As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nvidia GPU suggestions? Replace HD 5750 512mb

Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
Hey folks, hoping someone can help as I'm very out of the loop with graphics cards! Currently running a HD5750 512mb in my HTPC (i3, 4gb ram) and it does me fine for playing back films and all the gaming I've needed it to do. I'm not too fussed about playing games at the -highest- detail. My current set up let me play Max Payne 3 at 720p, at around 60fps with pretty much everything turned up to full, and that was good enough for me. I'd love to be able to crank that up to 1080p but I'm not THAT bothered.

The main reason I want to update is 3D. Nvidia have far superior support for stereoscopic 3D, I've been pretty unimpressed with the 3rd party support AMD offer on this front. I'd also like to be able to flick on Physx without slowing my computer to an absolute crawl (though that's a secondary reason). I know 3D is pretty draining for a PC but I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of resolution and graphical fidelty.

I also need a card that's capable of outputting 7.1 audio over HDMI, that's essential (though I imagine most will be nowadays).

Budget wise, I'd prefer to keep it around £100, I'm not a massive gamer but I like a smooth experience when I do play. I can get the 550TI for that or I could potentially push the boat out for a 560TI. Am I missing anything else? Any older cards do me?

tldr: Nvidia card needed for stereoscopic 3D, physx usage and possibly playing some games at 1080p/higher details. Current card is an AMD 5750 - 512mb. Budget ~£100. Suggestions?

(PS I'm UK Based, so if linking to any sites please stick to UK ones! I'll just cry when I see how cheap electronics are in the states)

Steam: Sir_Grinch
PSN: SirGrinchX
Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
Mr_Grinch on

• Options
    PS The HTPC case I'm using is an ATX. A pretty tight ATX but it can fit in a full length graphics card. Power supply shouldn't be an issue either, it was upgraded recently to a good one (my old one exploded, I learnt my lesson).

• Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    I would spring for the 560 Ti. Bitstreaming audio support on Nvidia cards is hit or miss, and I know for a fact that the 560 Ti supports it, also the 550 Ti is kinda terrible.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Cheers, looks like I'll have to leave it a bit and increase the budget as the card's around £160/£180 in the UK and I haven't got the cash at the moment (A bizarre toss up between new climbing shoes and a graphics card meant my graphics card budget took a hit).

Mr_Grinch on