As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Election 2012: DNC Week

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    We are not all herp a derping AMFE stop echo chambering my vibe.

But if you're echoing the chamber, and I'm echoing the chamber...

I echoed your chamber, I echoed it all night long, like a hot dog down a skag den if you know what I'm saying.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Fallout2manFallout2man Vault Dweller Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    They're not placating Republicans. They're placating religious and conservative Democrats and independents (who they most certainly do need to court to win this thing).

You guys are all being, well geese doesn't quite have the force I need it to here, but you're being that.

This isn't "the US is a theocracy herp derp" freaking come on.

Who cares about the inclusion of one word at the beginning of the platform? (Especially when they passed it fine without the word to begin.) Only people so shallow they cannot support anything that does not placate their bubble-world where everyone "good" is a "God-fearing-Christian." I question whether such people would ever vote Democrat in numbers to matter but as I have not the data to support that I'll just say it doesn't quite make sense. Secondly, after all the caterwauling Republicans are doing this season (as well as how many times they are outright getting caught lying) and how they even took the platform's change out of context to attempt to make it into a hot-button "Democrats are anti-christian!" issue...I wonder whether or not those likely Democratic voters you posit would really be swayed by the GOP argument.

Of course, to that point, the rest of us will forget it as well and that's why I'd refer to it more as a tactical blunder than anything. Still, this is one of those areas where I hold my nose and say "If we have to, fine, but I'm not going to pretend to like it." It's probably just due to me being raised in the uberconservative and highly religious Central California area, and having grown up dealing with these controlling assholes. But I know how they twist words and form arguments and this, right here gives them a way to argue that even the Democrats agree with them, "and if you don't you're amoral heathen scum!" Knowing that this will inevitably lead to that, triggers a lot of latent aggression and I can't help but seethe inside at this.

Fallout2man on
    On Ignorance:
    Kana wrote:
    If the best you can come up with against someone who's patently ignorant is to yell back at him, "Yeah? Well there's BOOKS, and they say you're WRONG!"

Then honestly you're not coming out of this looking great either.
  • Options
    LolkenLolken Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    So I live in rural Vermont in a town of 4000 called Windsor. Today in his travels, Romney stopped by West Windsor (not really a separate town, but the folks who live there would like it to be if you catch my drift)...

Are the West Windsorians proclaiming no taxation without representation? Or are they claiming nullification and not-really-separate-town's rights?

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    It's more of a fake town line that was drawn by rich folks. Particularly in the past couple decades since the local tire plant closed and the blue collar jobs dried up they like to emphasize that they live in West Windsor.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    Kana wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Well I'm glad people are dealing this rationally and not like calling for someone to be burned alive or anything...

Seriously, what the fuck.

I don't like God being in the plank at all, but for fuck's sake, it's a meaningless pander. People have been cheering on the DNC for being hard-hitting this election season, part of playing the game in the cutthroat-manner the DNC should be playing it is cutting losses and not fighting over giving the RNC meaningless garbage to whine about. It'd be one thing if they were throwing gays under the bus for votes again or something, but when it's silly bullshit about a meaningless word appearing or not appearing in the plank that will literally have no effect on the real world, who gives a fuck?

The God thing is just kind of meh, but toying with recognizing Jerusalem is pretty fucked up and I can't imagine how anyone can think it was a good idea.

The funny thing is both parties usually recognize Jerusalem as the Israeli capital... But the US government does not. So it's basically something that they throw in there without either side planning on actually acting on it.

Personally I'm pretty damn fed up with a certain voting block's attitude that the US promoting the interests of Israel is at the very least equally important as the US promoting the interests of America.

I'm a little surprised at this. It's obviously the capitol and seat of government, what's to be gained from denialism?

In other news, Denise Juneau sounds just like Lumpy Space Princess.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    I really, really don't understand why these conventions allow measures to be decided based on how many yeas or nays the dude thinks he hears from the podium. And then people complain that their concerns are not accurately represented. This is a democracy, not a wet t-shirt contest--"by round of applause, how do you feel" is not the way to decide issues on a national stage. Give them all electronic buttons or some shit, OR accept that the people in charge get to pick what they want to win any time the vote is even remotely close.

You are aware that voice vote also exists in the Congress, yes?

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    MSNBC is saying that Obama personally told the convention guys to put God and the Jerusalem thing in there. I'd personally prefer neither being included, but the worst part is the awkward way they handled the change. Now there's footage of the delegates "booing and shouting down God". I don't think this was really going to be an issue until they handled it this way, but maybe I underestimate the GOP.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    How many bitcoins for bail again?
    FRANKLIN, Tenn. (AP) - The Secret Service said Weds. it is investigating the reported theft of copies of Mitt Romney's federal tax records

(there was no theft)

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    You are aware that voice vote also exists in the Congress, yes?

And this is supposed to be an argument for voice votes? ;p

On Ignorance:
    Kana wrote:
    If the best you can come up with against someone who's patently ignorant is to yell back at him, "Yeah? Well there's BOOKS, and they say you're WRONG!"

• Options
    Tonight should be a good night, bubba speaking and the Dallas Cowboys about to kick the hell out of the NY FOOTBALL giants, so that Dallas gets a little false hope to start the season. Now if only the Yankees lose out the season and don't make the playoffs I'll have like 8 hate boners.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Bagginses wrote: »
    Well I'm glad people are dealing this rationally and not like calling for someone to be burned alive or anything...

I don't like God being in the plank at all, but for fuck's sake, it's a meaningless pander. People have been cheering on the DNC for being hard-hitting this election season, part of playing the game in the cutthroat-manner the DNC should be playing it is cutting losses and not fighting over giving the RNC meaningless garbage to whine about. It'd be one thing if they were throwing gays under the bus for votes again or something, but when it's silly bullshit about a meaningless word appearing or not appearing in the plank that will literally have no effect on the real world, who gives a fuck?

The God thing is just kind of meh, but toying with recognizing Jerusalem is pretty fucked up and I can't imagine how anyone can think it was a good idea.

The funny thing is both parties usually recognize Jerusalem as the Israeli capital... But the US government does not. So it's basically something that they throw in there without either side planning on actually acting on it.

Personally I'm pretty damn fed up with a certain voting block's attitude that the US promoting the interests of Israel is at the very least equally important as the US promoting the interests of America.

I'm a little surprised at this. It's obviously the capitol and seat of government, what's to be gained from denialism?

Following international law until a permanent status agreement can be reached.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    So I had a thought that could get the right to really shit itself, what are the odds of repealing the 22nd ammendment? I know it's been brought up many times through the years, and I wouldn't mind keeping Obama around for 4 more years after this next set of 4, but I can only imagine the claims of Obama trying to take over the country the right would start spewing.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    How many bitcoins for bail again?
    FRANKLIN, Tenn. (AP) - The Secret Service said Weds. it is investigating the reported theft of copies of Mitt Romney's federal tax records

(there was no theft)

The Secret Service investigates all threats against the president (and presidential candidates).

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular

In other news, Denise Juneau sounds just like Lumpy Space Princess.
    All of the embassies are in Tel Aviv.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Tonight should be a good night, bubba speaking and the Dallas Cowboys about to kick the hell out of the NY FOOTBALL giants, so that Dallas gets a little false hope to start the season. Now if only the Yankees lose out the season and don't make the playoffs I'll have like 8 hate boners.

oh get serious preach, the cowboys can't beat the giants.

now, the yankees losing out may actually happen. at least it's baltimore leading that charge, and TB, not fucking boston.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Veevee wrote: »
    So I had a thought that could get the right to really shit itself, what are the odds of repealing the 22nd ammendment? I know it's been brought up many times through the years, and I wouldn't mind keeping Obama around for 4 more years after this next set of 4, but I can only imagine the claims of Obama trying to take over the country the right would start spewing.

Between never and never. Obama will be lucky to get four more years, and lucky is being used ironically since the GOP will go nuclear in opposition.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    If the republicans drafted a plank in their party platform to oppose the yankees

Man I'd be a really conflicted registered voter

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    HorusHorus Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    holy crap ABC streaming is annoying... CSPAN wins and I hope I can stream it on my iphone

“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
    ― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    MSNBC is saying that Obama personally told the convention guys to put God and the Jerusalem thing in there. I'd personally prefer neither being included, but the worst part is the awkward way they handled the change. Now there's footage of the delegates "booing and shouting down God". I don't think this was really going to be an issue until they handled it this way, but maybe I underestimate the GOP.

Chris Hayes' analysis was the best:
    Don't feed the trolls.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

I'm a little surprised at this. It's obviously the capitol and seat of government, what's to be gained from denialism?.

Not having a nuke go off on the temple mount?

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    At least the RNC had no issue with their platform or anything, so this is entirely a DNC thing that we should all be ashamed of.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    HorusHorus Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    am I the only one who thinks Sen. Barbara looks cute cause shes pudgy, at least she joked about her stature.

“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
    ― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!
  • Options
    Wow, "A Woman's Voice" was terrible. I think it gave me uterine cancer, and I'm a guy.

Yes, I will be posting all my catty opinions for the night. For example, Nancy Pelosi has the same accent as that woman who always harrasses actresses at red carpet events. You know, the one who looks like she's been dehydrated.

• Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »

Zero and it's a terrible idea anyway. You do it for the one guy you like and next thing you know Nixon is entering his fifth term and Ozymandias is staging aa false-flag attack on NYC.

• Options
    Wow, "A Woman's Voice" was terrible. I think it gave me uterine cancer, and I'm a guy.

Yes, I will be posting all my catty opinions for the night. For example, Nancy Pelosi has the same accent as that woman who always harrasses actresses at red carpet events. You know, the one who looks like she's been dehydrated.

Ryan Seacrest?

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options

Joan Rivers, and Pelosi is like 80 cut her some slack.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    benholiobenholio Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    They're not placating Republicans. They're placating religious and conservative Democrats and independents (who they most certainly do need to court to win this thing).

You guys are all being, well geese doesn't quite have the force I need it to here, but you're being that.

This isn't "the US is a theocracy herp derp" freaking come on.

Who cares about the inclusion of one word at the beginning of the platform? (Especially when they passed it fine without the word to begin.) Only people so shallow they cannot support anything that does not placate their bubble-world where everyone "good" is a "God-fearing-Christian." I question whether such people would ever vote Democrat in numbers to matter but as I have not the data to support that I'll just say it doesn't quite make sense. Secondly, after all the caterwauling Republicans are doing this season (as well as how many times they are outright getting caught lying) and how they even took the platform's change out of context to attempt to make it into a hot-button "Democrats are anti-christian!" issue...I wonder whether or not those likely Democratic voters you posit would really be swayed by the GOP argument.

Of course, to that point, the rest of us will forget it as well and that's why I'd refer to it more as a tactical blunder than anything. Still, this is one of those areas where I hold my nose and say "If we have to, fine, but I'm not going to pretend to like it." It's probably just due to me being raised in the uberconservative and highly religious Central California area, and having grown up dealing with these controlling assholes. But I know how they twist words and form arguments and this, right here gives them a way to argue that even the Democrats agree with them, "and if you don't you're amoral heathen scum!" Knowing that this will inevitably lead to that, triggers a lot of latent aggression and I can't help but seethe inside at this.

You do realize that a huge part of the democratic base are evangelical African Americans. Churches regularly bus their members to rallies, conventions, and even to vote. They could definitely lose a lot of votes by offending church leaders who often influence how their congregations vote.

benholio on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I wonder if they intentionally intended that segment on the Katy Perry lyric: "After a hurricane comes a rainbow."

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Is there some rule stating that female Dem politicians have to look like their hair is a helmet? Wait, is Murkowski Jewish? I think she's wearing a sheitel.

Arne Duncan Certainly exists. Sounds a little like Harley Quinn.

Edit:
    Jim Hunt looks just like some televangelist, but can't figure out which. Sounds like a cross between Foghorn Leghorn and the plantation owner.

Bagginses on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    If the republicans drafted a plank in their party platform to oppose the yankees

Man I'd be a really conflicted registered voter
    Steinbrenner was once convicted of illegal political donations to Nixon and gave heavily to the GOP and now Hank and Hal Steinbrenner do. I don't think you have anything to worry about

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    benholio wrote: »
    You do realize that a huge part of the democratic base are evangelical African Americans. Churches regularly bus their members to rallies, conventions, and even to vote. They could definitely lose a lot of votes by offending church leaders who often influence how their congregations vote.

And they would be swayed based solely on the inclusion or non-inclusion of one word in the opening paragraphs of the Democratic party platform? To the point where they'd change their votes or stay home? If so why did this only happen after the Republicans made an issue out of this? Are you saying that they would actually listen to Republican talking points that much? I mean maybe I am the out of touch one here, but I really would think that considering the lovely section on Faith that they wouldn't allow that one thing to be an issue. Especially considering it only became an issue because the group who regularly tells them that they are "lazy whiners asking for handouts" is the one making it an issue.

On Ignorance:
    Kana wrote:

• Options
    Cecile Richards has an emo haircut. Like the pin and jacket, though. The traditionalist man in me wishes she's worn a non-match blouse. White, maybe.

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    A bunch of comments on the appearances of female speakers. Seems a tad unneccesary.

Absalon on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I was listening to conservative radio and they said something about DNC delegates move Israel's capitol away and then the Jewish Democrats threatened to pull their funding so they put it back in that Jerusalem is the capitol of Israel even though the majority didn't want it that way --- what really happened?

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    At least the RNC had no issue with their platform or anything, so this is entirely a DNC thing that we should all be ashamed of.

Poe's law here, I can't tell if this is sarcasm/irony or not. The whole Ron Paul thing and change in delegates was kind of a thing. This was a paraphrased quote from a Republican delegate at the RNC, when Romney changed the rules.

"They are infringing on our rights."

Anyhow, on the the "God" thing. On a personal level, I don't mind God, because I like the lessons that Jesus teaches, I think they are great teachings. But I am a big HUGE fucking fan of separation of church and state. Also, there are more than Christians that are on the Democrats side. Hindus, Jews, Muslims, Native-Americans, Buddists, ect that find a place in the big tent on the DNC. So I kinda feel like they were just disenfranchised.

On the other hand, Christians are a rather large demographic, so strategically, I'm not sure what is the better move.

Still a tad disappointed.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    KhruskyKhrusky United KingdomRegistered User regular
    For those who weren't around to see it, Emanuel Cleaver II made a notably good speech, in a gospel preacher manner.

• Options
    Cecile Richards has an emo haircut. Like the pin and jacket, though. The traditionalist man in me wishes she's worn a non-match blouse. White, maybe.

White gets overused as a shirtcloth for formal affairs and treated as if it is a blank canvas when it really isn't nearly as complimentary as people assume. Being blonde I don't know if she'd be able to make ecru work or not.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Cecile Richards has some of her mother in her.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Absalon wrote: »
    A bunch of comments on the appearances of female speakers. Seems a tad unneccesary.

I've been making fun of the speakers as they come up. The fact that it's mostly women reflects the good demographics of the convention and the fact that every dude to come on the stage has the same haircut. Except for Kalibak (D-TX), who had facial hair.

Stuny Hoyer looks like he hasn't slept in a month and has an oddly small mouth. Needs a tailor, which is also fairly common among the men on stage.

• Options
    Absalon wrote: »

I've also mocked Ryan's need to go see a tailor, and lauded Joe Biden's acknowledgement that colors other than gray and navy exist. Also Herman Cain busting out the double breasted, until it started to look like that was the only suit and tie he owned.

This discussion has been closed.