As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

French revolution

mooshoeporkmooshoepork Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey, I am studying the French revolution at year 12 level ( Australia ) and was wondering for those who have done it, what is a good book to consolidate my knowledge? I read a book by Duncan Townson which was good, however it is out of print. Any recommendations?

mooshoepork on

• Options
    homo wolfushomo wolfus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I hit up VCE Revolutions a couple of years ago.
    I thought The Oxford History of the French Revolution was a huge help. William Doyle is your man.

homo wolfus on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I imagine the Wiki entry for the revolution will have various books listed as sources at the end of the article. Try looking there.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Les Miserables.

Sorta.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    http://www.vcehistory.info is a pretty good site. Apart from that and the textbook, I didn't really use anything else. My teacher photocopied a lot of excerpts for us.

Edit: Okay, apparently that site now requires a paid subscription. That sucks ass.

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    liquidloganliquidlogan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I hit up VCE Revolutions a couple of years ago.
    I thought The Oxford History of the French Revolution was a huge help. William Doyle is your man.

Ditto'd

liquidlogan on
  • Options
    locomotivemanlocomotiveman Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Les Miserables.

Sorta.

IIRC that is a later failed revolution, possibly in conjunction with the Franco-Prussian War.

locomotiveman on
    aquabat wrote:
    I actually worked at work on Saturday. Also I went out on a date with a real life girl.

Can you like, permanently break the forums?
  • Options
    DjinnDjinn Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Les Miserables.

Sorta.

IIRC that is a later failed revolution, possibly in conjunction with the Franco-Prussian War.

Later yes, but not that late. That was the Paris Commune. Les Miserables is set in an obscure revolt in paris 1832, which took was part of a wider series of uprisings from 1830-1848.

Still, the idea of using primary sources (in conjunction with a reader) is a good one. For some english sources, have a look at:
    Edmund Burke, Reflections on the Revolutions in France
    Thomas Paine, The Rights of Man

See also Alexis de Toqueville The Old Regime and the French Revolution, which is widely available in translation.

Djinn on
  • Options
    Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    And for a fictive source be sure to look up Charles Dickens' "Tale of Two Cities."

Uncle Long on