As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The American Presidency: Gekko/Galt 2012! (Or: Ruh-roh, RomRy!)

enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
edited August 2012 in Debate and/or Discourse
In this thread, we are to:

Do:
Talk about Mitt Romney's tax returns!
Bemoan our media's inability to call bullshit on contextectomies.
Speculate about the Republican VP choice!
Talk about ads we find interesting!
Link polls! Analyze the internals therein!
Sadly link the monthly job reports and weekly unemployment claims numbers!
Liveblog The Rachel Maddow Show when relevant (Preacher and me mostly)!
Laugh at Rush Limbaugh's stupid conspiracy theories!
Discuss largely meaningless tactics from the two sides!
Tell people to vote!
Argue about on topic stuff!

Do not:
Engage in 10 page tangents about, say, the definition of the internet that distract from anything meaningful!
Contribute nothing other than tell another poster he's a useless loser who makes shit up. If you feel you must, call him or her a goose once and then stop responding to them.
Be a dick!

Current Happenings
President Obama maintains a real, although relatively small, lead over Mitt Romney. 538 has him as a nearly 3 to 1 favorite to win at the moment, for example. The usual tracker vs. non-tracker gap has maintained itself. Gallup/Ras has the race a statistical tie, while most of the non-trackers see it between 4 and 10 points for the President. 7 seems to be the most popular number. Romney is burdened with a deep personal unlikeability, having a hard time getting his favorable ratings much above 40 ever. In contrast, McCain was always viewed favorably by most of the electorate four years ago. The President, meanwhile, has somewhat rough job approval numbers, though they are improving, with high favorability. People like Barack Obama personally.

Over the last few weeks, the major theme dominating the media cycle has been Mitt Romney's refusal to release his tax returns. Speculation as to why has run rampant, with options ranging from "he's just a douche like that" to "he undertithed" to "he paid nothing in taxes." Harry Reid has inserted himself into the conversation by claiming a Bain investor with knowledge of the taxes says that he paid none at all. This is rumor and innuendo, but not the sexy kind, so Harry Reid has been widely castigated by the same press that loved discussion of say, Vince Foster's murder or Monica Lewinsky giving Bill Clinton a blowjob.

Also prominently featuring lately has been Mitt Romney's insultcation, where he toured America's allies and insulted either them or American troops by proxy. So well done for that, Mr. Romney.

Yesterday we were all focused on Romney blatantly lying about welfare reform to revive the old black people are stealing white people's stuff meme from the Reagan era. So that was fun.

Today's brouhaha was caused by this ad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj70XqOxptU

General outrage on the right, but mostly the issue has been Romney campaign spokeswoman Andrea Saul saying that "if they had lived in Massachusetts they would have had health care" outraging the usual suspects on the right. Limbaugh, Coulter, etc.

89 days remaining!

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
ElJeffe on

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Newt Gingrich also f'd up as a surrogate saying he would have done a better ad about Obama as a welfare president...

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Newt Gingrich also f'd up as a surrogate saying he would have done a better ad about Obama as a welfare president...

Gingrich will make up for that by travelling through the South on horseback the week before the election, dressed as a Confederate soldier and yelling "The President's a (n-word)!"

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Lawndart wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »

Gingrich will make up for that by travelling through the South on horseback the week before the election, dressed as a Confederate soldier and yelling "The President's a (n-word)!"

Wherein he'll get shot by some old white racist who didn't get a high school diploma and thought that Newt was dressed as a Union soldier.

Edit: keep in mind this post is in jest.

To keep things on topic, if Portman is copying Biden on the VP thing by making it seem like he isn't going to take the job. His cheer leading for Romney could make this really obvious. I do have to roll my eyes at his insinuation that the dem ideas are stale while his side is bringing in new ideas. The reality is that the GOP isn't bringing new ideas to the table at all, hell I don't think they're bring much to the table outside of no compromises, fuck the poor, bomb iran, cut regulation and cut taxes for the wealthy. Did I miss anything?

Mill on
  • Options
    Wow, that took four posts to both veer wildly off topic AND wish for the death of a Republican. Well done, team.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    i don't know why your post made me laugh as much as it did, Mill.

I am surely going to hell for that.

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Can we add something else obscure and horrendous to the pile? Conspiracy theories?

Local news in LA is that the Paultards are fighting the local GOPs for delegates. They won 17, the state GOP is giving them 14, they want 24.

• Options
    adventfallsadventfalls Why would you wish to know? Registered User regular
    Is 24 enough to give them a majority?

NintendoID: AdventFalls 3DS Code: 3454-0237-6080
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I'm enjoying the aggressive angle the Democrats are taking this time around. I know Obama HAD to try and appease across the aisle in the dirty, stupid name of bipartisanship (something the GOP has killed), mostly because "partisanship" was the shittiest thing a political party could do in 2008, but these days it's different. We need this guy to set some shit in motion to get America back on the real, progressive, factually-proven track we were on since The New Deal hit.

We went, what, 50 years without a financial crisis caused by our own banks? Then deregulation in the 80's, and banks fuck up the economy (Savings and Loan scandal). Deregulation in 99, and banks fuck up the economy (2007 Economic Crisis... and yes, it started in 2007, not 2008). Our banks are using these new and improved methods of screwing the little guy, but the banks in France did the same shit (they even did subprime loans) and the end result of that was the French Revolution.

We need to regulate the shit out of Wall Street before we go into another Depression. One that'll make this past recession seem like we lived in the land of milk and fucking honey.

• Options
    LA has 46 delegates, so yes.

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    i don't know why your post made me laugh as much as it did, Mill.

I am surely going to hell for that.

By default, all liberals go directly to Hell upon dying. There we take our place among the sodomites, the whores, the gamblers, the alcoholics, Hollywood celebrities, rock stars, lawyers, tax auditors, and professional wrestlers.

Basically, Hell's a party, and I, for one, cannot wait to party the fuck down.

• Options
    KelzorKelzor The Grey Man Registered User regular
    This just in:

Due to all of his VP choices rejecting him, Romney decided to pull a Caligula.

Ladies and Gentlemen, your new Vice President.

Jan-Ebeling-Rafalca-IMG_6158.jpg

• Options
    You forgot bankers and nazis.

• Options
    @lonelyahave

I doubt you'll go to hell for that. The sad reality is there are probably a fair number of racist white people that would mistake the uniform of the Confederacy for a Union uniform and they probably fly Confederate flags to boot.

-Anyways, I expect the next few days to be slow given we're finishing off the Olympics and going into the conventions. This is of course assuming that no bombshells happen. I just don't see either side really wanting to throw anything big into the news cycle when it could be overshadowed by ending of the London Olympics.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I will say one thing about the horsey.

He's a very good looking horsey. Very handsome, good coloring.

And after watching some of the dressage and show jumping events (apparently horsey events are big in New zealand) I can say that I would welcome Rafalca as part of our government.

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Kruite wrote: »
    You forgot bankers and nazis.

I also "forgot" rapists, murderers, thieves, and liars. Way to ruin my fun metaphor, jerk. :(

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    What's this about Romney insulting people all over?

• Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    Basically he said it was "Concerning (I think)" that the UK was having security trouble with the Olympics. Then he said the Palestines had worse culture than Israel, which is why they're so poor. Then his spokesman told reporters to, "Have some respect, this is a holy place, kiss my ***!" at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Poland. It was pretty great. Also he cited Poland and Israel as being rad places (who happen to have universal healthcare which he missed mentioning.)

Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    What's this about Romney insulting people all over?

NATIONAL LAMPOONS "R-MONEY EUROTRIP!"

• Options
    Also some of the veterans/active duty people here were pissed because he saluted Polish soldiers while conspicuously avoiding our troops in, say, Afghanistan.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    General outrage on the right, but mostly the issue has been Romney campaign spokeswoman Andrea Saul saying that "if they had lived in Massachusetts they would have had health care" outraging the usual suspects on the right. Limbaugh, Coulter, etc.

His own campaign actually said that? I didn't expect them to take the bait on that one, they'd probably have been better off trying to play it off as just an attack on Romney's character.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    If we throw all people in hell that lied we'd all be in hell for some kind of offense.

"Removed the asshole and incorrect comment"

Can someone post the article in which an ex-Mormon described Mitt as a man who has never had his authority challenged. It needs to be read by everyone, because their church hierarchy seems to be very different from other "christian" sects. (I don't consider it Christianity)

Kruite on
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »

His own campaign actually said that? I didn't expect them to take the bait on that one, they'd probably have been better off trying to play it off as just an attack on Romney's character.

No way. ACA is getting popular as the president goes on the offensive and this is a hard pivot by the campaign.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    No matter how popular the ACA gets, his base is going to hate it forever.

• Options
    KalTorak wrote: »
    No matter how popular the ACA gets, his base is going to hate it forever.

It's kind of fascinating really. Part of Romney's problem right now is that he has to appeal to the GOP base and frankly it's split.

On one side you have republicans like spool who are okay with ACA, might even want to go for single payer. On the other side you have the teapers. Looking at how things have gone, you see the clean split on a number of big issues (same-sex marriage, contraception, education just to name a few).

So by appealing to one side of his base, Romney effectively alienates another side. At this point, I think the teaper faction is probably the larger one and while appeasing them will ensure that more of the base will vote for him, it doesn't play well with most independents or democrats that are willing to vote for people without D next to the name.

• Options
    Is it too much to hope that he bugs out in a flip-flop infinite loop trying to appease both sides of the base?

• Options
    ACA?

Sorry, I missed the last two months.

• Options
    ACA?

Affordable Care Act.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    ACA?

Obamacare, which was declared completely perfectly constitutional by SCOTUS a couple months ago.

It was based on Romneycare in Massachusetts and Romney has been running against that for four years.

Now suddenly he says that if the woman in the Super PAC ad had lived in MA she'd still be alive because of his wonderful government sponsored insurance mandate.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Wow. I'm not used to seeing good ads by the dems.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    So Ann Coulter lost her shit, I hear. With good reason, but I don't say that out of empathy. This possibly blew the campaign big time for Romney.

• Options
    Oh hey so it's what I thought it was and not something else entirely. Cool, thanks.

• Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    Kruite wrote: »
    If we throw all people in hell that lied we'd all be in hell for some kind of offense.

"Removed the asshole and incorrect comment"

Can someone post the article in which an ex-Mormon described Mitt as a man who has never had his authority challenged. It needs to be read by everyone, because their church hierarchy seems to be very different from other "christian" sects. (I don't consider it Christianity)

I know a lot of you don't have any (or much) use for Christianity, but mormonism is basically the scientology of Christianity.

Walkerdog on MTGO
  • Options
    @Quid in case you missed this, his campaign is also fighting in Ohio to not let people do the 3-day early voting and restrict it to active duty. So of course b/c the Obama campaign is fighting to get everyone the 3day window, they're against soldiers.

Walkerdog on MTGO
  • Options
    @Quid in case you missed this, his campaign is also fighting in Ohio to not let people do the 3-day early voting and restrict it to active duty. So of course b/c the Obama campaign is fighting to get everyone the 3day window, they're against soldiers.

God fucking dammit.

I hate that the GOP is essentially against voting.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    So Ann Coulter lost her shit, I hear. With good reason, but I don't say that out of empathy. This possibly blew the campaign big time for Romney.
    Yeah, it's a colossal fuck up to basically try to turn away criticism of your candidate by drawing attention to the template for his opponents greatest domestic policy achievement. It's hard to believe they could screw up that badly.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    Yeah, it's a colossal fuck up to basically try to turn away criticism of your candidate by drawing attention to the template for his opponents greatest domestic policy achievement. It's hard to believe they could screw up that badly.

Not really. Romney's been fucking up his campaign for a while now.

• Options
    2and2is52and2is5 Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I like to imagine that Julia Louis Dreyfus' staffers from Veep are actually running the Romney campaign.

2and2is5 on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    2and2is5 wrote: »
    I like to imagine that Julia Louis Dreyfus' staffers from Veep are actually running the Romney campaign.

Malcolm Tucker would have screamed the entire campaign staff to death by this point.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    I'd suggest someone should put together a drinking game where you take a shot every time he fucks up but I'm afraid that would result in someone dying from alcohol poisoning.

Mill on
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    I cannot wait to see the contortions Mitt will go through to placate his base on this one.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
This discussion has been closed.