As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Moving to Wales for the last two years of my BA and I'm scared shitless

DuzDuz MrSwansea, Wales Registered User regular
edited July 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
Sooo long story.
I graduated high school an uber geek and assumed that since I loved video games and computers I could be a programmer.......well I was wrong.
I failed the second semester pretty hard Boolean algebra ruined my brain.
Rather than take this laying down I hopped back on the horse and started a BA in design (web mostly).
The college I was in was ment to be a three year course and last year they killed the course and redid the content shorting it to a two year course.
Unfortunately the class had no foundation anymore on what we had learned in the first year. Which brings me to why I am moving to Wales.
The course being so messed up more or less make it impossible for me to get into any courses in Ireland anymore if I want to continue the same degree withtout starting over.

So come September I leave my family and friends to start a new somewhere else. I have no idea what to expect or how I'm am going to handle living away from everyone for the first time in my life.

I know in the US this is the norm for college but not so much in the EU.

And kind words or advice would be much appreciated.

TL;DR
Moving to Wales fro college no idea what to expect.

All of time and space; everywhere and anywhere; every star that ever was. Where do you want to start?
Duz on

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    First things first, you'll of course need to develop an.. affinity.. for sheep.

But seriously, is it moving away generally that concerns you, or Wales particularly (in that you might not be familiar with the area)?

Generally speaking, as long as you have your living arrangements and practical things surrounding school in order, you're allowed to take it slow when it comes to other things. You're don't have to be completely settled and ready to go on day 1, it's always going to be a process when you move somewhere new, especially the first time.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    DuzDuz Mr Swansea, Wales Registered User regular
    Off point: Irish so sheep and general country stuff is no issue.

Its Wales being unfamiliar and being away from family.
    I run a lot so e idea of not know the area is really plauging my mind.

I'm really close with my Family So being away From them is also bugging me.

I know being a nerd will help me make fast friends just don't want to end up spending the while time I'm there either in college or my house.

All of time and space; everywhere and anywhere; every star that ever was. Where do you want to start?
  • Options
    TheInspectorTheInspector Registered User regular
    Expect bad weather but friendly people. I don't know where in Wales you'll be going, but I'm going to presume Cardiff. I didn't live there myself, but I had plenty of friends who went there and loved it. There's a surprisingly good nightlife.

Just relax and enjoy it. Everyone else will be in the same boat (in GB it's pretty standard to go a decent distance away from home for university) so try not to worry. I know this seems like a bunch of platitudes, but they're true. Your old life is never more than a Skype call away, and this is your opportunity to sculpt out something new for yourself.

xbox360/WiiU: AnEvilHypnotist
  • Options
    I be going to Swansea and I'm heading into second year so most of those I meet will be settled and used to it I expect.

You guys are helping thanks

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    I visited it a couple years ago - Cardiff actually. I don't think much has changed. Take it with a grain of salt and all that.

Most of the Welsh people that I met were pretty nice. Most of the English people were pricks. Asking any Englishperson for directions is humiliating, as they expect you to have known it for yourself already (why would you be asking for directions if you already knew?), and they look down and scoff on you even more.

In Wales, after 6 P.M., after everyone has come home from work and ate dinner, they go out into the city, and just hang out. Everything was shut down by 9, with exception of the pubs.
    The food is very English, meaning not very good. Unless you go to a foreign restaurant. It's the only place where I've had genuine Turkish food, as I haven't found a restaurant here that has it. Also, genuine Italian, French and Spanish. Hopefully you'll have the budget to try them while you're there.

You'll be perpetually sick. You'll get used to it. You'll have an eternal cold. Your nose will always run, you'll always be stuffed up, you'll generally be miserable.
    Buy pure water in jugs from the grocery store, and do not drink the tap water or anything. You'll get the shits like you wouldn't believe.

You'll lose a lot of weight, because you'll have to walk everywhere. It's a mode of transportation, and the cities are small enough that you can walk around. Transportation, like on city buses is expensive as heck. It's just cheaper to walk. Especially as a student.

Not really related, but if you get a chance, learn Welsh. It's a beautiful language.
    Also, drink REAL Guinness. And Newcastle. And all the great beers that you can't get over here.
    Visit Bath, it's a great place. The Roman baths themselves are pretty cool. Also Stonehenge. London isn't too bad. I've heard to stay away from Manchester, I think it is. The birth place of punk. It's very blue-color and angry. It's a place where you don't really want to be anywhere after dark. I didn't get a chance to visit it myself, but that is what literally everyone told me, so take that as you will.
    You're also a hop, skip, and jump away from the rest of Europe. Again, if you get the chance, since you're already there, I would suggest you give it a shot. Maybe spend a couple days in France, as it's easy to get to.
    The train ride from London to Cardiff is about 12 hours long. I imagine Swansea is a bit longer than that, since it's further away from London.

Get rid of everything except clothing and stuff. Sell it, and buy replacements in Wales. Don't take more than two suitcases full of clothing. You can always buy more toothbrushes, hair brushes, toothpaste, shampoo, etc. Most of the stuff is pretty comparable. Ketchup is better, since it's not made out of high fructose corn syrup. So is the chocolate. But don't waste your time on Hersheys, since that's made in the US and shipped over. Get real chocolate.

If you want to do St. Patrick's Day in Ireland, plan the fuck ahead, and get there early. Tickets for the boat are (predictably) expensive, and if you can swing it, go there early, stay for a few days, and then come back. It's cheaper that way. Hotels are expensive as heck, as are hostels, in Ireland during that time of year. Learn the difference between the two.

If you do visit anywhere, stay at hostels. You'll meet a bunch of young people like yourself, and it will be pretty good. When I was there, I met a couple of Australians. Pretty much the last group of people I'd expect to meet in England, being on the exact opposite side of the world and all that.

• Options
    PentaghostPentaghost Classification: NOT SO BAD The Southern OracleRegistered User regular
    Moving from Ireland to Wales I'd expect the biggest difference to be the accents. The entire British Isles are culturally very similar - I've lived in Scotland and England and once I got used to the different accents everything else was pretty much the same. Maybe that's just me though, I don't tend to get homesick so I may not have noticed the differences.

• Options
    I visited it a couple years ago - Cardiff actually. I don't think much has changed. Take it with a grain of salt and all that.

Most of the Welsh people that I met were pretty nice. Most of the English people were pricks. Asking any Englishperson for directions is humiliating, as they expect you to have known it for yourself already (why would you be asking for directions if you already knew?), and they look down and scoff on you even more.

In Wales, after 6 P.M., after everyone has come home from work and ate dinner, they go out into the city, and just hang out. Everything was shut down by 9, with exception of the pubs.
    The food is very English, meaning not very good. Unless you go to a foreign restaurant. It's the only place where I've had genuine Turkish food, as I haven't found a restaurant here that has it. Also, genuine Italian, French and Spanish. Hopefully you'll have the budget to try them while you're there.

You'll be perpetually sick. You'll get used to it. You'll have an eternal cold. Your nose will always run, you'll always be stuffed up, you'll generally be miserable.
    Buy pure water in jugs from the grocery store, and do not drink the tap water or anything. You'll get the shits like you wouldn't believe.

You'll lose a lot of weight, because you'll have to walk everywhere. It's a mode of transportation, and the cities are small enough that you can walk around. Transportation, like on city buses is expensive as heck. It's just cheaper to walk. Especially as a student.

Not really related, but if you get a chance, learn Welsh. It's a beautiful language.
    Also, drink REAL Guinness. And Newcastle. And all the great beers that you can't get over here.
    Visit Bath, it's a great place. The Roman baths themselves are pretty cool. Also Stonehenge. London isn't too bad. I've heard to stay away from Manchester, I think it is. The birth place of punk. It's very blue-color and angry. It's a place where you don't really want to be anywhere after dark. I didn't get a chance to visit it myself, but that is what literally everyone told me, so take that as you will.
    You're also a hop, skip, and jump away from the rest of Europe. Again, if you get the chance, since you're already there, I would suggest you give it a shot. Maybe spend a couple days in France, as it's easy to get to.
    The train ride from London to Cardiff is about 12 hours long. I imagine Swansea is a bit longer than that, since it's further away from London.

Get rid of everything except clothing and stuff. Sell it, and buy replacements in Wales. Don't take more than two suitcases full of clothing. You can always buy more toothbrushes, hair brushes, toothpaste, shampoo, etc. Most of the stuff is pretty comparable. Ketchup is better, since it's not made out of high fructose corn syrup. So is the chocolate. But don't waste your time on Hersheys, since that's made in the US and shipped over. Get real chocolate.

If you want to do St. Patrick's Day in Ireland, plan the fuck ahead, and get there early. Tickets for the boat are (predictably) expensive, and if you can swing it, go there early, stay for a few days, and then come back. It's cheaper that way. Hotels are expensive as heck, as are hostels, in Ireland during that time of year. Learn the difference between the two.

If you do visit anywhere, stay at hostels. You'll meet a bunch of young people like yourself, and it will be pretty good. When I was there, I met a couple of Australians. Pretty much the last group of people I'd expect to meet in England, being on the exact opposite side of the world and all that.

As an Irish man I have done all most all of this since we invented Guinness and after visiting the states going to agree the chocolate we have in the EU is a world above.

You may have missed I'm Irish and. Owing from Ireland I may not have mentioned that.

Either way you make some good points. Stonehenge will be on the list of things I do.

Thanks as well

Also on my list is trying to be an extra on doctor who since it's shot in cardiff

• Options
    Pentaghost wrote: »
    Moving from Ireland to Wales I'd expect the biggest difference to be the accents. The entire British Isles are culturally very similar - I've lived in Scotland and England and once I got used to the different accents everything else was pretty much the same. Maybe that's just me though, I don't tend to get homesick so I may not have noticed the differences.

Living in England when is was a wee laddy I know the little differences to expect figures crosses the biggest change for me is the accent.

I dread however the first time I am sick away from home.

Thank you too

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    I am somewhat envious of you. I'm a Canadian, and last year when I went on vacation I spent two weeks in the UK, and the best part of those two weeks were the three days that I was in Wales. Next year I'll be going back, hopefully to see Beaumaris and Caernarfon Castles, climb Snowdon, and maybe even try the beer (the last is a bigger thing than it sounds like, since I'm a teetotaler :p ).

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    I missed the whole part about you being Irish. Rereading I guess I didn't see where you stated that. I just assumed you were in school overseas anyway :)
    My point of view was that as someone from the US, traveling overseas, so I guess some of that doesn't apply.
    I know that the accent seems to either turn people on or off completely, but that was only my accent. No idea how an Irish one would be.

• Options
    I missed the whole part about you being Irish. Rereading I guess I didn't see where you stated that. I just assumed you were in school overseas anyway :)
    My point of view was that as someone from the US, traveling overseas, so I guess some of that doesn't apply.
    I know that the accent seems to either turn people on or off completely, but that was only my accent. No idea how an Irish one would be.

No worries mate still helped me out :-)

• Options
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    I am somewhat envious of you. I'm a Canadian, and last year when I went on vacation I spent two weeks in the UK, and the best part of those two weeks were the three days that I was in Wales. Next year I'll be going back, hopefully to see Beaumaris and Caernarfon Castles, climb Snowdon, and maybe even try the beer (the last is a bigger thing than it sounds like, since I'm a teetotaler :p ).

And I have now added snowdon to my list.
    Also wondering how big micro brewing / craft brewin is there.

• Options
    iMattiMatt Registered User regular

Hmmm I'd take this bit with a pinch of salt. Having lived in Cardiff for 24 years of my life the tapwater is fine! You also won't be long term ill (unless you are a particularly ill person - it's not Lourdes!).

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Moved from the west country of the England to Cardiff for 5 years for Uni, visited Swansea to see other student friends many times.

Swansea is a big university city. i.e. multicultural and friendly out the wazoo. Actual welsh people will be in the minority in your day to day life! As long as you make a little effort to get involved in uni life then you will meet new people, have the time of you life, and become a man of the world.

Expect bad weather as that Welsh stereotype is pretty spot on, but on good days you have your own pretty nice beach on the doorstep!

I have no idea what the water sickness guy is on about it.

If you get the opportunity, go for University organised accomodation for your first year as this gets you right in the social hub of things and meeting new people straight away.

Seriously, you're going to be fine. It's fine to be a bit nervous, we all are when we first step out in to the big world on our own.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Be prepared to hear just how amazing the Welsh Rugby team is.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    They do like their Rugby. The only time I ever felt a little uncomfortable being a Englishman in Walesland was during the rugby. But you're Irish so it'll be fine. Comrades in arms against the English oppressors!

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    They do like their Rugby. The only time I ever felt a little uncomfortable being a Englishman in Walesland was during the rugby. But you're Irish so it'll be fine. Comrades in arms against the English oppressors!

Ah hate the universal friend maker.

Im trying to find a place to share with other students but it's a bit late in the year so things aren't lookingn great I may be by myself in a bedsit

• Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited July 2012

This times a million. I spent most of last summer in Ireland and Wales for school and Christ, I was on the toilet every couple of hours for months because no one told me this.

e: I missed that you're moving from Ireland. This probably won't be an issue for you then.

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    I've spent some time in Wales, the water over there is absolutely fine. Then again I'm from the North of England so I've probably got used to it. Also I don't really know where this comes from:

But again, I may just be used to the horrendous illnesses we must harbour in the UK.

In general I don't think you'll find adjusting to Wales any different than if you moved to England, Scotland or even just somewhere away from your family and friends in Ireland. I wouldn't stress over the locale at all and as for moving away from everyone, what with mobile phones, Skype and other forms of technology that should help you keep in touch when you start to get a bit homesick.

Planning visits home helps. If you're having a particularly tough time on your course then having a trip home booked gives you something to look forward to.

Good luck!

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    Last time I was over by Salisbury I decided to swing by Stonehenge. Was slightly disappointed, not allowed to approach the ring and have heard they increased the distance since then.

There were some stone rings and other ruins that a friend and I explored up in north eastern Scotland. Some of it was more interesting than the tourist locations. Plus it was open outside the 9-5 hours.

On dealing with the family separation, as said above, set them up with Skype or a similar chat that will help you avoid the large phone bills. Try and find some organizations and activities where you will be, it will help make friends and distract you.

Have fun.

Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • Options
    TPSouTPSou Mr Registered User regular
    my family is from Llanelli and the area, it's great. Swansea's a really vibrant city with a lot going on and the people are aweosme. Not sure about the comments re: food, it's all the same as England/Ireland (based on my short experiences in Dublin. The water is fine, it's all the same really. Even the sense of humour in South Wales is fairly similar to the Irish, lots of piss-taking and open laughing. It's a great place, and cheap, so enjoy yourself!

Also, on a side note, due to some weird sea thing, the water in the sea is pretty warm, especially down near Pembroke. You can do surfing and stuff if you're interested.

• Options
    TPSou wrote: »
    my family is from Llanelli and the area, it's great. Swansea's a really vibrant city with a lot going on and the people are aweosme. Not sure about the comments re: food, it's all the same as England/Ireland (based on my short experiences in Dublin. The water is fine, it's all the same really. Even the sense of humour in South Wales is fairly similar to the Irish, lots of piss-taking and open laughing. It's a great place, and cheap, so enjoy yourself!

Also, on a side note, due to some weird sea thing, the water in the sea is pretty warm, especially down near Pembroke. You can do surfing and stuff if you're interested.

Actually I'm really interested in doing the Ironman in about two years so having somewhere warm to swim is awesome!!!!

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I kinda wish i had been in your position...When i graduated i ended up moving to Cleveland for work. wales woulda been alot fucking cooler i bet.

Send me a redhead please :)

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    ColtaineColtaine Registered User regular
    I went to Swansea Uni and lived there for three years!
    You should still be able to get into the Student Village at Hendrefoilan, failing that there will be plenty of shared flats in Uplands(plenty of local shops & pubs) or Sandfields(right next to the city centre).
    Make sure you get the annual bus pass for students as you will be taking the bus everywhere, Swansea had a decent transport system.

I found Swansea to be a lovely place as long as you stayed to the student bits, there are some very run down places out on the outskirts. There used to be an Irish Society for the Irish students so it won't be too bad.
    If you have any specific questions I should be able to answer them.

I am feeling unusually loquacious. Thus.

As many-handed as a cuttlefish.
  • Options
    Coltaine wrote: »
    I went to Swansea Uni and lived there for three years!
    You should still be able to get into the Student Village at Hendrefoilan, failing that there will be plenty of shared flats in Uplands(plenty of local shops & pubs) or Sandfields(right next to the city centre).
    Make sure you get the annual bus pass for students as you will be taking the bus everywhere, Swansea had a decent transport system.

I found Swansea to be a lovely place as long as you stayed to the student bits, there are some very run down places out on the outskirts. There used to be an Irish Society for the Irish students so it won't be too bad.
    If you have any specific questions I should be able to answer them.

Bad ass man. Thanks!

Now I just need to find the time to sit down and get some written.