As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Name that game (CD-ROM era edition)

eobeteobet 8-bit childhoodSwedenRegistered User regular
edited July 2012 in Games and Technology
I can't remember if these two games were DOS or Windows 95 games, but they definitely came on CD-ROM:

The first game is a traditional top-down vertical shoot em up. You pilot a space ship and you blow stuff up. The thing which made this game different was that all graphics were pre-rendered full motion video. All the background and all the sprites where constantly in a state of animation, looking very, very nice (in my rose tinted memory). The thing which makes this game easy to remember is that because of this, and the limitation of that period's PC hardware, all of the game's graphics where fixed to a certain resolution and heavily interlaced. If the game didn't feature prominent scanlines, then it's not the game I'm thinking of.

The second game came out around the same era, I think. It was a 3D space shooting game similar to X-wing or Freespace, but came out close to Freespace. I can't remember if the ships were texture mapped, but I think they were gouraud shaded (anyone remember that?) but more importantly, I think the game featured one of the first "modern" particle effects. The feature, I think, they were selling the game on was that when you hit a ship, the exact location started spraying glowing particles. It looked very impressive (again, rose tinted) when, right before ships exploded, they basically were flying fireballs.

Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
eobet on

• Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    First game: Creature Shock?
    EDIT: Wait, top-down, nevermind that can't be it.

Second game: Darklight Conflict?

subedii on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Glal on
  • Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    YES! Darklight Conflict is the second game! Thank you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwlR18gu7No

Wow, I completely forgot about that awesome HUD in that game. Damn, that's cool.

No match for the first game yet, though... which actually... might, just might have not been top-down, but isometric... still, fully pre-rendered and heavy interlaced scanlines should be the major clue on that one.

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Hmmm. A top down, full motion video shooter... drawing a blank. Did anything notable happen in that game? I think we need a lead. Shmup games are a genre that tends to get tucked away.

There is Sewer Shark, but it is first person.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Ok... I went crazy and listed all sci-fi shooters from 1995 and onward on Mobygames... and I found it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN820hQ50NM

It's even better than I remembered, because I completely forgot that little people fly out of everything you blow up and the explosions have fucking lens flares, man! :D:D:D

*sigh* Not sure which box in the garage that game is located in... of if I even kept it when I last moved... perhaps one could lobby GoG.com for it?

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    eobet wrote: »
    Ok... I went crazy and listed all sci-fi shooters from 1995 and onward on Mobygames... and I found it:

It's even better than I remembered, because I completely forgot that little people fly out of everything you blow up and the explosions have fucking lens flares, man! :D:D:D

*sigh* Not sure which box in the garage that game is located in... of if I even kept it when I last moved... perhaps one could lobby GoG.com for it?

http://www.gog.com/en/wishlist/games/the_reap

• Options
    Hahaa, thanks! I put my vote in.