As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Roomstore closing, what happens to my credit?

Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
edited July 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
So i bought my bedroom set from the Roomstore years ago, and used their financing deal. so i have a line of credit with no balance now, and i think it's serviced by HSBC. i just saw that they are going bankrupt and closing all stores, so it's not a restructuring or anything. I don't care about not being able to use that line of credit, but i don't want to take the hit on my credit report for that line of credit closing down. Has anyone gone through this? am i just SOL?

Dr. Frenchenstein on

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I would say nothing. Generally if you don't use a line of credit or credit card after 6 months it becomes "inactive" and doesn't do beans to your Credit until you use it again.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    oh really? i never knew that.

so if i have a zero balance card, and don't use it for 6 months, it stops being counted on my credit report as far as debt/credit ratio?

• Options
    Something like that. Always good to just put some gas on it and pay it off when the bill comes.

Credit is wonky. Just don't ever carry a balance, worst idea someone started as "advice to improve credit."

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    I wouldn't be surprised if you get a note from HSBC that they're changing your card to a different type of credit account.

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    shit that makes store cards even less appealing...

i'd be fine with that deal from HSBC, as long as they don't use my payments to launder money!!!

• Options
    I uh, wouldn't count on that one. Funny you mention it.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    A lot of banks just stop reporting information if you don't use the card.
    Check your credit report. Are you getting a "Dr. F is good people!" from the issuer every month?

• Options
    ThundyrkatzThundyrkatz Registered User regular
    The only think you have to worry about when a line of credit is closed is if you are already carrying a lot of debt, as it makes your ratio of debt to available debt worse.

Say you have 10,000 of available credit on 4 lines at 2,500 each. you had 2 maxed out and 2 at zero for a total debt load of 5,000 for a 50% ratio. then one of your zero credit lines is closed on you. now you have 7,500 in available credit and you owe 5,000 for a 66% load, much worse.

Otherwise, when a company closes a credit line on you, its not a big deal.

• Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    Bestbuy had an HSBC card for a long time, if you didn't use it for 6months they closed the account.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Heck your credit might actually go up. Store credit cards like that can actually be weighted negatively. (IE, this person couldn't get a real credit card, he had to get store card. Must not be trustworthy.)

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    really? shit! i only ever get them for the special financing deals, i didn't even think about that.