As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Spaaaace!] Curiosity Lands on Mars, Orbital Mechanics, Neil Armstrong is dead.

1111213141517»

• Options
    waywardwayward Registered User regular
    I think this might be what @Diannaochong remembers seeing - seasonal 'flows' of darkening soil on some Martian slopes. Seems it's still a bit of a mystery; some have suggested it might be brine, which could be a liquid at a lower temperature, but there was no water present according to the spectrometer on the MRO.

edensigi.jpg
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    There's no real reason it couldn't be ultra fine dust; get the right mixture of air into a rockslide and those flow like a liquid so fine dust plus low gravity = ?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    waywardwayward Registered User regular
    I think it's the fact that the phenomenon cycles with the seasons that has them interested/puzzled. I don't know enough to know if that rules out dust or not.

edensigi.jpg
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Soralin wrote: »
    There's an Earth-sized planet around Alpha Centauri B :)http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2012/10/16/alpha-centauri-has-a-planet/

Although it is a bit scorched, orbiting every 3.2 days or so.

If the official scientific name for this planet is not Chiron I am going to be incredibly disappointed.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Wasn't that the name of a planet in the Star Marine books from Ian Douglas?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    wayward wrote: »
    I think this might be what @Diannaochong remembers seeing - seasonal 'flows' of darkening soil on some Martian slopes. Seems it's still a bit of a mystery; some have suggested it might be brine, which could be a liquid at a lower temperature, but there was no water present according to the spectrometer on the MRO.

Bingo, that's what I was thinking of. Brine triggered the memory.

"Some aspects of the observations still puzzle researchers, but flows of liquid brine fit the features' characteristics better than alternate hypotheses. Saltiness lowers the freezing temperature of water. Sites with active flows get warm enough, even in the shallow subsurface, to sustain liquid water that is about as salty as Earth's oceans, while pure water would freeze at the observed temperatures. " So it being a brine would explain why it wasn't frozen.

Edit: if its seasonal, could it be tilt based on the planets rotation, and the surface only gets warm enough in certain seasons to melt down, and collects higher up during other seasons? Ignoring the cycle of evaporation that is. I think they stated it only happens in certain areas.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    wayward wrote: »

Bingo, that's what I was thinking of. Brine triggered the memory.

"Some aspects of the observations still puzzle researchers, but flows of liquid brine fit the features' characteristics better than alternate hypotheses. Saltiness lowers the freezing temperature of water. Sites with active flows get warm enough, even in the shallow subsurface, to sustain liquid water that is about as salty as Earth's oceans, while pure water would freeze at the observed temperatures. " So it being a brine would explain why it wasn't frozen.

Edit: if its seasonal, could it be tilt based on the planets rotation, and the surface only gets warm enough in certain seasons to melt down, and collects higher up during other seasons? Ignoring the cycle of evaporation that is. I think they stated it only happens in certain areas.

So lets land another rover near by and take a look. If we can put on an olympics every 2 years, surely we can send a few more rovers, right? Right?

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    To be honest, I would think smart people would of thought of that already, and I was being lazy and hoping someone would already know or go do the research for me. /cough.

But I am totally down with sending a bunch of rovers. Because once theres multiple, they can race. That's much more awesome then the olympics.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Aegis wrote: »
    Soralin wrote: »
    There's an Earth-sized planet around Alpha Centauri B :)http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2012/10/16/alpha-centauri-has-a-planet/

Although it is a bit scorched, orbiting every 3.2 days or so.

If the official scientific name for this planet is not Chiron I am going to be incredibly disappointed.

Chiron is the one a bit further out isn't it, sure the had the names for the others. Is Nessus the moon or their 'Mars'?

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    To be honest, I would think smart people would of thought of that already, and I was being lazy and hoping someone would already know or go do the research for me. /cough.

But I am totally down with sending a bunch of rovers. Because once theres multiple, they can race. That's much more awesome then the olympics.

Also I can continue to phase humans out of my Facebook feed, and replace it entirely with Mars rovers.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular

Brilliant! Martian rover races may be one of the best ways to get the rednecks to support space exploration

• Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    shwaip wrote: »
    water sublimates from solid->gas at 600 pascals (right around 0C, actually), so there's probably no liquid water there:

700px-Phase_diagram_of_water.svg.png

I studied physics and some chemistry for several years and I never saw a chart like that, and yet it is so simple and obvious. Thanks for posting this.

mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    [Tycho?] wrote: »
    shwaip wrote: »
    water sublimates from solid->gas at 600 pascals (right around 0C, actually), so there's probably no liquid water there:

700px-Phase_diagram_of_water.svg.png

I studied physics and some chemistry for several years and I never saw a chart like that, and yet it is so simple and obvious. Thanks for posting this.

Man, that sucks - it's a great chart. I saw it in Chem 1 when they brought up the Triple Point.

• Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Ice-9 is in the midle left.

<.<

>.>

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Clevinger wrote: »
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    I was watching Ann Druyan (Carl Sagan's widow) talk about this earlier (@ Planetfest 2012), as well as Seth MacFarlane, talking about the importance of this mission, and also the work they're doing on the new 'Cosmos' (which will be presented by Neil deGrasse Tyson *nerdgasm*).

Utterly, profoundly amazing, especially everything that Ann Druyan had to say. 8->

Could you give me a direct link to that video? I can't seem to find it, and I'd love love love to see it. Thanks.
    Aha! Found it. Took them a while to put it on youtube. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZHsft75R2c

• Options
    HotandnerdyHotandnerdy Hot and Nerdy Kansas CityRegistered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »

Brilliant! Martian rover races may be one of the best ways to get the rednecks to support space exploration

Pretty sure they would have to get beer in space also for that to happen. :P

girl.jpg
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »

Pretty sure they would have to get beer in space also for that to happen. :P
    http://news.discovery.com/space/space-beer-reaches-final-frontier-110303.html

'Wet burps'... :P

• Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Ugh. The mental image is now with me forever. Thanks.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Felix Baumgartner says NASA and missions to Mars are wastes of money.

Amazingly, my respect for him has dropped faster than he did a few weeks ago.

• Options
    See, I'd never heard of baumgartner before a month ago and I forgot he existed again until just now. I've never forgotten who Chuck Yeager, Yuri Gagarin, and Neil Armstrong are, and I never will.

• Options
    Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    Baumgartner doesn't even realize that he's betrayed his true intentions with that jump by making those statements--it's clear now that he's just some adrenaline junkie who used the whole "testing a new pressure suit" thing as a means to get his fix.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Disappointing to hear. :/

For people like Felix: If anyone ever tells you that space exploration is a useless endeavour, you send them right here:

http://www.ridingwithrobots.org/earth/ & http://goo.gl/PzNrE

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    UC San Diego is doing a webinar today with a lead mission control engineer from the mars landing at 1200 pacific. I won't be able to catch it due to class, but it sounds interesting.

http://casgc.ucsd.edu

MARS LANDING PRESENTATION: Hear from a young and dynamic lead engineer behind the most complex landing ever accomplished on Mars. NASA/JPL’s Brian Schratz will give a first-hand account of what it was like to work in mission control the night the Mars Science Laboratory (MSL) landed. Brian will discuss the MSL mission and Entry Descent & Landing telecommunications. His presentation will show the varied emotions among NASA/JPL mission control staff--ranging from anxiety to relief to celebration as each of the teams' tasks was accomplished. Included are reactions from around the world to news of the successful landing.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    So this could have an impact in how we do missions / set up bases on the moon (and maybe Mars):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFQFCeAas34

Tomanta on
  • Options
    I have doubts regarding the energy requirements of laser sintering actual lunar soil vs. NASA's simulants because I happen to know NASA make three different ones because they've never made one that works exactly right. Specifically they have one that reflects light the right way, one that crunches underfoot the right way, and one that looks right on TV. And it looks like these guys used the TV version when they ought to have used a blend of the first two.
    Or, you know, actual moon rock, since we have that.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Well the problem with actual moon rock is that we don't have that much of it to just use it for whatever

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Well the problem with actual moon rock is that we don't have that much of it to just use it for whatever

Which is why I propose that the next time we land on the moon we establish a moon mining base that will catapult rocks back to Earth. Along with cheese (moon cheese can be sold to offset costs).

• Options
    MarauderMarauder Registered User regular
    I want to believe the physics on this, but just cant wrap my head around it.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/50002675/ns/technology_and_science-space/
    The space plane, dubbed Skylon, only exists on paper. What the company has right now is a heat exchanger that is able to cool air sucked into the engine at high speed from 1,000 degrees Celsius to minus 150 degrees (1,800 degrees Fahrenheit to 238 below zero F) in one-hundredth of a second.

I mean, if its feasible in a real world, non lab setting awesome, and the ESA seems to be saying it is, but that still seems to be an order of magnitude of cooling that doesn't seem possible.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Liquid <gas> filled tubes maybe. The specific heat of a cubic metre of air at 1000C to 0 is only 500 or so kJ. Keeping those tubes cooled for a long flight though might get tricky

Phyphor on
  • Options
    MarauderMarauder Registered User regular
    Yeah, I mean I know its not that much of a feat to do it one time, at a hundreth of a second.....but to do it for the duration of flight from ground, to upper atmosphere, to when it adds hydrogen to the exit gases and combusts it, and finally starts spooling back the fan/jet portion of the engine.....seems like some pretty large leaps.