Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

LGBTT: It's Raining DOMA Rulings! (It's for Thread)

11011131516100

Posts

  • MortiousMortious Move to New Zealand Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    It seems that they're doing both in a way. They've got a different denomination, and they're showing that they're more accepting, and hopefully preaching acceptance. Sure they still have a way to go, but at least they're moving forward.

    I guess I don't see the reluctance to just point at them, and going "see, they're doing it right, be more like them". It's not like you have to do all or nothing.

  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    never die wrote: »
    Melkster wrote: »
    The number of Christian denominations that support homosexual relationships is small, and the proportion of adherants of those denominations is also really small.

    On the side of anti-homosexuality you have Catholic Church (which by itself dwarfs any other single denomination), the Orthodox Church, the LDS, The Southern Baptist Convention, The National Association of Evangelicals (and their Megachurch members), The United Methodist Church, and others. Together they make up the vast majority of Christian membership in the US.

    I don't disagree with you, but the Presbyterian Church (USA) and the Episcopal Church do equal about 5 million members combined, which while small, is still pretty good considering the ridiculous amounts of denominations in the US (The Southern Baptist Convention has around 17 million, and its one of the largest). I posted my previous post directly in response to the argument that every large denomination denounced homosexuality, which is not true. I also do want to point out that according to Gallup, only 35% of those under the age of 30 even go to church, so having two large denominations openly accept homosexual clergy and pastors is heartening to me. The largest groups may not be supportive of gay rights, but it is not the whole position and it is changing.

    The argument isn't that those things don't exist. It's that if you're trying to have a "no true scotsman" argument, the guys who aren't Christians? They're not the Catholics and Baptists. The Catholics and Baptists are the Christians. Everyone else is deviating from the Christian norm.

    "Well, look at this. Appears we got here just in the nick of time. What's that make us?"
    "Big Damn Heroes, Sir."
    "Ain't we just."
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    pretty hard to say exactly what's christian since I believe it is not exactly clear whether those top two denominations even acknowledge each other as christian

    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • MortiousMortious Move to New Zealand Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Also true. Then maybe a better line of attack would be to change the definition of christian to include tolerance. Should be easy, I think it's mentioned in the book a few times.
    Religions do get updated with the times every so often. I think it's time to update this one.

  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    KalTorak wrote: »
    If Christians are mad that other Christians are giving Christians a bad name, they should either change their name (including fragmentation) or change the wrong Christians' minds.

    Sorry but thems the breaks.

    "Changing the wrong Christians minds" is a good definition for half the wars in Europe. :P


    But this whole argument is pretty stupid because "Christian" is such a broad term but you people act like it's a fucking club or something. The Catholic Church has shit all effect on the Mormon Church for instance. "Christians" is not any sort of group with control over all parts of tiself.

    It's like saying "Some right-handed people are giving right-handed people a bad name. You right-handed people should do something about that."

    It doesn't make the least bit of sense.

    shryke on
  • MortiousMortious Move to New Zealand Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    shryke wrote: »
    KalTorak wrote: »
    If Christians are mad that other Christians are giving Christians a bad name, they should either change their name (including fragmentation) or change the wrong Christians' minds.

    Sorry but thems the breaks.

    "Changing the wrong Christians minds" is a good definition for half the wars in Europe. :P


    But this whole argument is pretty stupid because "Christian" is such a broad term but you people act like it's a fucking club or something. The Catholic Church has shit all effect on the Mormon Church for instance. "Christians" is not any sort of group with control over all parts of tiself.

    It's like saying "Some right-handed people are giving right-handed people a bad name. You right-handed people should do something about that."

    It doesn't make the least bit of sense.

    That's just the lefties propaganda. Everybody knows righties are a persecuted minority. Once they get their left-handed ways, righties will be forced to use their left hands.

    Data indicates that kids of left-handed parents are more likely to be left-handed, and have a higher divorce rate. Also, they're worse at using scissors and at BF3.

    Edit: God, Jesus and Reagan were right-handed. Luci, Stalin and Hitler were left-handed.

    Mortious on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Heard about this on conservative radio:Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    If Christians are mad that other Christians are giving Christians a bad name, they should either change their name (including fragmentation) or change the wrong Christians' minds.

    Sorry but thems the breaks.

    o_O

    There are, what? 1.6 billion Christians in the world?

    easybossfight_zps4752c132.gif
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    KalTorak wrote: »
    If Christians are mad that other Christians are giving Christians a bad name, they should either change their name (including fragmentation) or change the wrong Christians' minds.

    Sorry but thems the breaks.

    "Changing the wrong Christians minds" is a good definition for half the wars in Europe. :P


    But this whole argument is pretty stupid because "Christian" is such a broad term but you people act like it's a fucking club or something. The Catholic Church has shit all effect on the Mormon Church for instance. "Christians" is not any sort of group with control over all parts of tiself.

    It's like saying "Some right-handed people are giving right-handed people a bad name. You right-handed people should do something about that."

    It doesn't make the least bit of sense.

    Of course it does. The best change comes from within. Yeah, we as lgbt can rail at the Old Testament Christians who are hateful asses but that's not going to do as much as New Testament Christians changing things from the inside by challenging their long held hatreds.

  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Harrisonburg, VARegistered User regular
    When was the last time the Catholic Church changed anything based on protests from the laity?

  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    It ain't Christians that are the problem.

    It is those that use Christianity as a weapon to drive heinous actions and policy.

    It is religious grounds that families disown the gay, they don't do it for shits and giggles. They fear for their own and/or the gay, that their faith is threatened and their soul at risk.

    Real Christians. Not "bad Christians" that you can easily write off. How can they be bad Christians if the only thing you are faulting them on is their treatment of people in accordance with the tenets pushed by their faith?

    Many many people use Christianity for heinous shit, and that doesn't make them "not Christians" just because people don't want to tackle the issue.

    TwitchTV channel: OrokosPA check.php?c=OrokosPA
    Play D&D 4e? :: Check out Orokos and upload your Character Builder sheet! :: Orokos Dice Roller
    The PhalLounge :: Chat board for Critical Failures IRC! :: #CriticalFailures and #mafia on irc.slashnet.org
  • XobyteXobyte Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    KalTorak wrote: »
    If Christians are mad that other Christians are giving Christians a bad name, they should either change their name (including fragmentation) or change the wrong Christians' minds.

    Sorry but thems the breaks.

    "Changing the wrong Christians minds" is a good definition for half the wars in Europe. :P


    But this whole argument is pretty stupid because "Christian" is such a broad term but you people act like it's a fucking club or something. The Catholic Church has shit all effect on the Mormon Church for instance. "Christians" is not any sort of group with control over all parts of tiself.

    It's like saying "Some right-handed people are giving right-handed people a bad name. You right-handed people should do something about that."

    It doesn't make the least bit of sense.

    Of course it does. The best change comes from within. Yeah, we as lgbt can rail at the Old Testament Christians who are hateful asses but that's not going to do as much as New Testament Christians changing things from the inside by challenging their long held hatreds.

    And unless we keep up the pressure, those NT Christians won't feel the pressure to enact that change.

  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Oh lord, what have I done to the thread.

    steam_sig.png
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Heard about this on conservative radio:Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Oh lord, what have I done to the thread.

    The thread is in God's hands now.

    easybossfight_zps4752c132.gif
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus IT'S DARE! Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Do you believe Jesus Christ was the Son of God and died to save mankind from their sins?

    If you answered yes, you are a Christian.

    Sorry, but any sort of (im)moral behavior does not somehow exclude a person from being a Christian. In fact, it's kind of a big deal in Christianity about how you can be a terrible person and still be saved.

    Seriously, man, you either really know nothing about Christianity or you've purposefully warped it. Answering yes to that is like Step 1 of over 1,000,000 and yeah they're probably gonna make mistakes on the whole "be a better person" route. Granted some of those mistakes are deal breakers for me too, see above story, but that still doesn't mean the whole group goes down.

    What are the 999,999 other steps to being a Christian?

    I think you're misinterpreting my point about what it takes to be a Christian, which is that being a Christian says pretty much nothing else about what you do as a person, unless you explicitly point out that you're doing X because "the Bible says so". Which brings me to my other point, about the Bible being a moral mirror.

    spartasig.gif
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
  • MortiousMortious Move to New Zealand Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Do you believe Jesus Christ was the Son of God and died to save mankind from their sins?

    If you answered yes, you are a Christian.

    Sorry, but any sort of (im)moral behavior does not somehow exclude a person from being a Christian. In fact, it's kind of a big deal in Christianity about how you can be a terrible person and still be saved.

    Seriously, man, you either really know nothing about Christianity or you've purposefully warped it. Answering yes to that is like Step 1 of over 1,000,000 and yeah they're probably gonna make mistakes on the whole "be a better person" route. Granted some of those mistakes are deal breakers for me too, see above story, but that still doesn't mean the whole group goes down.

    What are the 999,999 other steps to being a Christian?

    I think you're misinterpreting my point about what it takes to be a Christian, which is that being a Christian says pretty much nothing else about what you do as a person, unless you explicitly point out that you're doing X because "the Bible says so". Which brings me to my other point, about the Bible being a moral mirror.

    Step 2: Don't be a dick.

  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus IT'S DARE! Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Mortious wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Do you believe Jesus Christ was the Son of God and died to save mankind from their sins?

    If you answered yes, you are a Christian.

    Sorry, but any sort of (im)moral behavior does not somehow exclude a person from being a Christian. In fact, it's kind of a big deal in Christianity about how you can be a terrible person and still be saved.

    Seriously, man, you either really know nothing about Christianity or you've purposefully warped it. Answering yes to that is like Step 1 of over 1,000,000 and yeah they're probably gonna make mistakes on the whole "be a better person" route. Granted some of those mistakes are deal breakers for me too, see above story, but that still doesn't mean the whole group goes down.

    What are the 999,999 other steps to being a Christian?

    I think you're misinterpreting my point about what it takes to be a Christian, which is that being a Christian says pretty much nothing else about what you do as a person, unless you explicitly point out that you're doing X because "the Bible says so". Which brings me to my other point, about the Bible being a moral mirror.

    Step 2: Don't be a dick.

    While that's certainly something Jesus preached, it's not required that you be a nice person to be a Christian. I'm not talking about what sort of guidelines people are supposed to follow to be "a good Christian", I'm talking strict definitions here. A true Scotsman comes from Scotland; it doesn't matter if he puts sugar in his porridge, if he's a dick, or if he's a teetotaler. Some of those things might make people consider him to not be much of a Scotsman, but a Scotsman he would be nonetheless.

    DarkPrimus on
    spartasig.gif
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
  • KalTorakKalTorak Registered User regular
    In fact Jesus spent a lot of time hanging out with assholes, as I recall.

  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    It's ridiculous to say that the only true christians are the one who think the way you do.

    It's just as ridiculous to say all christians are responsible for the actions of all other christians.

    Basically you're all being geese.

    Lh96QHG.png
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus IT'S DARE! Registered User regular
    Thank you for agreeing, AMFE. I assume you're agreeing with me, anyway, since that's the point I'm trying to drive home here.

    spartasig.gif
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I am.

    Now I would like to see my religion start treating the asshats like asshats and marginalizing them more, but the asshats still get to call themselves Christians.

    AManFromEarth on
    Lh96QHG.png
  • BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    In fact Jesus spent a lot of time hanging out with assholes, as I recall.

    And said to break off all contact with anyone who disagrees with you or doesn't follow your faith.

  • MortiousMortious Move to New Zealand Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Mortious wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Do you believe Jesus Christ was the Son of God and died to save mankind from their sins?

    If you answered yes, you are a Christian.

    Sorry, but any sort of (im)moral behavior does not somehow exclude a person from being a Christian. In fact, it's kind of a big deal in Christianity about how you can be a terrible person and still be saved.

    Seriously, man, you either really know nothing about Christianity or you've purposefully warped it. Answering yes to that is like Step 1 of over 1,000,000 and yeah they're probably gonna make mistakes on the whole "be a better person" route. Granted some of those mistakes are deal breakers for me too, see above story, but that still doesn't mean the whole group goes down.

    What are the 999,999 other steps to being a Christian?

    I think you're misinterpreting my point about what it takes to be a Christian, which is that being a Christian says pretty much nothing else about what you do as a person, unless you explicitly point out that you're doing X because "the Bible says so". Which brings me to my other point, about the Bible being a moral mirror.

    Step 2: Don't be a dick.

    While that's certainly something Jesus preached, it's not required that you be a nice person to be a Christian. I'm not talking about what sort of guidelines people are supposed to follow to be "a good Christian", I'm talking strict definitions here. A true Scotsman comes from Scotland; it doesn't matter if he puts sugar in his porridge, if he's a dick, or if he's a teetotaler. Some of those things might make people consider him to not be much of a Scotsman, but a Scotsman he would be nonetheless.

    Well, I said it mostly as a joke, but I do think there's more to being a Christian than just believing in Christ. I'd guess it should also include the end goal of getting into heaven, which has rules.
    If you define it as just belief, then you're going to be Christian, Jew, Satanist and Republican.

    But yes, as AMFE said, it's not my place to define Christianity, since I actually have no stake in it. But I was basically trying to argue his 2nd point.

  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Oh lord, what have I done to the thread.

    The thread is in God's hands now.

    Tube's?

    steam_sig.png
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Registered User regular
    never die wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Do you believe Jesus Christ was the Son of God and died to save mankind from their sins?

    If you answered yes, you are a Christian.

    Sorry, but any sort of (im)moral behavior does not somehow exclude a person from being a Christian. In fact, it's kind of a big deal in Christianity about how you can be a terrible person and still be saved.

    Seriously, man, you either really know nothing about Christianity or you've purposefully warped it. Answering yes to that is like Step 1 of over 1,000,000 and yeah they're probably gonna make mistakes on the whole "be a better person" route. Granted some of those mistakes are deal breakers for me too, see above story, but that still doesn't mean the whole group goes down.

    In a nicer way than others have done, but yes, they are Christians, the same way as WBC are Christian. They self-identify as Christian, and accept many of the basic tenants of Christianity (which change depending on the denomination). The only way to really classify a group is by what they self-identify as, what they feel they are a part of, unless the majority of the group rejects them. While most Christians, I believe, would not condone the beating of homosexuals by clergy in some obvious "cast the first stone" parallel (I'm still mind-blown that this did not cross those people's minds), Thanatos is correct that the majority of Christians (at least when polled) and denominations as a whole, in the U.S., find homosexuality to be wrong or a sin in some fashion. This is why I find it heartening that there are at least two large denominations that accept homosexuals in the clergy, as it is a huge jump in acceptance. There are even more groups that accept them in the church, so they are slowly changing their minds, especially as it becomes socially unacceptable to have those beliefs of homosexuality being wrong.

    Edit: Also, I agree with Mortious.

    The "he who is without sin, may cast the first stone" passage is an interpolation - the older, non-Byzantine texts do not include the story of Jesus and the adulteress.

    It's one of the few times Conservative Christians approve of source/form/higher criticism. They ignore it because it means they can be jerks while maintaining their conceit that their every word/thought/deed is "Bible-Based".

    What I see sees me.
    SODOMISE INTOLERANCE
    Tide goes in. Tide goes out.
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Do you believe Jesus Christ was the Son of God and died to save mankind from their sins?

    If you answered yes, you are a Christian.

    Sorry, but any sort of (im)moral behavior does not somehow exclude a person from being a Christian. In fact, it's kind of a big deal in Christianity about how you can be a terrible person and still be saved.
    That might be the theological position that modern Christianity ascribes (internally) to their deity, but I don't think it's very helpful as a mechanism for sorting Christians from non-Christians.

    That said, I also don't think there's a good yardstick at all - though it seems perverse to grant that "a Christian is someone who identifies as such" is a meaningful metric as well!

    What I see sees me.
    SODOMISE INTOLERANCE
    Tide goes in. Tide goes out.
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Do you believe Jesus Christ was the Son of God and died to save mankind from their sins?

    If you answered yes, you are a Christian.

    Sorry, but any sort of (im)moral behavior does not somehow exclude a person from being a Christian. In fact, it's kind of a big deal in Christianity about how you can be a terrible person and still be saved.

    Seriously, man, you either really know nothing about Christianity or you've purposefully warped it. Answering yes to that is like Step 1 of over 1,000,000 and yeah they're probably gonna make mistakes on the whole "be a better person" route. Granted some of those mistakes are deal breakers for me too, see above story, but that still doesn't mean the whole group goes down.

    Warped it from what? What would you say are the true tenants of Christianity and what do you think militates between alternative conceptions and interpretations?

    Because this is a non-trivial problem.

    What I see sees me.
    SODOMISE INTOLERANCE
    Tide goes in. Tide goes out.
  • never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    never die wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Do you believe Jesus Christ was the Son of God and died to save mankind from their sins?

    If you answered yes, you are a Christian.

    Sorry, but any sort of (im)moral behavior does not somehow exclude a person from being a Christian. In fact, it's kind of a big deal in Christianity about how you can be a terrible person and still be saved.

    Seriously, man, you either really know nothing about Christianity or you've purposefully warped it. Answering yes to that is like Step 1 of over 1,000,000 and yeah they're probably gonna make mistakes on the whole "be a better person" route. Granted some of those mistakes are deal breakers for me too, see above story, but that still doesn't mean the whole group goes down.

    In a nicer way than others have done, but yes, they are Christians, the same way as WBC are Christian. They self-identify as Christian, and accept many of the basic tenants of Christianity (which change depending on the denomination). The only way to really classify a group is by what they self-identify as, what they feel they are a part of, unless the majority of the group rejects them. While most Christians, I believe, would not condone the beating of homosexuals by clergy in some obvious "cast the first stone" parallel (I'm still mind-blown that this did not cross those people's minds), Thanatos is correct that the majority of Christians (at least when polled) and denominations as a whole, in the U.S., find homosexuality to be wrong or a sin in some fashion. This is why I find it heartening that there are at least two large denominations that accept homosexuals in the clergy, as it is a huge jump in acceptance. There are even more groups that accept them in the church, so they are slowly changing their minds, especially as it becomes socially unacceptable to have those beliefs of homosexuality being wrong.

    Edit: Also, I agree with Mortious.

    The "he who is without sin, may cast the first stone" passage is an interpolation - the older, non-Byzantine texts do not include the story of Jesus and the adulteress.

    It's one of the few times Conservative Christians approve of source/form/higher criticism. They ignore it because it means they can be jerks while maintaining their conceit that their every word/thought/deed is "Bible-Based".

    Meh, its still a popular story and the church that was actively mobbing and beating two homosexual men most likely understand the meaning of and subscribe to the story being biblical, so I think the viewpoint there still stands.

    I guess I should make it clear to that I wasn't arguing the people doing this cannot be called Christians, they most definitely are. Do I think they are good Christians? No, but then you get into the fun thing of what to describe Christianity as and who is good and bad and we get into interpretation and viewpoints again.

    The last thing I want to say on the subject matter is I don't think its fair to decry Christians as not doing anything, and then when its pointed out that their are large denominations that are actively changing their views on gay rights and becoming more LGBT friendly, to dismiss or ignore them. They are trying to change people's mindsets, starting with their own congregations and moving outward. It is a slow, uphill battle that will be going on for years after gay marriage is finally made legal all over the U.S., but it is something they are fighting and should not be discredited, even if a large percentage of Christian denominations are fundamentalist or asshats about LGBT rights.

    I also agree with the poster who said denominations can be like night and day in what they believe, practice, and the interlapping of worshippers. When I still went to church at a Wesleyan Church they were very different in outlook, beliefs, and practices than the Pentecostal Church some of my friends went to and tried to convert me to.

    In the end though I don't think we will agree and I feel we're starting to drag the thread off-topic some so I think at this point I'm just going to agree to disagree with people on some of the issue.

    never die on
    Spoiler:
  • MillMill Registered User regular
    I hope the deputy in the story that Muddbudd link not only gets fired, I hope this results in a black mark on his record that prevents any other shitty locality from hiring him. I'm a bit surprised that the gay couple didn't file a suit against him either, he stood back and let a mob of fundamentalist shithead Christians beat them up and then refused to let them file charges against the shitheads.

  • redxredx East Bumblefuck, PARegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Derp... stupid tablet, fat fingers, no delete

    redx on
    All I've got is a snuggle hammer.
  • KalTorakKalTorak Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Bigots better start boycotting expensive sunglasses.

    S3TPm.jpg

    KalTorak on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    That ad is not just awesome because of it's message, but that's just an awesome/cool ad in general. Mad props.

    "Well, look at this. Appears we got here just in the nick of time. What's that make us?"
    "Big Damn Heroes, Sir."
    "Ain't we just."
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    Oh wow, that's a ballsy ad

    0WBv0.png
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Bigots better start boycotting expensive sunglasses.
    Ray-Ban is owned by Luxottica, which means they're going to have to start boycotting a lot more brands than just Ray-Ban. For instance, basically everything carried by LensCrafters (which is also one of Luxotticas retail chains). They also own Oakleys, which is a popular brand with the bigots here in Florida.

    They also make glasses under license for designer labels like Polo, Ralph Lauren, Chanel, and Prada.

  • KalTorakKalTorak Registered User regular
    Aren't pretty much all sunglasses and glasses made by one company or something?

    That'll be a good way to spot the commercially-conscious bigots - just look for the squinters.

  • DeebaserDeebaser Alpha Teemo Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Bigots better start boycotting expensive sunglasses.

    S3TPm.jpg

    Why is the dad from Heroes holding hands with Captain America from Act 1?

  • BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Mortious wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Do you believe Jesus Christ was the Son of God and died to save mankind from their sins?

    If you answered yes, you are a Christian.

    Sorry, but any sort of (im)moral behavior does not somehow exclude a person from being a Christian. In fact, it's kind of a big deal in Christianity about how you can be a terrible person and still be saved.

    Seriously, man, you either really know nothing about Christianity or you've purposefully warped it. Answering yes to that is like Step 1 of over 1,000,000 and yeah they're probably gonna make mistakes on the whole "be a better person" route. Granted some of those mistakes are deal breakers for me too, see above story, but that still doesn't mean the whole group goes down.

    What are the 999,999 other steps to being a Christian?

    I think you're misinterpreting my point about what it takes to be a Christian, which is that being a Christian says pretty much nothing else about what you do as a person, unless you explicitly point out that you're doing X because "the Bible says so". Which brings me to my other point, about the Bible being a moral mirror.

    Step 2: Don't be a dick.

    While that's certainly something Jesus preached, it's not required that you be a nice person to be a Christian. I'm not talking about what sort of guidelines people are supposed to follow to be "a good Christian", I'm talking strict definitions here. A true Scotsman comes from Scotland; it doesn't matter if he puts sugar in his porridge, if he's a dick, or if he's a teetotaler. Some of those things might make people consider him to not be much of a Scotsman, but a Scotsman he would be nonetheless.

    The second best thing about this is that the wiki article on no true Scotsman, specifically list religion under its "Mis-attributing the Fallacy" section. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_scotsman

    The best thing about this is, i get to call this a not true "no true Scotsman".

  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Openly gay philanthropist Jon Stryker donates $325k to fight Minnesota gay marriage ban

    And I have an issue of Details, a fantastic fashion magazine, which has 3 of those ads, they're all great. I'll try and find more of them.

    Ah, here are the other two I saw in the magazine (they aren't, in my opinion, as perfect as the one posted above, but they're still good):

    1280-ray-bans-campaign-never-hide-rb75_kiss.jpg
    ray_ban_jitterbug.jpg

    Sweeney Tom on
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Now that's a great ad campaign. I actually want all the ads in a good high quality series of pictures.

    steam_sig.png
  • KalTorakKalTorak Registered User regular
    Ironically, I chiefly use my RayBans to "hide" the fact that my eyes are frequently staring at boobies.

  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Ironically, I chiefly use my RayBans to "hide" the fact that my eyes are frequently staring at boobies.

    I thought thats the main use of sunglasses in general

    steam_sig.png
    autono-wally, erotibot300
Sign In or Register to comment.