As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Learning Python

LordFizzlebeefLordFizzlebeef Registered User regular
edited July 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
So for my job it's become a sudden thing where somebody in the office needs to learn Python for automated scripts dealing with both internet explorer as well as looking for/moving files in directories. The reason we need to use Python is because we already have a large database of scripts to use, but the two guys responsible for making them just left the company and nobody knows how they work, so I've volunteered to get all this stuff sorted out.

My only background in programming is with Lego Mindstorms for school competitions like 8 years ago, but math has always come pretty easily to me and I sailed through algebra in high school.

Does anybody know any good online resources from going from zero to coding in a few weeks/months?

LordFizzlebeef on

• Options
    DemianDemian Registered User regular
    Udacity (http://www.udacity.com/) uses python as it's cs101 course, which is free. That should give you a pretty decent basic overview of Python, and from there you could specialize your knowledge to suit your needs. Also, the python website has it's own tutorial (http://docs.python.org/tutorial/) if you don't want to watch video's. I would start with one of those to get a feel for some basics and then move into documentation (http://www.python.org/doc/) for your specific needs.

• Options
    supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    Assuming that you’re familiar with the basics of programming logic, Learning Python is a classic. Don’t be put off by the size, you just read the basic parts and use the rest as reference.

• Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    supabeast wrote: »
    Assuming that you’re familiar with the basics of programming logic, Learning Python is a classic. Don’t be put off by the size, you just read the basic parts and use the rest as reference.
    I'll vouch for Learning Python.
    For just moving files you should be able to pick up what you need fairly quickly. What exactly do you mean by automated internet explorer stuff?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    I'm taking the Udacity Python course currently. It's a bit challenging to be honest (complete beginner here) but you do learn a lot of concepts.

Lynda.com has a Python Essentials course as well:

http://www.lynda.com/Python-training-tutorials/415-0.html

• Options
    LordFizzlebeefLordFizzlebeef Registered User regular
    For just moving files you should be able to pick up what you need fairly quickly. What exactly do you mean by automated internet explorer stuff?

Basically, parsing either text files or HTML pages and looking for certain conditions (whether something is flagged as condition 1, 2 or 3 usually) and then navigating around one of our internal tools that's built around IE6 to do certain things (such as sending projects still flagged as condition 1 that should really have advanced to condition 2 or 3 after a certain length of time and sending the work back to whoever is responsible for it in our automated workflow system). I wish I could get more specific but I don't want to give away too much about who I work for.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited July 2012

Basically, parsing either text files or HTML pages and looking for certain conditions (whether something is flagged as condition 1, 2 or 3 usually) and then navigating around one of our internal tools that's built around IE6 to do certain things (such as sending projects still flagged as condition 1 that should really have advanced to condition 2 or 3 after a certain length of time and sending the work back to whoever is responsible for it in our automated workflow system). I wish I could get more specific but I don't want to give away too much about who I work for.

If you're going to be parsing HTML files with Python you will want to use Beautiful Soup.
    I'm not sure exactly what you mean about navigating internal tools, but if you're needing to send keystrokes and mouseclicks to a GUI, you might look into pywinauto or swapy.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Napalm DonkeyNapalm Donkey Registered User regular
    edited December 2022

Napalm Donkey on
    4cgipuI.jpg
  • Options
    grungeboxgrungebox Registered User regular
    This guy in my lab that never programmed anything found Learning Python useful, as did I (but I've programmed in other languages before). Given how specific what you need to do is, maybe one of the Python Cookbooks might be a good supplement? I can't personally attest to those.

Quail is just hipster chicken
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I'm personally slowly working my way through this book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Python-Programming-Absolute-Beginner-Edition/dp/1598631128

Now I'm coming at this from zero previous programming knowledge beyond a bit of self teaching on the odd Excel macro, and I'm just looking to pick up a new hobby by messing around on the odd spare evening, but I'm finding it very user friendly and useful.

MhCw7nZ.gif