As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dog's Lame Leg

GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
edited July 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey guys, I don't come to this part of the forum often but I could really use some help with my dog.

He's a chocolate labrador who's almost 2 years old. He's a happy healthy guy except for this thing with his leg. It has happened every once in a while in the past but we didn't think too much of it at the time. When he's really active sometimes he seems to go lame in his right hind leg. Recently, though, he has been going lame in that leg when just walking around first thing in the morning. I thought it was like a runner's cramp before but it's happening when he's doing simple tasks now. I want to take him to the vet but I just don't have the money to pay the bill right at the moment. Any advice on what it could be and how to treat it?

Grifter on

• Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    You should take him to the vet for an xray as soon as you can. In that breed hip dysplasia is common and 2 years old is when most breeders say the dogs need to be checked by the OFA for certification.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    I don't think it's hip dysplasia. I think it might be elbow dysplasia, though.

• Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    My dog has this, it's pretty common in small dogs but it might happen in larger ones too. Basically the Patella (knee cap?) gets shifted to the right or left which causes them to limp. The vet suggested giving my dog a baby asprin when it happens and stretching the leg out till it sort of pops back in.

I'd recommend seeing a vet, but if you find this happening on more then one occasion that's probably it. For my dog it appears to be genetic.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    PantshandshakePantshandshake Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I've got a French Bulldog that had similar symptoms. Took him to the vet for an x-ray, turns out he ate some rocks. Apparently they were uncomfortable while moving through his non rock rated internal compartments, and it expressed as a bad limp.

I guess the take away from this is, go see the vet.

Also, you all know people are going to come in here for pictures of dogs, right? So, here he is napping on my lap. He's a lazy puppy.
    20111018210126.jpg

Pantshandshake on
  • Options
    DkKinglyDkKingly Registered User regular
    My shepherd has problems with her front right elbow. The vet initially thought it was elbow dysplasia but it ended up being some form of genetic athritis. My dog still gets around fine but I do see her stumble a bit every now and then. The corrective surgery is $2500 so I am right there with you on not having the money. I would take your dog to the vet and see if they can diagnose it without an xray. It may be something simple. If not you may have to tough it out for a while and just cough up the cash for an xray. Vets (in my experience) are usually really helpful in trying to give broke owners a better deal.

• Options
    ihmmyihmmy Registered User regular
    It could be as bad as a luxating patella (mentioned earlier, essentially the dogs knee will continually pop out of joint and surgery is typically required to fix it) or as small a thing as a pulled muscle. I would strongly encourage you to talk to your vet, see if you can figure out some way to still have your pooch checked out without it costing you an arm and a leg. All the vets I know are more about helping pets lives than they are about making a quick buck, they might be able to work something out with you

• Options
    I think it might be that patella thing. Last time I tried working his leg a bit and I thought I felt something pop and then he was fine.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Go see a vet.

And, if you happen to live in the west, try to find the man who shot his paw.

• Options
    Took my dog to the vet. He has a luxating patella and will need surgery. Apparently, it's generally a small dog problem so I'm not sure why my 80 lb chocolate lab is having the issue. Thanks for the responses.