As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Megaman X-over: X finally meets Megaman!!!!

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I probably should have been a slight clearer what I meant. :P
    I mean the whole bit about Sigma blowing the lid that Dr. Wily is alive, is actively working with Sigma, and also wants X dead and dusted. And then proceed to never mention him ever again.

Then again, I might be the only one who ever really gave a shit about the Wily subplot.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    I mean the whole bit about Sigma blowing the lid that Dr. Wily is alive, is actively working with Sigma, and also wants X dead and dusted. And then proceed to never mention him ever again.

Then again, I might be the only one who ever really gave a shit about the Wily subplot.

My point stands.
    Dr. Vile's origins aren't exactly explained, and the dude seems to know an awful lot about Zero.

MechMantis wrote: »

My point stands.
    Dr. Vile's origins aren't exactly explained, and the dude seems to know an awful lot about Zero.

Eh?
    Sigma in X5 is clearly talking about this guy: Doctor Wowwy! (Thank you MM8 :)))

200px-Dr._Wily.png

Meanwhile the asshole in the Zero series is Dr. Weil, this freak:

944761-drweil_large.jpg

Who is most definately not the same guy. I know what you're trying to get at though. They share a lot of parallels when it comes to Zero. Maybe it would have turned out more awesome if it the character really was Wily. Or maybe not.

Either way, they hint at it in X4, then come out and say it in X5: Wily is still around. And then ignore it utterly. But like I said, I might be the only one who gives a hoot.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I think that was more of a reference to the whole Wily connection to the X universe than him actually still being alive. Sigma only mentions he met him a long time ago. What that entails could be a whole slew of things. At best, he would exists as Dr. Light does but given he didn't even properly finish Zero I don't think that's the case.

Shady3011 on
    Shady3011 wrote: »
    I think that was more of a reference to the whole Wily connection to the X universe than him actually still being alive. Sigma only mentions he met him a long time ago. What that entails could be a whole slew of things. At best, he would exists as Dr. Light does but given he didn't even properly finish Zero I don't think that's the case.

Nope! I made sure to double check the original quote, just to make sure I wasn't misremembering it.
    Sigma: Here I am. You can challenge me at anytime. I have delightful news. I've recently acquired a new partner. He has been very supportive. He seems to have created quite a few robots. And he gave me the toughest body that you will ever see. You got here sooner than I expected, so it is not yet complete... But...it is enough to defeat you... He is an excellent partner... I believe you two know each other... In fact, he used to be a comrade of yours. He was very persistent about you... and that makes him very helpful to me. You see X, there is someone other than me...who hates you... Now feel our combined rage and die! ...But not before suffering horribly, ha ha ha! ...Goodbye, X!

Well, most likely not ALIVE alive, but alive in a similar matter to Light. So... well not "alive", but clearly "existing" in some form.

It could be a side effect of the virus since he has been infected with it the longest. It could also be data logs he found as I believe he found some of the sort in X4. Who knows. Considering Zero gets a spiel about him too I like to think Inafune was trying to cement Wily as the root cause of the Maverick Wars and ultimately the virus itself.

Well we'll never know. :P

Which just feeds back into my initial point. They put that in, then say that X5 was going to be the final game. Wait what no fuck you go back and deal with that!

edited August 2012
    X6 really screwed things up since
    X was originally supposed to be the antagonist in Zero and not Copy X.

Shady3011 on
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    bobwoco wrote: »
    The "new Megaman" looks like a poorly-made fan character. In the bottom screenshot, there's a chunk of his sprite hanging in midair, for fuck's sake.

Capcom, are you even trying?

Nope.

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012

Oh, you're far from alone...

And that dialogue from Sigma... it really makes it sound like X and Mega Man are supposed to be one in the same. I'm not sure I trust it, though... I should ask Heat Man or Kobun 20 about what the Japanese version said. Considering Claire Redfield decided to rename the Mavericks in the localization process, I'm curious if she might have thought X was Rock...

That's not why they changed it at all.
    It could be a side effect of the virus since he has been infected with it the longest. It could also be data logs he found as I believe he found some of the sort in X4. Who knows. Considering Zero gets a spiel about him too I like to think Inafune was trying to cement Wily as the root cause of the Maverick Wars and ultimately the virus itself.

If I remember correctly, Inafune didn't have a whole lot to do with X5. I think he basically told whoever was there from the X4 team to wrap it up while he went to work on Zero. Of course, I imagine that if that was the case, he left a few notes, i.e. what to do with Zero, but I think the team did most of it on their own.

...and then got called on to make a sequel when X5 did well.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular

To elaborate, they made Copy X because they thought people would be mad that the former hero they had played as for several games was now a villain.

• MegamaniacoMegamaniaco Madrid, Spain (again!)Registered User regular
    Mega Man is dead to me.

Dead and buried.

Steam ID: Megamaniaco // LoL summoner: Corcorigan (NA), Megamaniaco (EUW) // Hearthstone: Megamaniaco.2120

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »

To elaborate, they made Copy X because they thought people would be mad that the former hero they had played as for several games was now a villain.

It would make sense if it were the altered X from X5. After X6, it would fly in the face of his development as a character as he knows about the tragedies of war and the pain of loss. The easy copout was just to not upset fans, but it doesn't make sense narrative wise to make someone evil out of nowhere just for a dumb twist. If X6 wasn't going to shape Zero in the few ways it did, then it wouldn't have as many call backs to it. All in all, it just leaves a whole bunch of questions up in the air. I guess it just goes to show how little care went into these installments. I'm not saying they're bad, but when Inafune wasn't around it seems that the teams didn't know how to tackle these things.

• harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    I never knew there was so much to know about megaman.

B6yM5w2.gif
    To think Capcom might do something to celebrate that instead of whatever the shit this is.

• RotamRotam Registered User regular
    I was going to say it's good that he's been taken out of retirement but bloody hell.

They should just make Megaman 11 for XBLA.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Rotam wrote: »
    I was going to say it's good that he's been taken out of retirement but bloody hell.

They should just make Megaman 11 for XBLA.

Or do what many franchises have done as a final nail in the coffin - A Mega Man Racer.

Edit: Ah, shit, never mind.

Donnicton on
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I'm now imagining a series where Megaman is a car, and whenever he beats another special car in a race he gains their special power.

Like Battle Network crossed with Nightrider minus Hasslehoff.

Brb selling my idea to Capcom.

Maddoc on
  • DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    I saw the OP and my heart screamed. the purest Spoony-esque "BETRAYAL!!" To the bone.

"Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    I cant remember buying any good games from Capcom since Megaman X.

Atleast they save me money I guess?

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    harvest wrote: »
    I never knew there was so much to know about megaman.

Tons.

As for racing, they had an entire episode of the EXE cartoon which could have been adapted perfectly into a kart racer, but they never did. I was actually rather disappointed by that...

Also, Mega Man was doing board games and Soccer years before Mario ever did.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • l_gl_g Registered User regular
    Sirialis wrote: »
    I cant remember buying any good games from Capcom since Megaman X.

Atleast they save me money I guess?

Hey now, it's not like Capcom didn't make ANY good games after MMX!
    .... but this doesn't look to be one of them.

This seriously looks like a thing you could find off of Newgrounds.

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I found this over on Something Awful:
    I'm wondering how much thought if any they put into the Megaman story.

I mean, they probably don't care that much, but probably as a result of the directors' apathy (people don't care about story in a game where you just blow up robots!), the entire Megaman pantheon seems to be encapsulated within a really dark pan-generational story. It tells the tale of how mankind is doomed to stagnate for thousands of years at the same level of technology, never reaching a Singularity, never expanding into space, and constantly being faced with death at the hands of the things they built. They never overcome aging or disease, they're powerless to do anything against calamities like the terrible Maverick uprisings or the Eurasia Colony impact incident, and even merging their biology with technology doesn't do much to save them.

I think it's all kind of eerie

I wonder if Inafune or anyone else that has anything to do with the franchise has ever commented on this?

Come to think of it, the Battle Network and Star Force timeline is much, much more optimistic, despite featuring entities (Navis, and later EM Wizards) that could have an even more devastating impact on civilization if they went rogue. Maybe they don't have free will, or are too co-dependent on humanity to have any reason to usurp them?

Hexmage-PA on
    I can tell you exactly how much thought they put into the story.

The answer is both "a lot" and "fuck all".

Clearly the X series is when they decided to bump things up a notch from "Womp Wily!". The problem is that while they got pretty complicated with an individual game's story, they kept utterly failing at trying to make any encompassing arc. It was like there were 3 different people writing the plots, and they weren't talking to each other at all. The analogy I liked to use was somebody at a buffet filling their plate, but only getting halfway through before they go get a new plate and fill it with more shit. They just kept starting new threads, aborting them, and timeskipping all over the place, and it was getting increasingly difficult to continue to give a shit. If X9 had been made, I would bet it would have utterly ignored the final scene of the game.
    Where Axl seems to be mysteriously infected. Nah, he'd be completely fine, and zero mention of what that could have been. Oh and Sigma is back with no explanation, even though they made a bigger than normal deal about his death.

It seems dumb to care about the story in a damn MM game. But they actually went to the effort of trying to make one. And it was pretty darn good at times! They were just too damn schizophrenic with it.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I can tell you exactly how much thought they put into the story.

The answer is both "a lot" and "fuck all".

Clearly the X series is when they decided to bump things up a notch from "Womp Wily!". The problem is that while they got pretty complicated with an individual game's story, they kept utterly failing at trying to make any encompassing arc. It was like there were 3 different people writing the plots, and they weren't talking to each other at all. The analogy I liked to use was somebody at a buffet filling their plate, but only getting halfway through before they go get a new plate and fill it with more shit. They just kept starting new threads, aborting them, and timeskipping all over the place, and it was getting increasingly difficult to continue to give a shit. If X9 had been made, I would bet it would have utterly ignored the final scene of the game.
    Where Axl seems to be mysteriously infected. Nah, he'd be completely fine, and zero mention of what that could have been. Oh and Sigma is back with no explanation, even though they made a bigger than normal deal about his death.

It seems dumb to care about the story in a damn MM game. But they actually went to the effort of trying to make one. And it was pretty darn good at times! They were just too damn schizophrenic with it.

I dunno, I thought the ending to MM7 was going to have some huge potential down the road, but then they did nothing with it and went back to three more games of "Womp Wily!"
    I.e. Mega Man could have actually murdered Wily in a later game, which prompts Dr. Light to shut down Mega Man and prompt his 30-year testing on X. That could have been a proper segue into MMX.

Donnicton on
  • l_gl_g Registered User regular
    Mega Man is the Reapers

I like how MMZ actually tried to have some kind of coherent plot hazily motivated by MMX. I think the entire business of the Dark Elf got completely lost in the 4th game, but the single point that X himself is a key figure in it all in spite of no longer being able to actually participate as a combatant was quite interesting.

Either that or I just loved watching the boss version of X do an M.Bison slide

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • SolVanderlynSolVanderlyn Registered User regular
    MMZ did a lot better than MMX did, plot-wise. Everything was a lot more coherent and tied together with what came before it reasonably well.

Don't get me wrong, though; MMX is great. It made absolutely no motion to tie itself together to the classic series other than the Dr. Light capsules and the brief psuedo-mention of possible-Wily in X5, though. I feel like the Zero and ZX series handled themselves far better in regards to keeping the plot relatively stable and coherent between series, and even between games, for that matter.

Remember the downed Repliforce ship you can find in one of the MMZ stages? Shit like that is awesome.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Meh, ZX Advent had some issues in my opinion, mostly with how all the biometals fell into enemy hands after being gathered up in ZX.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    I'm currently replaying the Zero collection and, terrible translation aside (seriously, they couldn't have spruced up the script at all for the rereleases?), they did have a good story going on. It almost makes me yearn for an updated version done by a competent development team. . . but of course, you can see where Capcom's priorities are in this, the Mega Man franchise's quarter-century anniversary. Look at how much they care!

• Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    It's not like Inticreates just disappeared off the planet. The MM design team is alive and well as far as I know.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    You know, they did those NES-styled WiiWare games, so I think it's only proper that we get an SNES-styled X sequel or two.

YL9WnCY.png
  • SolVanderlynSolVanderlyn Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    You know, they did those NES-styled WiiWare games, so I think it's only proper that we get an SNES-styled X sequel or two.
    Agree 100%.

• bobwocobobwoco Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »

That would be totally fucking fantastic. I would find it interesting to see how they would implement fully playing as Zero and Axl in a 16-bit style game.

Steam ID: wocobob
    steam_sig.png
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Wydrion wrote: »
    remember that fight in Sigma's fortress in X where a spider comes down along some tubes on semi-preset paths, and basically no matter what you did, you'd end up using up all of your E-tanks because he'd always land on your head?

The spider always takes every available horizontal move - you should have enough time to see where it's going to end up, or at least make a good enough guess.

• Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    yep, eventually you just get used to seeing it.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    The spider was a cool boss because you could always predict it if you worked out his path down the web quickly enough, but it was hard to do that so it was still a challenge.

Other bosses can screw you by doing things randomly. Just the other day I played through the first eight Maverick stages using only the X Buster and no powerups, weapons or e-tanks (even restricting myself to not using the dash boots in Chill Penguin's stage) and the random attack patterns can really screw you. Most of the bosses seem to be intentionally designed so that you still have a chance with no upgrades because their "unavoidable" moves can often be countered. Spark Mandrill's dash attack is nearly impossible to avoid without the dash boots, but it can be countered with a charge shot. However, sometimes he'll do it when you could not possibly have a shot charged, so you can lose even if you play perfectly. It's not like there's much of a design choice to make here, though-- the choice is generally either make the boss easily predictable through trial and error using a set attack pattern, or make it random. Which is why the spider boss is a cool idea.

Edit: VV I'm going to point out here that the spider boss was my first experience with the "pipe puzzle" mechanic, so that certainly made it seem a little more unique and interesting. But I don't think it has ever been used as part of a boss fight in an action game like this, anyway.

mntorankusu on
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Wydrion wrote: »
    remember that fight in Sigma's fortress in X where a spider comes down along some tubes on semi-preset paths, and basically no matter what you did, you'd end up using up all of your E-tanks because he'd always land on your head?

The spider always takes every available horizontal move - you should have enough time to see where it's going to end up, or at least make a good enough guess.

Especially when that exact mechanic is used in so many other games in so many other situations.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    I just went back and played X3 for a bit to see how it compares with the Zero series. Is it just me or was Zero really sluggish in X3?

and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Dusda wrote: »
    I just went back and played X3 for a bit to see how it compares with the Zero series. Is it just me or was Zero really sluggish in X3?

Zero plays like a fat X

Not that that diminished the cool factor of tagging him in

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    Dusda wrote: »

Zero plays like a fat X

Not that that diminished the cool factor of tagging him in

Part of it is the animation cycle when slashing, I think. X can run while shooting, but Zero is rooted to the ground until the very last bit of his blade vanishes. One of the Aztez developers made a great post about how animation canceling affects the responsiveness of the player character.