Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Holy Crap they finished the KOTOR II Restoration Mod

captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
edited July 2012 in Games and Technology
I was about to give up on this one too, but they released version 1.8 of TSLRCM a few days ago. This will be the final version, they say they are done! You can get it here.

This one only started in 2009, just as the previous restoration mod, Team Gizka, completely fizzled out after years of slowing down. The changelist is huge but the basic aim is to fix bugs and restore the cut content that plagued this game. Anyone who was played it knows that it has a few...gaps. Especially the end planet, a lot of stuff stops making sense.

Here's an interview with the team lead. Apparently he's working on one more separate mod to bring back the droid planet M4-78EP, but that sounds like it's less restoration and more creating new stuff.

captaink on
sig.gifSteam | D3: captaink#1674 | 3DS: 2466-1914-7679
«13

Posts

  • GnomeTankGnomeTank Registered User regular
    Yessss...I've been waiting for this to finish up before I fired up KoToR II again.

    As much as I loved, adored, fawned over and beat the original KoToR four times, I've never beaten KoToR II, because I wanted to save it until I could experience the full restore.

    It is time!

    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I am installing something from a CD! Four CDs!

    sig.gifSteam | D3: captaink#1674 | 3DS: 2466-1914-7679
  • DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    Wow, I gave up on this so long ago. I ended up just reading the Let's Play with Jesus Jedi and his dual wielding blasters. Come on Black Mesa...............

  • V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    Wow, this is effin' amazing.
    Were there any major snags in development? How many bugs did you fix?

    As for snags… well, there were times when project was proceeding slower for number of reasons; exams, real life issues, getting tired of a game you’re working on for years, but we eventually always got back up to speed. As for number of bugs fixed – no idea what the exact number is, but it’s easly over 500, haha. Just check out our readme for changelog since last version – I’m not going to count how many issues it lists, but it’s huge. And remember that it’s just since last version!

    Was KotoR II up on the Steam sale? If so, this is perfect timing.

    Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    V Faction wrote: »
    Wow, this is effin' amazing.
    Were there any major snags in development? How many bugs did you fix?

    As for snags… well, there were times when project was proceeding slower for number of reasons; exams, real life issues, getting tired of a game you’re working on for years, but we eventually always got back up to speed. As for number of bugs fixed – no idea what the exact number is, but it’s easly over 500, haha. Just check out our readme for changelog since last version – I’m not going to count how many issues it lists, but it’s huge. And remember that it’s just since last version!

    Was KotoR II up on the Steam sale? If so, this is perfect timing.

    No, as far as I know, KOTOR II has never been released digitally.

    sig.gifSteam | D3: captaink#1674 | 3DS: 2466-1914-7679
  • MulletudeMulletude Glorious Leader! Registered User regular
    I have my PC copy of KOTOR 2 just sitting there...man oh man i need a decent PC.

    XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger
  • HenroidHenroid Nobody Nowhere fastRegistered User regular
    I used one of the in-progress restoration mods. It still had its share of odd timing / syncing that seems to plague fan-projects. Still, a lot of the restored stuff for KotOR 2 is goddamn incredible.

    "Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit."
    - @Ludious
    PA Lets Play Archive - Twitter - Blog (6/15/14)
  • timspork's ghosttimspork's ghost Ghostbuster Hook & Ladder 8Registered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »
    I have my PC copy of KOTOR 2 just sitting there...man oh man i need a decent PC.

    Man, how old is your PC?

    Ghostbusters-Ecto-1_zps03ca899e.jpg
    (3DS Friend Code) 5472-6198-4568 (PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork
    A Dabble Of Thelonius
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    We need some KOTOR II in Steam or whatever...

    steam_sig.png
  • schmadsschmads Registered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »
    We need some KOTOR II in Steam or whatever...

    I never actually bought or played KOTOR II back in the day, so I definitely agree! Is there a preferred (cheap) way to buy KOTOR II at this point, besides Amazon ($14)? If not, I consider $14 to be a pretty good price, it just "feels" expensive after Steam sales.

    Battle.net/SC2: Kwisatz.868 | Steam/XBL/PSN/Gamecenter: schmads | BattleTag/D3: Schmads#1144 | Hero Academy & * With Friends: FallenKwisatz | 3DS: 4356-0128-9671
  • MongerMonger Hella Fuckin Smokey Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Wait, 1.8 is actually the final version? Huh. So I guess no one's going to do the Genoharadan stuff, then? I know Gizka was working on it, but you saw what happened there. Oh, well. M4-78 is still on, and I didn't really think anyone would manage to make that happen, given how little content seemed to be available for it.

    In any case, to reiterate what I said in the Steam thread:
    Monger wrote: »
    slappybag wrote: »
    Anyone see this sweet new Kotor 2 mod?

    When is that game going on Steam..? :(

    My disc copy is going to shit, had it forever.
    Fuck. I never got around to replaying KotOR 2 with the restored content mod, and now you're telling me that it got updated and is even more restorative? Why would you do that to me? Do you know how many games I just picked up in the sale? Because I don't! It was probably like a thousand. I have like one thousand games to play and you want me to replay KotOR 2. Which I have played like 12 times. You are a jerk.

    Where are my disks?

  • GnomeTankGnomeTank Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    As far as I know, KoToR II was never (legally) released digitally. There were rumors that once KoToR hit Steam, KoToR II would follow, but it never materialized.

    Find them discs, or order it from Amazon.

    GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh
  • Commodore75Commodore75 Winston "Champagne chugging" Churchill gothenburg.seRegistered User regular
    I checked my preferred brick & mortar last year, and they had a couple of unopened copies of KotOR II. Not sure if I even installed it last time there was a big update to one of the restoration projects.
    No time like the present to install a really old game.

  • MongerMonger Hella Fuckin Smokey Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I thought this was finished a while ago? I remember postings of it all over the internet.

    I played whatever version that was and realized most of the restored content was cut for a reason and not for time. of course there was some stuff that improved the experience but then there where also things like the droid factory which was overly long, had minimal story and felt like something that would have been cut because it ran counter to fun.

    edit: they did just release a retail box with kotor 1/2 in it so now's the perfect time to play it i suppose.

    initiatefailure on
    steam_sig.png
    Behance Portfolio I PSN- Subtle_Ties | 3DS: 3840-5210-2008 (Subtle) | FFXIV: Phyla Zuul
  • GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Pegasus Knights do it in midairRegistered User regular
    Poor Obsidian, always getting screwed over somehow. First it was KotOR 2 due to being rushed out by LucasArts, then Alpha Protocol being overlooked by a great many people, and lately with the Fallout: New Vegas Metacritic bonus debacle. It's about time this sucker was finished up so people can actually play the best Star Wars game the way it was always meant to be.

  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Obsidian also got boned by Sega.
    captaink wrote:
    Especially the end planet, a lot of stuff stops making sense.

    Hoooo boy, did it ever.

    Nice to hear they finished it. Now if only it would go up on Steam.

    SoundsPlush on
    X0H2Ah6.jpg
  • override367override367 Registered User regular
    didn't new vegas do really well?

    It deserves to, being the superior game to fallout 3

    XBLIVE: Biggestoverride
    League of Legends: override367
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    didn't new vegas do really well?

    It deserves to, being the superior game to fallout 3

    Why wouldn't it be? What other game do you get to work directly for Walt Disney as he leads us into tomorrowland?

    PSN: Donnicton - Wii/3DS FC: 1633-4230-5354 - Steam: Donnicton
  • YnuuYnuu Registered User regular
    New Vegas did well but it didn't hit a certain Metacritic score that was required for Obsidian to get a bonus.

    Anyway - love that this finally came out. Gonna have to give KOTOR 2 another playthrough at some point.

    steam_sig.png
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Yeah, but Avellone said they got straight payment for it, with a bonus if they had a metacritic score of 85+.

    They got an 84.

    X0H2Ah6.jpg
  • Commodore75Commodore75 Winston "Champagne chugging" Churchill gothenburg.seRegistered User regular
    Yeah, they never learn from any of their, numerous, previous mistakes.
    Like agreeing to develop and release a Star Wars sequel in less than a year. (100% Lucas fault, right?)
    Instead they keep on signing not-so-beneficial contract.
    Poor them.

    A metacritic score? Seriously? Why did you think that was a good idea?

  • MulletudeMulletude Glorious Leader! Registered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »
    I have my PC copy of KOTOR 2 just sitting there...man oh man i need a decent PC.

    Man, how old is your PC?

    I'm stuck with a netbook for the time being that has no CD/DVD drive. I imagine it would actually run the game if I could install it. Maybe

    XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Monger wrote: »
    Wait, 1.8 is actually the final version? Huh. So I guess no one's going to do the Genoharadan stuff, then? I know Gizka was working on it, but you saw what happened there. Oh, well. M4-78 is still on, and I didn't really think anyone would manage to make that happen, given how little content seemed to be available for it.

    By the looks of the content notes, they didn't restore the Genoharadan stuff because there is already another mod that restores just that part of the game.

    steam_sig.png
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Getting this game working in widescreen mode in vista with the content pack takes a bit of doing, but I finally got it.

    sig.gifSteam | D3: captaink#1674 | 3DS: 2466-1914-7679
  • JebralJebral The guy nobody pays attention to Down South in the land of free thinkingRegistered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Monger wrote: »
    Wait, 1.8 is actually the final version? Huh. So I guess no one's going to do the Genoharadan stuff, then? I know Gizka was working on it, but you saw what happened there. Oh, well. M4-78 is still on, and I didn't really think anyone would manage to make that happen, given how little content seemed to be available for it.

    By the looks of the content notes, they didn't restore the Genoharadan stuff because there is already another mod that restores just that part of the game.

    Is that mod compatible with this mod? Because I could run them together and then make it run in widescreen :)

    steam_sig.png
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I guess I'll finally have to get around to buying a PC version.

    camo_sig2-400.png
    icon-18x18_zps3f731cae.png Basilius | TF2 Backpack | SMITE - Laitarne | PSN - Masked_Unit
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Jebral wrote: »
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Monger wrote: »
    Wait, 1.8 is actually the final version? Huh. So I guess no one's going to do the Genoharadan stuff, then? I know Gizka was working on it, but you saw what happened there. Oh, well. M4-78 is still on, and I didn't really think anyone would manage to make that happen, given how little content seemed to be available for it.

    By the looks of the content notes, they didn't restore the Genoharadan stuff because there is already another mod that restores just that part of the game.

    Is that mod compatible with this mod? Because I could run them together and then make it run in widescreen :)
    Their forums have a mod compatibility thread stickied.
    http://deadlystream.com/forum/forum/4-tslrcm/

    sig.gifSteam | D3: captaink#1674 | 3DS: 2466-1914-7679
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated Registered User regular
    I thought this was finished a while ago? I remember postings of it all over the internet.

    I played whatever version that was and realized most of the restored content was cut for a reason and not for time. of course there was some stuff that improved the experience but then there where also things like the droid factory which was overly long, had minimal story and felt like something that would have been cut because it ran counter to fun.

    edit: they did just release a retail box with kotor 1/2 in it so now's the perfect time to play it i suppose.

    You're right. It was first released publicly back in 2009, this is just the final update. The OP seems to have confused that date with the date they started, which is wrong, they started around about the same time as Team Gizka. I guess some people completely missed the first release (and other updates) if they'd given up on it.

    I'll probably just wait for the droid planet before playing through the game again. Hopefully the new content doesn't seem amateurish in comparison to Obsidian's work and they actually manage to get it kinda consistent.

    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I thought this was finished a while ago? I remember postings of it all over the internet.

    I played whatever version that was and realized most of the restored content was cut for a reason and not for time. of course there was some stuff that improved the experience but then there where also things like the droid factory which was overly long, had minimal story and felt like something that would have been cut because it ran counter to fun.

    edit: they did just release a retail box with kotor 1/2 in it so now's the perfect time to play it i suppose.

    You're right. It was first released publicly back in 2009, this is just the final update. The OP seems to have confused that date with the date they started, which is wrong, they started around about the same time as Team Gizka. I guess some people completely missed the first release (and other updates) if they'd given up on it.

    I'll probably just wait for the droid planet before playing through the game again. Hopefully the new content doesn't seem amateurish in comparison to Obsidian's work and they actually manage to get it kinda consistent.

    Nah, in the interview I linked the lead said that shortly after they started, Team Gizka folded. And yeah, TSLRCM has had other public releases, but this is the only one they've said is final.

    captaink on
    sig.gifSteam | D3: captaink#1674 | 3DS: 2466-1914-7679
  • EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    Dear Lucasarts,

    Please pull your heads out of your arses and release this game digitally.

    Hate, EVOL.


    Seriously though, why haven't they released this game digitally so far?

  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    EVOL wrote: »
    Dear Lucasarts,

    Please pull your heads out of your arses and release this game digitally.

    Hate, EVOL.


    Seriously though, why haven't they released this game digitally so far?

    Same reason they haven't released X-Wing, or TIE Fighter, or X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter, or Rebel Assault, or Rebel Assault 2, or Shadows of the Empire, or Galactic Battlegrounds, or Yoda Stories, or Rebellion, or Rogue Squadron, or Episode I Racer, or Force Commander(eh, maybe not so much Force Commander...)

    Because fuck you, that's why!

    PSN: Donnicton - Wii/3DS FC: 1633-4230-5354 - Steam: Donnicton
    Vae
  • HenroidHenroid Nobody Nowhere fastRegistered User regular
    For a company that shares the name of a guy who likes to re-release crap he did decades ago, LucasArts sure is stingy as fuck about re-releasing old products made to work on new machines.

    Shame on you for not mentioning any of their adventure games by the way, or Afterlife.

    "Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit."
    - @Ludious
    PA Lets Play Archive - Twitter - Blog (6/15/14)
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    For a company that shares the name of a guy who likes to re-release crap he did decades ago, LucasArts sure is stingy as fuck about re-releasing old products made to work on new machines.

    Shame on you for not mentioning any of their adventure games by the way, or Afterlife.

    'cause it's a Star Wars(y) thread, I wanted to keep some semblance of staying on topic.

    PSN: Donnicton - Wii/3DS FC: 1633-4230-5354 - Steam: Donnicton
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    For a company that shares the name of a guy who likes to re-release crap he did decades ago, LucasArts sure is stingy as fuck about re-releasing old products made to work on new machines.

    Shame on you for not mentioning any of their adventure games by the way, or Afterlife.

    I think the sole change to the new KOTOR 1&2 pack is that they now officially play nice with Windows 7

    But yeah, most of the Star Wars games have been re-packaged a ton of times, while legit copies of games like Grim Fandango are much harder to find.

  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Meh, I still like the original ending, if only for Darth Sion.

    "I can die a hundred times Exile, and still I will arise."

    "Tell yourself that a hundred times, and I will strike you down a hundred times..."

    Lightside, Darkside I never not pick that option, even though there's no Will erode bonus.

    manwiththemachinegun on
  • jimbo034jimbo034 Registered User regular
    Is there a way to play this in widescreen?

    We're growing into a post-scarcity economy?

    I hadn't noticed the build a dyson sphere around the sun component of the stimulus package.
  • Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    As much as I fucking love this game, any time I feel like playing, I just end up reading Scorchy's Let's Play.

    Kreia is still my favorite female character of all time. And HK-47. And Canderous. And Jolee (Kotor1, but whatever). And the Revan retcon was good. And the Exile was great too.

  • Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    My KotOR II is oXbox.

    There are several LucasArts games that I would buy again, if they released them digitally.

    They should shut up and take my money.

    Steam:BuckarooHolidayNNID:BuckarooHolidayXBLGamertag:BuckarooHoliday
    Twitter:@BuckarooHoliday
    3DS Friend Code:3394-3880-2299
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard Registered User regular
    Most of the reason why we don't have those old Star Wars games is due to licensing and whatnot. I know that's the reason behind the whole X-Wing family not being remade and re-released officially.
    And Force Commander is a great game! Don't you say nothing more out of your goose mouth, you heathen!

    steam_sig.png
    NNID - bejamus | ESO - (at)guinneapig
«13
Sign In or Register to comment.