As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

World of Tanks, now (well, still) with inferior German tanks!

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    double post

Fiendishrabbit on
    "The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    The only things keeping the B from being OP in my book are: overmatch slope on the top of the turret, terrible depression and a turret face that most premium ammo can punch right through. The E75 has an issue with the last one, though. The amount of times a T54 has snap-shot through @Simpsonia‌'s turret is staggering.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    So hey, I tried downloading this on my new PC and it seems unplayable? Like, the new UI has killed it, or what? Everything has horrible UI lag and floaty controls and some kind of bastardized reload time instead of just using Jimbos.

What gives? I kind of thought it would run better in a modern gaming PC instead of an aging laptop, not worse...?

Win 8, radeon r9 270x

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    Lt Muffin360Lt Muffin360 Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Something is clearly wrong than and I am not sure if it is the new UI.

Many people actually reported an increase in performance with the new patch (9.3).

Have you reduced the graphics and such to see if that helps? (I know, this shouldn't be the fix but I am just curious to see if it helps at all)

Also, Jimbo's is a mod which is fine and dandy but just a bit ago, WG updated their sights to include the reload timer. I comes down to personal preference at this point. Jimbo's is still out there though if you would like to use that instead.

Lt Muffin360 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Also how do you use the Leopard Scout?

Because it's my favourite baby tonk even if I'm terrible with it.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I have no idea what could be the issue, other than a driver compatibility problem. Have you checked the official WoT support forums? With the number of people that play it is likely that somebody else has run into the same situation.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The tier 5 Leopard?

Use the autocannon on it as the gun choice. Help spot in the beginning of matches and then clean up damaged tanks with flanking shots towards the end.

That would be the usual but of course there are always exceptions. Also, the Leo is fast in a straight line but it bleeds speed quite a bit when you turn it so be thinking about that. Just a friendly heads up.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    IMHO the leopard is best as a pop-up scout (never expose more than your turret) and then later on you find a breach, get in behind enemy lines and use your autocannon to deliver swift death from behind.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    LowlanderLowlander Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I find light tanks to be a heck of a lot of fun to play. I wouldn't recommend them to newer players, because they require a ton of patience. Not the "sit back at base on a hill and camp" faux cowardice patience, but "go to forward position A ahead of your team, sit in a bush, spot targets and do nothing until you absolutely have to" sort of patience. Where light tanks really shine is the last three to five minutes of a match. That's the time where the field is clear enough that you can get behind that big juicy heavy tank, and he'll be so focused on the tanks bearing down on him that you can just fire away with impunity.

Not to make it sound like bush camping is the only good type of scouting, because it clearly isn't. It's a very good method of scouting, if you also know other methods of scouting. There's also the ride just below a ridge line parallel to your enemy's line of attack, poking up now and again when you know you're not spotted. For bonus points, you can shoot the tanks you spot once you re-stealth.

Scouting more than any other role in the game requires a high degree of map knowledge, and map awareness. If you don't know off the top of your head the three to five ways that a map is going to play out, you're probably not going to be the best scout in the world.

Nothing beats experience though, so if you're having fun with it, keep doing it.

Lowlander on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So the new Sixth Sense change is going to be interesting.

It will no longer be a skill on the commander. They are going to remove it and give it to every tank crewman that has the Radio Operator responsibility (meaning you don't have to train it but if the radio man dies, sixth sense stops working).

Not sure how I feel about this because on one hand, it is nice because the skill is an absolute must on all commanders right now.

On the other hand, now everyone will be self aware of if they are spotted or not.

What I don't like for sure is how this will affect light tanks that are scouting. I would like them to do this but make sixth sense not go off if you are being spotted by a light tank but we will see how it goes.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LowlanderLowlander Registered User regular
    KV-5 drivers are going to hate this change.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Well if the KV-5 driver loses his radio operator, that's also a good indication that he's spotted. :)

I am completely unsurprised at this change, in the XBOX 360 version everybody gets Sixth Sense automatically, I figured it was only a matter of time before the PC version changed.

The only thing I don't like about it is that if you train your crew up to a new tank with credits instead of gold, you'll be without Sixth Sense until you get back to 100%. I don't think that's a huge problem, or anything, just mildly inconvenient.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Hmmm...some more testing.

The problem I'm encountering like a weird control lag. Mouse movement / aiming isn't the issue, it's this lag when you try to WSAD to throttle or turn. I don't remember it being like this, did they patch in a delay at some point?

Graphics settings when I hit auto-detect gives me maximum everything, no vsync, 50+ FPS always. Turning vsync on makes it worse. I'm trying now with minimum settings.

EDIT: Yeah, nothing. 100+ FPS but it's still the same problem - like 0.25-0.5 second lag with every WSAD command. It's consistent, too. Was this intentional?

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    That sounds like a connection issue to me. When my connection is bad I get what you are describing, but normally I have no problems. Do you have any mods that tell you the ping to the server? Have you tried switching to a different one and seeing if the problem persists?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    It does kind of remind me of that, yeah. I used to play, it's been about 2 years.

I'm connected to US East, which is where I live, and I'm on ethernet right to my router. This is the only game I'd be having connection issues with, if that's the culprit (and it might be).

• Options
    OrestusOrestus Registered User regular

The problem I'm encountering like a weird control lag. Mouse movement / aiming isn't the issue, it's this lag when you try to WSAD to throttle or turn. I don't remember it being like this, did they patch in a delay at some point?

Graphics settings when I hit auto-detect gives me maximum everything, no vsync, 50+ FPS always. Turning vsync on makes it worse. I'm trying now with minimum settings.

EDIT: Yeah, nothing. 100+ FPS but it's still the same problem - like 0.25-0.5 second lag with every WSAD command. It's consistent, too. Was this intentional?

I've noticed the exact same thing, its like a micro delay that is noticeable w/ regard to turning the body of the tank- I don't think I noticed it w/ the turret. I noticed it after a prior patch (the one where they first upgraded a couple models to HD, I think early in 2014) and tbh have not really played much since as it was very noticeable the few games I played...maybe you get used to it after awhile. I loaded up a few games last week and it was still there.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Orestus wrote: »

I've noticed the exact same thing, its like a micro delay that is noticeable w/ regard to turning the body of the tank- I don't think I noticed it w/ the turret. I noticed it after a prior patch (the one where they first upgraded a couple models to HD, I think early in 2014) and tbh have not really played much since as it was very noticeable the few games I played...maybe you get used to it after awhile. I loaded up a few games last week and it was still there.

Interesting...

EDIT: Ping is a constant 60-80 on US West, I'm assuming better on East, but I am getting some intermittent red blips on lagometer. East might be better. Maybe it is connection, then, but if that's the case I think I'm SOL.

SummaryJudgment on
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Wargaming has had occasional issues with routing, make sure to report it on the forums because they actually tend to do something about it if you can identify the specific culprit. I don't recall the IP address to test to, but if you can find that run a tracert and see where it gets finicky.

chrisnl on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    So Wargaming were at PAX AU. Lots of advertisement for World of Warships (and this being Wargaming, that meant posters throughout the city), and a playable alpha for it in a (no cameras allowed) room.

It's good! After World of Warplanes, I went in with low expectations, but it's quite well done. Not particularly deep right now (I suspect due to unimplemented ship classes and mechanics that weren't visible in 5 minutes), but a very good foundation. Looking forward to it.

But strangely absent from all the advertisement for tanks and ships was anything about aircraft. Literally zero. Not a thing. I mentioned it in passing to one of their staffers out of curiosity. The answer was "We don't mention that game here..."

Whelp.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    Well if the KV-5 driver loses his radio operator, that's also a good indication that he's spotted. :)

I am completely unsurprised at this change, in the XBOX 360 version everybody gets Sixth Sense automatically, I figured it was only a matter of time before the PC version changed.

The only thing I don't like about it is that if you train your crew up to a new tank with credits instead of gold, you'll be without Sixth Sense until you get back to 100%. I don't think that's a huge problem, or anything, just mildly inconvenient.

How does crew training actually work?

I've been ignoring it.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    So crew training. Probably best to just link the wiki, since it's semi-complicated, and the wiki does also answer some other important questions like how camo and spotting work.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Crew

Short summary: the higher the % training on your primary qualification (commander, gunner, whatever) the better that crewman does their job, and the better the tank performs. The commander also gives 10% of his skill level to every other crew member (but not himself). Once you reach 100% training in your primary qualification, you can start training up additional skills and perks. Skills immediately start adding a boost proportionate to the level it is trained to, while perks do not go into effect until they reach 100%.

Currently Sixth Sense on the commander is the single most important perk to have on most tanks (arguable whether it is useful on SPGs). This lets you know (with a popup icon in the middle of your screen) that you have been spotted, though there is a 3 second delay so sometimes you'll still get shot before the icon pops up. For heavy tanks, you probably want everybody but the commander to take repairs first, so that you can get out of a situation where you are detracked without having to use a repair kit. For light tanks camouflage is a good first choice, though can also make good use of repairs. For medium tanks you probably want repairs, though camo is also good.

The various other skills and perks have varying levels of usefulness (not much point in camo on a heavy tank generally) and have a reasonable description of their effect in the game. If you need more information on how much bonus a skill gives, the wiki will have that information. Also skills like repairs and camo are averaged amongst the crew, so if you have 4 crew members with 100% repair and 1 with sixth sense, it's like they all have 80% repair skill.

Training up to the next tank in line is usually worthwhile, especially if you aren't keeping the old tank. If you retrain with gold, you can move crew members from one tank to another without penalty, even between tank types. If you retrain with credits, you keep a percentage of your previous experience in the primary qualification, but the experience in skills and perks remains. For moving up from say a medium tank to another medium tank, retraining with credits will put a 100% crew at 90% skill level, while moving from a heavy to a medium would leave you at 80% skill if using a credit retrain. Perks like sixth sense remain active if they are unlocked, so you can have a commander with 90% skill in his primary qualification that can still give you the sixth sense bonus.

I know that's a lot of info, but hopefully I covered the highlights. Reading the wiki when you have some free time is highly recommended, as the in-game explanations for a lot of things in the game are not as good as they should be.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Okay, so I see why I wasn't paying attention to too crew skills. None of my guys are a 100%, and as such have no perks.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Suriko wrote: »
    So Wargaming were at PAX AU. Lots of advertisement for World of Warships (and this being Wargaming, that meant posters throughout the city), and a playable alpha for it in a (no cameras allowed) room.

It's good! After World of Warplanes, I went in with low expectations, but it's quite well done. Not particularly deep right now (I suspect due to unimplemented ship classes and mechanics that weren't visible in 5 minutes), but a very good foundation. Looking forward to it.

But strangely absent from all the advertisement for tanks and ships was anything about aircraft. Literally zero. Not a thing. I mentioned it in passing to one of their staffers out of curiosity. The answer was "We don't mention that game here..."

Whelp.

Not too surprised. War Thunder kinda ate their lunch on the aircraft front. Ships should be interesting.

• Options
    Yeah War Thunder is a way better WW2 plane game than World of Warplanes. That said, I enjoy World of Tanks more than War Thunder Ground Forces. I don't find this result to be too surprising, as Gaijin Entertainment are the people that made the highly regarded IL-2 Sturmovik game so you would expect them to be fairly good at airplane games.

I'm interested in World of Warships, but I worry that the gameplay might not be interesting enough. The alpha testers seem to enjoy it, but that's a very limited audience and it'll be interesting to see how the closed beta participants feel about the game.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    If anyone is still playing this, I have an Intel Software Starter Pack I am looking to give away

http://gamingbundle.intel.com/worldoftanks/#/home

You apparently get a tank, some gold, and a number of days at premium. I'm not sure if they work with existing accounts or only work for beginners.

Be the first person to PM me and I'll send you my code.

Edit: Claimed

Caedwyr on
  • Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    I guess this is a good place to put this...

So... World of Warships Closed Beta is a thing I've been playing.

It's very nice. People hate Carries and the Torpedo planes they spawn. I think most of those people are Battleship drivers. I don't mind them, but I'm in a cruiser. Though the planes move in a really janky way and their attack happens regardless of what appears in their way. Such as an island. Making it seem as though the island launched a salvo of torpedoes. It doesn't happen often but its something that I hope would be fixed... or adjusted. In the meantime, don't go near any island when enemy torpedo planes are in the air around you.

I can totally see where the hate comes from. Torpedoes are very devastating and suddenly having 5 to 6 of them appear next to your BB is quite the kick in the nuts. Currently, they so powerful that the alternative dive bombers, which should be more accurate and harder to kill but less damaging are pretty much ignored. BUT that could only be that I'm only tier 6 and I haven't seen the big carries at work.

Besides that the game itself... It's much more... involved than World of Tanks. There aren't any "Power positions" as in WoT. Constant movement, while always looking around for attack planes, at the same time as aiming your guns at a target 15km. away. Oh and avoiding running a ground, colliding into another ship and/or torpedoes. Is pretty much how WoWS works.

Mr.Sunshine on
  • Options
    World of Warships is pretty fun, and I too drive cruisers mostly. I'm only at the USS Phoenix, but it's good times. Torpedoes are strong, but aren't that much of a threat to nimble ships that are paying attention. Battleships tend to eat them in large groups for sure, which is fine because other than torpedoes there isn't a lot many ships can really do to battleships.

As far as dive bombers go, they don't have AP bombs available yet so they are pretty useless against battleships, where torpedo bombers are useful against basically everything. I've seen a lot of carrier players complaining about how bad the dive bombers are, even against soft targets, but at low tiers the planes are extremely strong because of a lack of AA on the ships. I'm hoping that as I go up in tier, the cruisers and destroyers will actually be able to contribute to shooting down planes, so far I've only shot down planes in carriers and battleships.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BaskeBaske Registered User regular
    I don't suppose anyone in the closed beta have a spare key to pass along? :)

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Been watching some World of Warships streams on Twitch. Surprised by how fun it looks, even if it's obvious some of the more "special" characteristics of WoT (spotting mechanics that result in ships disappearing into clear air, penetrating hits that do 0 damage) have been carried over.

Anybody have any strategies/tips for getting a beta invite?

• Options
    LilleDjevelLilleDjevel Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Been watching some World of Warships streams on Twitch. Surprised by how fun it looks, even if it's obvious some of the more "special" characteristics of WoT (spotting mechanics that result in ships disappearing into clear air, penetrating hits that do 0 damage) have been carried over.

Pre-order or wait for a new round of keys. I don't think there will be more free keys tho, since they added beta in all the shop bundles

Grass Grows,
    Birds Fly,
    'til there's Fire in the Sky...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LilleDjevelLilleDjevel Registered User regular
    Suriko wrote: »

Hehehehe what a bug! Played it since beta and still not see that one! =P

Grass Grows,
    Birds Fly,
    'til there's Fire in the Sky...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JohanFlickJohanFlick Registered User regular

Supposedly, WoWs will enter open beta at the end of June. At least according to reddit and official forums.

I really want to try this thing. Seems like a better game than tanks.

• Options
    Bear is DrivingBear is Driving Registered User regular
    I bought a key for a $1 from Humble Bundle last week but I haven't gotten around to loading it even.

I probably wasted that dollar. Oh well.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    So technically off topic but I don't know if anybody here has watched any videos/streams of Armored Warfare? I was basically unaware of the game until I ran across it by accident last night on Twitch and I can now only be characterized as intrigued.

It is basically WoT with more modern vehicles (1950's to present, streamer was driving around in a Bradley and a Stingray II), like, the GUI and shit look so much like WoT it's hilarious how brazen it is. But it's running in CryEngine so it's notably more visually appealing. And the devs have vowed there will never be gold ammo, so I mean, it sounds like they have their heads screwed on straight.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    JohanFlick wrote: »

Supposedly, WoWs will enter open beta at the end of June. At least according to reddit and official forums.

I really want to try this thing. Seems like a better game than tanks.

I've been playing WoWS and it is super fun. It's arcadey, sure, but I never really feel like I'm being screwed by bullshit pen or anything like that. Even against tough as nails battleships you can always do damage. Sure, you might not be able to get a juicey citadel hit, but you can use HE to do damage, start fires, damage turrets, and so on. Ships are fun to drive (full disclosure, I am a marine engineer and thusly biased) and require thought when maneuvering and positioning. The maps are pretty fun and thry even included an open water map for the hell of it that is actually pretty tense to fight on.

The biggest mistake that leads to rage quits is really just people driving dumb and not paying attention. Torpedoes seem crazy strong until you realize they have a limited range and are easy to dodge as long as you aren't barreling headlong into everything. Still, you always get derpydoos that charge into a smoke cloud and are shocked, SHOCKED! that there is a Destroyer in there force feeding them torpedo broadsides. If I get killed by torps it's because I got outplayed simple as that. WoT artillery it ain't.

I played almost a hundred matches in just a few days and have been having a pretty good time the whole way.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    So technically off topic but I don't know if anybody here has watched any videos/streams of Armored Warfare? I was basically unaware of the game until I ran across it by accident last night on Twitch and I can now only be characterized as intrigued.

It is basically WoT with more modern vehicles (1950's to present, streamer was driving around in a Bradley and a Stingray II), like, the GUI and shit look so much like WoT it's hilarious how brazen it is. But it's running in CryEngine so it's notably more visually appealing. And the devs have vowed there will never be gold ammo, so I mean, it sounds like they have their heads screwed on straight.

There is an old thread about the game in the MMO sub forum:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/188453/armored-warfare-by-obsidian-pre-alpha-footage-pg-2/p1

It does look better than WoT, hope that open beta will be soon.

• Options
    WoWs is now in open beta. You can download and play the game without invite.

So far, it's fine. After few battles, I like it much more than WoT.

• Options
    HRRRRRNNNGGGGHHH four more hours until I'm home from work...

• Options
    HRRRRRNNNGGGGHHH four more hours until I'm home from work...

You might want to hurry. According to this:

http://forum.worldofwarships.eu/index.php?/topic/17573-cbt-final-load-test/

they only opened it for a short time. Not sure how short, is it temporary for EU only, but not NA? Not clear yet.