As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Decoy Wallet

TalkaTalka Registered User regular
edited August 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm spending some time backpacking through Europe in a few weeks, and I'm trying to put together a decoy wallet in case of pickpockets / muggings. My real cash and ID is going to be in a moneybelt.

Ideally the fake wallet would have some expired credit cards and an expired photo ID to make it look more real. However, I always dispose of my expired credit cards and photo IDs as soon as they expire.

As far as I can tell, no online retailers sell decoy credit cards (for obvious scam-related reasons, I guess). And I don't see an easy way to get a photo ID of myself that I'd be comfortable having stolen. Any ideas?

Talka on

• Options
    evanismynameevanismyname Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    This seems like a really pointless idea, why would you need a decoy wallet? even if it did get stolen, then you wouldn't have it anymore and it could not serve any purpose. The only way some one is gonna get to this is by going through your stuff, so if they find a decoy wallet, they take it ; if they find no wallet they take nothing, so where's the benefit?

evanismyname on
  • Options
    Right now it's entirely empty and obviously a decoy wallet. I just want to stick some stuff in there so it looks real if I get mugged (unlikely, but whatever).

• Options
    evanismynameevanismyname Registered User regular
    I think just putting some cash in there would probably be sufficient in a mugging situation.

• Options
    XobyteXobyte Registered User regular
    I don't think it's going to be obvious to a pickpocket until they've already removed it from your person. I think maybe you're drastically overcomplicating a very simple idea.

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Yeah, just stick with the moneyclip. Unless you find yourself in a bad situation, it's more likely you'll be pickpocketed than mugged.

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Yeah, you're absolutely no more likely to get mugged in Europe than in the States.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Anyone nicking your wallet isn't going to stop to look through it before they run away. If you feel you must do this (which you don't) then an empty wallet will be fine.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    JeedanJeedan Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Esh wrote: »
    Yeah, you're absolutely no more likely to get mugged in Europe than in the States.

You're more likely to get mugged anywhere you look like a tourist.

Also, you don't know where you are, what the "bad parts" of town are, what the local scams are ect.

Jeedan on
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    why not get a second money clip, one with a bunch of ones and a 10 wrapped around it, So your out 20 bucks, or if you get mugged you can toss the decoy.

• Options
    RadicalTurnipRadicalTurnip Registered User regular
    I had a decoy wallet when I went to Europe. I was also 14 at the time (which isn't to say it's a bad idea). I put a five in it and one of those money tract things in it...which I loved for multiple reasons. I didn't really have it for the "oh, here's a fake wallet for when I get mugged" but more for pickpockets. As far as fake credit cards: there are those ones that CC companies send you every now and then. I haven't gotten any in a while, or else I'd send you one.

• Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    Depending on where you live in the US vs where you are going in Europe you can be absolutely more likely to be mugged or pick-pocketed in Europe. If you are going the decoy route put a small amount of money in it and MAYBE an expired ID (although I'd still be wary of this unless you use something like a student card that doesnt actually have your address/other details on it and is basically just a name and picture.) You could always go to a variety store and get one of those credit card gift cards and put it in. Its not like anyone would notice when they were robbing you that it wasn't a real credit card unless it actually says it on it.

• Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    i wish there were paint bombs like banks have in the movies for wallets. you should invent one.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    My thought process isn't that I'm more likely to be mugged / pickpocketed abroad (that may or may not be true, I don't know), it's that I'm far less capable of recovering from being mugged / pickpocketed when I'm staying in a hostel in Russia by myself than when I'm in my home city with my support network readily available. So I'm taking extra precautions.

I found an old student ID (just a picture and a school ID number, perfect). So I'm using that. Still no decoy payment cards though.
    Wezoin wrote: »
    You could always go to a variety store and get one of those credit card gift cards and put it in.

Not to be dense, but what is a variety store? Do you mean like a $5 Target gift card or something? That'd work and wouldn't be out of way, I guess.

Talka on
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Talka wrote: »
    My thought process isn't that I'm more likely to be mugged / pickpocketed abroad (that may or may not be true, I don't know), it's that I'm far less capable of recovering from being mugged / pickpocketed when I'm staying in a hostel in Russia by myself than when I'm in my home city with my support network readily available. So I'm taking extra precautions.

I found an old student ID (just a picture and a school ID number, perfect). So I'm using that. Still no decoy payment cards though.
    You could always go to a variety store and get one of those credit card gift cards and put it in.

Not to be dense, but what is a variety store? Do you mean like a $5 Target gift card or something? That'd work and wouldn't be out of way, I guess.

If this is your primary concern, your best bet would be to rent a box at the airport on arrival and store an emergency stock of cash for that eventuality. A decoy wallet is really not an effective deterrent because there is no saying that they wont ask for more after they take your wallet.

Unless you are planning on going into some extremely seedy places, you should be fine without one so long are you are reasonably aware of your surroundings and don't draw a stupid amount of attention to yourself.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular

I think he's saying buy a couple of $5 prepaid visas which look like credit cards, although I agree with the rest of this thread that you're way to paranoid about this and I'll second the airport locker idea. Keep some cash there.

Having said that, that's what embassies and banks are for. If something happens and you get robbed, you go to one of those two places to get help and or money to get back home.

Lastly, just get traveller's checks, you can cancel them if they get stolen and get your money back. Or get prepaid credit cards, those can be cancelled like traveller's checks once you register them.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    In that case take less hard cash and more easily cancellable ways of getting cash. Most bank cards are pretty world wide now.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Visa is pretty much worldwide. A card you can file as stolen much easier than a spare wallet.

• Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Depending on where you live in the US vs where you are going in Europe you can be absolutely more likely to be mugged or pick-pocketed in Europe.

Since Europe is a geographical area that includes 50 countries ranging from dictatorships to countries that are the very model of civilized and safe places I agree on the statement only it really holds very little information. Yes there are places in Europe where one is more likely to get that mugged than in other places in the US, but with such generalization it is hardly information.

OP: I don't know where you are going but most of Europe is really very safe so other than keeping a separate copy of your papers and an extra credit card you should act like at home. The extra set of papers is just as much in case you drop/forget the original set, just as you'd want an extra different credit card in case there is a mix up or something and your normal one is blocked.

If you give slightly more details on where in Europe you're going then we can provide more info/tips.

BlindZenDriver on
    Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    Depending on where you live in the US vs where you are going in Europe you can be absolutely more likely to be mugged or pick-pocketed in Europe.

Since Europe is a geographical area that includes 50 countries ranging from dictatorships to countries that are the very model of civilized and safe places I agree on the statement only it really holds very little information. Yes there are places in Europe where one is more likely to get that mugged than in other places in the US, but with such generalization it is hardly information.

OP: I don't know where you are going but most Europe is really very safe so other than keeping a separate copy of your papers and an extra credit card you should act like at home. The extra set of papers is just much in case you drop/forget the original set, just you'd want an extra different credit card in case there is a mix up or something and your normal one is blocked.

If you give slightly more details on where in Europe you're going then we can provide more info/tips.

Yeah, this was mainly in response to Esh's comment about "You're no more likely to get mugged in Europe than in the US" which I was just pointing out is entirely dependent on so many factors that you can't actually say that.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    I appreciate everyone double-checking my thought process, but I've thought through why I need a decoy wallet and am not super interested in explaining every reason. But, for starters: many of the places I'm going and many of the things I'm buying require cash (a fairly significant amount), and not credit cards or traveler's checks; a decoy wallet is more convenient than a money clip (wallets have a zippered coin pocket and compartments for different currencies); I'm moving from city to city quickly and by various modes of transit (airport / train lockers are not always an option). There are additional reasons, but the gist is that I've already determined this is the appropriate course of action for me. I just want some fake payment cards to finish the illusion.

What variety stores sell these $5 prepaid visas?

Talka on
  • Options
    Jeedan wrote: »

Also, you don't know where you are, what the "bad parts" of town are, what the local scams are ect.

Just like in America.

• Options
    RendRend Registered User regular

Just like in America.

Kind of, but not quite.

I know what nice stuff looks like in America. And while I won't claim to be able to make an accurate judgment of any American neighborhood's crime rate just by walking into it, I will say it would be pretty easy for me to recognize a nice place.

I've also been to Italy, Germany, and several other places in Europe. In Italy especially, I would have literally no idea how to tell if the place I was at was a nice part of town. Everything looks so different there that it can become very difficult to gauge.

Also the stakes are higher if you get robbed while abroad.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I appreciate everyone double-checking my thought process, but I've thought through why I need a decoy wallet and am not super interested in explaining every reason. But, for starters: many of the places I'm going and many of the things I'm buying require cash (a fairly significant amount), and not credit cards or traveler's checks; a decoy wallet is more convenient than a money clip (wallets have a zippered coin pocket and compartments for different currencies); I'm moving from city to city quickly and by various modes of transit (airport / train lockers are not always an option). There are additional reasons, but the gist is that I've already determined this is the appropriate course of action for me. I just want some fake payment cards to finish the illusion.

What variety stores sell these $5 prepaid visas?

Wal Mart, Target, CVS Pharmacy, Walgreens, any large grocery store, some gas stations, pretty much anywhere sells them.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    When I was in Vegas, one of the gift shops sold fake IDs for people like Homer Simpson and Elvis. They wouldn't fool anybody looking closely, but it might pass muster for a mugging.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Rend wrote: »

Just like in America.

Kind of, but not quite.

I know what nice stuff looks like in America. And while I won't claim to be able to make an accurate judgment of any American neighborhood's crime rate just by walking into it, I will say it would be pretty easy for me to recognize a nice place.

I've also been to Italy, Germany, and several other places in Europe. In Italy especially, I would have literally no idea how to tell if the place I was at was a nice part of town. Everything looks so different there that it can become very difficult to gauge.

Eh, I never had any issues sussing out good and bad neighborhoods in Europe. Especially if you ask the locals. Knowledge about where you're going is the best defense, not some dummy wallet.

• Options

Just like in America.

Kind of, but not quite.

Eh, I never had any issues sussing out good and bad neighborhoods in Europe. Especially if you ask the locals. Knowledge about where you're going is the best defense, not some dummy wallet.

I don't disagree with you at all! But it's a nontrivial bit of streetwise required to have a god idea of where you should or shouldn't be in foreign cities. My point is that if you're traveling, you should learn about that sort of thing, because assuming you will know when you get here is unreliable.

• Options
    tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
    If you didn't get mugged you have no way of knowing if you actually can tell good parts of town from bad or if you were just lucky. Other than checking the local crime statistics and comparing them to your previous evaluation.

Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • Options
    tarnok wrote: »
    If you didn't get mugged you have no way of knowing if you actually can tell good parts of town from bad or if you were just lucky. Other than checking the local crime statistics and comparing them to your previous evaluation.

So you're saying that me looking down the street seeing nice houses and manicured laws and making a judgment like "this street is probably relatively safe to walk down" is worthless data unless I happen to get mugged?

• Options
    edited August 2012

So you're saying that me looking down the street seeing nice houses and manicured laws and making a judgment like "this street is probably relatively safe to walk down" is worthless data unless I happen to get mugged?

That isn't comparable. In your example, you already know that manicured lawns mean safety. You're just bringing that knowledge to bear on your specific encounter.

Esh is doing the reverse: using a single encounter to infer that, in the general case, gut intuitions about safety abroad are reliable. It's the same reasoning as if I said you can tell what's dangerous abroad because I thought canals were dangerous and I got mugged near one. It's just one datum. That his gut intuition panned out doesn't mean mine will as well.

I'm not saying Esh is wrong (Europe really is pretty safe), but Tarnok is right to point out that that Esh's intuitions didn't neccesarrily protect him and that he could have just gotten lucky.

Talka on
  • Options

That isn't comparable. In your example, you already know that manicured lawns mean safety. You're just bringing that knowledge to bear on your specific encounter.

Esh is doing the reverse: using a single encounter to infer that, in the general case, gut intuitions about safety abroad are reliable. It's the same reasoning as if I said you can tell what's dangerous abroad because I thought canals were dangerous and I got mugged near one. It's just one datum. That his gut intuition panned out doesn't mean mine will as well.

I'm not saying Esh is wrong (Europe really is pretty safe), but Tarnok is right to point out that that Esh's intuitions didn't neccesarrily protect him and that he could have just gotten lucky.

I spent six months there, so I wouldn't chalk it up to a "single encounter". Like I said though, ask the locals. They'll be a wealth of information about where to go and where not to.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Yes, I'm going to do that and agree it's a good idea. I'd also like a decoy wallet.

The CVS across from my office didn't have any kind of prepaid payment card. I'm going to a Target over the weekend for some other stuff, I'll look there too.

Talka on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Guys shut about about it and go back to giving advice.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Be sure to write down and store the customer service numbers for any CC you do carry. E.g., write down the international toll-free number from your Visa card.

• Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    Another point is that you should be actually USING a decoy, rather than using your money belt. You want anyone who's targeting a tourist to not know you have a money belt, so in the morning you should transfer some money from the money belt to the decoy wallet -- and use it as a real wallet for cash transactions. Not much, just for the little street things, but it gives you a buffer between your real stash and your "ok to be stolen" decoy.

My understanding of most muggings is that they're looking for cash, not credit cards or ID, so if you do end up in a situation where you get mugged, take out your decoy and take out the cash very obviously and keep the wallet.

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    JeedanJeedan Registered User regular

Just like in America.

Yeah exactly, it has less to do with Europe being some crime ridden shithole and more to do with that criminals everywhere tend to target people who look like they're tourists.

• Options
    KiplingKipling Registered User regular
    Use the dummy wallet, like was stated before. Whatever amount you are comfortable with getting stolen.

And if you want card like objects, if a grocery store has a rewards program, get two. You need it to look rectangular and plastic. That's it. They aren't going to look at it in when you are around.

3DS Friends: 1693-1781-7023
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Gas stations usually have free reward cards too that are credit card style.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508