As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Megaman X-over: X finally meets Megaman!!!!

124»

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    X3 was the first time Zero was playable, but it was X4 when he first adopted his unique style.

As cool as it was that first time, he sadly wasn't much use other than purposefully killing him in a specific boss fight so you could give X the beam saber.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Wait, ZX wasn't xovery enough?

• Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    ZX wasn't crossovery at all. I mean, except for the part where they crossed in henshin-hero tropes and mechanics, which was by far the single best decision they ever made about anything ever.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    I can tell you exactly how much thought they put into the story.

The answer is both "a lot" and "fuck all".

Clearly the X series is when they decided to bump things up a notch from "Womp Wily!". The problem is that while they got pretty complicated with an individual game's story, they kept utterly failing at trying to make any encompassing arc. It was like there were 3 different people writing the plots, and they weren't talking to each other at all. The analogy I liked to use was somebody at a buffet filling their plate, but only getting halfway through before they go get a new plate and fill it with more shit. They just kept starting new threads, aborting them, and timeskipping all over the place, and it was getting increasingly difficult to continue to give a shit. If X9 had been made, I would bet it would have utterly ignored the final scene of the game.
    Where Axl seems to be mysteriously infected. Nah, he'd be completely fine, and zero mention of what that could have been. Oh and Sigma is back with no explanation, even though they made a bigger than normal deal about his death.

It seems dumb to care about the story in a damn MM game. But they actually went to the effort of trying to make one. And it was pretty darn good at times! They were just too damn schizophrenic with it.

Yep. Pretty much all of this. I'm trying to remember the point where we (TMMN) more or less said "screw it," insofar as trying to rationally link everything together. We just sort of decided to take everything at face value, and people can draw their own conclusions.
    l_g wrote: »
    I think the entire business of the Dark Elf got completely lost in the 4th game

That point was resolved in 3.
    I'm currently replaying the Zero collection and, terrible translation aside (seriously, they couldn't have spruced up the script at all for the rereleases?), they did have a good story going on. It almost makes me yearn for an updated version done by a competent development team. . . but of course, you can see where Capcom's priorities are in this, the Mega Man franchise's quarter-century anniversary. Look at how much they care!

If memory serves, Inti Creates has a lot of guys who made the SNES X games as part of its staff.
    bobwoco wrote: »
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    You know, they did those NES-styled WiiWare games, so I think it's only proper that we get an SNES-styled X sequel or two.

That would be totally fucking fantastic. I would find it interesting to see how they would implement fully playing as Zero and Axl in a 16-bit style game.

Like this, I would hope:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7D9iZJp60M

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

Oh man, I made the mistake of actually going to the youtube side of that video. The only thing worse than the cheesy-assed move and item names that Capcom games come up with are the ones that fan games come up with.

• Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    jensen.jpg

Also, why god? Why?

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't one of IntiCreates' latest releases that creepy GalGun game? I know the guys have to work on something in their downtime, but it doesn't look like they're chomping at the bit to get back to the Mega Man series. . .
    jensen.jpg

Also, why god? Why?
    We're all wondering this.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Its like Capcom took my dog out back and shot it

It seriously looks like they spent all of two days working that game up from the assets from the MMX iOS game and then called it good to go.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List