As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Half-Life] End of an Era

• Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Gentlemen, read some of Mr. Tox's post history.

His stance will make sense after that.

No, thanks.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    The sequel received two extra campaigns (one of which L4D1 also got).. and a bunch of ported over content from L4D1. Oh, and I guess that fan campaign got added in too. Not exactly a whopping amount of new content over it's predecessor. So, how is that "fraudulant" exactly? That was the term you used, "fraudulant."

And make up your mind what you're angry about. First you complain about them being "fraudulent" about updating L4D1 enough, then you complain about how it would be pointless if they updated L4D1. You bring up how the Steam group has thousands of people in it, but the dismiss or deride those people when they change their mind, and then dimiss and deride the Steam group as being "pointless" and something you wouldn't bother joining anyway. It's getting pretty confusing here.

• Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    tox05 you are mentally deficient and your ridiculous arguments are not only tortuously rendered but also self-entitled and wholly presumptive.

With that said, can everyone please stop engaging with him now?

p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    EDIT: Ugh, I just realized that anyone clicking on this for the Half-Life 3 news is going to be stuck viewing a dumb, pointless argument. My bad. As an apology, here's a complete list of all the mailing groups

http://pastebin.com/Hm1dpcvX

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    EDIT: Ugh, I just realized that anyone clicking on this for the Half-Life 3 news is going to be stuck viewing a dumb, pointless argument. My bad. As an apology, here's a complete list of all the mailing groups

http://pastebin.com/Hm1dpcvX

I found myself in the chatlog the other day and decided to read a thread called itt lesbians

I was surprised at how quickly the thread went off the tracks, over the cliff and into the abyss

Tamin on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    I would play a four-player coop game called Thugz 4 Life. No lie. Make it happen Valve.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    I would play a four-player coop game called Thugz 4 Life. No lie. Make it happen Valve.

Payday?

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    I really hope the "Abuse" entry on the list of mailing groups is for a reboot of the old sidescroller, and not simply a bureaucratic entry.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    It's not that I find Source a bad engine or even ugly, but every engine has a certain distinctive look even when games using it employ different art designs. And the "Source look" is a bit old, in a way. Like UE3. It's not a tech thing, it's a visual identity thing. We need a refresh.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    I dunno, Titanfall looks pretty great and pretty different from, say, Portal 2, if you ask me, and TF2 has (or had... :( ) its own distinctive look.

• Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    wait, what.

titanfall is source?

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Geth, kick @thecanman from the thread.

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative A duck!. @TheCanMan banned from this thread.

• Options
    Geth, kick @flippy_d from the thread.

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative A duck!. @Flippy_D banned from this thread.

• Options
    Geth, kick @Stormwatcher from the thread.

• Options
    Affirmative A duck!. @Stormwatcher banned from this thread.

• Options
    Still catching up!

• Options
    So, in case anyone is wondering, tox stays and some people don't because tox didn't actually break any rules and the others did. That said, this is no longer the tox grudge against Valve thread, so shut up about it.

• Options
    wait, what.

titanfall is source?
    eeeeeeeyup.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    wait, what.

titanfall is source?
    eeeeeeeyup.

And not source 2, even.

Source may have the longest legs of any engine I can think of. It is insane to think that the engine that powered half life 2 a decade ago can do everything Titanfall is doing.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    That shit is a workhorse, man. They intended for it to be a long lived, flexible engine, right? It's amazing how much they succeeded.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Hey guys

If some guy is saying something you super don't like, that's a real shame. Under the rules of the forum though, he's totally allowed to do that. If you think that someone is taking it too far, use the report button and we'll check it out.

What you absolutely don't get to do is call them a troll, whine and scream at them, post stupid gifs and generally make arseholes of yourselves. Tox was absolutely not the person who was fucking up this thread, the people responding to him were. This policy is not up for debate.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I hasten to add that this doesn't mean he was not 100% shithouse wrong about his actual, terrible opinions. This is the last post that needs to address that though.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    syndalis wrote: »
    wait, what.

titanfall is source?
    eeeeeeeyup.

And not source 2, even.

Source may have the longest legs of any engine I can think of. It is insane to think that the engine that powered half life 2 a decade ago can do everything Titanfall is doing.

Constantly being updated and all that.

Even rewatching the gameplay video, I'm not really sure what "everything Titanfall is doing" is supposed to be. It has decent sized maps with a nice looking skyboxes? The nice animations? The spaceship intro? AI guys in a multiplayer game?

Peewi on
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    It's not that I find Source a bad engine or even ugly, but every engine has a certain distinctive look even when games using it employ different art designs. And the "Source look" is a bit old, in a way. Like UE3. It's not a tech thing, it's a visual identity thing. We need a refresh.

This is some common-ass bunk. HL2 doesn't look like Zeno Clash doesn't look like Titanfall doesn't look like Portal 2 doesn't look like Alien Swarm doesn't look like TF2 doesn't look like Dear Esther. Mirror's Edge doesn't look like Gears of War doesn't look like Mass Effect doesn't look like Dungeon Defenders doesn't look like Borderlands doesn't look like Zeno Clash 2. Zeno Clash 2 does look like Zeno Clash 1.
    Game engines doesn't look like anything. Artists decides what games look like.

What decides when a game engine needs upgrading is mostly the tools, and Source's have been pretty much the worst you can pay for for years.

LaCabra on
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    You don't think the tools available shape the aesthetic to any extent? I haven't played all the games on your list there, but I'd find that a very shaky concept.

That's not to say it's a bad thing, I've loved every Source game I've played. But I've never looked at a painting and thought, "I bet that was made with clay."

The tools effect the aesthetic.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    LaCabra wrote: »

This is some common-ass bunk. HL2 doesn't look like Zeno Clash doesn't look like Titanfall doesn't look like Portal 2 doesn't look like Alien Swarm doesn't look like TF2 doesn't look like Dear Esther. Mirror's Edge doesn't look like Gears of War doesn't look like Mass Effect doesn't look like Dungeon Defenders doesn't look like Borderlands doesn't look like Zeno Clash 2. Zeno Clash 2 does look like Zeno Clash 1.
    Game engines doesn't look like anything. Artists decides what games look like.

What decides when a game engine needs upgrading is mostly the tools, and Source's have been pretty much the worst you can pay for for years.

He's right though, in that you can usually tell which games are running UE3 or Source or Doom 3, for example. The artists obviously contribute most of a game's aesthetic, but each engine has a visual flavor that usually gets thrown in there, too.

Of course there are games that buck that, but I can definitely see where he's coming from.

edited so people know who the hell i'm talking to

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Used to be you could identify Unreal Engine games by the burliness of the characters.

• Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    Nah man you can tell a games engine pretty clearly most of the time.

• Options
    Well now you tell an Unreal Engine game by the texture pop-in.

• Options
    I don't suppose anyone knows why Titanfall went with Source, do they? Have any of the developers said anything on that?

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    What makes game engines recognizable is not the visual look usually, but the sharing of technical flaws and glitches. UE3's texture pop being the most common example. Every UE3 game, literally every one, has some texture pop as the game loads high res resources.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    I don't suppose anyone knows why Titanfall went with Source, do they? Have any of the developers said anything on that?
    To get 60 FPS on consoles.

• Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    Pretty much every Source game inherits that peculiar gliding feeling. I feel it most in HL2 but it's in every Source-based game I've played yet.

• Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    You don't think the tools available shape the aesthetic to any extent? I haven't played all the games on your list there, but I'd find that a very shaky concept.

That's not to say it's a bad thing, I've loved every Source game I've played. But I've never looked at a painting and thought, "I bet that was made with clay."

The tools effect the aesthetic.
    The tools can shape the aesthetic, sure. They don't have to, though. Usually when they do it's a matter of falling back on the art or code that came with the engine - SiN Emergence looks and feels like Half-Life 2, because it uses so much of the stock HL2 code and even art. Then Zeno Clash comes along and looks nothing like HL2, because they used almost 100% their own assets. Most of their level design wasn't even done in Hammer.

To put it another way, the Source engine doesn't really have a "look", but HL2 has a definite "look", and it's easy to fall into using it because that's the set of assets you start out with.
    I'm not saying you can't ever tell what game an engine is running on by playing it, you often totally can (a good example being minor glitchy stuff like the ue3 mipping thing several of you raise), but it's not the engine that has a style, it's the art. The idiosyncrasies you notice are almost always something a developer can easily remove.
    I have no idea, it's pretty bizarre. I guess it's possible that they're actually using Source 2.

Edit: EXAMPLE: I made a mod called Shotgun Sunrise for Half-Life 2. Then I made an iPad game based on it, on UE3, called Vroom, using mostly the exact same assets. I was excitedly asked, many times, "Zomg! How did you port the Source Engine to iOS?!?!" because people thought I had "that Source Engine look".

LaCabra on
  • Options
    DredZedDredZed Registered User regular

According to this article, they went with Source because they were familiar with it, and could rely on it to hit a constant 60 fps on current generation systems. This was before they decided to shift to next gen of course.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LaCabra wrote: »
    Edit: EXAMPLE: I made a mod called Shotgun Sunrise for Half-Life 2. Then I made an iPad game based on it, on UE3, called Vroom, using mostly the exact same assets. I was excitedly asked, many times, "Zomg! How did you port the Source Engine to iOS?!?!" because people thought I had "that Source Engine look".
    FWIW I think it's pretty easy to tell Source from UE3 even with the same assets in the case of Shotgun Sunrise vs. Vroom!. And yes, I can tell that Zeno Clash is a Source engine game just by looking at it. Pretty much the only time I think I've ever been wrong is 1) I thought Dishonored was Source when they released the first 3 screenshots (many, many months before we saw the game for real, and the screenshots were low res) and when I watched Titanfall at low res I thought it wasn't Source. But aside from that I think it's pretty clear when something's UE, when something's idTech, and when something's Source.

• Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    I really don't think anyone in the public would have guessed Titanfall was source if they weren't told. I'm not a graphics programmer, I don't know if there's like... common libraries of shaders or something that get reused amongst licensees or something, but I think the reality is probably confirmation bias more than the engine having some kind of unmistakable signature, or at the very least the truth is somewhere in the middle.

I have some doubt that anyone in this thread looked at Titanfall and immdiately went "oh, that's a source game, I can tell by the pixels"
    Pretty much the only time I think I've ever been wrong is 1) I thought Dishonored was Source when...

Viktor Antonov worked as an art director on HL2, and went to work on Dishonored at Arkane. You were probably responding to the design aesthetic rather than the engine.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    MrDelish wrote: »
    Pretty much every Source game inherits that peculiar gliding feeling. I feel it most in HL2 but it's in every Source-based game I've played yet.

I don't remember that feeling from playing Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines : Colons

But then again I played that game in third-person a lot and how many Source games do you play in third-person?