As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Blood Bowl] Blood Bowl 3 is out; praise Nuffle!

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Hrm, if they fix the few outstanding bugs and do a complete revamp of the UI to make it non-horrible, I wouldn't mind a Blood Bowl 2.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    I thought they had used up their license agreement! Bah! Fuck Cyanide. ..

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    It would take a new UI, significantly less bugs, some new teams and at least a 66% discount for owners of the previous edition or two for me to buy into Blood Bowl 2. And even then it would only be because I am a sucker for Blood Bowl.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    And if they don't?

Boycott!

• Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    i think for me the 5 things BB2 needs

1. better interface
    2. better stat tracking
    3. better replay controls
    4. better multiplayer options with better stat tracking
    5. scenario creator

• Options
    And if they don't?

Boycott!

Nah, not that neckbeardy.

If it doesn't have enough compelling improvements and a large enough discount for previous owners then I'll either just let it go or wait for it to hit a 75%+ Steam sale.

• Options
    Remove UDP!!! And go to straight Tcp for disconnect issues.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    Remove UDP!!! And go to straight Tcp for disconnect issues.

When i discovered gamebyro had netcode capabilities I was scared and shocked to play BB. And after one of those patches it was absolutely a nightmare. Seriously, I have never seen such a poorly implemented and thought out game when it comes to multiplayer. Wait, thats not true...

I've never seen a game whose multiplayer that was limited seemingly by design.

That said, the base rules of Bloodbowl are too good to not buy this like a chump.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    Man I would love it if Blood Bowl 2 actually allowed you to save a game mid-session and reconnect to your opponent, or even just letting disconnected opponents get back in. I had almost forgotten how bad the netcode and multiplayer connectivity for the first game is!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Problem was from what gathered previously was they thought console action bb was goingTo be the main focus so they did the netcode in udp.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    Problem was from what gathered previously was they thought console action bb was goingTo be the main focus so they did the netcode in udp.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    So what you're saying is they thought their shitty real-time mode was going to be popular, and that somehow works better with udp? I'm not sure I buy that, but I guess it's at least a semi-rational explanation.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Well in real time action you need something faster than tcp. So yeah.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I can't see a need to buy BB2, unless like chaos edition they give me a 66% discount on it because it'll be the same game, and likely have LESS teams than the current Chaos Edition.

They should have been fixing the bugs in the current game, it doesn't need a new engine.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    KafkaAU wrote: »
    I can't see a need to buy BB2, unless like chaos edition they give me a 66% discount on it because it'll be the same game, and likely have LESS teams than the current Chaos Edition.

They should have been fixing the bugs in the current game, it doesn't need a new engine.

It really needs a new engine. fumbbl should not be legitimate competition and part of that is the engine is bad top to bottom.

• Options
    Killer AvacadoKiller Avacado Registered User regular
    So two of my friends and I have been playing this lately, been having a blast. However - I've been having this really strange bug that's cropped up and it's really killing me.

I'll set my guys up on the pitch, doesn't matter if I use a preset formation or move them manually. Once I click on the End Action button, one random guy gets repositioned somewhere on the LoS - generally someone I really don't want up there (like a ghoul... ). It didn't happen when I first started playing, but it seems to be happening all the time now.

I haven't been able to find the bug anywhere on the interwebs - anyone have any insight?

Also, I've submitted a team to the PA Open league, hope to see some of you find gents on the pitch soon. Coach name is Killer Avocado (yes, spelled correctly now... ).

Thanks!

• Options
    SpamSpam Registered User regular
    So two of my friends and I have been playing this lately, been having a blast. However - I've been having this really strange bug that's cropped up and it's really killing me.

I'll set my guys up on the pitch, doesn't matter if I use a preset formation or move them manually. Once I click on the End Action button, one random guy gets repositioned somewhere on the LoS - generally someone I really don't want up there (like a ghoul... ). It didn't happen when I first started playing, but it seems to be happening all the time now.

I haven't been able to find the bug anywhere on the interwebs - anyone have any insight?

Also, I've submitted a team to the PA Open league, hope to see some of you find gents on the pitch soon. Coach name is Killer Avocado (yes, spelled correctly now... ).

Thanks!

You must have 3 guys at least on the scrimmage line at kick off - if you don't (and some of the pre-sets don't for some obscure reason) it'll move random guys until you do.

• Options
    Ah ha!!! Perfect, thanks!

• Options
    Also I'm pretty sure that 3 guys on the line of scrimmage does not include the wide zones. Also, just a general tip for everybody, it's often a very good idea to put your 3 most expendable dudes on the line of scrimmage when you are kicking off.

Which teams did the Chaos edition add? Khorne (which looks awful), Chaos Dwarfs and what else?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Underworld, which also looks pretty bad - some odd mashup between skaven and gobbos with infighting included...

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Khorne are pretty great, I can't see why you'd say they're awful.

A giant Fuck You demon? Yes please!

• Options
    I have this weird thing about player positioning and how I like to control that. Frenzy on all (nearly all?) players really messes that up for me. Underworld also never seemed very good to me, giving the dice more chances to screw me has never been a strategy I have liked.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    I have this weird thing about player positioning and how I like to control that. Frenzy on all (nearly all?) players really messes that up for me. Underworld also never seemed very good to me, giving the dice more chances to screw me has never been a strategy I have liked.

Goblins and Skaven with normal access to mutations though! What's not to like?

And ugh on BB2. Cyanide, you have no good will left at all.

• Options
    Underworld are certainly a really hard team to play at the begining. I am just getting some mutations around the place and things are looking up. I think one of my gobbos is about to get a big hand, and already has 2 heads. That means dodge into any number of tackle zones on a 2+ and pick up the ball on a 3+. I've also got a guy with wrestle, who I just need to get horns and I've got a pretty good cage buster. But holy shit is it frustrating to watch a team of elves just take my dudes off the pitch, cause AV 7 on your skaven and AV 6 + stunty on the gobos just sucks. Don't even talk to me about fighting anything remotely bashy, although I did put up a pretty good fight against a nurgle team IIRC (still lost though, but it was almost a draw). Plus if you get skaven with MNG, the replacements are a plain gobo, which just sucks.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yeah Underworld do not strike me as a good team, the mutation access is nice, but really mutations are not as powerful as they once were. If you think claw + mighty blow is absurd right now, it used to be far more abusive in previous editions of the game. Still, a troll with regular mutation access is a potentially powerful (if unreliable) player. I think the team has much the same problem as any of the stunty teams or the vampires, in that you are simply giving the dice too many chances to screw you over. We all know how cruel those dice can be.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I think the problem we are having is a difference in frame of mind. I play blood bowl to have fun and kill mans, I do not play to win games because that is an exercise in frustration in my experience.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    The kind of people who demand a massive discount just for having bought a previous version of a game are not the kind of people interested in having any of this fun you speak of. Min/Max is a way of life, dude.

• Options
    I have certainly played just for fun, as I had an Ogre team for quite some time. It only played in a Stunty league, though, because that's just the way I'm wired. I like to at least have a semi-realistic chance of victory.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The kind of people who demand a massive discount just for having bought a previous version of a game are not the kind of people interested in having any of this fun you speak of. Min/Max is a way of life, dude.

Hardly the same thing. The original version of the game is like 6 years old or something? It's riddled with bugs and just plain errors in the rules of the game and the developer/publisher is making a new version of the game with an updated engine to try and make more money. If they put some effort into the current version of the game and fixed all these issues then sure, I would with open arms welcome a new version with an updated engine and probably even be a day 1 purchase. Even the Chaos Edition was an obvious money grab, hey here are 3 more teams, but we still aren't fixing any of the bugs. At least they gave that as a discount to previous owners so I only payed $10 for 3 new teams. That's the issue most of the people in this thread have with BB2. It's not like they can change the rules or how the game works, cause then it's not BB.

I am also like Veevee, I play for fun. My last 2 teams in the PA leagues have been goblins and now underworld. You hardly play those with the midset of must win 100% of games or this team sucks. I felt the goblins were more fun as even though they didn't have the STR 3 players, they have all the crazy positionals. The underworld team was a tough start as the highlight of the team is the mutations, and you don't start with any. You need to play a few games with a pretty crappy team to get into the part where it is fun.
    chrisnl wrote: »
    Yeah Underworld do not strike me as a good team, the mutation access is nice, but really mutations are not as powerful as they once were. If you think claw + mighty blow is absurd right now, it used to be far more abusive in previous editions of the game. Still, a troll with regular mutation access is a potentially powerful (if unreliable) player. I think the team has much the same problem as any of the stunty teams or the vampires, in that you are simply giving the dice too many chances to screw you over. We all know how cruel those dice can be.

I actually felt there were less chances for the dice to screw me than the gobos. I think in all my games so far (except against a gobo team) I had a real rough couple of first turns where someone got taken off the pitch whilst my guys weren't retaliating. My MB/Claw/Block skaven blitzer would be doing nothing. Or my sure hands extra arms thrower couldn't pick up the ball for 3 turns (6 1s in a row). Maybe that's what you meant though, that a failed dice roll really screws you, whereas some other teams can recover from bad rolls.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Santa remains as big a goose as ever, shocking.

The only reason people expect a massive discount for having bought a previous version of the game is because Cyanide has released two new versions of their first stab at the game with really nothing more substantial to them than additional teams, and charged full-game pricing for what would amount to minor DLC in any other game while initially massively discounting each edition for owners of the previous edition. At the same time, they have completely failed to improve their netcode or UI or any of the other problems people have with the game.

So as they've conditioned their playerbase to expect new editions to be massively discounted to prior owners while containing very little in the way of new content, I wonder why people would be unwilling to buy yet another version of Blood Bowl without similar discounting or truly substantial improvements... yeah, I wonder...

• Options
    edited June 2013

Ketar on
  • Options
    edited June 2013

Ketar on
  • Options
    RosselRossel Registered User regular
    Anyone Looking to Play BB sometime?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So hey, since I got an e-mail informing me that Blood Bowl is now available on iPad and Android tablets, I have a hankering to play this here shitpile of a game again. Well OK, the game Blood Bowl is awesome, the coding behind it is the shitpile. Regardless!

In honor of the extreme necro-posting this is, I'll even play a fresh Necromantic team!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    If you can ever play after midnight send me a steam friend request. I'm almost always down for more blood bowl.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    So I fired up the game and went to login to the multiplayer servers, and wouldn't you know it, it doesn't work. Then I remembered that it requires some really stupid port-forwarding, because why not? This is the point at which I realized I do not know the administrator password on the router in this house. /sigh

I tried the default administrator password for the brand and model of router, and no dice. Or maybe three dice that all came up skulls, one or the other! Perhaps I'll just swap my personal router in and use that instead, the other house tenants haven't moved in yet and none of them are going to know the password anyway.

-edit- Hah, turns out I also had to update the game, and that in order to do so with the Legendary Edition (never got the Chaos Edition) you have to actually go to their website and download an 872 meg update and a 13 meg update. At least I got to see this gem from the patch notes, "Chat messages no more cleared when login out."

-edit part deux- I got the game working after patching and setting up port forwarding, and found out there is now a spectate ability. So I watched a random game that just happened to be Dwarf vs. Dwarf, which was about as exciting as Dwarf vs. Dwarf can ever be (not very). Wish Cyanide would fix more of the bugs, but I guess Blood Bowl 2 is where their focus is now, for better or for worse.

chrisnl on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Oh, you've only got the legendary edition? Uh, well, maybe we wont be able to play then.

When I log in with the Chaos edition I get online just fine, no port forwarding or anything.

• Options
    Legendary can play against Chaos (even against the new teams), you just can't make a Khorne / Chaos Dwarf / Underworld team if you have Legendary. I give them credit for doing this part, at least, completely right.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Blood Bowl? Never heard of it, any good? :pensive: And when I got that email about Android, I weeped as I knew deep in my heart that Cyanide was behind it.

50433.png?1708759015