As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Finally getting back to comics seriously, could use some guidance

DuzDuz MrSwansea, Wales Registered User regular
edited July 2012 in Graphic Violence
After many years of off again on again reading I decide it was about time I got in deep. But as all ways it's kinda daunting when you enter a new world of awesome.

In the last few years I have gotten my grub hands on Scott pilgrim, y the last man, the Jeff lobe series of batman and chew.

Oh and walking dead before it was the tv show.

I have only read them in trades.

I have all ways liked x-men from a distance and deadpool.

I recently started reading invincible and Locke and key.

Can you wonderful people suggest/share where to go next on the comic book train?

All of time and space; everywhere and anywhere; every star that ever was. Where do you want to start?
Duz on

• UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    There's a great thread of recommendations at the top of the forum
    but here's the link for it anyway
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/163671/dont-know-much-about-comics-click-here

UltimateInferno on
    "Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • DuzDuz Mr Swansea, Wales Registered User regular
    Answered most of my questions except for deadpool

All of time and space; everywhere and anywhere; every star that ever was. Where do you want to start?
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    go ahead and ask in there

I don't know much about Deadpool unfortunately

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Duz wrote: »

Cable & Deadpool

Many of the forumers consider it to be the best Deadpool comic by far

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
    Turambar wrote: »

Cable & Deadpool

Good place to start for a new reader or is there background I need to know??

Looks like a good starting point at any rate thank you very much

• ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular

Cable & Deadpool

There are several volumes of Deadpool Classic also available, which covers his first mini-series and most (?) of his original series.

But C & D is fine for starters if you like, you're not going to miss an awful lot jumping on there.

The current Deadpool series by Daniel Way is....well....polarizing? Let's leave it at that for now, and stick to C & D and classic first and figure out if you still want more.

Cable & Deadpool

There are several volumes of Deadpool Classic also available, which covers his first mini-series and most (?) of his original series.

But C & D is fine for starters if you like, you're not going to miss an awful lot jumping on there.

The current Deadpool series by Daniel Way is....well....polarizing? Let's leave it at that for now, and stick to C & D and classic first and figure out if you still want more.

Thanks for the help diving in head first

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    The Annihlation series is considered to be very good by many. I suggest picking up every trade you can find of the new Thor series, its been very well done. Also, Ultimate Spiderman was pretty awesome.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
    Will take a look.
    What about non super stuff?
    Whats the next big thing?
    I am reading chew and locke and key anything else

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Will take a look.
    What about non super stuff?
    Whats the next big thing?
    I am reading chew and locke and key anything else

Sweet Tooth has been pretty good so far. You're already reading Cosmic and Locke and Key so that negates my main recommendations.

Does Atomic Robo count as "Super Stuff"? Either way, Robo is good too.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    You should look into the current run of X-force, since it has X-men and Deadpool on the team. And because it's great. I think they've started selling the trades.

Wolverine and the X-men is the other best X-book at the moment and once AvX is over it should be back to it's greatness. Uncanny is good, too.

You could also get the last few issues of Deadpool, too. It picked again after the "Dead" arc, IMO.

Also, "Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe" just started this week and the first issue is delightful.

Cable and Deadpool is also a good run.

Since you mentioned Ys: The Last Man, you should get BKV's Saga. It's one of my favorites and it's only recently started, up to #5 is all.

Also get the Hawkeye ongoing. It's going to be good.

Man of the Waves on