As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Half-Life] End of an Era

• Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Seriously?
    You could put this in any engine and have it look almost exactly the same.

Anyhow, mostly I am arguing against
    It's not that I find Source a bad engine or even ugly, but every engine has a certain distinctive look even when games using it employ different art designs. And the "Source look" is a bit old, in a way. Like UE3. It's not a tech thing, it's a visual identity thing. We need a refresh.
    because if you want a "refresh" in visual style you can seriously just make your stuff look different. Nothing about any modern 3D engine is chaining the games that use it to a certain look. If I copy paste a bunch of HL2 characters into Unreal and use HL2 textures on the world, it just looks like an HL2 map. There's no Unreal filter over the top that you can pick.

I think people very often think they can tell, but are actually making their connections after they've already found out what engine it is.
    I actually kind of did this myself when I read (incorrectly) that Dishonoured was on Source early on. I was all, oh yeah, that sure looks like Source. They've really done a good job making Source look good, there! But then it's Unreal. Whoops.

LaCabra on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Didn't Dishonored have the same art director as HL2?

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Didn't Dishonored have the same art director as HL2?

The guy who did a bunch of designs for City 17 and the Combine worked on a lot of the design for Dishonored, yes. That's the main reason people feel like it looks like a Source game, IMO.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Scosglen wrote: »
    Pretty much the only time I think I've ever been wrong is 1) I thought Dishonored was Source when...

Viktor Antonov worked as an art director on HL2, and went to work on Dishonored at Arkane. You were probably responding to the design aesthetic rather than the engine.
    No, I was responding to the lighting and motion blur. I'm not dumb enough to think that having a similar art style means a game is using the same engine as another game. Mirror's Edge 2 looks a lot like Mirror's Edge but that doesn't mean it's on UE3 rather than Frostbite 2.

• Options
    For me it was more the level design style, lots of simple geometry on stuff other people might have made a mesh for, stuff like that. That is more attributable to Arkane being full of guys who worked with Source for a long time and just being in certain habits that that instills.

• Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    Anyone come back to see like 100+ replies to this thread and secretly hope a half-baked Half-Life 2 Episode 3 rumour dropped at the very least ... I was about to type something more concrete but we all know if that happened this thread would be page 100 and locked already :P

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    MrDelish wrote: »
    Pretty much every Source game inherits that peculiar gliding feeling. I feel it most in HL2 but it's in every Source-based game I've played yet.

Wouldn't that just be because Valve's games have little to no head bopping while other shooters have a lot of it?

• Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Dark Messiah has some of the most intense headbob around, and it's still got a bit of the slidey feel.

And now I want to play Dark Messiah again.

• Options
    Peewi wrote: »
    MrDelish wrote: »
    Pretty much every Source game inherits that peculiar gliding feeling. I feel it most in HL2 but it's in every Source-based game I've played yet.

Wouldn't that just be because Valve's games have little to no head bopping while other shooters have a lot of it?

That is probably what it is. @MrDelish: "inherit" is the right word, it just comes from HL2. Did you ever play Dark Messiah? That had very different-feeling movement.

• Options
    Source games don't feel "slidey" - to me the big divide between game movement is Unreal vs iD lineage engines. So, on one side you have UE/UE2/UE3 and on the other hand you have everything going from Quake to Portal 2.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    I could tell the Zeno Clash 2 had switched to Unreal from the first trailer by the quality of the facial animation.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    apparently an update for HL2 today changed everything to Korean.

8F3t40H.jpg

was posted in [chat]

• Options
    wait... what?

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Probably just a glitch. Here's the patchnotes.
    We have released a Beta update for Half-Life 2 and associated games.
    Changes in this update are:
    Added a gl_finish cvar, useful for certain Linux GL drivers that require an explicit GL_Finish() at the end of each frame
    Fixed some materials having incorrect sounds when hit
    Fixed some missing responses from Rebel chatter
    Fixed bad lighting on some female rebel characters
    Fixed being able to pickup Grigori's annabelle in Ravenholme if you got to the wrong place at the wrong time

Edit: As for the article, it's probably just a general "state of Valve" thing where they'll talk about current stuff. Valve is aiming for a summer release for DOTA2, so I imagine that's what has prompted it.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    august wrote: »
    wait... what?

my reaction, yes.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Hahahahaha, "Basically Just A Big Room Full Of Knives"

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Oh shit, didn't pay enough attention to that scribbled out bit. It says something 3.

I'm guessing it'll be Left 4 Dead 3.

EDIT: No wait, I take that back, it looks VERY like Half-Life 3.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Oh shit, didn't pay enough attention to that scribbled out bit. It says something 3.

Looks kind of like it says "Half Life 3 Develop"

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Darmak wrote: »

Looks kind of like it says "Half Life 3 Develop"

Development. But yes, it definitely looks like Half-Life 3 to me now and not Left 4 Dead. Not enough room for L4D.

• Options
    Oh man, that's great. The best thing is there totally is a "Basically Just A Big Room Full Of Knives". You go in and you're all "woah" and then someone tells you that's like a tenth of Gabe's knife collection.

• Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    yeah i can make a H clearly.

might boot up my new korean HL2 to celebrate.

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    No way man it's totally Half Life 3 nothing no one says can take Half Life 3 from me it's totally real.

• Options
    lol

• Options
    LaCabra wrote: »
    Oh man, that's great. The best thing is there totally is a "Basically Just A Big Room Full Of Knives". You go in and you're all "woah" and then someone tells you that's like a tenth of Gabe's knife collection.

Serious?

Jesus that man owns a lot of knives.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Yeah I think it's just the overflow from his house. He also makes his own and gets crazy ornate swords and shit from WETA

LaCabra on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

Serious?

Jesus that man owns a lot of knives.

Don't worry. He has a perfectly good reason for having all those knives.
    The reason is stabbing.

• Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    when press turn up and ask about half life 3, he sends them into that room.

• Options
    I felt dirty for even typing that

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    jokes should be clearly labeled as such, you bastard

• Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited June 2013

Gabe-Newell-Teases-Half-Life-3-570x427_zps78e3ecfa.jpg

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Uh is that a shop or... what's going on here. Does that say HL3 in the background?

august on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Guns for show, knives for a pro.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    EDIT: WRONG THREAD

august on
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    august wrote: »
    Uh is that a shop or... what's going on here. Does that say HL3 in the background?

Photoshop.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    For everyone sad about Ep3 not being announced, check out Deep Down. I haven't played it yet, but the reviews suggest that in a lot of places it's as good as anything Valve has ever done.

edit: if you haven't converted to the Steam Pipe version of Ep2 make sure to read the comment about that on the page.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    For everyone sad about Ep3 not being announced, check out Deep Down. I haven't played it yet, but the reviews suggest that in a lot of places it's as good as anything Valve has ever done.

edit: if you haven't converted to the Steam Pipe version of Ep2 make sure to read the comment about that on the page.

How is it compared to Minerva? Minerva and Mistake of Pythagoras are the only HL2 mods where I've legitimately sat up and gone "wow, holy shit".

• Options
    Research & Development was really good

• Options
    Yes, Research and Development was great. HL2 with puzzles instead of guns was a great idea for a mod.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    I haven't played Left 4 Dead in a looong time.

I was fuckin' shocked to see that I had 400+ hours on L4D 1 and 300+ hours in L4D 2.

Had to put that game dowwwnnn....

Probly could've been fluent in another language by now if I'd just reallocated those hours. :(

I loathe the 'hours played' notice on Steam. It does nothing but make me feel bad about things.

RT800 on