As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Presidential Election 2012: I'm too old for this Mitt.

• Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    it's a symbiotic relationship

good job political cartoon for pointing that out

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    Andrew RyanAndrew Ryan Registered User regular
    Hello election thread.

How is your election going?

Mbt2W.gifbLHcF.gifMbt2W.gifbLHcF.gif
    naknaknaknaknak
  • Options
    dbrock270dbrock270 Registered User regular
    Hello election thread.

How is your election going?

Sup Paul Ryan.

• Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    fucking wisconsin

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    paul ryan clinching the critical double first name vote

• Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular

But Silver qualifies it by saying that it's probably mostly a veep nomination bump, and a below-average one in the world of VP bumps

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Also that's electoral votes and not national percentage, which at 0.2%

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular

That's for the EC forecast. It's a minor shift as polling in several swing states has gone both ways. His summary of the popular vote is +0.2% for Romney, which seems pretty negligible compared to past races. We might have more complete polling next week, though.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Druhim wrote: »
    Effef wrote: »
    Rolo wrote: »
    5pNY3.jpg

thanks, obama

isnt that like

the point

thats how taxes work

fuck

that's not what it's suggesting
    it's suggesting that successful businesses built this country's infrastructure with all the taxes they pay and implying that all us citizen schlubs are basically getting a free ride
    which is even dumber

I don't know where you are getting the "free ride" part. It looks like a fair response to a dumb argument Obama never should have incited.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    I keep thinking about that study, and how it draws all these conclusions but then seems to show that actually the conclusions aren't all that solid, except you wouldn't know unless you knew what R-squared was

I feel like I must be misreading it because the alternative is unpleasant

• Options
    dbrock270dbrock270 Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Obama never incited that argument, the GOP took something he said out of context. He was saying that we all work together to make a prosperous country and the GOP took that as an example of how Obama is anti-business.

dbrock270 on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    5pNY3.jpg

thanks, obama

isnt that like

the point

thats how taxes work

fuck

it's suggesting that successful businesses built this country's infrastructure with all the taxes they pay and implying that all us citizen schlubs are basically getting a free ride
    which is even dumber

I don't know where you are getting the "free ride" part. It looks like a fair response to a dumb argument Obama never should have incited.

What argument would that be, exactly?

• Options
    dbrock270 wrote: »
    Obama never incited that argument, the GOP took something he said out of context. He was saying that we all work together to make a prosperous country and the GOP took that as an example of how Obama is anti-business.

His comments in-context were still foolish and his point was poorly made.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2012
    5pNY3.jpg

thanks, obama

isnt that like

the point

thats how taxes work

fuck

which is even dumber

The standard conservative trope is that the rich pay too much in taxes and fuck the government for daring to take so much from successful businesses that "create" jobs and wealth because those companies don't need the government. Because somehow that infrastructure that we all contributed toward and benefit from I guess was just magically summoned by Corporate Jesus back in yon olden days. In response to pointing out that taxes built the infrastructure those businesses benefit from, the cartoon is trying to suggest that successful business and wealthy citizens paid for it with their massive tax burden. The whole cartoon doesn't make any sense (from a conservative, tax dodging perspective) if it's simply pointing out that everyone's taxes paid for that infrastructure, because then poor, beleagured businesses and wealthy dudes can't cry about their tax burden killing jobs and destroying the trickle down economics.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    5pNY3.jpg

thanks, obama

isnt that like

the point

thats how taxes work

fuck

which is even dumber

The standard conservative trope is that the rich pay too much in taxes and fuck the government for daring to take so much from successful businesses that "create" jobs and wealth because those companies don't need the government. Because somehow that infrastructure that we all contributed toward and benefit from I guess was just magically summoned by Corporate Jesus back in yon olden days. In response to pointing out that taxes built the infrastructure those businesses benefit from, the cartoon is trying to suggest that successful business and wealthy citizens paid for it with their massive tax burden. The whole cartoon doesn't make any sense (from a conservative, tax dodging perspective) if it's simply pointing out that everyone's taxes paid for that infrastructure, because then poor, beleagured businesses and wealthy dudes can't cry about their tax burden killing jobs and destroying the trickle down economics.

Or it's pointing out that these "business owners" can fairly claim responsibility for their successes because it's not like they're utilizing these resources for free. "the rest of us" were compensated for their work the same way every business pays rent, buys supplies/equipment, and pays employees. I really don't understand where Obama thought that speech would take him.

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    5pNY3.jpg

thanks, obama

isnt that like

the point

thats how taxes work

fuck

which is even dumber

Or it's pointing out that these "business owners" can fairly claim responsibility for their successes because it's not like they're utilizing these resources for free. "the rest of us" were compensated for their work the same way every business pays rent, buys supplies/equipment, and pays employees. I really don't understand where Obama thought that speech would take him.
    To a place where people don't pretend that the fruits of their "Labor" are not built on the back of the State. Also a place called reality.

• Options
    The closer your R-square coefficient is to the value 1, the better your line of fit fits your data.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    5pNY3.jpg

thanks, obama

isnt that like

the point

thats how taxes work

fuck

which is even dumber

It started off as a pretty reasonable "you didn't get there on your own", and by implication "let's come together"; nothing wrong with that assertion.

But I cannot imagine how he thought saying the sentence "If you've got a business, you didn't build that" would go over well.

• Options
    5pNY3.jpg

thanks, obama

isnt that like

the point

thats how taxes work

fuck

which is even dumber

To a place where people don't pretend that the fruits of their "Labor" are not built on the back of the State. Also a place called reality.

A State that is financed by...

Also, I was unaware that the State's role in infrastructure development was a point of contention.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    not people like tpaw

aka mr bridges falling down

because according to republicans we don't need infrastructure spending. in fact we don't need any spending outside the military according to paul ryan.

• Options
    I would very much like to see a citation that shows Paul Ryan speaking out against infrastructure spending.

• Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    Well his budget plan slashes it, does that count?

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular

That constitutes a difference of opinion on how much the State can afford to spend on it in a given year

so, in a word, no.

• Options
    I retract the earlier statement, since I'm looking through his plan right now and can't find infrastructure stuff. I do really like the "super majority required to pass anything that would ever increase revenue" bit though.

• Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    i personally constructed, brick by brick, every room in my house and business and i will not have anyone insinuate otherwise.

reposig.jpg
  • Options
    sarukun wrote: »

That constitutes a difference of opinion on how much the State can afford to spend on it in a given year

so, in a word, no.

Also, said spending that's not attached to something else he is against.

There is no doubt much of this election is about what the role of government should be but infrastructure spending (at least in general) is not part of that debate.

• Options
    it really oughta be, given the state of the US bridge/highway system

also our generally pathetic public transport and infrastructure. why is high speed rail unamerican

reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    I would very much like to see a citation that shows Paul Ryan speaking out against infrastructure spending.

http://redgreenandblue.org/2012/08/14/paul-ryans-fortune-comes-from-the-infrastructure-spending-that-paul-ryan-wants-to-slash/

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2012/08/14/689581/ryan-undermine-infrastructure/?mobile=nc

http://grist.org/politics/picking-ryan-means-picking-a-fight-on-transportation/

http://votesmart.org/candidate/key-votes/26344/paul-ryan/64/transportation-issues

April 2, 2004 HR 3550 Highway Trust Fund Bill Bill Passed - House (357 - 65) Nay
    June 14, 2006 HR 5576 Transportation, Treasury and Housing Appropriations Act Bill Passed - House (406 - 22) Nay
    June 29, 2006 HR 5672 Commerce Department Appropriations Bill FY 2006 Bill Passed - House (393 - 23) Nay
    Nov. 14, 2007 HR 3074 Appropriations for the Department of Transportation and the Department of Housing and Urban Development Conference Report Adopted - House (270 - 147) Nay
    Dec. 6, 2007 HR 6 Energy Act of 2007 Concurrence Vote Passed - House(235 - 181) Nay
    June 11, 2008 HR 6003 Amtrak Reauthorization Bill Passed - House (311 - 104) Nay
    June 26, 2008 HR 6052 Public Transportation and Alternative Fuel Grants Bill Passed - House (322 - 98) Nay
    July 24, 2008 HR 3999 National Highway Bridge Reconstruction and Inspection Act Bill Passed - House (367 - 55) Nay
    Dec. 16, 2009 HR 2847 Employment, Infrastructure, and Transportation Appropriations Concurrence Vote Passed - House (217 - 212) Nay

Paul Ryan's Statement In The 2013 Budget Proposal
    In the first two years of the Obama administration, funding for the Department of Transportation grew by 24 percent — and that doesn’t count the stimulus spike, which nearly doubled transportation spending in one year. The mechanisms of federal highway and transit spending have become distorted, leading to imprudent, irresponsible, and often downright wasteful spending. Further, however worthy some highway projects might be, their capacity as job creators has been vastly oversold, as demonstrated by the extravagant but unfulfilled promises that accompanied the 2009 stimulus bill, particularly with regard to high-speed rail.

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    I would like more trains.

• Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    As a resident of a state whose Republican governor rejected high speed rail stimulus funds... Wha?

• Options
    I would like more trains.
    Paul Ryan says no, you may not have them.

• Options
    Also note how he is in the crazy minority on a lot of DOT bills.

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    if we just cut all government spending and let businesses take care of these things directly

you know, cut the middleman

• Options
    if we just cut all government spending and let businesses take care of these things directly

you know, cut the middleman

mad-max-thunderdome.jpg

reposig.jpg
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Fucking Florida Dipshit killed our plans for the high-speed rail

wanted that fucking train

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    the new premier here in queensland is one of those cut-all-government-spending types

(that's basically the governor, for you americans)

massive cuts to every aspect of the public service and such fun things as literary awards and every climate change program

thousands of jobs lost in what was once a fairly stable economy

so i am planning to leave the state and watch it collapse from a safe distance

Crimson King on
  • Options
    american politics are rubbing off on all the commonwealth countries

hth LOL

reposig.jpg
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Fandyien

Fandy

Fandy

I love Doc Martin so fucking much

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Quoth wrote: »
    As a resident of a state whose Republican governor rejected high speed rail stimulus funds... Wha?

High-speed rails are money pits. I think there's like one high-speed rail on earth that doesn't operate at a loss. Maybe its worth it to you but it's not completely senseless to reject funding that has to be allocated towards something you know will become a burden in the future.

This discussion has been closed.