As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dust: An Elysian Tail] Gorgeous XBLA Metroidvania made by one guy

mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
edited August 2012 in Games and Technology
Figured I'd make a thread about this game since it's going to be releasing in less that a week.

That, and the launch trailer came out today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg81GcutanQ&feature=youtu.be&hd=1

For those of you who don't know, this is a platformer/Metroidvania with crafting and hack & slash elements. Oh and it looks almost as good as a Vanillaware game, but runs smoother, which is surprising considering it's made by one guy. And it's 1200 spacebux, which is not too bad considering some reports have put the game at like 10 hours (obviously skepticism should apply here).

Hopefully the game plays as good as it looks.

steam_sig.png
mynameisguido on

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Okay, this looks good. But this SoA has been such shit, I'll need to hear from opinions here. Still, it looks fantastic. This might be the first one I get.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Cantido wrote: »
    Okay, this looks good. But this SoA has been such shit, I'll need to hear from opinions here. Still, it looks fantastic. This might be the first one I get.

Well I think that JSRHD is going to make it all better no matter what, but hopefully this helps too.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    This looks amazing

I blame the rest of the Summer of Arcade for people not talking about it more

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    This looks pretty good. The only problems I have are the voice acting is a little over the top, it seems more platformer then Metroidvania and eww furries.

Any chance it'lll be on Steam eventually?

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Y U NO OTHER PLATFORMS.

An X-Box is pretty much the only thing I don't have. Hopefully we'll see it somewhere else - it usually doesn't take very long for indie games to multiply like a Tribble to every platform in existence if it gets to be successful on its initial offering.

• Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    I've played this for a few hours so far (got an early review code since I know the developer) and it's good. Like Game of the Year good.

The game is published by Microsoft, is the highlight of this year's Summer of Arcade, and was developed primarily by one guy. Ports are unlikely.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    I've played this for a few hours so far (got an early review code since I know the developer) and it's good. Like Game of the Year good.

The game is published by Microsoft, is the highlight of this year's Summer of Arcade, and was developed primarily by one guy. Ports are unlikely.

Hasn't EVERY game that's been an SoA "exclusive" ended up on Steam? Plus everyone knows he'd make a ass load more money with a Steam release.

Magic Pink on
  • Options

But is it 85 on Metacritic good?!

These are the important questions that you have to ask!

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Hasn't EVERY game that's been an SoA "exclusive" ended up on Steam? Plus everyone knows he'd make a ass load more money with a Steam release.

Not every game but most of them. If there is a PC port, I wouldn't expect it anytime soon for various reasons.

In any case, if you own a 360, you should definitely pick it up. Besides being a fantastic game, you're helping to support future game development by Dean Dodrill.

• Options
    Shadow Complex, Splosion Man, Trials HD...some of the best ones never left the 360

• Options

Not every game but most of them. If there is a PC port, I wouldn't expect it anytime soon for various reasons.

In any case, if you own a 360, you should definitely pick it up. Besides being a fantastic game, you're helping to support future game development by Dean Dodrill.

Nah, looks great but I'll hold out for PC.

• Options
    KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I'm almost glad that Darksiders 2 isn't coming out for another week here in England, because it means I can concentrate on playing this.

That said, I must remember to amble down the city tomorrow and buy some MS points.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    I heard about this game... years ago. Glad to see it's finally coming out. But I didn't see anything in that trailer that indicated any Metroidvania elements.

• Options
    First wave of reviews.

IGN - 8.5/10
    Destructoid - 8.5/10
    Official XBox Magazine - 9.5/10
    Game Revolution - 4/5
    Gamer Limit - 9.5/10

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

Good for sales.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    SmallCaveGamesSmallCaveGames Registered User regular
    Awesome. Been waiting a long time to see this one - I remember when he won the XBLIG contest and it looked sick then. Now that trailer really shows how hard he's been working on it. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

• Options
    Just to note here, the trailer is at 30fps and the game actually runs at 60fps. I downloaded a 60 fps version from somewhere and it is mindblowing. Hopefully the sites that have HD videos on their site will have that version available.

And if you want to get a better sense of the game, IGN has a video up with developer commentary on the first ten minutes

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Donnicton wrote: »

Good for sales.

You missed the joke, and I am sadpanda.

• Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    So this is out Wednesday? I've been looking forward to it since Giant Bomb started talking about it. I love the way the guy talks about development. "I don't know. I thought it might be fun to learn to program. Or whatever. Then this happened."

• Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Maybe I'm mis-remembering things, but I thought this game came out years ago. What's changed?

l_g on
    Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    l_g wrote: »
    Maybe I'm mis-remembering things, but I thought this game came out years ago. What's changed?

Dust won Dream Build Play in 2009 but it was little more than a demo at that point (and was never publicly released).

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

Nah, looks great but I'll hold out for PC.

Same

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    If you don't have a 360, that's one thing, but it boggles my mind that people could pass up a great game that they want on a system they own just in case it comes to another platform. Even if it does get ported to the PC, it's not like it's going to be any better on the PC - it's a 2D game (so no fancy 3D upgrades) and it already runs at a smooth 60 frames per second.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    If you don't have a 360, that's one thing, but it boggles my mind that people could pass up a great game that they want on a system they own just in case it comes to another platform. Even if it does get ported to the PC, it's not like it's going to be any better on the PC - it's a 2D game (so no fancy 3D upgrades) and it already runs at a smooth 60 frames per second.

Except for more hard drive space, easier and more patches, mods if I want them, almost certainly cheaper, not giving money to that terrible Microsoft purchase system that's hacked constantly... well, everything really. So you must not be trying very hard to think of reasons. The only advantage it has is portability; I can take my hard drive to someone else's house and play the game.

• Options

Except for more hard drive space, easier and more patches, mods if I want them, almost certainly cheaper, not giving money to that terrible Microsoft purchase system that's hacked constantly... well, everything really. So you must not be trying very hard to think of reasons. The only advantage it has is portability; I can take my hard drive to someone else's house and play the game.

The game's not very big so size shouldn't be an issue. It doesn't need patches (haven't run into any bugs or glitches) and I doubt it would get mods even if it was on the PC given the kind of game it is. Aside from a few FIFA-related hacks (which were never proven to be a MS issue; they were probably a case of people getting people's passwords from other services), MS's system is as secure as anything out there. So basically it boils down to being cheap.

I just think it's sad when a high quality 10-20 hour game with gorgeous graphics & music in a genre that people say they want more of isn't deemed worthy of $15. Especially when the thing was made by a single person and so sales directly impact whether or not he can keep making the games he wants to make or if he needs to go find a job elsewhere.

• Options
    If you're worried about CC info you can always just use a points card. I had bought a $20 for Dawnguard that I'll now put towards this and JSRHD instead.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I went from not knowing about this to definitely buying it Wednesday morning, even despite my reflexive "Eww, furries!" initial reaction. Looks like this year's Shadow Complex.

• Options

The game's not very big so size shouldn't be an issue. It doesn't need patches (haven't run into any bugs or glitches) and I doubt it would get mods even if it was on the PC given the kind of game it is. Aside from a few FIFA-related hacks (which were never proven to be a MS issue; they were probably a case of people getting people's passwords from other services), MS's system is as secure as anything out there. So basically it boils down to being cheap.

I just think it's sad when a high quality 10-20 hour game with gorgeous graphics & music in a genre that people say they want more of isn't deemed worthy of $15. Especially when the thing was made by a single person and so sales directly impact whether or not he can keep making the games he wants to make or if he needs to go find a job elsewhere.

Wow, there is simply no way you can be this thick. Size IS an issue, my drive is full. You can say it doesn't need patches and that's crap, every damn game I have on the 360 needs patches and the damn thing can only store about 3 or 4 of them max; yet ANOTHER reason to go PC because my fucking patch is permanent. You can doubt mods all you want; it's completely idiotic but go for it. The FIFA hacks were absolutely an MS issue, did they pay you to say they weren't? Because that's the only reason anyone would say that unless they were completely unaware what was happening in regards to it.

And so now all you can do is throw insults with no literally no base. I'm cheap. That's really pathetic. You know what, smart guy? I'll happily pay 20$ for the fucking game on PC. If your shit attitude hadn't soured me on the whole game that is.

• Options

I just don't like playing on the 360 anymore and am only playing games on my prefered platform from now on: PC. I'd cancel my XBL sub and sell the thing but for watching Netflix in the living room with the wife.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Eh, no point in continuing this fight.

The embargo is over so to give some more details about the game.

General structure is an Action/RPG/Metroidvania. It's closer to something like Order of Ecclesia or Zelda 2 in that the game consists of several smaller levels as opposed to one big level (like say Shadow Complex). Most levels are mostly linear but have various branches for secrets and the like.

When you gain enough XP, you LV-Up and can upgrade your Health, Attack, Defense or Magic. There are also several types of equipment you can use that boost your stats in various ways. Oh and there's a crafting system that you can use to make more powerful equipment.

Your main character is highly mobile. You're fast, can dodge in either direction (on land and in the air) and can also do a tornado thing that lets you sort of fly.

In addition to the regular Metroidvania-esque stuff where you explore, fight, gain new abilities, etc., there are also battle arenas where you try to get as many points as possible in a limited amount of time and can gain treasure and XP from doing so. Online leaderboards, of course.

The music is just as good as the visuals.

Very similar in tone to Working Designs' old stuff in that the plot is pretty serious but will occasionally throw out a silly reference or joke.

Haven't completed the game, but I've heard it's about 10 hours to beat and around double that if you want to do everything.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    God forbid people want to play a game on their chosen system. I mean, yeah, I'm sure it sucks for a guy who has worked a long time on a video game to not sell more copies of that video game because it's on one platform instead of another, but some people have preferences about these things or a full XBOX hard drive or they don't like to have to unplug their PS3 or Wii and plug in their XBOX if they can help it or they have to share their TV with their wife and 3 kids but they have their own computer or their XBOX just RRoD'ed or they like to be able to download their game from Steam or they like the Steam community features or they don't like how XBOX Live limits patching and potentially leaves you stuck in a Fez-like situation or whatever.

• Options
    God forbid people want to play a game on their chosen system. I mean, yeah, I'm sure it sucks for a guy who has worked a long time on a video game to not sell more copies of that video game because it's on one platform instead of another, but some people have preferences about these things or a full XBOX hard drive or they don't like to have to unplug their PS3 or Wii and plug in their XBOX if they can help it or they have to share their TV with their wife and 3 kids but they have their own computer or their XBOX just RRoD'ed or they like to be able to download their game from Steam or they like the Steam community features or they don't like how XBOX Live limits patching and potentially leaves you stuck in a Fez-like situation or whatever.

Wrong. You're supposed to buy it on the initial system so that it's a success and he ports it to the system that you want it on, so that you can buy it again and play it there.

Don't you know how these things work?

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Well I don't have an XBOX so there. Now you can't even come up with a joke reason for me to buy it!

Except maybe you can buy XBOX stuff through a normal Internet browser.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    The XBox hacks were due to human engineering. With any system, humans are the weakest link, especially humans that are likely paid a shitty wage and largely read from a script. The hacks were blown out of proportion because of the way Microsoft handles tainted accounts. The PSN and more recent Battle.net hacks are far more troubling given the sheer volume of compromised accounts (hundreds of thousands). The Battle.net hack is especially worrisome as the authenticator was compromised as well. Let's also not forget that Steam itself had a security breach which prompted them to add the security code via email layer.

But, yeah, the Microsoft hacks have been way overhyped. And no, Microsoft didn't pay me, nor am I a fanboi (own all three systems, am not a gibbering moron).

• Options
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    But, yeah, the Microsoft hacks have been way overhyped. And no, Microsoft didn't pay me, nor am I a fanboi (own all three systems, am not a gibbering moron).

You'll have to try harder to convince me of that last one :P

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Darmak wrote: »
    Nightslyr wrote: »

You'll have to try harder to convince me of that last one :P

At worst, I'm a gibbering doofus.

• Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    If it becomes apparent that the game won't make it to PC, then I'll buy it on 360, but I'd really rather not. My PC is my own, the consoles are hooked up to a TV that is very often in use.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    Bought a 1600 point card today

My body is ready

• Options
    If any you want to look at the HQ trailer, Gamercide is hosting it (one of the links at the bottom):

http://www.gamercide.org/dust-an-elysian-tail-launch-trailer/

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    Shame if it doesn't come out for PC.

Haven't used the 360 in forever, it's probably dead anyways by now. And even when I did, I never even plugged it in online. Probably why I stopped using it, since the number of games that need patching after launch seem to have become the majority. Standards for consoles have gone to hell from what I've seen lately.

Anyways, hope it comes out for PC. Not going to cry if it doesn't, but it would be nice.