As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Another [Final Fantasy] Thread is done before FF XIII Versus

• Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    Also Ochu appears in the marches, Invincible in what's its name back at the map on the camps side. If you do the quests you will have to defeat them anyway and you have map markers pointing to them.

• Options
    CururuCururu Registered User regular
    Shen wrote: »
    So I'm looking to finish FFXIII-2 before the September 1st announcement, as it will most likely spoil the ending, but I'm getting creamed on the final boss. Seems I need to level up a SEN monster, so are there any suggested areas where I can grind quickly?

If you haven't beaten any of the bosses on that plain where you change the weather, try them. You get like, 30k bonus CP the first time you beat each of them, and Invincible/Ochu drop the best weapons in the game.

The only boss that shows up is the giant turtle, and I'm nowhere near able to take it down.

This game is pretty much impossible to complete without a guide. Quest givers are marked on maps, but not where you actually have to go to proceed in the quest. You have to guess which artefact goes with which gate. The level of monsters seems completely random as well.

Also I don't even have a SEN monster.

Even the little quiz game likes to fuck with you.

"Pick a hand: Left or Right"

The game doesn't make it obvious, but if you look up the missions in your menu each one will have an image associated with it. Almost without exception, the images show the exact spot where you will have to search to find whatever it is that the mission is requesting. The trick, of course, is recognizing the location, but that's not too hard once you become familiar with the areas.

As for SEN monsters, two of the better ones can be found on the Archlyte Steppe without too much trouble in either sunny or cloudy weather. I find that I have better luck finding the rarer monsters while running around in the canyon areas.

The quizzes are annoying though. There are way too many questions, and most of them are on topics that only a random NPC in some obscure corner of a map ever brings up, and then only once in their third dialog string. Just use a guide for those.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Some of the quiz questions are clever. Something along the lines of "Blah blah cactuar blah", and the answer is the one with a 1000 needles reference. They seem random, but they're actually testing your general FF knowledge. Then you get the truly random questions that are impossible to fucking know. And then the king of stupid, the 50/50 ones. The truly stupid thing is... they're not really random. There is always a right answer. Like, for "Left or Right?", if the answers are arranged horizontally, then it's left, but if they're arranged vertically then it's right (note: not actual answers, this is just off the top of my head, it might be the other way around, I'm just noting the situation). So it's just a memory test to waste your time.

It could have been a great quiz, but they had to get stupid with it.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Grove wrote: »
    I like how Kain is a warrior chick. A thick warrior chick.

Dat ass.

I love how both Kain and Cecil are just straight up "man, fuck pants, thongs are what real men fight in".

And Rosa is straight from a 80's hair band music video.

I remember seeing this in 94 and wondering why her hair looked about a decade off. Didn't FFIV come out in 94 in the US?

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    That Kain concept art:

ReflectKnight-ffv.gif

I've maybe been spending too much time in the Barrier Tower... Got release prepared with two neons, now I need to grind my party from 31 to 33 to get Level 3 Flare.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    It took a *lot* of save reloading to get everything to line up (Red instead of Yellow dragons in the chest, both releases landing on the same character, and finally the reflected flare hitting a learner), but I picked up Level 3 Flare!

Looks like I only need the following blue magic to complete the list:
    Li'l Melody
    Aeroga
    Level 2 Old
    Condemn (this will probably take a lot of save reloads, too)
    Mind Blast
    Roulette
    Big Guard

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    do yourself a favor and get a Goblin Chieftain for your Sen

Oh man that monster is so good

The only "better" Sen is the Pulsework Gladiator or whatever, but it's really only better in terms of survivability, and the Chieftain manages just fine in that area regardless

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Right, I have Espers and Characters, time to start developing them![/FF6]

Current Plan:
    Physical/Vigor:
    Edgar
    Locke
    Mog
    Cyan

Magic/MgPwr:
    Strago
    Relm
    Setzer
    Sabin

Mixed/Bit of both and some speed to boot:
    Terra
    Celes
    Gau
    Shadow

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    The SEN monster is specifically for the final boss, as his big ultimate attack always kills my monster party member even at full health. Having everyone go SEN to mitigate the damage seems like the best option.

• Options
    The reason I suggest Goblin Chieftain is because he pulls double duty as a Sen and also the best Syn in the game with his Feral Link.

• Options
    What area is he most likely to spawn?

• Options

Current Plan:
    Physical/Vigor:
    Edgar
    Locke
    Mog
    Cyan

Magic/MgPwr:
    Strago
    Relm
    Setzer
    Sabin

Terra
    Celes
    Gau
    Shadow

Sabin??? Magic? What, you gonna aurabolt everything?

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    CururuCururu Registered User regular
    What area is he most likely to spawn?

Archlytte Stepp, on cloudy days, in the ridge area that you have to jump or teleport over to cross.

• Options
    EriosErios Registered User regular

Current Plan:
    Physical/Vigor:
    Edgar
    Locke
    Mog
    Cyan

Magic/MgPwr:
    Strago
    Relm
    Setzer
    Sabin

Terra
    Celes
    Gau
    Shadow

Well, that or use Bum Rush/Phantom Dance.

Steam: erios23, Live: Coconut Flavor, Origin: erios2386.
  • Options
    Bum Rush hits the damage cap so quickly I always thought it was kind of weird to worry about Sabin's magic

Then again, the formulas in FF6 are heavily skewed toward level much more than stats anyway

• Options
    Ohhh right, I forgot bumrush was actually magic based. So much of that game never entirely made sense...

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Bum Rush hits the damage cap so quickly I always thought it was kind of weird to worry about Sabin's magic

Then again, the formulas in FF6 are heavily skewed toward level much more than stats anyway

I noticed this. A Hyper Wrist raising Vigor by 15/20 doesn't have much of a noticeable output on Damage on a level 10 character.

Also don't forget Airblade when Sabinning.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Grove wrote: »
    I like how Kain is a warrior chick. A thick warrior chick.

Dat ass.

I love how both Kain and Cecil are just straight up "man, fuck pants, thongs are what real men fight in".

And Rosa is straight from a 80's hair band music video.

I remember seeing this in 94 and wondering why her hair looked about a decade off. Didn't FFIV come out in 94 in the US?

FFIV came out (as II obviously) in 91, so it makes more sense given that view.

But even when I played it then, at 11, I recognized how absurd those character arts were. I mean, Rydia is suddenly a frumpy middle aged woman? Palom and Porom are bald oompa loompa freaks?

I guess they were afraid to use Amanos usual androgynous character art in the States?

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    The simple fact of the matter is that no matter when it is, Academia is the worst place in XIII-2

Current Plan:
    Physical/Vigor:
    Edgar
    Locke
    Mog
    Cyan

Magic/MgPwr:
    Strago
    Relm
    Setzer
    Sabin

Terra
    Celes
    Gau
    Shadow

Most of his Blitzes are magic based, actually. I think just Pummel and Suplex aren't. I always make him my White Mage when I play through since that gives him plenty of time to Blitz away.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    So, anyone who's played the International Edition of FFXII have any suggestions on what jobs to go with for the cast?

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    A good 'default' setup I saw (and used) is;
    Vaan - Knight
    Balthier - Hunter
    Penelo - Red Mage

Fran - Breaker
    Basch - White Mage
    Ashe - Black Mage

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    That's the setup of classes I was considering using, though the choice of characters to put them on seems kind of odd.

Edit: I think I may go with
    Vaan - Hunter
    Ashe - Knight
    Fran - Red Mage

Basch - Uhlan or Breaker
    Penelo - Black Mage
    Balthier - White Mage(?)

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    Took three attempts, but I managed to beat the final boss. The Goblin Chieftan turned out great, especially his Feral Link.

The ending is every bit the ass-pull people said it was, which was hardly a surprise at this point. It was all shamelessly done because they wanted an FFXIII-3, and any explanation that was used to justify the events basically translated to "because magic" for me.

I actually wish the whole story used "because magic" as an excuse. I'd be able to swallow that a lot better than "Sir, the paradox levels are rising!".

That's an actual line. Someone was able to measure paradox levels through a computer.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Took three attempts, but I managed to beat the final boss. The Goblin Chieftan turned out great, especially his Feral Link.

The ending is every bit the ass-pull people said it was, which was hardly a surprise at this point. It was all shamelessly done because they wanted an FFXIII-3, and any explanation that was used to justify the events basically translated to "because magic" for me.

I actually wish the whole story used "because magic" as an excuse. I'd be able to swallow that a lot better than "Sir, the paradox levels are rising!".

Man, that's why they shouldn't have technologies in the Final Fantasies, it makes them try to explain shit. Used to be in my day, the older Final Fantasies just did "because magic" all the time! Now it's all Paradoxes and Sciencies...

That's an actual line. Someone was able to measure paradox levels through a computer.

.......................Over nine thousand?

• Options

? I actually thought it was pretty clear what happened and the explanation.

Noel and Serah are idiots.
    They're even told previously how Caius is connected to Ethro and what stabbing him would result in. Yet completly ignored it/didn't take precussions.
    I liked parts of it though and am generally fond of downer endings.

• Options
    QueslyQuesly Registered User regular
    I really hope i'm not the only person who shouted finish him at the tv when you get the choice whether or not to kill caius

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Quesly wrote: »
    I really hope i'm not the only person who shouted finish him at the tv when you get the choice whether or not to kill caius
    I didn't do it because I thought it would lead to a bad end (as in game over, need to fight the boss again)

But apparently having the guy stab himself with your own weapon counts as "killing him"

To be fair, the "to be continued" portion was the only part that made sense.

The stuff before, which involved
    Everyone (including Fang and Vanille) is waiting for us

was explained "because Lightning".

So the majority of stuff happens because of either paradoxes or Lightning.

Seriously though, how much simpler would it have been to just say "Caius' dark energy has affected the goddess Etro and caused random distortions across the world"?

It's a simpler premise, but then I wouldn't have these tumor-sized headaches during cutscenes.

The power of darkness is still hip, you know. Like vampires.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    edited August 2012

Seriously though, how much simpler would it have been to just say "Caius' dark energy has affected the goddess Etro and caused random distortions across the world"?

It's a simpler premise, but then I wouldn't have these tumor-sized headaches during cutscenes.

What?

I don't really get it. It's explained. Why exactly is the explanation "Lightning"??

And Caius dying was bad because
    His heart was LITERARY Ethro's. Ethro gone = Chaos unleashed

Edit: That said, I haven't watched/played the Lightning DLC so maybe I just misunderstood majorly.

C2B on
  • Options
    C2B wrote: »

What?

I don't really get it. It's explained. Why exactly is the explanation "Lightning"??

Again, referring to the dialogue before the final scene.
    Where they mention how all their friends would magically turn up in the future timeline, including Vanille, Fang and Snow, because of "Lightning's will" or some such.

It's never explained how Lightning has this power, or how she can control where people will magically show up. Perhaps they wanted to leave that explanation for FFXIII-3, but the part that's grating is how Noel and Serah just go along with it like it's a natural thing.

They are surprised by nothing....except the results of their boneheaded actions, which they should have been aware of.

I just caught the latest CG trailer for FFXIV 2.0. They really are making the "Realm Reborn" tagline the official motto, even going so far as to include it in the narrative. You could almost take the plot about the world falling under despair and being reborn as a metaphor for the history of FFXIV.

It's insane. It's utterly insane. And that's wny I hope it succeeds. Just imagine if this thing turns out as great as they're promising, and actually proves a financial success. It would be one of Square's most earned victories ever. They acknowledged their game as shit, completely rebuilt it, and made good on their promises.

I guess it just proves that for Square to get good again, people need to yell at them more.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    And still no delete button. Boo.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Again, referring to the dialogue before the final scene.
    Where they mention how all their friends would magically turn up in the future timeline, including Vanille, Fang and Snow, because of "Lightning's will" or some such.

It's never explained how Lightning has this power, or how she can control where people will magically show up. Perhaps they wanted to leave that explanation for FFXIII-3, but the part that's grating is how Noel and Serah just go along with it like it's a natural thing.

They are surprised by nothing....except the results of their boneheaded actions, which they should have been aware of.
    Fang and Vanille got rescued from the Crystal by Sazh when it broke (And they in turn were freed. Remember at that point in the future they were still trapped within) and I don't remember Snow appearing in the ending. Will watch it again.

Edit: Sorry, misread. Anyway, that's atleast one non magical explenation (though its weird).

C2B on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    So many gates that need wild artifacts and I have none left :(

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    QueslyQuesly Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    So many gates that need wild artifacts and I have none left :(
    keep looking(or look it up :P)! theres exactly enough in the game to open all the gates

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I might have to replay the ending too, because I'm not sure what you're getting at.
    Sazh and his team pull out Fang and Vanille in 500 AF. Then at the end, everybody all opts to live in 500 AF.

There's no magic pixie dust or special will. That's just when everything goes down, and the time everybody chooses to stay in. I thought it was odd that Serah didn't want to at least go back to her own time, but whatever, I guess the future is more exciting.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Noel was the one person who could
    kill Caius without breaking the world, which is why his reasoning for not killing him during most of the game is that he won't kill someone so close to him. However, Valhalla has different rules. Caius was aware of that, which is why his plan involved getting killed there. Everyone except Snow being in 500AF is explained well enough.

As for Snow, he's hopping through time and with the gates closing it's not like they can go look for him. They can just cross their fingers he'll be there.

Turkey on
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Turkey wrote: »
    Noel was the one person who could
    kill Caius without breaking the world, which is why his reasoning for not killing him during most of the game is that he won't kill someone so close to him. However, Valhalla has different rules. Caius was aware of that, which is why his plan involved getting killed there. Everyone except Snow being in 500AF is explained well enough.

As for Snow, he's hopping through time and with the gates closing it's not like they can go look for him. They can just cross their fingers he'll be there.
    I thought as of the DLC Snow's still in the Colisseum chillin' out with Gilgamesh & Co. till he can go back.

C2B on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    So...because you guys are talking about it and my brother took my copy of XIII-2 right when I was at the end I decided to wiki it.

And man...shit sounds fucked up.

I'm also wondering.
    I'm wondering...in the mythology it says that Bhunivelze created Etro in the image of Mwynn who was the Goddess of the dead and that's why he sealed away her power.

He also believed that Mwynn desired to destroy the mortal world.

So my pondering is what if like Serah was some kind of avatar for Etro while Yuel had something to do with Mwynn. Maybe some time shenanigans happened and Serah is Etro...that would go to explained why she interfered with Lightning's group.

That's the end of my crazy theorizing.

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Just unlocked my penultimate character in Theatrythm. And I have no shards for the last crystal, so I don't even know where to start farming. This is gonna suuuuck.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    EvilRedEyeEvilRedEye Registered User regular
    I just had a great idea. Another Final Fantasy game where the spell Meteor is a central plot point. The twist? The game is set in a world entirely populated by talking dinosaurs.

Gone.
  • Options
    LucidLucid Registered User regular
    EvilRedEye wrote: »
    I just had a great idea. Another Final Fantasy game where the spell Meteor is a central plot point. The twist? The game is set in a world entirely populated by talking dinosaurs.

Azala.jpg