As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

LGBTT: It's Raining DOMA Rulings! (It's for Thread)

• Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    Infidel wrote: »
    psyck0 wrote: »
    No, because we didn't have electronic medical records then.

Well you'd be wrong, because the ICD/DSM codes had plain ol' homosexuality removed. Homosexuality was coded in ICD-9 (1977) and not in ICD-10 (1990). In it's place is "ego-dystonic" homosexuality.

Not being able to code something because there is no longer any code, is kinda the point.

I am well aware of diagnostic codes. I am a medical student. Changes to them are much less annoying when you are keeping paper records because you aren't working within the limits of an EMR, which requires you to enter certain things in certain places.

I don't think this is a very important discussion, but figured I'd clarify what Paladin meant.

Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    I, for one, favor telling homophobes to fuck off to Russia if they hate the gays so much. Just so long as well tell them not to pack an extra winter clothing because global warming has totally taken the edge off Russian winters.

Totally totally. Take our word for it.

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    No, because we didn't have electronic medical records then.

Well you'd be wrong, because the ICD/DSM codes had plain ol' homosexuality removed. Homosexuality was coded in ICD-9 (1977) and not in ICD-10 (1990). In it's place is "ego-dystonic" homosexuality.

Not being able to code something because there is no longer any code, is kinda the point.

I am well aware of diagnostic codes. I am a medical student. Changes to them are much less annoying when you are keeping paper records because you aren't working within the limits of an EMR, which requires you to enter certain things in certain places.

I don't think this is a very important discussion, but figured I'd clarify what Paladin meant.

Wrong facts don't clarify his position.

His original position at least isn't wrong, I was just bringing up how it isn't any different than what has happened before, so what is the issue?

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    I'm betting your average homophobe is a global warming denier.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »

I've come to the realization that global warming denial is where all the Intelligent Design proponents went.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

I've come to the realization that global warming denial is where all the Intelligent Design proponents went.

Because that one guy said that one time that it was all made up, clearly, and that they don't know what they're doing.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Because that one guy said that one time that it was all made up, clearly, and that they don't know what they're doing.

I meant more the social conservatives pushing an agenda not based on what they actually believe but because it's important for them to get re-elected and that those who were all into one are totally into the other.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Sorry, I was just being hyperbolic. I guess I just don't understand how it's one of those things that you can believe or not believe. But that is a topic for another thread.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012

Tonight on Fox News: Most harmful greenhouse gas emissions come from gay couples, climate change confirmed real thanks to the gays, repent ye sinners.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    I, for one, favor telling homophobes to fuck off to Russia if they hate the gays so much. Just so long as well tell them not to pack an extra winter clothing because global warming has totally taken the edge off Russian winters.

Totally totally. Take our word for it.

I kind of prefer Saudi Arabia. Hate gay people? Hate terrorists? Move to Saudi Arabia! Please. Please move to Saudi Arabia. Please.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Nice to see Madonna breaking the law and it not including threatening her concert goers with a gun.

http://www.ontopmag.com/article.aspx?id=12666&MediaType=1&Category=22

I'm still really shocked all that shit in St Petersburg isn't talked about more. It's some really frightening crap.
    "Russia: Why not stay a god-forsake Shit-Hole forever? It worked for a century!"

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    VargVarg Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Guilty verdict for the minister who helped Lisa Miller to flee to Nicaragua after she kidnapped her daughter.
    Hopefully the FBI and Interpol find her at some point :(

http://www.courant.com/news/nation-world/sns-rt-us-usa-crime-mennonitebre87d0y0-20120814,0,7778942.story

NYTimes background article on the case if any of us need a refresher~

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/29/us/a-civil-union-ends-in-an-abduction-and-questions.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all

Varg on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Varg wrote: »
    Guilty verdict for the minister who helped Lisa Miller to flee to Nicaragua after she kidnapped her daughter.

http://www.courant.com/news/nation-world/sns-rt-us-usa-crime-mennonitebre87d0y0-20120814,0,7778942.story

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/29/us/a-civil-union-ends-in-an-abduction-and-questions.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all

At this point I don't believe I would want the kid back. Surely they've indoctrinated the fuck out of her.

• Options
    TenekTenek Registered User regular

At this point I don't believe I would want the kid back. Surely they've indoctrinated the fuck out of her.

You wouldn't want your own kid back?...

• Options
    Tenek wrote: »

Me, personally, no, if I had a kid if would have been due to a huge comedy of errors and I wouldn't have wanted it in the first place. I would have traded the thing for a nice end table or book shelf toot sweet.

This one tho, even if she got her kid back she's looking at decades of therapy and what have you and none of it is guaranteed to get her a normal daughter that hasn't been taught to hate her.

• Options
    TenekTenek Registered User regular

Me, personally, no, if I had a kid if would have been due to a huge comedy of errors and I wouldn't have wanted it in the first place. I would have traded the thing for a nice end table or book shelf toot sweet.

This one tho, even if she got her kid back she's looking at decades of therapy and what have you and none of it is guaranteed to get her a normal daughter that hasn't been taught to hate her.

You understand that us organics can form emotional attachments, though? -.- (and it's tout de suite.)

• Options
    XobyteXobyte Registered User regular
    Also, the kid is 10. Yeah, she's gonna need therapy but it's not like she'll be irrevocably broken at this point. Kids are durable and they bounce back, especially at that age.

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Just because I don't want kids doesn't mean I can't understand how people feel about their children.

And I'm pretty sure I'd feel the same way as soon as I did have them.

Not wanting kids is hardly a good excuse for that silly stance.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options

You understand that us organics can form emotional attachments, though? -.- (and it's tout de suite.)

No it's toot sweet from chitty chitty bang bang because that shit is fucking hilarious.

And if you're somehow implying that all people love and want their kids you're a complete fool.

• Options
    Xobyte wrote: »
    Also, the kid is 10. Yeah, she's gonna need therapy but it's not like she'll be irrevocably broken at this point. Kids are durable and they bounce back, especially at that age.

It doesn't mean she's NOT going to be either.

She gets that kid back and the kid constantly insists she wants to be back with her other mother. What then?

• Options
    Just because I don't want kids doesn't mean I can't understand how people feel about their children.

And I'm pretty sure I'd feel the same way as soon as I did have them.

Not wanting kids is hardly a good excuse for that silly stance.

What the fuck? I don't need an excuse for my own fucking opinion. What the hell is wrong with you people?

I'm not decrying anyone else's position on this; I'm saying if it was me the indoctrination the kid had gone through would seriously make me re-consider bothering to get her back. This lady can do whatever the hell she wants; I'm not against anyone trying to get their kid back.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular

She gets that kid back and the kid constantly insists she wants to be back with her other mother. What then?

Parenting is tough, particularly when the kid has been brainwashed.

But what's the alternative? "Oh you kidnapped the kid, but you did such a good job of brainwashing that we're going to let you keep her!"

Yeah, that's a great precedent to set.

• Options
    KalTorak wrote: »

Parenting is tough, particularly when the kid has been brainwashed.

But what's the alternative? "Oh you kidnapped the kid, but you did such a good job of brainwashing that we're going to let you keep her!"

Yeah, that's a great precedent to set.

No one's setting a precedent for anything. It would be MY reaction to MY situation.

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Based on Magic Pinks own statements, I'm going to assume their solution to the 'what to do with a brainwashed child' problem can be solved by a man with a net and a very large nose.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    ...ok, and my opinion is that your opinion makes no sense.

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Holy fuck. Even if she doesn't win this, if the suit goes forward, it means she's going to get to subpoena just about everything from Liberty University, at the least.

And their endowment is only $50 million. It's not likely, but possible she could shut the whole fucking place down. Hopefully, this is going to be awesome.

• Options

Great. Keep at it and maybe some day you'll understand it. Note that understand doesn't have to mean agree.

• Options
    Decomposey wrote: »
    Based on Magic Pinks own statements, I'm going to assume their solution to the 'what to do with a brainwashed child' problem can be solved by a man with a net and a very large nose.

It is one solution, yes. And they could keep score!

• Options
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Holy fuck. Even if she doesn't win this, if the suit goes forward, it means she's going to get to subpoena just about everything from Liberty University, at the least.

And their endowment is only $50 million. It's not likely, but possible she could shut the whole fucking place down. Hopefully, this is going to be awesome.

It would be really nice to see the whole terrible church go under but I can't imagine it's not going to go without a HUGE clusterfuck of a court case. Hopefully one that sets a pretty murderous set of laws in place if anyone tried to do something similar again.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    There's been a shooting at the FRC headquarters. A witness says the suspect acted based on the group's anti-LGBT stances.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    So that means we're gonna get to hear about the militant gays now, right?

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Isn't the general consensus on brainwashing that it's not that effective, and temporary? Especially at that age, getting the kid into a supportive social environment should undo everything quite quickly. Except a underlining fear of commitment and foreign travel.

Alternatively, wait 3 years until she automatically rejects everything that she's been taught until that point, and then get her out. (Everything I know about kids are from american sitcoms)

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    So that means we're gonna get to hear about the militant gays now, right?

That's what happens when you let them serve openly in the military, the become militant. That's the joke. har har har.

No I don't.
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    Isn't the general consensus on brainwashing that it's not that effective, and temporary? Especially at that age, getting the kid into a supportive social environment should undo everything quite quickly. Except a underlining fear of commitment and foreign travel.

Alternatively, wait 3 years until she automatically rejects everything that she's been taught until that point, and then get her out. (Everything I know about kids are from american sitcoms)

I dunno, there's a lot of people who are still Christians after 18, so obviously brainwashing works pretty well somehow.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    If brainwashing is permanent, then it's not really a choice and shouldn't be changed

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Mortious wrote: »

I dunno, there's a lot of people who are still Christians after 18, so obviously brainwashing works pretty well somehow.

So clever

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular

Great. Keep at it and maybe some day you'll understand it. Note that understand doesn't have to mean agree.
    'My child who I love and cherish was kidnapped and, through no fault or intention of her own, damaged and conditioned to hate me and

I guess I don't want her anymore'

???

I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited August 2012

Well it's a goddamn shame because SHE WAS KIDNAPPED?

You don't sympathize with the hateful criminals who KIDNAPPED A CHILD BECAUSE THEY THOUGHT HER MOTHER WAS A BAD PERSON SIMPLY FOR BEING GAY.

I am typing in all caps so hopefully you realize how horrible what you are implying is.

I.e That you would REFUSE YOUR OWN CHILD because they were kidnapped and possibly brainwashed.

I mean, just the idea of being anything but thrilled to see your child again.

Problem is it is very hard to understand because you are literally treating your child like a video game.
    "Aww man there's scuffs all over my copy of Street Fighter 4!? Just keep it, you already ruined it."
    "Aww my child was kidnapped, mentally tormented about her mother being evil, and has severe psychological trauma because of it? You might as well just give her back, she's ruined now."

The Muffin Man on