As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

help me teach me to dance on short notice

mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour CrrmEast Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
edited August 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
Hi folks.

So...I'm getting married soon (like...this weekend soon), and I managed to figure out how to waltz for the first dance, but I'm still not sure what to do for the mother/son dance. The song I chose is 'you'll be in my heart' from tarzan (the wedding is at disneyland). The problem is that I'm not sure what...dance moves? to use for this. Preferably something easy to learn, since I don't have much time left (yes, I should have thought of this before...but hindsight is 20/20, right?).

Sorry I'm a little disjointed, now that it's quickly approaching I'm suddenly having trouble articulating thoughts =(. Any help you guys can provide at this juncture would be greatly appreciated.

mightyjongyo on

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    The basic waltz move is a forward step then a side step.

Its difficult to explain in words, but simply step forward with one foot and bring the other foot up next to it (without putting it down on the ground, and move to the side shifting the weight onto that foot.

when you get a bit more confident with that, you can add in a turn during the side step and end up 45-90 degrees away from where you started.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    oh, sorry, you know the waltz ones but don't know what to do for your mother son dance?

honestly, just keep it simple and do another song that is suited to the waltz - To make "you'll be in my heart" fit to a waltz rhythm you would have to move unbelievably slowly

that song works better as a quickstep, but I have no idea how to explain a quickstep in words.

• Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    my vote goes to foxtrot!

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    PantshandshakePantshandshake Registered User regular
    Maybe try to find a dance studio in the area. You could probably pick up a simple dance in a few days.

Or, do what I did, be in the bathroom when they announce the mother/son dance.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    You put your right foot in. Then you take it out.
    Then you put it back in and shake it all about.

Seriously though. Get some lessons. One or two sessions should be all you need to pass a single night, though more is always a great thing because dancing is fun.

• Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    yea...I agree that dance lessons would be the best option. Unfortunately I left it for too late so there's not enough time to sign up for one (as far as I know).

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    There are some solid youtube tutorials out there, if you dig hard enough. If nothing else you can get the general idea.

• Options
    Well, time to bite the bullet and invite your mom to do the Macarena with you...

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Well, time to bite the bullet and invite your mom to do the Macarena with you...

Funky chicken is clearly the better dance.

• Options
    Better is relative. In my head, there was a competition to see who got too embarrassed to continue dancing first, op or his mom.

• Options
    EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I don't suppose it's possible to not worry too much about dance moves and just move slowly with your mom doing whatever you feel like at the time, since it's a slow song? Probably what most guests care about seeing is you and your mom spending a little quality time together after you've just gotten married. I think usually during the special dances, most people tend to spend the dancing time just talking to each other about the occasion instead of dancing, anyway. This is obviously true for the money dance (if you're doing one), but I think it's true for the others as well. She's your mom, anyway, and depending on how old she is she probably not only wouldn't mind you not doing anything super fancy, she might prefer it. Save your smooth moves for after the customary parent-child dances, I say!

But that's just, like, my opinion, man.

Essee on
  • Options
    @Essee makes a good point

You may find that you both enjoy the moment more if you aren't too fussed about getting the steps right and just enjoy some slow steps together. Moving slowly from side to side and occasionally turning around a bit is all that people expect you to do, and you will enjoy yourself more if not stressing about what to do.

For those who are already dancers, doing a dance at a wedding is perfectly normal. For those who are not dancers, the best thing is not to try to become one in a week.

• Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    For those who are not dancers, the best thing is not to try to become one in a week.

....this is a good point. I think I will take your guys' advice. Thanks everybody!