As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Screen Saver Trojan

KurnDerakKurnDerak Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
It seems that whenever my computer goes to a screen saver now, AVG will detect a trojan downloading onto my computer. Well, more specificly, when I use the starfield screensaver that comes standard with XP. It seems to be downloading to D :\system restore. Would be more detailed, but the pop-up vanished when I clicked to make a new thread.
I half want to test to see if it continues to do this with different screen savers, though I also really don't want to do anything that would cause problems.

Firstly, anyone know of any trojan/trojan-related things that would be causing this, and secondly, any very specific cures if AVG doesn't find anything? (running comp scan as I type.) Been doing this for about 2 weeks I would say, though I've only had a screen saver run 3 times during that time.

KurnDerak on

• Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I would suggest disabling System Restore. It's nothing but a festering cesspool where viruses can live untouched by anti-virus programs. Restoring your computer to a previous date usually causes more harm than good anyway.

Disable System Restore, do a full scan and report back with your findings.

SeñorAmor on
  • Options
    KurnDerakKurnDerak Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Still nothing from doing a scan w/ AVG, though nothing happened once I left it on screen saver for just over an hour with system restore off.
    Hoping its this simple and solve... but I'll be back if it persists.

Edit: Where are my manners? Thanks for the help Amor.

KurnDerak on
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Your most likely good to go. Chances are there was something bad in the System Restore from an earlier date, which was getting detected when your screensaver came on because AVG likes to use idle time to scan stuff.

By disabling System Restore, the System Restore data has been deleted, an dany bad shit along with it.

Ruckus on