As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

what's in a name?

crwthcrwth THAT'S ITRegistered User regular
edited August 2012 in Social Entropy++
we all got names

but i'm not talkin your real life names

i'm talkin bout...FORUM NAMES!

how'd you choose your name?
is there a super cool story behind it?
have people been mispronouncing it? (in my case probably yes)
did you use some other name on some other forum?

i don't know why i chose crwth. i think i read somewhere that it was the only word in the english dictionary without any vowels and i was like huh that's neat and i think that jus happened to coincide with me signing up.

also it's not cwrth
it rhymes with roof

i also used to post on an /!\ invader zim forum /!\ under the name of evil dr. reef, which is from an episode of space ghost coast to coast called "flipmode" (also my favorite episode)

so!
reveal to me your forum name secrets
is it something boring like your name (@sheri @natek)
i hope not!

EzUAYcn.png
crwth on

• Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I lost the fabled Tube coin toss.

The other username I use is Baroque Sampson.

Because I really love Brock Samson

Baroque And Roll on
    2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    A Crwth by any other name would fert as derp

Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    It's a contraction of my real name I "cleverly" "made up" when I was 13 years old.

Thread over.

sig.gif
  • Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    i am literally royalty and i have command over all butts

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    This was the name of my first world of warcraft character

tauren hunter

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    i got it from a dream where i was an x-man

but i'm also a robot so it fits because positronic brains beep boop

also because i don't matter at all

• Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    also because i don't matter at all
    error

error

does not compute

• Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    I wanted something that sounded cute and I was playing Fallout 3.

DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    AgentofOrangeAgentofOrange Registered User regular
    rage against the machine lyrics

i have never felt so ashamed as when i post on this forum

• Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Hullis wrote: »

tauren hunter

Fucking goddammit this is my exact story.

Huntera on
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I spent months and months developing a name that Crwth would find the most attractive.

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    d20 Modern Class, because it was cool at the time.

Previous handles are far too embarrassing.

• Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    I honestly forget where I got my name from
    Looking at it now
    Bus...Turk? the fuck????
    I was probably drunk or something

Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    I thought I was clever by taking my real name (Tom) and putting it into the name of a then-recent movie with all but the last two letters.

Yeah, I look back on pretty much every year that wasn't this one or last year with great shame.

• Options
    T. J. Nutty Nub T. J. Nutty Nub Registered User regular
    My friend said something similar to this as a made up rap name or something, and I remembered it when signing up

Also I spent $60 putting the space between the T and J

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    So in the hay days of video game sprite web comics, i tried my hand at it, it was dumb and bad but it amused my friends. the chief villain was a character that never appeared on screen named Captain Melding.

And then one day we were playing star craft over the internet and all my other names at the time, largely power tool names or names tools would use, so i made a battle.net account with the name Captainmelding and since then i've just used it because there is like one other guy using the name Melding on anything. Also the enemy faction in Firefall, so nothing important to confuse me with.

And that is why i have a dumb name. Because i am bad at naming and Stihl was taken on battle.net.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I won the coin flip and moved away from a convoluted number name to one that is funny only to me. I regret nothing.

Peen on
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Huntera wrote: »

tauren hunter

Except mine is better 8)

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    my name is awesome on so many levels

but I went by Vixen for an embarrassingly long time before I realized that if I added an extra vi and ne at the end it would basically be my name with an x in it

plus I wanted people to call me Viv instead of Vix, which is why I thought of a change in the first place

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    I spent months and months developing a name that Crwth would find the most attractive.

tumblr_m8psl47yCS1rty12bo1_500.gif

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    Huntera wrote: »

tauren hunter

Except mine is better 8)

Well yeah, mine is just putting the first letter of the alphabet on the end of "Hunter" because it wouldn't let me use "Hunter."

I am the most clever; a cleverness black hole where all other cleverness is consumed and added to the hive-mind.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I stole it from Xenogears because it sounded 'cool' to 15 year old me, years later I looked up its meaning and entomology and liked it even more.

I was actually going to use Chico's explanation but then he posted before me.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    AgentofOrangeAgentofOrange Registered User regular
    super secret: my first account here was made in 2004 under the name 'mouse', where I posted terrible doodles in the artist thread and got flamed out of the forum

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    Smart Hero wrote: »

gurrrrrl you better dish

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    It came down to a choice between TacoAnalSexReadingQCgurl and ChicoBlue.

I think I did the right thing.

• Options
    Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    my name is my first/middle name

how exciting

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    crwth wrote: »

gurrrrrl you better dish
    cum hero

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    I also got the name Dinosaur Quixote in some place, but that never comes up.

• Options
    beta_angelbeta_angel ColoradoRegistered User regular
    My initial nick on forums and whatnot was 'baphometsangel'.

I'm a big Clive Barker fan (note the avatar) and it was a bit of a nudge to his book Cabal (made into the film Nightbreed). The 'breed were followers of Baphomet and in a way, the angels and blah blah.

I ended up changing it when my soon to be wife and I got together. We purchased a 360 and needed a gamertag...so we mushed our online nicks together.

We met eachother on a goth board and she went by 'beta' with me still going by 'baphometsangel'.

beta_angel.

Plus, the imagery I ended up with in my head for beta_angel was top notch. :)

UEAKCrash wrote:
    BETA IS FUCKING CREDIT TO TEAM.
    EvilBadman wrote:
    Beta_Angel is awesome. Never doubt this.
    TF2 Hatpack
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I came up with my name back when I thought the alternating caps CS:S dudes where the coolest ever. And the name is slim but with a y because I am skinny and that's about it. If I ever get a chance to flip I'm gonna try to decapitalize the L and M.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    d20 Modern Class, because it was cool at the time.

Antimatter wrote: »
    crwth wrote: »

gurrrrrl you better dish
    dumb hero

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Ahava is Hebrew for 'to love' but it sounds better than the conjugated versions.

Ahava was the name of my first online RP character in some web based chatrooms. My 2nd character's name was "lonely eyes"

combine the two together when necessary to get an email address and there you go. my name.

i am so unoriginal. but it's been mine for close to like 16 years now.

• Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I once did Tube's coin toss to change my name from "thetheroo" to "Thetheroo"

Totally worth

Also, my name is not pronounced "thuh-thuh-roo" it's "thee-thee-roo"

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Viv, is Vixen the name you refused to tell us that time because you were embarassed about it being shitty?

Umm mine is nickname I get in real life because up until that time I'd never had a nickname expect for a shortening of my name to Alex. Some bright spark decided to call me Tef, short for Teflon because Nothing Else Sticks(TM). Sure enough it stuck and I'm not original enough to come up with a handle by myself

Tef on
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000 Administrator, ClubPA admin
    Mine has been with me since 1998 (wow, coming up on 15 years!). At that time, I was just starting at a job where we were allowed to use the company network to play games at lunch. The popular office game at the time was Quake 2. I needed a handle for the game, so I picked this one, based on the character from my favorite movie at the time.

• Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    I'm a lazy cunt

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    Tef wrote: »
    Viv, is Vixen the name you refused to tell us that time because you were embarassed about it being shitty?
    Nope!
    Umm mine is nickname I get in real life because up until that time I'd never had a nickname expect for a shortening of my name to Alex. Some bright decided to call me Tef, short for Teflon because Nothing Else Sticks(TM). Sure enough it stuck and I'm not original enough to come up with a handle by myself

hey that is pretty cool

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    I slap my Dick against other Dicks and come out on top

my first account here was lonestar runner like two weeks before I made this one

lonestar runner is funny because I'm from California and have never seen Homestar Runner and i don't run if I can help it

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    Harry Houdini gave me my name when I fell down the stairs as a baby

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    I will find out this mysterious forum handle one day, Viv.

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke