As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] Panda Thread of Mystery

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    I dont really see anything time or mob health wise that is different from other dailes at the start of an xpac... But this is the first xpac where dalies are a integral part of the progression path and exist in such a wide berth. Cata started it but those dailies were few and all over the place. If anything the dailes are a result of Blizz listening to its player base and implementing it in. I have heard many times that "there is nothing to do at max level" or "all there is to do at max level is grind dungeons"... well Blizz implemented a very nice set of options for us to do now at 90. And I applaud them for it.

I guess what I am saying is the dailies will speed up as we gear. I personally am dreading the day I unlock the two "upper level" faction dailies as I have issues already finishing the dailies I have and getting in my heroics. Add to that raiding and more daillies will just not get done in a day.

Jubal77 on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Well I am at a loss of what to do as dailies since I now ding'd 90 on both my rogue and warlock

• KryhsKryhs Registered User regular
    Daily hubs available immediately at 90 (with minor quest intros maybe):

Golden Lotus
    Tillers
    Order of the Cloud Serpents
    Anglers
    Klaxxi, if you did Dread Wastes and got up to that point. I forget.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I did not do the dread wastes at all
    I did some of the tillers got lost in the vale and ate breakfast

• CyrondinCyrondin I bring the sick beats on you, brother Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    I do not have a problem with the dalies currently in the game. There are tons of them and even not being revered yet, stupid leveling :), I am making good money and they go by quickly. Even moreso with friends. Every game has grinding and after playing GW2 I will take the extremely polished offering that Blizz gives over any other MMO out right now. I also enjoy how you get little changing dalies among the different sub nodes as it helps break up the grind.

i can't play wow over gw2 anymore. it did allot in ease that i can't do in wow. and sorry more dalies is not what i want more for endgame in wow.

Cyrondin on
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    I remember doing the initial Golden Lotus daily mobs by just hitting the ones that the panda npcs were fighting. It gave me a bit of a damage boost to get them down (and often I'd be attacking one that was already half dead).

Some of these dailies don't seem to be well thought out though. The stupid Mogu rune one for Golden Lotus takes forever to complete for example, and the sprite daily where they are stealing the beer can be hilarious if you try aoeing them down.

• OptyOpty Registered User regular
    You have to unlock the Golden Lotus by unlocking the Vale via questing in Kun-lai. Blizz posted explicitly how to unlock them since you can get in the Vale without touching Kun-lai and thus people were complaining/confused about the Golden Lotus being awol.

I also know there's quests pointing you from the Vale to Dead Wastes and the Klaxxi and the Steppes and the Shado-Pan. I know the Klaxxi are eventually a daily hub but I don't know if Shado-Pan are.

As a note for everyone: there's quests for completing scenarios that only appear in the world when you hit 90 and as far as I can tell they're offered near the area that the scenario takes place in. I know for a fact there's one for the Green-whatever town in Jade Forest that has you rolling on barrels, the ferryman who takes you to the town at the start of Kun-lai for the brewmoon festival, and the Anglers' for the pirate monkey island. I think the Arena quest also exists in the world, but you can get it in the scenario so that doesn't matter as much.

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    The other scenario quests aren't always there though. I saw them when doing dailies, then a day or two later when I was ready to do the scenarios I flew back and the NPCs weren't offering them so I didn't get to do them (except Arena which was offered in the scenario itself).

• tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
    Ho-kay, so. Someone was speculating that the rare mobs are not on a timer as such, but linked so that, for example, there's only ever one Hozen rare up. I think they may be right.

I logged on and Major Nanners was up. I already had the whistle so I left him alone and went about my business. I checked on Scritch several times and he wasn't there. Eventually I went back and killed Major Nanners. I flew back to Scritch's spawn point and he was up. In between I was flying around killing just about every rare I could find and none were monkeys, but I did manage to kill a couple of rares twice in a relatively short time.

Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
    tarnok wrote: »
    Ho-kay, so. Someone was speculating that the rare mobs are not on a timer as such, but linked so that, for example, there's only ever one Hozen rare up. I think they may be right.

I logged on and Major Nanners was up. I already had the whistle so I left him alone and went about my business. I checked on Scritch several times and he wasn't there. Eventually I went back and killed Major Nanners. I flew back to Scritch's spawn point and he was up. In between I was flying around killing just about every rare I could find and none were monkeys, but I did manage to kill a couple of rares twice in a relatively short time.

I saw Major Nanners up last night, saw he was surrounded by elites, and decided it wasn't worth it.

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Cyrondin wrote: »
    I do not have a problem with the dalies currently in the game. There are tons of them and even not being revered yet, stupid leveling :), I am making good money and they go by quickly. Even moreso with friends. Every game has grinding and after playing GW2 I will take the extremely polished offering that Blizz gives over any other MMO out right now. I also enjoy how you get little changing dalies among the different sub nodes as it helps break up the grind.

i can't play wow over gw2 anymore. it did allot in ease that i can't do in wow. and sorry more dalies is not what i want more for endgame in wow.

Fair enough. I will personally take dailies over grinding events and the horrible, just horrible, thing called group instances in that game. To each his own.

• MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Nobody wrote: »

I saw Major Nanners up last night, saw he was surrounded by elites, and decided it wasn't worth it.

Just a tip, from someone who has been hunting rares obsessively.

Do NOT fuck with the Vale of Eternal Blossoms rares unless you have 1-2 friends with you or are supremely geared.

They hit way fucking harder than any of the others. Especially the damn Panda.

-edit-

And multiple Hozen can be up at the same time. I've personally seen it. Major Nanners is right above the Valley of Four Winds Hozen spawn location, and they were both up.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • CyrondinCyrondin I bring the sick beats on you, brother Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    Cyrondin wrote: »

Fair enough. I will personally take dailies over grinding events and the horrible, just horrible, thing called group instances in that game. To each his own.

for me i hated dailes since TBC, i also hated wow pvp since arenas, i feel WvW is the best pvp i had since my SWG days. PvE have always been 2nd fiddle, i always find it to be more drama and ego stroking then pvp, it have it share but not the level during the hight of wow's raiding.

the drama from pvp is most of the time people crying about losing.

MuddBudd wrote: »

Do NOT fuck with the Vale of Eternal Blossoms rares unless you have 1-2 friends with you or are supremely geared.

-edit-

And multiple Hozen can be up at the same time. I've personally seen it. Major Nanners is right above the Valley of Four Winds Hozen spawn location, and they were both up.

I've been hunting them as a ret paladin so I've got quite a bit of self healing, and I've actually taken down the Mogu Warrior rare in Vale of Eternal Blossoms. He's not that hard, just need to watch the dust clouds on the ground and move to the other side of him when he does that arc attack.

I guess it was a coincidence then, but I just wanted to chime in that I've been able to solo everything, even rares in the Vale, with the exception of two pandas, and those two I haven't been able to solo because of limitations of my class (priests have no interrupt with a short enough cooldown to stop them from healing) and I am only in about half heroic gear. I'm nearly certain that every class has at least one spec that can solo all or nearly all rares. Most of the fight is knowing what to interrupt and not standing in bad things. But that's not to say that you don't have to do some crazy stuff for some of them.

You really have to know their move set, pay close attention and save your cooldowns for the right time. (For instance, I have to save my shield for spinning crane kick when fighting pandas so I can use the speed boost to get out of it.)

Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular

-edit-

Killed the level 91 mantid as an 88 warlock just the other day. :D

liEt3nH.png
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular

I guess it was a coincidence then, but I just wanted to chime in that I've been able to solo everything, even rares in the Vale, with the exception of two pandas, and those two I haven't been able to solo because of limitations of my class (priests have no interrupt with a short enough cooldown to stop them from healing) and I am only in about half heroic gear. I'm nearly certain that every class has at least one spec that can solo all or nearly all rares. Most of the fight is knowing what to interrupt and not standing in bad things. But that's not to say that you don't have to do some crazy stuff for some of them.

You really have to know their move set, pay close attention and save your cooldowns for the right time. (For instance, I have to save my shield for spinning crane kick when fighting pandas so I can use the speed boost to get out of it.)

I totally would have soloed the Panda but every time he fucking did his heal I'd get a massive lag spike and not be able to interrupt it. Was such BS. I think I eventually died to lag spike during his crane kick.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282

-edit-

All I know is the Pandaran rare hits hard enough on my druid tank that you basically cannot fuck up once or the fight is over.

The Hozen is surrounded by elites which make him annoying, but if you can dodge his jumps he should be soloable.

BTW, for Dread Wastes rares: if you've gotten Klaxxi to revered you can unlock the last two paragons. One gives an enhancement - something like "Unstable Substance" (or something close). Use that. It's insane. Don't know if it's just because I'm a Rogue but it destroys everything. It's supposed to stack to 8 and then explode, but that takes about 2 seconds because every white hit creates a stack for me (imagine this with Slice & Dice). The explosion does a ton of damage and is super awesome for killing rares really quick.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282

-edit-

All I know is the Pandaran rare hits hard enough on my druid tank that you basically cannot fuck up once or the fight is over.

The Hozen is surrounded by elites which make him annoying, but if you can dodge his jumps he should be soloable.

All the rares seem to have a "fuck-this-up-and-you-die" move. For Hozen, if you stay near where they were when they started Going Bananas you usually won't get hit. If you can root them, do so just before they start Going Bananas and instead of jumping around like an idiot he'll just sit there looking stupid for the duration of the spell.

Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
    The worst part about hunting rares:

1. Temporarily forgetting their moveset, then getting destroyed when you didn't move out of whatever cyclone of death they cast. Then having somebody else tag the rare while you were running back.
    2. Other people griefing the rares (taunting them until they reset, etc).
    3. Not having a tool for dealing with one of their moves (the aforementioned "no interrupts" situation).

3. Not having a tool for dealing with one of their moves (the aforementioned "no interrupts" situation).

It's possible to come up with some _very_ creative solutions.

I thought I wouldn't be able to kill Jinyu rares because I can interrupt the first torrent, dispersion the second and interrupt the third, but for the fourth Silence and Dispersion are both on cooldown and I die. Someone on the forums recommended void shifting to my shadow fiend during the third torrent (which works but still leaves you low health) and someone else suggested using the void tendrils talent (which works really well; just hit it after every rain dance and they target the tendril for torrent rather than you).

Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular

I thought I wouldn't be able to kill Jinyu rares because I can interrupt the first torrent, dispersion the second and interrupt the third, but for the fourth Silence and Dispersion are both on cooldown and I die. Someone on the forums recommended void shifting to my shadow fiend during the third torrent (which works but still leaves you low health) and someone else suggested using the void tendrils talent (which works really well; just hit it after every rain dance and they target the tendril for torrent rather than you).

Also, psychic scream.

I beat Jinyu on my Balance Druid with Typhoon.

Delmain wrote: »

Also, psychic scream.

I beat Jinyu on my Balance Druid with Typhoon.

I'm nearly certain rares are immune to fear. I am certain I tried psychic scream to no avail.

Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088

Interesting.

I know generally I didn't run into these problems (Belf paladin with talented stun means I don't run into too many failed interrupts). I think the biggest problem I've had is dealing with rares that have random "fuck you" melee abilities that I have to kite around with Exorcism, AW'ed HoW, and Judgments.

• Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    My issue is I've had NPC Scan go off, then when I close in on the rare, it phases out. Seen it happen with the Pandaren in Kun Lai, and at least one other one...it was already tagged, so I didn't pay as close attention.

edited October 2012
    My issue is I've had NPC Scan go off, then when I close in on the rare, it phases out. Seen it happen with the Pandaren in Kun Lai, and at least one other one...it was already tagged, so I didn't pay as close attention.

A lot of the rares in the middle valley are phased until you do some of those quests. There are a handful along that wall which will show up until you go into the valley and then they disappear :P

Warlock82 on
    So far I've been able to solo every rare I've found except for one and that's because I got ganked while doing it. I also soloed the Theramore scenario up to the tank last night when both my partners left, mainly so I could get the achievements (don't kill totems on gryphon boss and don't get hit by anything on tank) and duoed the hozen Pirate scenario where I went off and soloed a bunch of the bosses while my partner did the same on the other side of the island. We also found out during this that the attack waves eventually stop happening so there's no worrying about booze getting stolen after that point.

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    I found the mogu caster rare in the Vale one time but didn't feel like dealing with his ridiculous amount of HP so asked in /General if anyone wanted in on it.

The only guy who said anything turned out to be a level 87 hunter. I hadn't actually thought that people under 90 would respond, but I figure extra DPS is extra DPS, so I invite him. When he rides across the whole zone (he can't fly yet), he finds that he can't see me or the mobs because it's apparently all phased.

So the way we decide to deal with this is I clear a path of trash mobs, and then I kited the rare all the way south to the wall, which brought me and the rare out of the phase and the hunter was able to join in the attack. There was only a very narrow place here available though, and if we went too far north to dodge void zones then the hunter would disappear.

Of course the rare ended up dropping a cloth item or something.

As a side note, I do not like the rare mobs that can drop a companion pet but only 10% of the time. I've killed both of the Dread Waste ones that drop pets and got nothing.

The mogu who drops the pet was an especially harrowing battle because there are adds everywhere around him. I was fighting him and a shadow priest from my faction showed up so I threw her an invite since I was willing to share the chance at the pet in order to kill him faster, and like to help more people get achievement credit. She declined, and soon 2-3 more people from her guild strolled up next to her and continued to watch me fight, obviously waiting for me to die so they could tag the mob without me.

And this rare was really kicking my ass, even with me being extra careful and not pulling any extra adds. Finally I got fed up with these people hovering around, waiting for my death so they could steal the rare so I stunned it with a cheapshot to give me enough time to type out "Jerks" and then I did my best Gizmoduck impression by pressing all my cooldown buttons at once. I sat below 50k HP for the entire last million health of that rare, but I killed him (Shiv w/Leech Poison everytime cooldown was up). Of course he didn't drop the pet or even an item I could use, but at least I didn't lose the tag to people who were less willing to share.

Most of the rares aren't too bad. I hate the ones that have adds with them though :(

• HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    Winged Guardian mount is 50% off until Monday, just FYI.

Still 50% too expensive :D I dunno, I have a hard time justifying the mounts. The pets bother me a lot less. Most of the mounts are just annoying though - too big and bulky (blocks my screen). That's why I love the Red Cloud Disk thingy from Lorewalkers :D

edited October 2012
    I'll generally watch if someone's soloing a rare and not interfere as long as it looks like they'll be ok since I personally like the feeling of soloing something and I wouldn't want to take that away from someone. As soon as shit starts going bad I'll hop in to help though. If they ask for help or invite or anything (which hasn't happened yet) I'll gladly hop in early.

Opty on
    The one time I invited someone nearby to help with a rare, he waited for me to greed the loot then need rolled it.

So now I just solo them.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    winged guardian's ugly anyway

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • KeemossiKeemossi Registered User regular
    The one time I invited someone to help with a rare I did because he asked to, and I guessed he just wanted an achievement. He helped, and then just rolled green on loot. Sometimes I suspect there might be decent people in the game. (tho the rare drops are all useless besides pets so)

And then a bit later get some tanks rolling on healer and caster gear again, and I go back to my default hate towards random people.

Keemossi wrote: »
    The one time I invited someone to help with a rare I did because he asked to, and I guessed he just wanted an achievement. He helped, and then just rolled green on loot. Sometimes I suspect there might be decent people in the game. (tho the rare drops are all useless besides pets so)

And then a bit later get some tanks rolling on healer and caster gear again, and I go back to my default hate towards random people.

I had the healer win the Coren DPS trinket away from me this weekend. Pissed me off.

I LIKE the Winged Guardian. I bought it a while back and it's pretty.

I also just broke down and upgraded to the CE for the Quillen mount.

• NyhtNyht Registered User regular
    Does anyone else have a huge disconnect with Worgens being anything BUT melee characters. I have a hard time coming to terms with this huge, bestial werewolf using a gun/bow as a hunter while running away from a goblin warrior ...

Getting to command pets (wolves especially) works fine ... but being unable to go into melee ... it's weird. It was driving me crazy before so I switched to a NE hunter but I kind of miss being a worgen now >_<

• fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    I've had to change specs multiple times in Kun-Lai Summit to get gear for my off spec, so I apparently still haven't hit the level where some of you claim that shit gets better.

Fucking retarded design.

Edit: Also, thanks for the info about inscription glyph research, whoever that was a couple pages ago.

forty on
This discussion has been closed.