As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New PS3 Owner Looking for Some Info

MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNARochester, MNRegistered User regular
edited July 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
The good woman just purchased me a Playstation 3 for my birthday - so I am looking to populate it with games and had a few questions.

1. What are some good Playstation 3 exclusives I may have missed out on only having a 360 up to this point?

2. Is Playstation Plus worth it? I got a free thirty days of it with the purchase and I saw a ton of free games available, but I am guessing I lose access to those 'free games' once the subscription runs out?

3. How do the Playstation 1 Classics (in particular, Chrono Trigger / Final Fantasy Playstation releases) hold up today? Do they still have the awful loading times?

I am in the business of saving lives.
MegaMan001 on

• Options
    histronichistronic Registered User regular
    1. Depends on what kind of games you like, but definitely pick up the games in the Uncharted series.

2. I just got PS+, I think its a good deal as they have said they are going to release new free games for it each month and it is only $50 for a year.

3. Don't know.

WiiU Friend Code: rlinkmanl
    PSN: rlinkmanl
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    PS+ is absolutely a good deal. Thus far into the history of the service, they've continually thrown more $ worth of "free" (that is, you keep it as long as you're subscribed) games at subscribers than the cost of a subscription. Plus, even though the cloud backup service in PS+ is really barebones, it is extremely good for peace of mind.

I believe the current PS+ games offered includes inFamous 2. Track down inFamous 1 and play through both those games; really great PS3 exclusives. Should also have LittleBigPlanet 2, which is also a lot of fun.

The PS1 classics versions of CT/FFIV/FFV/FFVI are exact ports of the PS1 version, terrible loading times and all.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    1. The highlights would be the Uncharted and inFamous series'. Also Little Big Planet if that's your thing. Also the Assassin's Creed Games have slightly more content on the PS3 than 360.

2. You're right that the free games go away. If you decide not to commit to continued subscription, your best bet is to take advantage of the discounted games, which won't go away when your subscription doesn't run out, and you don't have to pay the difference. As long as any amount of money greater than zero changed hands for them, you should be fine.

3. Any issues the physical copies of the PS1 games had will be had by the PSN copies. Final Fantasies 4/5/6 still have long load times in comparison to their SNES counterparts, and while 7 remains fun its graphics haven't aged well. They're all perfectly functional though, no real gamebreaking bugs to my knowledge.

• Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    Chrono Trigger still has the load times. If you have any PS1 discs laying around, they provide a nearly identical experience to playing a digital version from PSN.

You do lose access to your free PS+ games, but that's not too bad if you only play most games once and forget about them.

soempty.jpg
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Thank you all for the rapid responses, that answers most of my questions. I've now canceled my Live Subscription since that essentially was just for Netflix in the living room, which I can now do for free with the PS3.

It's nice to know that the PS3 will pay for itself in 30 months.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    Buy Journey from the PSN store. Don't read anything about it and just play it.

"I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
  • Options
    Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    1. Heavenly Sword is still fun too. Short and should be found on the cheap.

2. As others have said, "Free" is only for the length of the subscription, but a lot of stuff is 25-50% off. All of that will stay after the subscription. I'd recommend all the Pixeljunk games (monster, eden, shooter, shooter 2)

3. There is some loading, but having played FF7 and 9 on the original PS and on the PS3 I THINK it's a little faster but not a ton. You still get black loading screens but maybe I'm too used to the current gen taking even longer than a couple seconds to load.

Gilbert0 on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    all those games for 50 bucks a year is really freaking cheap
    and they keep rotating the free offers...

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    DragonPup wrote: »
    Buy Journey from the PSN store. Don't read anything about it and just play it.

I'll second this. Especially the "don't read anything" part if you've managed to avoid information so far.

The Ico & Shadow of the Colossus HD collection wouldn't be a bad choice if you didn't play them the first time around.

soempty.jpg
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I totally forgot about the HD Classics.

In adition to Team ICO's contributions, the Sly Cooper Trilogy are a solidly fun platforming series.

• Options
    kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    There's a God of War HD collection, and God of War 3 as well.

Uncharted was fan-freaking-tastic.

PSN: the-K-flash
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    PS+ is a great service and not just because of the games; if you subscribe there's an auto-update feature that you must use. The system will turn itself on in the middle of the night and download system updates and any new patches for games that you have save files for. I haven't waited for a patch or system update to load in over a year, it's glorious.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    1. I recommend InFamous 1&2, Uncharted (1 is a little weak, but still worth it if you can get it cheap) 2 & 3, Metal Gear Solid 4, Heavy Rain

2. I don't use it myself, but it seems more worthwhile than XBL, yeah.

3. The PSone Classics feature is literally a PSone emulation, right down to Virtual Memory Card slots. As such, there's no improvement to graphics or load times, sorry! They even keep that blue piracy warning text at the start. :P

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Peen wrote: »
    PS+ is a great service and not just because of the games; if you subscribe there's an auto-update feature that you must use. The system will turn itself on in the middle of the night and download system updates and any new patches for games that you have save files for. I haven't waited for a patch or system update to load in over a year, it's glorious.

Ah I forgot to mention this but yes, I use this as well and I remember the first day after I got PS+ turning on my PS3 and seeing that it had downloaded 5 new updates for me for my games. It is awesome.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Gran Turismo if you need some racing.

• Options
    Gran Turismo if you need some racing.

If you get this though, be warned that downloading the patches and installing the game/patches takes, literally, over 8 hours. Its best to do it overnight.

• Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    I don't have a whole lot *exclusive* wise. God of War III and the Uncharted series (really, just get all 3) come to mind. Warhawk if you like online gaming but i think there was a spiritual successor recently. Can someone chime in? I loved the PSOne original, but the PS3 version wasn't really for me.

Heavy Rain was a PS3 title only, I believe. Also very good. It's a good 'cinematic' experience. My lady friend isn't a game and liked watching the story unfold.

Metal Gear Solid 4 is awesome, especially if you're a fan of the series.

Think that's it for PS3 exclusive titles (that I own).

• Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    Also get Flow and Flower - same people who made Journey (which in my head is really called Flowerer), Heavy Rain, Braid, Burnout Paradise.

For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    Valkyria Chronicles is a great game if you like SRPGs.

• Options
    Absurdity MatrixAbsurdity Matrix Tumbledown Glory On the OutskirtsRegistered User regular
    I found Motorstorm to be a ton of fun with a great soundtrack. It can't be expensive to pick up at this point.

• Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    1. The highlights would be the Uncharted and inFamous series'. Also Little Big Planet if that's your thing. Also the Assassin's Creed Games have slightly more content on the PS3 than 360.

I think you missed a big load of games.

I would certainly add the following:

Gran Turismo 5
    Motorstorm series
    Wipeout
    Flowers
    Ratchet & Clank series
    Cathrine
    Heavy Rain
    Little Big Planet 2

Plus there is a ton of non-exclusives as well. Oh, and Playstation Move is also worth getting except if you already have a Wii.

Bones heal, glory is forever.