As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Games for Windows Live is a hellspawn. Arkham City what the fuck?

SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGamingRegistered User regular
edited July 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
So I have Arkham City. I wanted to play Arkham City. I've played it before and I got the DLC during the steam sale.

Except now, it refuses to start. I get a long error string I can't copy paste, and if I take the file it seems to need and stick it in my Batman folder, it starts, however, GFWL doesn't. Meaning it wants me to start a new game, allllll over again. Any ideas how to fix this terrible piece of shit? The error says something about xlive.dll but now I can't even get that to show up. If I do get the game to start, and I click the GFWL button in the menu, nothing happens.

Twitch Streaming basically all week
SniperGuyGaming on PSN / SniperGuy710 on Xbone Live
SniperGuy on

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    From what I've been able to find out, it looks like most likely either a corrupted or missing xlive.dll file.

Could try troubleshooting here: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrormessage/a/xlive-dll-not-found-missing-error.htm

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Well, if I try to start GFWL by itself, it says "Connection error
    Can't start the program. There may be a problem with your internet connection or the LIVE service.
    Open Internet Explorer and try to open a Web page. If you can't, contact your ISP." etc etc

But, obviously, I have internet.

That error seems to indicate a server error on Microsoft's side. I found a post on Microsoft's site about the same issue today. Not sure if it's directly related though.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-gaming/cant-open-games-for-windows-marketplace-client/c0351a84-81f6-4576-8618-7393a86ea831?page=1

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    Hrm. They say it seems to work though. Still nothing for me.

Aaaand this says everything is peachy. http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-live-status

Very strange. Have you tried to reinstall Game for Windows Live?

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    Yeah, several times.

edited July 2012
    Found this that you could try:

Navigate to the game's installation directory. Then browse to \Binaries\Win32 folder, and delete the xlive.dll file found there. If you're concerned about deleting, you can try backing up the file first. After doing that, try launching again.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    That file was missing entirely at first actually. When I replaced it, the game started working, but GFWL still wouldn't start. I can get to the menu, but if I click that button to open the overlay or whatever its called it gets all Also tried doing a repair on the .net framwork, same deal.

Here's the error I get when the .dll isn't in that folder:

4cMju.png

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I actually had and fixed basically this same problem (xlive.dll missing) several months ago with some Games for Windows Live game (don't remember which, but it doesn't matter). Unfortunately, after spending all that time fixing the damn issue, I don't remember what I ended up doing to fix it. :( I'll let you know if I remember it again!

Essee on
    Well I deleted local files and reinstalled aaaaand still getting the problem. Seems to definitely be a problem with GFWL itself, not Arkham City.

When I attempt to start the GFW Marketplace, the splash screen comes up, then disappears with no error message. Just flat out crashes silently. What the fuuuuuck.