Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Instant message services

bone daddybone daddy Super Moderator, Moderator, ClubPA mod
edited September 2007 in Ancient Forum Knowledge
Which ones you use, their benefits and drawbacks, where to get them, blah blah blah.

bone daddy on
Rogue helicopter?
Ecoterrorism is actually the single largest terrorist threat at the moment. They don't usually kill people, but they blow up or set on fire very expensive things.

• PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA
    edited July 2004
    http://www.miranda-im.org

Supports every chat protocol known to man.

Uses a bare bones + plugins configuration style that allows you to customize literally every facet of the program. You can add or subtract protocols you do and don't use. You can add and remove features and plugins to utilize other programs as well.

It's 100% free. It's open source, and on SourceForge. Anyone can contribute in the way of customizations (buttons, icons, backgrounds, sounds, emoticon sets), plugins (additional features, functionality, protocol support, language sets) or by streamlining the core application code.

It boots up faster, takes less RAM and CPU time than any other messenger (single protocol like AIM or multiprotocol like Trillian included), is more stable, more customizable, and better in every possible way I can define.

It's also portable. You can copy it's directory once you've installed it to a floppy or CD, and run it from a floppy disk or CD, as it comes with everything it requires.

The only drawback is that it does not support the latest MSN webcams or games, so far as I know. However, it's the best ICQ or AIM client you could ever use, and if you only use one of those, it's a better choice than anything else for that purpose. Just unload the extra protocols.

IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • SideswipeSideswipe Registered User
    edited July 2004
    Deadaim

Basically it is an extension for AIM

Benefits- All of your chat boxes in one tabbed window for easy orginization, logging of conversations, custimization of what buttons appear on buddy list, suppression of advertisements.

Drawbacks- It is still basically AIM, it costs a small sum of cash, although I can't remember how much. *cough*

vzsxcvzxc.jpg
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Six pack on a dick Registered User regular
    edited July 2004
    Gaim, just because I can't stand the AIM interface or the stupid ads. It's got nice customization, user-definable away time (you can set it to look like you've been gone for days), really easy to manage and it's small. I used deadaim until it became pay-for. I use MSN to chat with only one person who refuses to get AIM for some reason, and it was my email alert for my Hotmail account until I got Gmail.

h1DI1.jpg
    All my fuckin life I lived a normal fuckin life
  • JabberwockyJabberwocky Registered User
    edited July 2004
    Big Dookie wrote:
    Pheezer wrote:
    http://www.miranda-im.org

Supports every chat protocol known to man.

Uses a bare bones + plugins configuration style that allows you to customize literally every facet of the program. You can add or subtract protocols you do and don't use. You can add and remove features and plugins to utilize other programs as well.

It's 100% free. It's open source, and on SourceForge. Anyone can contribute in the way of customizations (buttons, icons, backgrounds, sounds, emoticon sets), plugins (additional features, functionality, protocol support, language sets) or by streamlining the core application code.

It boots up faster, takes less RAM and CPU time than any other messenger (single protocol like AIM or multiprotocol like Trillian included), is more stable, more customizable, and better in every possible way I can define.

It's also portable. You can copy it's directory once you've installed it to a floppy or CD, and run it from a floppy disk or CD, as it comes with everything it requires.

The only drawback is that it does not support the latest MSN webcams or games, so far as I know. However, it's the best ICQ or AIM client you could ever use, and if you only use one of those, it's a better choice than anything else for that purpose. Just unload the extra protocols.

Listen to this man. He speaks the truth.

I tried Miranda in a fit of downloading low-footprint replacement software, and eventually gave up on it. My complaints are mainly with respect to its AIM functionality; I assume the other platforms suffer similar shortfalls, though. It's lacking in some fairly critical respects, which there simply weren't plugins to fix -- the main things that come to mind are no file transferring and no masked hyperlinks (ie attaching a hyperlink to other text, so clicking that text takes you along the link). The latter is particularly bad because it doesn't even indicate that there should be an underlined link there, which caused me some headaches.

Though one would be able to work around those flaws, if the people they were speaking with were aware of them, it was hardly worth the ~2mb smaller footprint Miranda offers over DeadAIM.

I used to use Trillian, but I realized that I didn't actually use my MSN and Yahoo accounts for any constructive chatting; I went through an experimentation phase with GAIM and Miranda, only to end up with DeadAIM. I believe it costs $5 to download, but don't quote me on that. Failing that, there're a handful of programs to strip AIM to a barebones client, stripping all the excess shit out; I've never actually used AIM proper, but it's probably not a bad client once all the useless things are taken out.

I'm balanced, personified phantom to the bone
  • taerictaeric Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2004
    Trillian. I was a diehard ICQ supporter for the longest time, as I hated the annoying ways that AIM and the others did their thing. Unfortunately, AIM took off among most of the people I know. So... a while back I felt nice enough to actually pay for trillian, and now I have to use the yahoo messenger capabilities for work. (I guess I don't have to, but I would be the only one in the office not using it.)

• m3km3k Registered User
    edited July 2004
    Trillian. I have all four major accounts, but I pretty much only use the AIM protocol, and it's nice to have the messenger beep me whenever i get mail in my yahoo account. IRC is also pretty.

Slap a nice simple skin on the program and it's bliss.

Et tu, Brute?
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited July 2004
    Trillian.

- Full support for the top 5 IM clients (AIM, ICQ, IRC, MSN, Yahoo).
    - Loads of plugins for doing things from checking your email to controlling other programs, to being a date book.
    - Many many many skinning options.
    - Everything pheezer said about Miranda is true about Trillian, save for it being open-source, plus it has an easier-to-use interface (IMO).

• ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited July 2004
    I am a windows -> mac convert. I have filled the gap left by trillian with the open source OS X chat client Adium.

• CailYoungCailYoung Registered User
    edited July 2004
    iChat's fine, it just is not multi-protocol.

Freak this, I'm going to the toilet - Shaun Micallef
  • PredatorPredator __BANNED USERS
    edited July 2004
    MSN

Cause it's awesome and that's what all my friends use.

1330my4.jpg
  • crosspunishercrosspunisher Registered User, ClubPA
    edited July 2004
    Yahoo and no complaints.

• Apothe0sisApothe0sis Registered User regular
    edited July 2004
    Kopete. It's not ideal, but it's versatile. HAven't checked out the hojillion other options available through the glory that is Debian.

Yeah.

On Windows boxes I like MSN Messenger though.

What I see sees me.
    SODOMISE INTOLERANCE
    Tide goes in. Tide goes out.
  • kryoptickryoptic Registered User regular
    edited July 2004
    I like Gaim. It's simple, does only messaging and group chats(I like that, just what I need), buddy pounce, consistent interface across all the protocols, simple buddy list storage and configuration files(XML) so I can easily transfer my list and preferences around different versions or systems. Plus it's easy to configure. The thing with the Windows version is that it runs on a GTK layer.
    I've tried Trillian and Miranda and configuration with both are more than I care to deal with. Kopete is cool but is a little too KDE for my liking.

• PantsmonkeyPantsmonkey Registered User
    edited July 2004
    Guys if like me you cannot figure out how to get MSN to work behind your goddamn work firewall.

give http://www.e-messenger.net/ a bash it works more than well and lets you get your messages which is what this thread is for yeh ?

Cheers

4ob39
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited October 2004
    i use GAIM, but sometimes to send files when i have problems i boot up AIM just for that.
    anyone who uses AIM:
    ditch the evil Deadaim, and use milldleman http://middleman.krunchsoftware.com/

use smilez http://users.mnemonic.net/freeezer/smilez.html
    to get those super cool emoticons

• Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited March 2005
    I just use an older version of regular ole' AIM.
    Simple. And that's all I need.

I used trillian once but it seemed... fancy...

Other then that I think AIM is a POS.

• SpookymikalSpookymikal Registered User
    edited April 2005
    i'm also a GAIM man. It does what i need it to.

As Always
    -Mikal-
    Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    I just downloaded Trillian, using the basic one. Ill fool with it later, i have to go to work now. :)

going to try gaim too.

I play games on ps3 and ps4. My PSN is DouglasDanger.
  • kerwinkerwin Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    GAIM is where it is at. The guy who writes most of the code is working for gTalk now.

I hate you.
  • Sir PeechizworthSir Peechizworth Registered User
    edited February 2007
    I am a windows -> mac convert. I have filled the gap left by trillian with the open source OS X chat client Adium.

I too rock the Adium duck.

It has pretty good open source developer base, it's very customizable (scripts, sounds, layout, etc) and just like Trillian, it logs into everything at once.

If it don't Blam, we don't want it.
  • AdrenalineAdrenaline Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Throw in another vote for GAIM.

I will show you fear in a handful of dust
  • ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Years later Adium rocks even more. I use MSN/AIM/Jabber (syndicated server that talks to GTalk) and couldn't be happier.

Recently I picked up Skype to video chat with people, something Adium and iChat can't seem to get right.

• IrrIrr Registered User
    edited March 2007
    Trillian.
    Sure, it doesn't have as much customization as aim, but at least it doesn't crap up your computer.

C'Thun is a giant eyeball, but can he see why kids love cinnamon toast crunch?
    BECAUSE IT HOLDS THE POWER OF THE IMMORTALS?
    No silly, it's the taste you can see!
    YOU...WILL....DIE....
  • Retarded_TurkeyRetarded_Turkey Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    With Trillian does it support viewing webcam through msn?

camo_sig.png
  • BibbleBibble __BANNED USERS
    edited September 2007
  • wunderbarwunderbar Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I use Windows Live Messenger on my Windows PC's, Pidgin/Gaim on my linux machines, and I have Pidgin portable on my flash drive for a personalized IM client on the go.

I use MSN 99% of the time, so i don't care.

• BelruelBelruel naw Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    trillian. i use it for msn and aim, makes my life easy, its simple, and looks very clean.

3DS friendcode: 2380-4618-2503