As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

There's a new PSP in town...

• Options
    tony_importanttony_important Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Lunker wrote: »
    Cups42 wrote: »
    guys is "Uses UMD" A feature or a Hindrance?
    :rotate:

I think it's in there to give the implication of backwards compatibility, which would be pretty key. If this thing does happen, I think a lot of people would buy it and then swoop down on all of the older PSP titles. That's what I've been doing, and I haven't paid more than $20-$30 for any of them.

I agree, I think that this would allow for bc with the older games. The problem is, they might upgrade to some kind of super UMD-blu-ray hybrid thing. This is purely speculation.

tony_important on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    inthegray wrote: »
    haha, i can't take credit for that one. my photoshop abilities usually only extend to adding "LOL" word balloons and pasting faces on brokeback mountain posters. i grabbed the psp2 photo from here.

Oh, so you're very much on my level then. Haha.

tony_important on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Ownage JonesOwnage Jones Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    Esh wrote: »
    * The screen is gorgeous
    * The loads are faster

Hopefully the screen lacks the horrible ghosting this time. Faster load times might make the Power Stone Collection playable.

Wouldn't the load times only be for nongames? A lot of people would be pissed if they had to buy a new PSP to reduce the load times.

...Clearly you don't have a PSP nor seen one operate. The load times for movies, music and photos from the Memory Stick is nearly non-existant. This is for games.

And while we're here...battery life extension please.

Ownage Jones on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Currently playing: Infamous, Resident Evil 5
    Need to play: Shadow Complex, Uncharted 2, Ratchet and Clank: ACIT, MW2, Alpha Protocol
  • Options
    ArugulaZArugulaZ Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Shouldn't Sony be thinking of ways to REDUCE the price of the PSP? Out of all the complaints people have about the system, its astronomical price has to be on the top of that list. Instead of addressing that issue, they're dropping everything but the kitchen sink into the next revision of the PSP, and you know who's going to end up footing the bill for all this reckless technophilia.

ArugulaZ on
    JR

Same old site, great new look! Check out The Gameroom Blitz at:
    http://www.lakupo.com/grblitz
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    ArugulaZ wrote: »
    Shouldn't Sony be thinking of ways to REDUCE the price of the PSP? Out of all the complaints people have about the system, its astronomical price has to be on the top of that list. Instead of addressing that issue, they're dropping everything but the kitchen sink into the next revision of the PSP, and you know who's going to end up footing the bill for all this reckless technophilia.

If you can't afford thier hardware, then it clearly isn't for you.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    ArugulaZ wrote: »

Martians!

august on
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    i foresee the biggest problem again being price.

ooooOOOH! upgrade! or just an excuse to charge $250-300? forget that. All in one machines are poop. POOP I SAY.

Guek on
  • Options
    ArugulaZArugulaZ Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Hey, I've got a PSP. I just think the price is stupid high, and Sony needs to find ways to reduce it. They're taking entirely the wrong approach with a supercharged PSP, if one is in fact being developed. I don't think anyone's sitting around complaining, "Damn, the PSP sucks. The screen is sooooo small, and I hate having to use memory sticks to save all my games! And also, where's my camera? What kind of handheld game system doesn't have a friggin' CAMERA?"

ArugulaZ on
    JR

Same old site, great new look! Check out The Gameroom Blitz at:
    http://www.lakupo.com/grblitz
  • Options
    icebergiceberg Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Let's see here...

If it's an all-new console, there's no way I'll be buying it for years. With the 'old' PSP still retailing at over $200, I'm not shelling out more than a Wii to get a PSP with a bigger screen. If it's NOT an all new console...I'm not paying more than the cost of a PSP to get a PSP when I wasn't all that interested in it to begin with.

I really don't get this move. The PSP isn't succeeding as well as Sony had hoped because it's too expensive compared to it's very capable competition. If anything they should have dropped the price of the OLD PSP by $50-$75. This just doesn't seem to address any of the issues that actualy hampered the device in the first place. If anything it magnifies them.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Will there be another analog nub?

No? Well, so much for that.

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    they're also going to lack the momentum they had with the original psp. remember all those ds naysayers? remember everyone cracking wise? remember developers flocking to sony in droves?

man, now the ds is terrifying. it is a monster. a demon beast whose soul you can touch with a mere finger.

Guek on
  • Options
    major_tommajor_tom Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Oh come on, this has to be a rumour. There's no way Sony are going to do something as blatantly rock-hard stupid as adding a touchscreen to the PSP. There is literally no reason for it to be there, and if they start designing games around it then Sony have effectively killed off the original unit, and this stops being a redesign and becomes an entirely new system. Unless they end up with an even worse solution, i.e. it ends up like the SIXAXIS and you have developers wasting their time tacking on new optional control systems that no-one in their right mind would use (see: Virtua Tennis 3).

Also, this thing would cost a bloody fortune. Surely even sony can see that one of the biggest barriers to the PSPs success was its cost.

major_tom on
    This is what i get for caring about gamercards...
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    Let's see here...

If it's an all-new console, there's no way I'll be buying it for years. With the 'old' PSP still retailing at over $200, I'm not shelling out more than a Wii to get a PSP with a bigger screen. If it's NOT an all new console...I'm not paying more than the cost of a PSP to get a PSP when I wasn't all that interested in it to begin with.

I really don't get this move. The PSP isn't succeeding as well as Sony had hoped because it's too expensive compared to it's very capable competition. If anything they should have dropped the price of the OLD PSP by $50-$75. This just doesn't seem to address any of the issues that actualy hampered the device in the first place. If anything it magnifies them.
    Who said anything about a bigger screen?

I mentioned this elsewhere, but if anything comes of this in the near future (which I still kind of doubt), I'd wager whatever this is -- knowing Sony, it'll probably be the PSPX for XTREEEEEM) -- will have less of a focus on games and will be more of a convergence device, as much as people around here gnash their teeth about the prospect. Look at the PSP commercials, which have shifted it from a gaming device to "it's a carpet you can watch outside" to "hey, find your girlfriend, she went to the Kenna concert and she left a memory stick with pictures and music and crap for you!"

I'm not saying it's a terribly wise idea; I'm saying it's what Sony is probably going to do. :P

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I would love for a new model PSP to come out, if for no other reason, but to drive the resale value of the original down. I've seen 'em for $150 (preowned), so a new model could push that back to $100. That's a reasonable price for a PSP, or, as I call it, the MGSP .... O.

Dirty on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    iceberg wrote: »

Guys:
    March 8, 2007 - Despite being culprit to cramped fingers, Sony has no intention of redesigning the PSP. Sony officials refuted the idea that that PSP was in need of a DS Lite-style remake, stating that the system will see no physical alterations. The design will stay the same, but the way interacts with consumers may change.

A Sony rep said that soon the PSP would reach its promise. That could be a hint that the PSP will finally be able to download movies and become a more interactive partner with the PS3. Sony hopes to one day allow gamers to download movies directly to the PSP. A resolution depends on Sony's ability to find a way to lock movie content, so that you can't simply copy a pay-for-download film to other PSPs.

Expect announcements on some new PSP functionality within the next few months.

august on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    That's a shame. I'd have been interested if they fixed the square button problem and it cost <£80.

japan on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Built in memory? Please?
    (Yeah, right.)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Cokomon wrote: »
    Thank god for replacement plans. I have a feeling my PSP will conviently have some issues a couple months after this new PSP is released.

God, it is just like that 360 revision thread.

In other news, I have a feeling I will be breaking my PSP on a rock and lying to the store, claiming that my copy of Spiderman II on UMD broke my PSP...

...if I even had a PSP.

See, unlike what you're refering to, I was being serious. I've had my PSP for about 5 months now, and I would not be surprised one bit if it were to start failing conviently around the time that the new PSP was released.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    japan wrote: »
    That's a shame. I'd have been interested if they fixed the square button problem and it cost <£80.

The square button problem isn't an issue and hasn't been since launch. Admittedly, that button does feel 'spongier', because the idiots (and they are idiots, form should always follow function) put it too close to the screen and the contact pad for the button is much smaller than the other three.

Now, the atrocious fucking d-pad, that's something worth getting steamed up over.

Hey, sony, I should not have to open up and modify my system in order to make it possible to control Tony Hawk's Underground 2 (which is a shit game I ended up selling anyway).

major_tom on
  • Options
    StriderEdgeStriderEdge Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    major_tom wrote: »

The square button problem isn't an issue and hasn't been since launch. Admittedly, that button does feel 'spongier', because the idiots (and they are idiots, form should always follow function) put it too close to the screen and the contact pad for the button is much smaller than the other three.

Got my PSP in May of the year they were launched. I didn't get a US launch system because it did not include the Spider Man UMD. My PSP does have the "square button issue" though. So its not just JP launch units... they have gotten around abit.

StriderEdge on
  • Options
    NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Cokomon wrote: »
    Thank god for replacement plans. I have a feeling my PSP will conviently have some issues a couple months after this new PSP is released.

God, it is just like that 360 revision thread.

In other news, I have a feeling I will be breaking my PSP on a rock and lying to the store, claiming that my copy of Spiderman II on UMD broke my PSP...

...if I even had a PSP.

See, unlike what you're refering to, I was being serious. I've had my PSP for about 5 months now, and I would not be surprised one bit if it were to start failing conviently around the time that the new PSP was released.

Are you trying to imply that Sony releases shoddy products? You're crazy. I'll have you know that the green led light works on all 5 of my PSX's, and I can still get one of the three PS2's I bought to play games.

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Got my PSP in May of the year they were launched. I didn't get a US launch system because it did not include the Spider Man UMD. My PSP does have the "square button issue" though. So its not just JP launch units... they have gotten around abit.

d'you mean May of the year of the JP launch or a US one? I'm in the UK and I don't think the square button thing was ever an issue here as it released late 2005, IIRC.

Either way, I feel your pain. In many ways it's a very poorly made piece of technology, beautiful to look at until you actually try and use it. My mate's one had eight dead pixels and dust under the screen.

If it wasn't for homebrew my PSP would've been sold long ago, especially when I was a student and needed the money for, uh, food.

I would rather die a withered husk clutching my DS lite than sell that.

major_tom on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Ooh, a camera.

Who gives a fuck?

If it's a half decent camera I might give a fucking fuck. Instead of having a camera in one pocket and my PSP in the other I have a camera with 8GBs of internal storage in my gaming device.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    SirUltimos wrote: »
    A touch screen and a camera? So whoever has an old style PSP will be forced to upgrade to play newer games? Or will these features just not be used at all?

This is why all rumors like these are bullshit. They CAN'T add shit like this, because if they do so, they alienate their existing userbase.

Which is why I always shake my head and sigh when people talk about a wii redesign with graphics that will compete with the PS3, or a PSP2 that uses cartridges or something.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    StriderEdgeStriderEdge Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

d'you mean May of the year of the JP launch or a US one? I'm in the UK and I don't think the square button thing was ever an issue here as it released late 2005, IIRC.

Either way, I feel your pain. In many ways it's a very poorly made piece of technology, beautiful to look at until you actually try and use it. My mate's one had eight dead pixels and dust under the screen.

If it wasn't for homebrew my PSP would've been sold long ago, especially when I was a student and needed the money for, uh, food.

I would rather die a withered husk clutching my DS lite than sell that.

It was the May after the US Launch. I've had this conversation before. I think the square button issue has been fixed by now but most people I've talked to say that it was exclusive to the Japanese launch units. I could just be extremely unlucky to get one with the issue, but I just like to point out that the issue did wasn't exclusive to Launch or Japanese units.

StriderEdge on
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    "it's a carpet you can watch outside"

Wha-?

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I give this a big ol' meh.

I'm more interested in the successor to the PSP, when Sony will have a chance to really apply some things they've learned about the handheld market.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    TyrantCow wrote: »

Wha-?
    I'm sorry, I misspoke: It's actually cheese you can listen to outside.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    TyrantCow wrote: »

Wha-?
    I'm sorry, I misspoke: It's actually cheese you can listen to outside.

Holy poop! That was poop!

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    If you can't afford thier hardware, then it clearly isn't for you.

I agree, if you can't afford to waste your time with a system featuring mediocre games/features then it's really not for you.

Just because I choose to spend my money on a system that I find more useful and fun than another doesn't mean that I can't afford it.

That being said, I think sony should focus on fixing what is wrong with their current system before adding more water to a potentially growing pot of problems.

tony_important on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DeVryGuyDeVryGuy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The PS1 and PS2 second hardware iterations were both excellent, so I'll be watching this with a close eye since I'll be back in the market for a PSP soon.

Secondly: The price is not astronomical. It's $70 more than the DS, sure, but it's hardly unreasonable.

DeVryGuy on
    Pokemon Diamond: 5369 6910 9799
    FFTSig.jpg
  • Options
    MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Will this new PsP be cheaper? This is important, because I need something to play the new FFT on.

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    DeVryGuy wrote: »
    The PS1 and PS2 second hardware iterations were both excellent, so I'll be watching this with a close eye since I'll be back in the market for a PSP soon.

Secondly: The price is not astronomical. It's $70 more than the DS, sure, but it's hardly unreasonable.

I agree, it's not astronomical. But I'd rather spend that extra cash elsewhere.
    It's not that I think the PSP is a horrible system, it just tries to be too much IMO.

Better games (I know there have been developments in this department recently) on the system would have made my purchase decision of a DS harder, but still, originality and fun win out with me more than memory sticks and UMD movies.

tony_important on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Ooh, a camera.

Who gives a fuck?

If it's a half decent camera I might give a fucking fuck. Instead of having a camera in one pocket and my PSP in the other I have a camera with 8GBs of internal storage in my gaming device.

I predict a camera on a par with my phone's camera. I'd love to be proved wrong, though, but it seems to me to be like putting a DVD player in a modern console - it's convenient, but hardly a deal-breaker as digital cameras are everywhere (at least in UK phones), and a saving on the production cost would probably be a better idea.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    LaveLave regular
    edited March 2007
    Fucking hell.

I hate it when rumours include bollocks like "Touch Screen"

It's not an update then, it's a new fucking console.

Lave on
    poirot1vi.gif
    Scholar and a Gentleman? Critical of bad science and religion? Skeptobot - Is for you!!
  • Options
    TroubledTomTroubledTom regular
    edited March 2007
    Lave wrote: »
    Fucking hell.

I hate it when rumours include bollocks like "Touch Screen"

It's not an update then, it's a new fucking console.

It would not surprise me a bit if a followup to the PSP was in development. I wouldn't be surprised if they incorporated tilt like the PS3 controller, and a touch screen (lol).

If they make another system, Sony is going to have to decide what they want it to be. Do they want it to be an Ipod with gaming functionality, or a straight up portable game system? Do they want to add a shitty camera and a hard drive and call it the Istation, or a touch screen and call it the PSDS? Are they going to add all that and launch it at $400?

TroubledTom on
    Wii friend code: 8704 3489 1049 8917
    Mario Kart DS: 3320 6595 7026 5000
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I hope they do add a touch screen. It'd give Nintendo a good competitor, and when that happens, gamers win.

You guys need to get your fucking heads out of your asses. Who cares if they're copying one of "Nintendo's" ideas? Did anyone cry foul when every system incorporated the rumble feature or dual analog sticks? Or how about how 360 and PS3 have very similar controller designs? Who gives a rats ass? It's a new technology that's awesome for games, Sony should incorporate it, and we'll all get better software to enjoy.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    august wrote: »
    iceberg wrote: »

Guys:
    PS Biz Brief 06: No PS2 Price Drop Soon
    Sales are strong, no need for reduced price quite yet.
    by Chris Roper

March 14, 2006 - Continuing his lengthy speech at today's PlayStation 3 business briefing in Japan, Ken Kutaragi went on to quell rumors about a PS2 price drop as the company plans to continue selling it at its current price of $149 for some time.

Being that 32% of US homes have the system, as well as 41% in Japan and 33% in the UK, along with the ever-increasing sales of those staggering numbers, the company sees no reason to cut the price at this point. Kutaragi expects that the electronics giant will ship over 10 million PlayStation 2 systems in 2006.

SCE sees PlayStation 2 business continuing for another four to five years, and will continue production maintain and support accordingly.

Stay tuned as we'll continue to provide up to the minute updates from the conference.

Fixed.

Not a month later and...

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/702/702462p1.html
    PS2 Price Drop
    SCEA reduces console price to $129.
    by Jeff Haynes
    April 20, 2006 - Looks like you won't be spending as much to pick up a new PS2 at your local game store. Sony Computer Entertainment America announced today that the price for the PS2 has now been reduced to $129.99 in America and $139.99 in Canada.

"While we continue to innovate and design groundbreaking new products, we remain dedicated to our long-term vision for the PlayStation 2 platform," said Kaz Hirai, the president and CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment America. "Now even more consumers, as well as casual gamers, can experience what the PlayStation 2 platform has to offer -- an unrivaled combination of the largest selection of software, a growing community for online gaming and one-of-a-kind accessories such as EyeToy(TM) -- at a new value price."

Effective immediately, SCEA expects that it will drive even more consumers to buy their popular console, which has sold more than 101 million PS2s to date.

:P

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Zeromus wrote: »
    I hope they do add a touch screen. It'd give Nintendo a good competitor, and when that happens, gamers win.

You guys need to get your fucking heads out of your asses. Who cares if they're copying one of "Nintendo's" ideas? Did anyone cry foul when every system incorporated the rumble feature or dual analog sticks? Or how about how 360 and PS3 have very similar controller designs? Who gives a rats ass? It's a new technology that's awesome for games, Sony should incorporate it, and we'll all get better software to enjoy.

I think the people pissed off at the 'touchscreen' news are more annoyed because it would effectively render the previous iteration of the console totally useless. A console costing $250 that many people have been sorely underwhelmed by.

It has to be BS, anyway. There's no way Sony would do something this stupid.

major_tom on