As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Skyrim: Now with realistic horse vaginas! Dragonborn DLC out 12/4.

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    actually, I don't mind the Jarl so much

getting rid of both the forsworn king and as many of the silverbloods as I can is enough

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Mars wrote: »
    Elves are basically descendants of the original deific beings that were trapped on Nirn when it was separated from Oblivion. Some elves believe that mortality is basically a corruption of the original divinity, and so they try to undo what Lorkhan and the Aedra did in creating Mundus.

By contrast, humans were created on Nirn, essentially from the shattered divinity of Lorkhan himself, and the human religions generally believe that mortality is a trial through which an even higher divinity can be reached(which was possibly the ultimate goal of Lorkhan in the first place).

An interesting effect of the empire under Septim rule is that the dissemination of ideas combined with the empire's generally inclusive attitude fostered a major change among the Altmer. Where before the Thalmor were completely in control of Altmer culture, by the time of Uriel VIII, they'd become a minority, bordering on apparent nonexistance. Of course they came back in force immediately after the Oblivion crisis, suggesting a foreknowledge of, or perhaps even a hand in, Dagoth Ur's invasion.

course one of the reasons the invasion could happen in the first place is because the events of the previous games kept inadvertently deactivating towers, weakening the separation between mundus and oblivion

I'm guessing this invigorated the thalmor, who thought if these assholes could weaken the barrier on accident think of what we can do on purpose

how convenient that the leader of the mythic dawn was a high elf who slandered lorkhan and wanted to join tamriel and oblivion

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    Markarth is cool

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    Dawnstar is cooler.

jkZziGc.png
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I would like dawnstar a lot more if it wasn't so remote

I like the more metropolitan cities

Solitude and Riften are my favorites

• HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    Windhelm isn't bad after you kill Ulfric.

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Ulfric's corpse won't go away and I couldn't ressurect him so I draped him and bear-man over the two fire things that sit on either side of the throne

2x39jD4.jpg
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    I sat him on this throne with a sword on his lap, his dog sits at his feet

Kwoaru wrote: »
    Ulfric's corpse won't go away and I couldn't ressurect him so I draped him and bear-man over the two fire things that sit on either side of the throne

I stripped them naked and positioned them 69'ing on the war room table.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Hunter wrote: »

wait

hold the phone

you can move bodies?

this changes everything

what's the default button for that on PC?

• Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    I think holding E will do it? Or whatever your pick up button is.

VRXwDW7.png
    Shorty wrote: »
    Hunter wrote: »

wait

hold the phone

you can move bodies?

this changes everything

what's the default button for that on PC?

Same as for any item. Hold in your select/open button and it will pick the item up. Usually first person view is the easiest to maneuver around an object. Sometimes kneeling helps too if you're trying to fine tune a placement.

For bodies, I recommend grabbing the corpse while standing over it and looking down, then move your sight line up like you're looking straight ahead. The body should pick up off the ground by a leg or arm (something like that) and the rest will dangle and drag across the floor.

Getting them up on a table may take some practice, but it's doable. Positioning Ulfric and his Bear-Skin wearing body guard doing 69 on the war table is priceless.

If I remember right for some reason heads are unreasonably heavy in Skyrim

2x39jD4.jpg
    see I tried to do it once with the same button it was in Fallout 3, which is Z

this gave an entirely different result

screaming at a corpse in an ancient, eldritch tongue of power is also hilarious, but for entirely different reasons

• WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    Can you waste Ulfric before the peace council thing?

What happens then?

Walt wrote: »
    Can you waste Ulfric before the peace council thing?

What happens then?

No, Ulfric is considered essential until the conclusion of the civil war if you choose to back the empire. You can attack him and ''kill him'', but he'll only go down on one knee and then get back up with full health.

On a side note, if you kill Ulfric and finish the civil war before going to Sovrengard to finish off Alduin, you can run into the spirit of Ulfric on the way to Shor's Hall. You can beat the shit out of ghost-Ulfric over and over without drawing attention from any other spirit.

Just a fun thing to do if you hate Ulfric as much as I do. Even when I'm playing my Nord warrior. Fuck the Stormcloaks.

• SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    death is no escape

• GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    I'm having to do some real double-thinking to side with the stormcloaks on the character I'm getting ready for Dragonborn. Basically having to pretend he's gone off the rails a bit (which means it's also a good time to do the dark brotherhood questline).

Only mildly convincing reason I've seen in-game to back Ulfric is from Degaine (the guy who becomes Jarl of Falkreath if it goes stormcloak). He doesn't trust Ulfric as far as he can throw him, but his responsibility is to the people so it's better to deal with Ulfric than some faraway emperor who doesn't give a damn about them.

I feel like the guy whose job it is to carefully place food and plates and cups on tables must have cried when they told him the very first dragon shout is "knock over and scatter shit everywhere"

2x39jD4.jpg
    edited December 2012
    I really, really wish there was some way to conclude the Civil War questline that leaves Skyrim free of the Empire without also putting Ulfric in charge

Shorty on
  • GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    I really, really wish there was some way to conclude the Civil War questline that leaves Skyrim free of the Empire without also putting Ulfric in charge

If they made it like New Vegas where you could just do it all yourself that'd be awesome.

But then there we would be absolutely no reason to do it any other way.

The civil war story would have been cooler if it had really changed anything

But the only visible difference is the leaders of whatever side you didn't chose end up being forced to hang out in one castle right?

I honestly would have never bothered to finish the quest if I could have done the story without it

That and the Blades giving me shit about parthuunax were the most disappointing things

2x39jD4.jpg
  • WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    watch parthubro become the new alduin

shoulda listened to delphine!

• MaratastikMaratastik Just call me Mara, please! Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Olorin wrote: »
    Olorin wrote: »
    Where are you guys getting this info about the towers? I read that Love Letter from the Fifth Era, but I must have missed the mention of towers. Is there any in game reference to it?

They're mentioned in the first book you can find in Skyrim!

Ah. Thank you very much good sir.

EDIT:So I read through it and I remember reading it before. I thought the prophesy of the dragonborn mentioned in the book was pretty straightforward. It alludes to events in previous elder scroll games that lead up to the events that occurred in Skyrim. I still don't see where the idea that these "towers" are holding the world together comes from. Also, the only towers that I've seen mentioned are the White-Gold Tower, the Adamantine Tower, the Throat of the World and Red Mountain. Where is the idea that every province has a tower coming from and is there any mention of what they are?

I do see how you could deduce what the Thalmor are up to based on the above information, but is there any mention of why they would be trying to end the world.

Sorry for the ton of questions but I am very interested in the lore of the games, though I don't exactly keep up with the more hidden elements.

@Olorin

A lot of the tower stuff comes from another document called the Nu-Mantia Intercept so you may want to give that a read as well

Cool, thanks!

The civil war story would have been cooler if it had really changed anything

But the only visible difference is the leaders of whatever side you didn't chose end up being forced to hang out in one castle right?

I honestly would have never bothered to finish the quest if I could have done the story without it

That and the Blades giving me shit about parthuunax were the most disappointing things

you can do the story without it

PNk1Ml4.png
    Yeah you're right I guess you can stop at just negotiating a cease-fire while you deal with world ending stuff but at that point it is probably just as fast to end the war

2x39jD4.jpg
    you can go through the entire story without ever touching the civil war quest!

PNk1Ml4.png
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i only ever do the civil war long enough to steal the jagged crown

Really?

Well I guess I remember it wrong, though I suppose the peace accord so you can fuck up a dragon is part of the main story and not the actual civil war quest line

2x39jD4.jpg
    yeah you have to do the peace accord (unless one side has won already) but otherwise the civil war questline is 100% optional

PNk1Ml4.png
    ah I must have picked a side already last time I played that far into the main story, which was forever ago

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I keep forgetting about the peace accord
    I had won the war long before I hit that point in the main quest

• Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Zay wrote: »
    Markarth is cool

Markarth totally has the coolest architecture, and is the city in which you can have the most fun doing battle with the town guard

I always get to that point in the Forsworn Conspiracy and get in as long and protracted a battle as I can until I make my escape and flee the city

it would be a fun town to siege in the civil war, if it weren't for the fact that spawning barricades and fire and soldiers in Markarth would bring the xbox to its knees

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I'm a little upset I can't design my Hearthfire house in a dwarven style

the Markarth house is okay, but did anybody else wish they were getting the tower in the center of town?

Miss me? Find me on:

I'll maintain that Markarth needs some mortal pruning

but otherwise it's okay

it has my favorite blacksmith working there!

Miss me? Find me on:

• PreciousBodilyFluidsPreciousBodilyFluids Registered User regular
    I killed a beggar king in Markarth prison and the local ruling family thought that was swell and became my friends. This suited my power hungry Breton, who may or may not be the reincarnation of Tiber Septim.

Fun town. Good people.

• DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    I have destroyed markarth in approximately fifteen separate realities

sometimes everyone quietly disappears in the night

sometimes the dragonborn stands atop the highest building in the town and calls down a storm that cleanses the town with lightning

sometimes a werewolf eats everyone

0BnD8l3.gif
    During The Forsworn Conspiracy, in that section where you're going all over Markarth "investigating" I just put on the Nightingale Armor (because it's like being Skyrim Batman) and walk around punching everyone and yelling WHERE ARE THEY

WHRRRRAARRRRRTHEEEEEEEEEEY

hey when you do Storm Call like, out in the open, what's its radius?

I don't want to accidentally wipe out a farm or, like, Falkreath or something

Grey Ghost wrote: »
    During The Forsworn Conspiracy, in that section where you're going all over Markarth "investigating" I just put on the Nightingale Armor (because it's like being Skyrim Batman) and walk around punching everyone and yelling WHERE ARE THEY

WHRRRRAARRRRRTHEEEEEEEEEEY

SWWWEAAAAAAAR TOOOOOOOOOOO MEEEEEEEEE!

This discussion has been closed.