As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pong Thread - Adventures in Olfaction

BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOTKILL DRACULARegistered User regular
edited August 2012 in Social Entropy++
(not the video game)

Peg%20on%20Nose.jpg

so smells are a thing

what are the best ones? the worst? i live right by a sewage plant and am used to it so when visitors gag and fall about i look at them all smug

my favourite smell is probably the smell of warm asphalt after rain

post yr fav smells itt

Beasteh on

• BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    kochikens can smell taste like a lizard i saw her do it

Beasteh on
    heh

assphalt

• satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    fresh cut grass smells really disgusting to me

• OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Off the end of the internet, just turn left.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    You smell ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

It's just like being 10 again

orthanc
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    i don't especially like drinking coffee

but i fucking love smelling it

when we were at edinburgh zoo we came across a box full of 'lift the lid and smell inside' things

it was supposed to be how a koala forages for eucalyptus with its enormous weird nose

one of them was smelly socks and it just smelled like rotten cheese

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    only good part of working at a grocery store is when you get a chance to walk through the coffee aisle

i work in the skincare section of a large drugstore right next to the perfume cabinets so i always end my shift smelling like a lady

• NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    I like the smell of a newly opened box of tea

the smell of snow can make me ecstatic

can't stand the smell of bleach, but I guess that's normal

• ReginaldReginald When I am Pres., I will create the Department of ______Registered User regular
    I really enjoy picking leaves off of trees and shrubs, crushing them in my hands, and smelling the nice smells. There is some sage that grows around here that smells so nice.

I really dislike smells in malls. I don't think I could ever step foot in a Bath and Body Works, the smell is so strong it permeates 100ft out of the store. Malls are so over the top in regards to smells.

snow has a kind of fresh, metallic smell

opening a video game or dvd for the first time and smelling the pressed disc and manual

ross I had no idea you lived near a sewage plant

• DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    I like asphalt after rain and the smell of cold

0BnD8l3.gif
  • OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Off the end of the internet, just turn left.Registered User, ClubPA regular

Raw tobacco is like that, lovely smell but hate the smell of cigarette smoke.

orthanc
    Orthanc wrote: »

Raw tobacco is like that, lovely smell but hate the smell of cigarette smoke.

Yeah definitely

Nerdgasmic wrote: »

why would i make free with this knowledge

cherry tobacco smells delicious

i hate the smell of regular cigarettes

• ReginaldReginald When I am Pres., I will create the Department of ______Registered User regular
    sometimes i am impressed by fart smells. i wouldn't say i enjoy it, just that i am impressed.

there was a binturong at the zoo

its scent is exactly the same as buttered popcorn jelly beans

so nice

• Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    I like how gasoline smells.

Also armpits if I'm horny.

I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
    Reginald wrote: »
    sometimes i am impressed by fart smells. i wouldn't say i enjoy it, just that i am impressed.

one of my classmates in school was addicted to the smell of peoples farts

it was weird

Beasteh wrote: »
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »

why would i make free with this knowledge

to hear all the jokes you would be ripe for

the star nosed mole can detect if something is edible by smelling it and immediately eat it with the fastest reaction time of any creature

Its brain decides in the ultra short time of 8 ms if a prey is edible or not. This speed is at the limit of the speed of neurons. These moles also possess the ability to smell underwater, accomplished by exhaling air bubbles onto objects or scent trails and then inhaling the bubbles to carry scents back through the nose.

• PersonfacePersonface HAIL GAY SATANRegistered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »
    Its brain decides in the ultra short time of 8 ms if a prey is edible or not. This speed is at the limit of the speed of neurons. These moles also possess the ability to smell underwater, accomplished by exhaling air bubbles onto objects or scent trails and then inhaling the bubbles to carry scents back through the nose.

this reads like a pokédex entry

Considering smells are such a big part of an experience, why hasn't smellovision taken off? We have the technology!

• A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    I currently work in a hospital laundry. I think my sense of smell is 85% gone at this point.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    my favorite smell is freshbaked chocolate chip cookies. I had bodywash that smelled like that from philosophy and had to stop myself from chugging the bottle whenever I showered.

rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Considering smells are such a big part of an experience, why hasn't smellovision taken off? We have the technology!

fart joke lobbyists

PNk1Ml4.png

If we actually had the technology then it would.

orthanc
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I once spent about 14 hours in knee to waist deep sewage with no protective equipment.

That was a smell.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    my bathroom currently contains lime bodywash and passion fruit shampoo

edited August 2012
    I currently work in a hospital laundry. I think my sense of smell is 85% gone at this point.

yeah the hospital will kill your sense of smell.

this one woman had a venous ulcer that got infected, it was about the size of a silver dollar, was green, and went all the way to the bone. It smelled fantastic.

TheStig on
    i love the smelltaste of fresh milk

particularly the aftertaste

how often would you even want to smell what you're seeing on TV

I don't want my living room to smell like dirt, mud, sweat, gasoline, the woods, wild animals, sewage, blood, or really most other things

like unless the characters are sitting down to a big dinner or doing laundry i wouldn't want to smell what they're doing

• A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »

yeah the hospital will kill your sense of smell.

Fun facts. Chemo patient piss is a terrible terrible smell, but is eclipsed by the mightiest of all hospital odors. Pus.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
    ESPN! Now with smell!

Oh wow, doing a little research actually brings up that smellovision is being introduced into 200 US theatres sometime next year.

tomsguide.com/us/4D-movies-CJ-Group-american-theaters-smell-ouch,news-15823.html