As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Facebook won't load?

Penguin_OtakuPenguin_Otaku Registered User regular
edited August 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
So I've been having issues connecting to Facebook and I think it's been since I chose the option to make my connection a secure one with Facebook.

I've tried Chrome, Firefox and Safari and it's doing the same thing on all of them.

Earlier I deleted my cache, restarted and it worked for a little bit. Then it tried to load updates and eventually just shit itself and won't reconnect again.

Thoughts?

sig-1.jpg
Penguin_Otaku on

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Are you just getting the standard 404 error?
    Are you able to connect to other websites on your machine? (You could be posting this from a phone or a tablet, or a microwave for all I know)
    Are you able to connect to your facebook from other machines?

That you where able to connect after deleting your cache for a while makes it sound like you may have some malware on your system that's dicking around with you. If you haven't already, I'd suggest running a full scan with your anti-malware of choice.

• Penguin_OtakuPenguin_Otaku Registered User regular
    Other sites work perfectly.

No 404 error just that it times out.

Can connect from my phone

sig-1.jpg
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Is your Facebook fully logged out on your phone when you try and load up on your comp? If you went for secure it's really touchy and might see that as someone else trying to "login"

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    this kind of thing is usually a DNS resolution issue; type ipconfig /flushdns into the command line and see if that fixes it

did something about making your connection with facebook 'secure' (not sure what this means) involve editing your hosts file? That could also cause a problem, but it's generally something that you'd know if you did

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    this kind of thing is usually a DNS resolution issue; type ipconfig /flushdns into the command line and see if that fixes it

did something about making your connection with facebook 'secure' (not sure what this means) involve editing your hosts file? That could also cause a problem, but it's generally something that you'd know if you did

I think when you enable the option to make your connection secure on Facebook, it just means you're always using an HTTPS url as opposed to an HTTP one. Not sure what the problem might be here, but yeah, flushing your DNS never hurts. Maybe check your proxy settings in your browsers?

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I had an odd issue like this yesterday.

You're welcome, @Tube.

Lh96QHG.png
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited August 2012
    what? why have you called me here? you will pay dearly for this

oh right yeah thanks

Tube on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Essee wrote: »

I think when you enable the option to make your connection secure on Facebook, it just means you're always using an HTTPS url as opposed to an HTTP one. Not sure what the problem might be here, but yeah, flushing your DNS never hurts. Maybe check your proxy settings in your browsers?

oh, duh

yeah probably what's happening is that either your hosts file or dns cache has facebook set to a certain ip, which is different from the ip used by their ssl site. Solution is to purge both of those things.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Off the end of the internet, just turn left.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Essee wrote: »

oh, duh

yeah probably what's happening is that either your hosts file or dns cache has facebook set to a certain ip, which is different from the ip used by their ssl site. Solution is to purge both of those things.

This does sound like a DNS issues, but it's unlikely that the public IP got HTTPS is different from HTTP. DNS resolution is not aware of protocol only the symbolic name. So if you just get sent to https://somehost vs http://somehost you will by definition get the same DNS resolution. It's only if you get sent to another subdomain that you'd get a different resolution. But in that case caching the wrong resolution wouldn't really apply as it would be the resolution for a different symbolic name.

orthanc
  • EffefEffef Who said your opinion mattered, Jones? Registered User regular
    if you are on a college campus their packet shaping or web filtering software might have something to do with it

bluecoat packetshaper does not like to deal with https connections

ox30LTf.gif
  • Penguin_OtakuPenguin_Otaku Registered User regular
    We're on our own wifi from Cox here. Haven't had issues until we moved here.

Not on a college network.

DNS flushing isn't doing it

sig-1.jpg