As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Good cheap desk.

NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and StuffRegistered User regular
edited August 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
So I'm moving into a new, non-furnished place and one of the things I need to pick up is a desk for my desktop computer. I'm looking for something that has a decent writing space and some depth for monitors and speakers. I'm hoping to keep it under 150 and, if I can, get it from a place like Amazon with free shipping.

Basic deminsions I'm thinking like 25-30" depth and 50" width. It doesn't need any complicated drawer/shelf arrangements though I guess those would be welcome too.

Thanks in advance!

edit: I'd prefer it if you can suggest desks you have personal experiance with- I'm interested in the day-to-day life with them and... most of the reviews on Amazon neglect desktop computers

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
Rorus Raz wrote: »
There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
cakemikz wrote: »
And then I rub actual cake on myself.
Loomdun wrote: »
thats why you have chest helmets
Nappuccino on

• Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    Do you have an Ikea near you?

• Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    Sadly not- shipping from Ikea would be about 350 too...

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Do you have any means to buy one/transport one rather than order one? Personally, I would shop for a desk in person. Desks are also one of those big, annoying furniture items that people tend to craigslist.

• Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    Do you have a Goodwill nearby? Sometimes you can find some decent furniture in places like that for incredibly cheap prices. You'll need to have some way to transport it back to your place, though. So tying it down to the roof of your car might work. Just put a quilt or something down on your car's roof first so you don't scratch it all up.

• Options
    It'd depend on how big the box ends up being. I don't have a pickup- more a glorified station wagon.

My initial plan was actually going to be to build a desk from pintrest but....but I just haven't had the time or interest. I guess it is still on the table if I can get something that isn't too time intensive.

There is a goodwill in town, but it's a college town and I'm sure I'm not the only one in need of a desk. It certainly won't hurt to look though.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    If you get in now, you never know, just don't wait until the last week of august. The best time to look for this stuff is in spring when those college kids who dont plan anything have to throw out all their shit and get on planes for the summer.

I would look around town before resorting to the internet. If you plan to draw on it, you don't want something wobbly and cheap.

• Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited August 2012
    If it's a college town then there's more than likely a desk or two in there. I don't think that University starts for a couple of weeks so you may want to poke your nose in there. If you're interested in building something custom then you should check out instructables.com for some desk plans. You could probably put together something that you'll like a lot more than what you get from a store. You'll more than likely have to put it together either way. For the cost of lumber and some hardware you could have something that isn't in everyone else's house.

Grifter on
  • Options
    Oh man, I didn't even think about drawing- I was just concerned with getting enough surface space for writing once my keyboard and monitor are sitting up on it.

College starts in a few weeks. I guess my line of logic is, those who are getting houses/unfurnished apartments are moving in the same time as me so they'll probably be picking up the desks... and I'm not sure if those'll even fit in my car once they're already built. I could strap it on my roof but I've never done that before so I'd be really nervous about it.

• Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    Oh man, I didn't even think about drawing- I was just concerned with getting enough surface space for writing once my keyboard and monitor are sitting up on it.

College starts in a few weeks. I guess my line of logic is, those who are getting houses/unfurnished apartments are moving in the same time as me so they'll probably be picking up the desks... and I'm not sure if those'll even fit in my car once they're already built. I could strap it on my roof but I've never done that before so I'd be really nervous about it.

Theres a first time for everything, including fleeing the scene of a desk flying off the roof of a car and causing property damage.

You may want to keep an eye on Office Max and the MaxRewards (search Slickdeals for the latest ones) as they have had a couple of $5 desk chair after rebate and 20+% off desks in the past six months.

EDIT:

Actually till the 11th MaxRewards (Office max's reward program) has a desk chair for $10 after rebate

The way "MaxRewards" works in a nutshell is you buy a item at full price (example is the desk chair) http://www.officemax.com/office-furniture/chairs/product-prod3770181 and at the end of the month you get the rebate on your card which can be used on other items at Office Max.

So you'd pay $100 right now on that chair, in a couple of weeks you'd get $90 back on your Rewards card that could be used on other items at Office Max like a desk...Basically what you get back is like a gift certificate.

While I know you aren't looking for a chair it might be a way to stretch your budget some.

iRevert on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Two saw horses and a steel door.

• Options
    iRevert: hah, that is a fair enough point :P I wish I had more to buy from office max but really, I only need to grab a desk. Maybe I can pull my roomates together and see what they need if anything.

CH: you might not be too far away from my end result lol

• Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    repurDecor4PoorBC.JPG

milkcrate.3uflzy4yqg8wo44ooook8w4c0.bc67xig3hwgk4kog4so80ssks.th.jpeg

• Options
    I'm actually going to be doing a variation of that for the first couple weeks there... but I've got a job and a bit of cash to spend so I don't mind getting a dedicated desk assuming I can find one I like.

• Options
    HewnHewn Registered User regular
    Glass desks have their own pains (like smudges everywhere!) but they come apart entirely and are super light. I moved one, easily, in a station wagon a few weeks ago. Picked it up at a garage sale for $15.

Keep an eye on craigslist, I see stuff like this all the time there for less than $30, so at your budget you're in good shape to get something nice second hand.

Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Craigslist! It's super obvious but I've never actually used it and didn't give it a thought. Thanks :)

Nappuccino on

• Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    I cannot help you find your desk, but when you find the right one it's something you'll cherish always. Mine weighs more than I do and has a reputation amongst those of my friends who have helped me moved ("that fucking desk") but it's perfect in every. way. You'll know when you find the right one because when you sit at it, it feels like home.

Or maybe I just spend too much time on my computer, I don't know. A good desk is more important than a good bed, if you're spending a significant amount of time at it. Mattresses are easy to replace, desks not so much.

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png