As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trying to share internet on Win7 (64) Profesional, using wi-fi

FANTOMASFANTOMAS FlanArgentavisRegistered User regular
edited August 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
Hello Help Forum, I need some help, or at least clarification.
I want to connect my Xbox to internet through my PC. This is the diagram of what I have right now.

diagramab.jpg

I have tried some things with no positive outcome, what I am most interested in knowing is if I can do what I want with the hardware that I currently have. I am not interested in buying new hardware or changing things untill I am positive that this is impossible to pull.

The modem has no wi-fi.
The PC has an ethernet card and a wi-fi. The ethernet is being used to connect to the modem.
The Xbox is not connected to anything.
PC runs windows 7 profesional, and I am not very familiar with it.

If there is any information that I am missing, please let me know so I can update the OP. Thanks in advance.

PS: Disconecting the PC, connecting the Xbox, and resetting the modem each time I want to do something diferent is very uncomfortable, and I fear for the health of the modem in the long run if I have to reset it and plug/unplug things to it every 5 minutes.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
FANTOMAS on

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    ICS is a pain in the dick to do. Is getting a wireless router out of the question?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    Its not 100% out of the question, but Id rather try to use what I have before spending more money on a game system.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    If you don't mind the extra cables, getting a cheapo network switch (basically just giving you more ethernet slots to work with) and a couple of similarly cheap ethernet cables online would do the trick. Would almost certainly be cheaper than a router since the device you're working with is okay with cables.

I don't have personal experience with ICS, because yeah, it's a huge pain... so I can't help you there.

• Options
    I don't know if his situation will work if his ISP is only giving out one DHCP lease (most).

• Options
    Essee wrote: »
    If you don't mind the extra cables, getting a cheapo network switch (basically just giving you more ethernet slots to work with) and a couple of similarly cheap ethernet cables online would do the trick. Would almost certainly be cheaper than a router since the device you're working with is okay with cables.

I don't have personal experience with ICS, because yeah, it's a huge pain... so I can't help you there.

I do have a cheap switch, and a ton of cables, how would you place them to do what I want?

@Bowen : I have no idea what my ISP is actually giving me, is there any online resource that I can use to test that, or is it information I should ask from the iliterate ISP customer service ?
    Also, I will check those link as soon as I get home, Im at the office for a couple more of hours... I do have the feeling I have already seen one of those.

Anyway, if they work I will update so the thread can be closed, if not... it means Ive failed.

• Options
    Almost all ISPs only give out 1 IP address unless you're paying for more. You'd know if you were, so the switch and plugging wires in is probably out of the equation there.

Those links should at least help you setting it up and connecting the ps3... no idea what kind of performance you'll get out of it. The cheapest router you can buy at the store should provide the functionality you're looking for though.

• Options
    EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    Okay, I admit I'm not super-experienced with networking stuff, but I could've sworn a friend of mine used a switch and not a router to connect multiple PCs at his house, without extra IP addresses from his ISP. From googling, that shouldn't really have worked. Maybe it was just such a cheap router it LOOKED like a switch then, it's possible. I thought it was too flimsy for it to be a router. :P At any rate, yeah, any cheap router, wireless or not, will let you connect multiple devices regardless of anything. Routers will deal with sending traffic wherever it's supposed to go for you (whereas a switch won't do that on its own, which is why it won't work without a router somewhere in your network). So it's up to you, OP, whether you want a wireless router or a boring wired one... I think, in stores at least, wireless routers are about the same price as this point so you might as well grab one. Buuut you can try ICS too. You may want to kill whoever invented it by the time you're done (I've never heard one positive thing about it in my life), but it's true that it's a free solution if it works.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Yeah most routers are indistinguishable from switches anymore (excluding wireless ones).

The biggest give-away is if it has a specific port that's labeled "Internet" or anything like that.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124344 -- here's a super cheap router. No idea on the quality though. Cisco stuff seems pretty solid anyways.

bowen on
  • Options
    RushJet1RushJet1 Registered User new member
    edited August 2012
    I tried connectify to share my Wi-Fi over the same device and that worked fine, so I'm pretty sure it'd work to share your wired internet over wireless as well. Pretty much the same thing as ICS, except that it creates an actual hotspot instead of just being ad-hoc. Probably easier to set up if you don't want to mess with ICS.

RushJet1 on
  • Options
    HorusHorus Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    What about these? I know you will need to pay but for the time and money this is a good alternative approach.
    http://www.deadzones.com/2011/06/how-to-boost-wifi-signal-using.html

Been debating getting one to improve my xbox wifi signal.

“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
    ― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!
  • Options
    bigbhbigbh Registered User regular
    Try creating a hostednetwork and then bridging the virtual wifi adapter with your NIC.

• Options
    Thanks for all the responses, I will start trying all this suggestions, I will try conectify first, then hostednetwork, and then move to the money involving solutions if all else fails.

• Options
    Well, I tried conectify lite (limited time trial I think) and it worked like a charm on the first try. Video streaming seems to be good, I have yet to see if my already high lag as increased.

Thanks a lot to all the good ideas I got here, as soon as I budget-up I will probably try something more robust and less boring, as suggested by Bowen an Esee.

@Horus that looks very good, right now the xbox is in the same room as the PC, so signal its not an issue, but it does open posibilities regarding "stuff" placement around the house.

PS: Another case solved by the PA:Help Team, now we can let the thread sink, silent and proud.

• Options
    :^: good job, glad it worked out