As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

LGBTT: It's Raining DOMA Rulings! (It's for Thread)

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I think I argued with my mom about gays supporting anti-circumcision legislation in the bay area and a bit about some of them shitting on feminism, after our cross country road trip that involved a visit to the OZ Museum. She complains about them coopting the word gay every now and then.

Like, I kinda hadn't much in the way of girlfriends, dress well enough, worry a bit too much about my hair, and <3 showtunes and theater. The amount of shit she gave me every time 'If You Were Gay' from Avenue Q came up on random on her iPod was a little ridiculous. But I'm not gay.

Not growing up around wrong headed idiots is kinda great. There were some rather openly gay and lesbian couples in our Meeting, so even my formative religious stuff was plenty LGBT friendly.

Outside of co-workers and neighbors, I haven't actually had to deal with bigots. It's been rather nice.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Luckily my mom's the black sheep of the family and I'm also an outcast to them. Hell, I haven't seen them in almost 3 years. It's more of my fb connection being more of a courtesy these days.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    CalixtusCalixtus Registered User regular
    So the Stockholm Pride parade was yesterday, though there's been related activities all week long and still on going because doing these things over the course of more days is fun.

They don't seem to have gotten yesterdays pictures up yet, but there's a few fun ones circulating around facebook. Here's one of the local US embassy personnel participating in the parade. If didn't fuck up this spoiler tag, there should be a "teaser trailer" using some photos from previous years

According to the website the visitor number is in the half a million range, which must mean we're pulling in a lot of tourists or the locals are just really out and about because the greater Stockholm area doesn't have more than 1.4 million people. The parade includes practically anyone who wants to, with some special shoutouts given to police, firemen and military personnel who are allowed to participate wearing their official uniforms, and there's usually a bunch of politicans milling about just 'cause.

-This message was deviously brought to you by:
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    I love Wonderella. (warning, naughty words)

20120804313.png

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    Calixtus wrote: »
    So the Stockholm Pride parade was yesterday, though there's been related activities all week long and still on going because doing these things over the course of more days is fun.

They don't seem to have gotten yesterdays pictures up yet, but there's a few fun ones circulating around facebook. Here's one of the local US embassy personnel participating in the parade. If didn't fuck up this spoiler tag, there should be a "teaser trailer" using some photos from previous years

According to the website the visitor number is in the half a million range, which must mean we're pulling in a lot of tourists or the locals are just really out and about because the greater Stockholm area doesn't have more than 1.4 million people. The parade includes practically anyone who wants to, with some special shoutouts given to police, firemen and military personnel who are allowed to participate wearing their official uniforms, and there's usually a bunch of politicans milling about just 'cause.

Classic case of Stockholm Syndrome

• Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    Godfather wrote: »
    Calixtus wrote: »

Classic case of Stockholm Syndrome

I really hope there was at least one "don't call us a 'syndrome'" sign.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    I love Wonderella. (warning, naughty words)

20120804313.png

I laughed way too hard at that.

• Options
    Considering I live in a red district/county of California... wonder if I could... nahh... I'd hate myself too much for doing that.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Tomorrow's Starbucks Appreciation Day.

National-Starbucks-Appreciation-Day.jpg

• Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    I may celebrate by checking out the random shop/restaurant between me and my GF that has a rainbow flag.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I would like to support that but their product is awful and I don't like their business practices in my city.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Was this planned for a while, or did they see the buckets of cash CFA got and wanted some of that?
    Maybe I'm getting cynical in my old age.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    Mortious wrote: »
    Was this planned for a while, or did they see the buckets of cash CFA got and wanted some of that?

The second one.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »

The second one.

sigh. How does this help? If the turn out is bad, that just provides the media more ammunition. If it's good, would anybody actually care? (except Starbucks) And all it takes is one person/group to do something stupid, and that'll change the entire narrative again.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Actually I doubt Starbucks has anything to do with the whole thing. Someone just wanted their own 'visible turnout day'.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    It's Equally Wed (a magazine)'s idea.

And I'm supporting it, simply because I love Starbucks, and so I can treat my friends who complain about it the way they treated me when I complained to them about their support of CFA last week.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    It would be nice if every corporation that supported LGBT rights made as big a deal about it as Chick-Fil-A. Let's see the "well if you're boycotting this company then you have to boycot everyone!" shoe on the other foot.

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Oh man. Cousin that moved away to the UK years ago, he comes back and visits with the extended family about once a year or so. This year, family reunion time, a pool party and he shows up wearing a bikini.

Probably not the best way to tell extended family that don't see you often. At least we got to talk about it, and most of the family didn't give a fuck, but oh man the reactions, good and bad.

The family reunion proper he showed up in trunks for the pool. It was good I guess that dozens of family members could talk about LGBT shit without a clusterfuck, but of course there were the odd few that I was just "man, I didn't just hear that, please don't try to talk to me next." Some people are still too unaccepting.

But I'm glad to have a family where it's been confirmed a few times that you can't get thrown out no matter who the fuck you are.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options

Oh god why did I read the comments.

The first commenter wants to know why the left is so pissed at Christians when "Islam denounces gays & ask for beheadings"

• Options
    XobyteXobyte Registered User regular
    edited August 2012

Sometimes I wish the oath to defend the constitution was a legally binding oath.

Xobyte on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Actually I doubt Starbucks has anything to do with the whole thing. Someone just wanted their own 'visible turnout day'.

Starbucks is a terrible idea. People who go to Starbucks aren't going to wait 40 minutes in line. And since Starbucks is everywhere, they won't have to.

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Starbucks has provided domestic partner benefits to employees for decades.

Great company when it comes to gay rights.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    I'm not even a big coffee drinker, and this is pretty obvious as far as cash grabs go. But I might still go get a coffee as a "fuck you" to the CFA bigots from last week.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Double post.

Xobyte on
  • Options
    Funnily enough, there's a CFA on my way to work here in northern/central California. Too bad the Starbucks is across the freeway.

I also work graves so I never get to see the local turn out for either appreciation day.

newSig.jpg
  • Options

Starbucks is a terrible idea. People who go to Starbucks aren't going to wait 40 minutes in line. And since Starbucks is everywhere, they won't have to.

Exactly. There won't be a giant, obvious turnout like CFA had, because there are enough locations to handle everyone. This won't even be a blip on the news.

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular

Exactly. There won't be a giant, obvious turnout like CFA had, because there are enough locations to handle everyone. This won't even be a blip on the news.

That and it isn't even "just" Starbucks. That turns out to be the mainly pimped one though, and I think if they're gonna do this thing as a direct response they should focus on one company anyways, since the whole point is a showing.

I don't know that I can really support it even for that though. People that spin the CFA turnout as "America voting traditional marriage" are going to spin/ignore this away super easily, and the CFA supporters who are ignorant of what the issue even is are the ones that probably won't be reached by the attempt.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Good Morning! Welcome to Depressed! Population: You!

Pastor Orders His Flock to Beat Gay Couple Arriving At Church
    No one would be surprised to learn that there are right-wing Christians in this country who disapprove of homosexuality. Neither would it come as a surprise that in rural parts of this country, Christianity and homosexuality when brought together, can create a highly combustible mix.

But who could imagine the hate and rage that would motivate a Pastor to instruct deacons and members of his congregation, Grace Fellowship Church in Fruitland, TN. to physically attack a couple arriving in the church parking lot last Wednesday?

The fact that one of the gay men attacked happened to be the Pastor’s own son, Jerry Pittman, Jr., no doubt contributed to Pittman senior’s noxious edict. According to Pittman Jr., after hearing his Dad yell, “SICK’EM!:”

“My uncle and two other deacons came over to the car per my dad’s request. My uncle smashed me in the door as the other deacon knocked my boyfriend back so he couldn’t help me, punching him in his face and his chest. The other deacon came and hit me through my car window in my back.”

The attackers also verbally assaulted the couple continually with anti-gay verbiage which continued even after a Sheriff’s Deputy arrived on the scene. Bystanders and other congregants made no effort to stop the assault. For that matter, neither did the Deputy Sheriff. Once the barrage of punches ended, the Deputy refused to let the two victims press charges.

Jerry Pittman Jr. and his boyfriend, Dustin Lee, have since filed charges against two of the men who beat them as well as Pastor Jerry Pittman. A hearing has been scheduled in Gibson County Court for Tuesday, October 4th.

One can’t help but wonder if Pastor Pittman really thinks Jesus would back him up on this assault?

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular

No one would be surprised to learn that there are right-wing Christians in this country who disapprove of homosexuality. Neither would it come as a surprise that in rural parts of this country, Christianity and homosexuality when brought together, can create a highly combustible mix.

But who could imagine the hate and rage that would motivate a Pastor to instruct deacons and members of his congregation, Grace Fellowship Church in Fruitland, TN. to physically attack a couple arriving in the church parking lot last Wednesday?

The fact that one of the gay men attacked happened to be the Pastor’s own son, Jerry Pittman, Jr., no doubt contributed to Pittman senior’s noxious edict. According to Pittman Jr., after hearing his Dad yell, “SICK’EM!:”

“My uncle and two other deacons came over to the car per my dad’s request. My uncle smashed me in the door as the other deacon knocked my boyfriend back so he couldn’t help me, punching him in his face and his chest. The other deacon came and hit me through my car window in my back.”

The attackers also verbally assaulted the couple continually with anti-gay verbiage which continued even after a Sheriff’s Deputy arrived on the scene. Bystanders and other congregants made no effort to stop the assault. For that matter, neither did the Deputy Sheriff. Once the barrage of punches ended, the Deputy refused to let the two victims press charges.

Jerry Pittman Jr. and his boyfriend, Dustin Lee, have since filed charges against two of the men who beat them as well as Pastor Jerry Pittman. A hearing has been scheduled in Gibson County Court for Tuesday, October 4th.

One can’t help but wonder if Pastor Pittman really thinks Jesus would back him up on this assault?

Clearly it's Christianity that is under assault in this country.

Won't someone please save the poor Christians.

(No, really. Now would be a great time to scoop them all up and take them off our hands, Jesus. We will be totes appreciative).

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited August 2012

(No, really. Now would be a great time to scoop them all up and take them off our hands, Jesus. We will be totes appreciative).

NONE of those people were Christians so don't blame them for this. They certainly say they are but they're very clearly wrong.

edit: And yes Christianity is under assault, it's supposed to be and it's a good thing. A remarkable number of them are realizing they haven't actually been anything close to Christian for hundreds of years and are actively trying to change it. It'd behoove you to actually give them some credit. Hate the Fake Christians all you want but your huge brush blaming isn't helping anyone.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    SmoogySmoogy Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

NONE of those people were Christians so don't blame them for this. They certainly say they are but they're very clearly wrong.

Yes, that's like saying the members of the Westboro Baptist Church are Christians.

Smoogy-1689
    3DS Friend Code: 1821-8991-4141
    PAD ID: 376,540,262

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    They also certainly weren't Scotsmen.

• Options
    MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    Cute guy on the street near my work talked me into donating to the HRC. And I got a sticker out of it. (Except I don't really trust random people on the street to accept my information, so I did it online after our conversation. It would probably be creepy to go back and show him the receipt on my iphone...)

• Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    Melkster wrote: »
    Cute guy on the street near my work talked me into donating to the HRC. And I got a sticker out of it. (Except I don't really trust random people on the street to accept my information, so I did it online after our conversation. It would probably be creepy to go back and show him the receipt on my iphone...)

HRC? My brain's not getting past "Hillary Rodham Clinton."

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular

edit: And yes Christianity is under assault, it's supposed to be and it's a good thing. A remarkable number of them are realizing they haven't actually been anything close to Christian for hundreds of years and are actively trying to change it. It'd behoove you to actually give them some credit. Hate the Fake Christians all you want but your huge brush blaming isn't helping anyone.

I have seen far more people calling themselves Christians with behavior that tended toward this, albeit non-violent, than I have ever seen people calling themselves Christians stand up for the rights of gays. Therefore, I disagree with you. The majority of people I have seen call themselves Christians tend toward the hate end of that spectrum, and therefore that is what a Christian is.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    Melkster wrote: »

HRC? My brain's not getting past "Hillary Rodham Clinton."

Human Rights Campaign.

• Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

I have seen far more people calling themselves Christians with behavior that tended toward this, albeit non-violent, than I have ever seen people calling themselves Christians stand up for the rights of gays. Therefore, I disagree with you. The majority of people I have seen call themselves Christians tend toward the hate end of that spectrum, and therefore that is what a Christian is.

Yeah. At this point I'm blaming all Christians for this kind of shit. Because it's their responsibility to get their house in order. As long as the 'good Christians' stand on the sidelines in these fights, they are just letting the loud nutjobs dictate the message.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular

Yeah. At this point I'm blaming all Christians for this kind of shit. Because it's their responsibility to get their house in order. As long as the 'good Christians' stand on the sidelines in these fights, they are just letting the loud nutjobs dictate the message.

Oh, I'm not arguing for blaming an individual. I'm arguing with this, "No true Scotsman" point. The definition of Christian, if we're going for an objective interpretation, should just fall to what the majority of people operating under the name adhere to, since absolutely no one strictly follows the rules laid out in the holy book or anything.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular

Apply this logic to a group you support, say feminists, and you'll see how goosey it is.