As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ralph Nader Appreciation Thread [Cars]

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    So, any car that costs less than a Ferrari 458 is not a nice car? I think you really came off as a jerk. I mean, my dream cars are Aston Martins and Mclarens, but, hell, if someone has a nice Mustang I'll go "Oooooh". Like, the Boss 302 is RAD. And is less than a mediocre BMW.

I'm sure that Maserati was a nice car.

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    So, any car that costs less than a Ferrari 458 is not a nice car? I think you really came off as a jerk. I mean, my dream cars are Aston Martins and Mclarens, but, hell, if someone has a nice Mustang I'll go "Oooooh". Like, the Boss 302 is RAD. And is less than a mediocre BMW.

I'm sure that Maserati was a nice car.

I think it's just the snotty talking himself up thing he tried to do. You can tell a lot from tone that you can't get across online.

I can't really think of a good counter example, but I kind of see what he meant.

Like, the dude just knew that "Maserati" was a cool brand so he went and got the cheapest one, then brags about the brand name.

Like, if the dude just drove it, then yeah, it'd be nice. But going all inflated-ego over having the cheapest car in a line that produces some really nice cars is kind of annoying.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Course by cheapest Maserati you mean the one that costs $700/mo just to lease. And it is kinda ugly, but all of Maseratis four door cars are kinda ugly.

• Options
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Course by cheapest Maserati you mean the one that costs $700/mo just to lease. And it is kinda ugly, but all of Maseratis four door cars are kinda ugly.

Cost per month doesn't mean a thing when it's daddy paying for it

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Oh, I know. I went to the rich kid high school in my area. I know all about that shit.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Uhhh...

The Ghibli is a nice car. I'm not a huge fan of the front end styling, I think the Quattroporte is a much more handsome vehicle, but poo-pooing some dude because your're jealous of his ride just makes you a dick.

Also the base models come with Contis stock, don't they? I know the S comes with Dunlop Sport Maxx rubber fitted.

• Options
    Wicked Uncle ErnieWicked Uncle Ernie Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Since when are Contis bad tires?

I mean, it's a $65k car... not that Maserati cars are all that special anyway, but it's on par with whatever V8 headturner with 400 HP out there....

Wicked Uncle Ernie on
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Delmain got it and I probably could have been more clear, but it was entirely the kids attitude towards the car. Its not the first time I ran across the car and heard him bragging about it. Its also in the middle of the fraternity houses for the major university in town, and driving around there always puts me in an unpleasant mood.

I am not saying the Ghibli is a bad car, far from it. But when you put out there that the car makes you top dog and you don't have the top car (nor does he pay a dime for it, but thats a different thread)? Shit gets to you sometimes, ya know?

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    How do you know he doesn't pay for it?

• Options

Gonna go with "because he's 20, in a frat, and is a dick about his car"

Those things don't scream "has the money to pay several hundred dollars per month"

• Options
    People make broad assumptions about others based on their appearance ITT.

• Options
    People make broad assumptions about others based on their appearance, attitude, and actions ITT.

• Options
    All we know is the guy drives a Maserati, brags about having a Maserati, and hangs out in an area near university fraternities. It seems Veevee also frequents that area as well since he seems to be there enough to hear this guy bragging about owning a Maserati. All we know is the guy has an inflated ego. That's it. And you seem to think that gives you all sorts of insight into this dude's financial situation.

So there's more than one person with an inflated ego out there.

• Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I knew a guy in college who leased a brand new m3 in 2002. He just worked friken 40 hours a week on top of 15 or so credits per semester. He didn't do too well in his engineering program but he sure drove a nice car.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    that new miata is sexy

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014

Walking behind him a couple weeks back and he mentioned it while on the phone. I frequent this area because I work at a university owned and operated hotel that's situated right in the center of "frat row". It is amazing the information you can get about someone listening to not-so-private phone conversations while they walk down the street or on the bus.

And how do I know it was the same guy? It's my job to remember people and know who they are and what we've previously talked about, even 6 months later. It was the same guy

Veevee on
  • Options
    All we know is the guy drives a Maserati, brags about having a Maserati, and hangs out in an area near university fraternities. It seems Veevee also frequents that area as well since he seems to be there enough to hear this guy bragging about owning a Maserati. All we know is the guy has an inflated ego. That's it. And you seem to think that gives you all sorts of insight into this dude's financial situation.

So there's more than one person with an inflated ego out there.

Swing and a miss...

• Options
    Veevee wrote: »

Walking behind him a couple weeks back and he mentioned it while on the phone. I frequent this area because I work at a university owned and operated hotel that's situated right in the center of "frat row". It is amazing the information you can get about someone listening to not-so-private phone conversations while they walk down the street or on the bus.

And how do I know it was the same guy? It's my job to remember people and know who they are and what we've previously talked about, even 6 months later. It was the same guy

Congratulations.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Dilemma time.
    I have an '06 Subaru Legacy GT.
    The shitty plastic engine underbody cover is coming off, and I need to replace it. I have three options.
    I can:
    1. Replace the it with the stock one for like $80 or so. It will also come off in a few years again, but protect the engine
    2. Go with no cover
    3. Get a steel or aluminum engine underbody cover, which will cost like 4x as much as the shitty stock one, but hopefully not have to be replaced again.
    I live in Minnesota where we have shitty, long, snowy winters.
    Thoughts? I'm honestly really indecisive over this.

• Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    Ok. I own a Mazda CX-9 that gets 18mpg and it huge.
    I need something smaller, fuel efficient, "more fun than a cx-9" around 30k as a commuter.
    I am thinking Mazda 3 S Grand Touring.

Any other suggestions?

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Dilemma time.
    The shitty plastic engine underbody cover is coming off, and I need to replace it. I have three options.
    I can:
    1. Replace the it with the stock one for like $80 or so. It will also come off in a few years again, but protect the engine
    2. Go with no cover
    3. Get a steel or aluminum engine underbody cover, which will cost like 4x as much as the shitty stock one, but hopefully not have to be replaced again.

Plastic bellypans don't do much to protect the engine-if anything. They are mainly for aerodynamic/wind noise concerns. Really, the greatest concern for "damage" coming from under the car is driving through a large puddle, and either blowing the belt off or ingesting water. The bellypan won't do much anything for the latter, but might help with the former.

If it were my car, I'd leave it off. In fact, my bellypan is missing :lol:

useless4 wrote: »
    Ok. I own a Mazda CX-9 that gets 18mpg and it huge.
    I need something smaller, fuel efficient, "more fun than a cx-9" around 30k as a commuter.
    I am thinking Mazda 3 S Grand Touring.

Any other suggestions?

30k will get you basically any hot hatch, you can easily find slightly used V8 Mustangs, Challengers, etc.. You'll have to get more specific with what you want out of a car, in the 2012 and up range you can get a hell of a lot with 30k.

Also, The Dodge Hellcat can't get through California emissions....and it seems they can just turn the Horsepower up to 825 O_o

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/09/16/indications-825hp-emissions-issues-hellcat-speculation/

I mean, we can program a red key for the Viper, and just pop in an additional 200hp with a flash, so being able to tune more HP isn't a big deal, but 825, :D

Wicked Uncle Ernie on
  • Options
    Four hundred street horsepower is more than enough! Like, cars get to be undriveable after that, in my experience. What would one do with 700+ HP??

Also, thanks for the advice. I'm kind of leaning back towards replacing it with the stock one. I know I've accidentally ran over road boogers in the past, but getting stuck in the snow (have I mentioned it's a Subaru?) I think is what did it in.

• Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Dilemma time.
    I can:
    2. Go with no cover

I live in Colorado with not as shitty snowy winters and I don't have a underbody cover on my Subie and I am fine with it.
    We probably have to deal with less mag-chloride so YMMV.
    Also, The Dodge Hellcat can't get through California emissions....and it seems they can just turn the Horsepower up to 825 O_o

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/09/16/indications-825hp-emissions-issues-hellcat-speculation/

I mean, we can program a red key for the Viper, and just pop in an additional 200hp with a flash, so being able to tune more HP isn't a big deal, but 825, :D

Did they at least try and give it tires, brakes, and suspension to match that ridiculous engine?

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    edited September 2014

Did they at least try and give it tires, brakes, and suspension to match that ridiculous engine?

The transmission is a beefed up Viper trans, suspension and brakes and everything have been addressed, Top Gear said it handled admirably:

It drives much better than you’d think a car weighing over 2,000kg could and should. Unlike the nervy Shelby GT500, it doesn’t ever feel like it’s going to flick you off the road or track if you don’t concentrate 100 per cent. Its attitude is fully – and hilariously – adjustable on the gas almost as much as with the wheel. But it never feels anything other than neutral and on your side, which allows you to enjoy all the performance on offer. It also stays remarkably composed when braking or cornering heavily, so you can indulge your right foot without getting into too much bother. It might look like the ’71 car, but it handles like a modern muscle car should.

Perhaps there is some Ferrari seeping into Mopar? They suggest the Hellcat engine could be stuffed into a "rethought" Viper, perhaps with the addition of an electric motor, a la Mclaren P1 or LaFerrari.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/dodge-challenger-srt-hellcat-review-2014-7-23

Being so close to the Mopar product line, it is surprising to see the difference in quality from even 2010 or 2011 to the 2013-2014 stuff. From interior fit and finish to right foot responsiveness with these auto transmissions..it's surprising.

Except the Cherokee. That thing is a piece of garbage.

Wicked Uncle Ernie on
  • Options
    Dilemma time.
    I can:
    2. Go with no cover

The bellypan also helps prevent the engine electrics getting soaked when you drive through puddles. You can take it off, and leave it off if you want, but I'd personally get a factory unit fitted properly so that it doesn't come off again.

• Options
    Perhaps there is some Ferrari seeping into Mopar?

That's some seriously wishful thinking, man.

• Options
    edited September 2014

"Company insiders hinted that the Viper is being completely rethought. Now that Fiat and Chrysler are one company, all technology is being shared across the company – including Ferrari’s for the first time – which opens the door to a possible hybrid Viper." - the Top Gear article above

Maybe just serious thinking.

Like I said, the quality of Chrysler cars in the past two years is surprising. I was a little apprehensive to get involved with Chrysler, my experiences with their cars left a pretty poor impression. The Daimler days were all form, ignore function, and prior that they basically made throwaway cars and lived of the Grand Caravan/Ram truck. Even the Dart/Cherokee are mostly Fiat design (Even though no-one wants to buy a Dart). It's not a stretch to think that Fiat will start sharing more technology, and they are the majority holders in both Chrylser and Ferrari (and Alfa and Maserati).

At the same time, it seems that Ferrari is getting their panties in a twist at the notion that the new Viper ACR will have a better power:weight than the F12 Berlinetta, so that partnership may cut both ways.

Wicked Uncle Ernie on
  • Options
    I was a little apprehensive to get involved with Chrysler, my experiences with their cars left a pretty poor impression. The Daimler days were all form, ignore function, and prior that they basically made throwaway cars and lived of the Grand Caravan/Ram truck. Even the Dart/Cherokee are mostly Fiat design (Even though no-one wants to buy a Dart).

Speaking only for myself, I will never buy another Dodge/Chrysler/whatever. You're completely right here.
    I think most people are still afraid of Fiats as well. I mean, they've left a bad taste in everyone's mouths after the shitty quality cars they did bring over here.

I think even if they took a Ferrari, rebadged the whole thing to Viper or Dodge or what have you, it wouldn't sell, even if all the guts were the same.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    I think even if they took a Ferrari, rebadged the whole thing to Viper or Dodge or what have you, it wouldn't sell, even if all the guts were the same.

It certainly wouldn't sell for Ferrari money.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I was a little apprehensive to get involved with Chrysler, my experiences with their cars left a pretty poor impression. The Daimler days were all form, ignore function, and prior that they basically made throwaway cars and lived of the Grand Caravan/Ram truck. Even the Dart/Cherokee are mostly Fiat design (Even though no-one wants to buy a Dart).

Speaking only for myself, I will never buy another Dodge/Chrysler/whatever. You're completely right here.
    I think most people are still afraid of Fiats as well. I mean, they've left a bad taste in everyone's mouths after the shitty quality cars they did bring over here.

Chrysler's image is improving, The Grand Cherokee, the Wrangler, Challenger and 300C all sell pretty well. Forbes just reported that Chrysler's year over year was way up, 20% or something...or just Summer predictions, whatever, doing well. I wouldn't really recommend any of Chrysler's small cars, I think they are pretty crap (but there's only two of them), and if you need something like that, get a Toyota or a Hyundai, but anything the hemi fits in is pretty badass. The new 3.6l Pentastar is a really nice motor, problems (that are fixed under warranty anyway) aside. It's one of the first motors I've driven that make the "budget" models not feel like you're missing something. A V6 300C scoots pretty well. Even so, the V6 Challenger is still embarrassing.

It certainly wouldn't sell for Ferrari money.

That's kinda what I'm driving at here. The direction they are moving in, they would never consider rebadging a Ferrari. They might share tech, but the heart of the thing will still be Dodge, and looking at what Dodge can do already (http://www.allpar.com/cars/viper/record-setting.html) there is potential for the Mopar lineup to break out of the Big 3 automakers and start really competing in a different arena. If you look at their cars, it is obvious they are not trying to outsell Chevy (Aside from the 'vette, which is a hell of a car) or Ford, the fit&finish just blows those away. They want to take on VW/Audi, BMW, etc.

Whether they can get there remains to be seen, there's still the public sentiment that L Ron Howard is echoing here, and-as with all American car makers- they have to live down the 80s and 90s entirely. It's a steep climb.

Also, they just dropped the Viper's price 15k on all models, to better compete with the Corvette, which is stiff competition, to be sure. I think the biggest takeaway here, is that they are looking at the Viper next, and if the Hellcat reviews aren't all just hot air, then that indicates something interesting on the way.

What really blows me away is GM's sales numbers, and the lasting F-150 king of everything in America. Such garbage.

Wicked Uncle Ernie on
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    Did my ARK GT-F lowering springs today, came out good. It's just about an 1" drop, but makes the ride soooo much tighter.

Now to decide if I want to get a strut bar or not.... hmmm.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options

"Company insiders hinted that the Viper is being completely rethought. Now that Fiat and Chrysler are one company, all technology is being shared across the company – including Ferrari’s for the first time – which opens the door to a possible hybrid Viper." - the Top Gear article above

Maybe just serious thinking.

Like I said, the quality of Chrysler cars in the past two years is surprising. I was a little apprehensive to get involved with Chrysler, my experiences with their cars left a pretty poor impression. The Daimler days were all form, ignore function, and prior that they basically made throwaway cars and lived of the Grand Caravan/Ram truck. Even the Dart/Cherokee are mostly Fiat design (Even though no-one wants to buy a Dart). It's not a stretch to think that Fiat will start sharing more technology, and they are the majority holders in both Chrylser and Ferrari (and Alfa and Maserati).

At the same time, it seems that Ferrari is getting their panties in a twist at the notion that the new Viper ACR will have a better power:weight than the F12 Berlinetta, so that partnership may cut both ways.

The ACR might be faster in a straight line, but it'll never be a Ferrari. They might slap a hybrid drivetrain in some Dodge models, but what would the market be for a hybrid Viper?

The kinds of folks that buy Vipers think cars like Porsche 918 Spiders are 'for pussies'.

• Options
    Hmmmmmm

So looks like my dad and I are going to be replacing the AC condenser in my mom's Town and Country. They were driving down the interstate the otherday and something just blew. They pulled over and it looked like it was just venting all the freon from the system. They let it sit a while and started it back up when it was done. The engine never got warm (so the radiator is still all good), but as expected, the AC didn't work.

So yeah, anyone ever had to do that? Looks like replacing the actual condenser isn't that bad, but what do I need to know about draining/evaccing the system and making sure it's good to go get it recharged somewhere?

• Options
    Unscrewing the fittings on the condenser where the pipes fit up can be a real pain in the arse.

Apply a penetrating lubricant like CRC 556 LIBERALLY before you try to wind them off. The aluminum threads love to strip out.

You will need a replacement filter and to have an a/c guy refill with lubricant for the compressor, and re-gas the system.

• Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    So almost two years ago I bought an RSX Type S. I was leaning more towards a WRX but wanted more reliability, better MPGs etc. I've since deeply fallen in love with the car. Though I always thought it could use JUST one or two dozen more horses. A decent bump, but nothing extravagant.

I was thinking pretty hard about getting Hondata. I'm not a guy who does mods, she's still bone stock and I like it that way. I'm not made of money, like my reliability and stock is easier to sell later.

But I had a sudden thought. Does anyone remember the Top Gear where they try to take that Avantime van around the track as fast as an Evo? The biggest gain they got was from a simple tune up. Dynos before and after took it from 157 hp -> 206. Almost a 50 horse power bump! On a 6 year old car, where my car is twice as old. Torque got a nice bump as well.
    They mentioned they did air filter (er, no worries there) injectors, and inlet manifold. These parts don't seem terribly expensive doing some quick searching. But would paying a mechanic for install break the bank? Is this a silly investment? How typically do cars lose horse power as they age?

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    The best bang for your buck to gain power would be an ECU flash. Those can range from $300 to $700 depending on the car, how the flash is done, the level of tune (stage 1,2, 3, etc), and labor costs. Some cars you can flash yourself through the OBD II port while others need complete removal of the ECU. Either way, see if there are any tuners local to you and go talk to them. See what kinds of things they recommend and what they can do for you. If you don't have the tools or aptitude to do the stuff yourself finding a local shop is really helpful.

From there you have a ton of options like intake, exhaust, cams, a clutch and other transmission parts to improve performance/feel and deal with extra power, light wheels, better stickier tires, turbo charging, etc.

I'll say the same thing I said to someone else in this thread or the other car thread in SE++, but figure out what you want to do with your car, what kind of performance you're looking for, and what you budget is. Do you want improved handling with more power making your car more of a sports car/canyon carver or are you looking for pure straight line speed?

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Just one or two dozen horse power is all, shes a daily I want to last more than a few years. I was interested in Hondata but the "better" one requires an intake. And I don't want to worry about hydro lock.
    I've been told over and over a CAI is probably the best first mod and bang for your buck on the RSX. I also had the same guy said thats how he lost his first Integra.

Which is why I was interested in the simple tune up. If they got 50 HP out of a car with the same power as my car, and my car is twice as old I can see the power that I want already existing in the car. And it keeps me stock, which I like.
    I'm just not sure how common that kind of power lose and gain is with age and a tune up.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    While I do have an intake on my car it's there to support the ECU flash. An intake by itself isn't really going to do anything or add any noticeable power. Unless you regularly drive through standing water I cant imaging hydrolock would ever be an issue.

Whether or not a tune up is going to add noticeable power is a question better answered by @chrishallett83 or @Wicked Uncle Ernie.

Late edit: If you do start modifying I would keep the stock parts to put back on when you do want to sell the car. An unmolested RSX Type S is is going to have very high resale value versus one that's been heavily modified. If that's what you have in mind, keep things simple and easily replaceable with stock parts when that time comes. You'll never get back what you put into the car but you might be able to sell the aftermarket parts to the buyer. I've never been into the JDM or Honda/Nissan/Acura tuning scene, but I always thought the last generation of the RSX was a cool car. I recall one of the US car mags actually liking the Type S more than the first generation WRX.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    Yea if I did go with some mods it would be the Hondata and CAI combo. Its roughly the amount of power I'm looking for(also earlier and longer VTEC? Delicious). Sadly I do drive through standing water quite a bit. I need to be at work everyday and its all back roads out here. I know at least two friends who have lost cars due to it. Just lots of hills and puddles out here sadly. But I'm hoping I can actually get more power out of the tune up. Maybe one day in the future I can go with the intake, but as I said I'm kind of broke and prefer stock for many reasons.
    The tune up could potentially satisfy me on almost all fronts.

• Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    The tune up they did wasn't so much a tune up as a retune, new intake MANIFOLD not air intake, etc etc. We are not talking about a small thing. Your best bet would be intake and exhaust to free up the air flow and a reflash to take advantage of it.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
This discussion has been closed.