but it's Tier V and will invariably find itself pitted against enemy tanks where you can't penetrate at all.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • Options
    I actually enjoyed the Crusader. It was a strange tank to get use to at first but once I got the hang of it, it turned into a solid little machine for me. I didn't keep it but I did get a Master Badge for it and plenty of fond memories. Though yes, I can understand why people dislike it. It is a very hit and run sort of tank. Luckily, that is my style of game play.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    The Crusader was alright, I really enjoyed the Covenanter and Cromwell a lot more though.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I'm really impressed with the update review videos they put out. That's a really nice way of summarizing everything.

Obviously I don't the maps well enough to really appreciate the map changes but it's really cool that they go over most everything.

Starting to take quite a shine to this game, I must say.

• Options
    Highway was desperately in need of a revamp, the most consistently effective strat for people spawning on the South was to send all the mobile tanks north, and have the heavies and TDs sit in ambush spots to catch the other team as they moved out of the city. Most attempts to move into the city were doomed by crossfire from easily reachable spots from the north spawn.

The other map changes are also welcomed, though I don't think they were as glaring an issue as Highway. I'm sure there are people that would disagree with a mention of Erlenberg, which certainly had issues, but at least the issues seemed fairly distributed, as opposed to Highway where it was imbalanced towards the north spawn in a really bad way.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LilleDjevelLilleDjevel Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    chrisnl wrote: »
    Highway was desperately in need of a revamp, the most consistently effective strat for people spawning on the South was to send all the mobile tanks north, and have the heavies and TDs sit in ambush spots to catch the other team as they moved out of the city. Most attempts to move into the city were doomed by crossfire from easily reachable spots from the north spawn.

The other map changes are also welcomed, though I don't think they were as glaring an issue as Highway. I'm sure there are people that would disagree with a mention of Erlenberg, which certainly had issues, but at least the issues seemed fairly distributed, as opposed to Highway where it was imbalanced towards the north spawn in a really bad way.

Personaly I think the TD nerf was the best nerf in ages, got a bit tierd of my T10s getting melted by foch 155 befor i could shoot back at him.

Map reworks are almost always great except when they do so I or some other field commander have to make new strats for said map really lame work when you had a perfect strat.

The changes to Erlenberg was desperatly needed, entier team go to X side send 2 to other side, other team does the same and then we wait for someone to move up and get made into cheese. =3

LilleDjevel on
    Grass Grows,
    Birds Fly,
    'til there's Fire in the Sky...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    tricontricon Registered User regular
    No this is not the updated 9.0 HD graphics.

wot_april0osgs.jpg

but the WoT april fool. Play as the mighty Karl a 8bit SPG, just hilarious. B)

• Options
    Note that world of tanks is celebrating an anniversary.
    That means that this weekend there are missions that hand out free gold (up to 240 gold per day), plus another 300 gold if you change your password (in the wake of the Heartbleed exploit).

• Options
    LilleDjevelLilleDjevel Registered User regular
    So I think I ran into the most Toxic player I have seen in AGES http://wotreplays.com/site/766469#malinovka-drpyro-object_140 and yes it's the Wz 132 that I ended up killing!

And on another note, the missions that give gold are pritty easy and brings in some easy gold!

Grass Grows,
    Birds Fly,
    'til there's Fire in the Sky...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I went back and picked up the KV-2 the other day and now that I have it fully upgraded I cannot stop laughing when I play it.

Like a maniac, every 20 seconds I pop around a corner to visit death and destruction upon the unwary.

• Options
    Trusty ole 152 derp. It is was a barrel fun while I had it! Traded it out for the T-150 though as I like the Russian 107 better. (Same say it is because I am crazy, which is probably not wrong)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The KV-1S though is the best. Fastest of the three, more derp than the T-150 but more accuracy than the KV-2, fairly tough target (the armor bounces some, but it has plenty of hitpoints). Best used in packs where you can overwhelm the enemy (or alternate fire so they can't rush you).

• Options
    KV-1S won't be the best for much longer. They have the nerfs up for it that are just recently out on Super Test and they didn't just nerf it, they dragged it out back and shot it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I never got into the KV-1S. It wasn't a very good fit for me. I've unlocked the IS via the KV-13.

I used to like the T-150 but it enraged me after having not playing it for a while and I sold it. Curiously I do OK with the 107 on the A-44 though. Not sure what's going on there.

• Options
    Sometimes I wonder why I play World of Tanks, today I remembered. It's for the noob tears.

I had a KV-2 declare me a "coward" in chat because I wouldn't stand around to be blasted by his derp gun and instead focused on delaying their advance (I was virtually alone vs 6 enemy tanks) and taking cheap shots as they tried to advance.
    With my Type 58 I knocked out a KV-85 and a Chaffee, severely damaging a KV-1 and an AT2 while delaying the SU-100 and his KV-2, dealing about 1650 damage in the process.
    Easy win for my team.

• Options
    I love doing that to the enemy.

Always good to feel like you helped your team win by delaying a flank.

Good flank delays like that also seem to be where I get the majority of the Ace Tanker Badges I have.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    It's very hard to do though. All it takes is for the enemy to realise that:

a. Their opposition is quite outnumbered.
    b. The best way to deal with you is to just take the hits and rush you. The kind of agile tank that can successfully withdraw from cover to cover usually lacks DPS.

People often react to being shot by retreating into cover. Which is fine when you want to take a moment to assess the situation. Noobs problem is that they keep doing it, even after they face a known threat, which means that they fail to use sheer weight and firepower to bulldoze vastly outmatched opponents.

• Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    It's very hard to do though. All it takes is for the enemy to realise that:

a. Their opposition is quite outnumbered.
    b. The best way to deal with you is to just take the hits and rush you. The kind of agile tank that can successfully withdraw from cover to cover usually lacks DPS.

People often react to being shot by retreating into cover. Which is fine when you want to take a moment to assess the situation. Noobs problem is that they keep doing it, even after they face a known threat, which means that they fail to use sheer weight and firepower to bulldoze vastly outmatched opponents.

Or my favorite, you realize it, push out, and the rest of your flank watches you die instead of coming along to support.

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    I re-downloaded this recently. Still finding I get shot to shit and don't achieve much in any of my German tanks but working on grinding out T5/6ish stuff and working towards a Panther.

• Options
    The Panther is alright, but man I wish it had a higher alpha gun. German tanks in general can be tricky to use, as they don't always fit the perceived role of the type of tank they are. The Panther is absolutely not a wolf pack tank, it has to be used as a sniper / support tank to do well.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    True, but that gun has really good pen and accuracy. If you can see the target, you are pretty much assured to deal it damage.

I really like the VK30.02M myself. It just feels so good.

The German tanks do take a special attitude with them though.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    The thing with them is that now they're worth sticking with. Between the E50, E75, E100, Rhoomba and Waffle Traktor you have arguably some of the best tanks at their tier, and even shitheaps like the 45.02B have been patched into really solid tanks. The German middle tiers are a fucking disaster, and the PTA is a POS, but there's at least good stuff at the end of the line.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Yeah, I just doubt I'll ever play enough to get to that sort of tier level. Tempted to switch over to the US or Russia instead.

• Options
    The tier 6 German Mediums are all pretty nice, I think. I mean they're also very similar, but I think they all work well. Take advantage of the view range they give you and you can do good things, like annihilating that TOG II* that can't see you.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    A steak! wrote: »
    The thing with them is that now they're worth sticking with. Between the E50, E75, E100, Rhoomba and Waffle Traktor you have arguably some of the best tanks at their tier, and even shitheaps like the 45.02B have been patched into really solid tanks. The German middle tiers are a fucking disaster, and the PTA is a POS, but there's at least good stuff at the end of the line.

The VK45.02B is buffed to the point of being OP as hell. 200mm upper glacis. I can get behind that. 200mm lower glacis as well O_O?