As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MHR][IRC] Burn Your Dread and Face Your True self: Persona Secunda - It Has Begun.

21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short![They/Them]Registered User regular
edited September 2012 in Critical Failures
YC97r.png
We have not even to risk the adventure alone, for the heroes of all time have gone before us — the labyrinth is thoroughly known. We have only to follow the thread of the hero path, and where we had thought to find an abomination, we shall find a god; where we had thought to slay another, we shall slay ourselves; where we had thought to travel outward, we shall come to the center of our own existence. And where we had thought to be alone, we shall be with all the world.
~Joseph Campbell, The Power of Myth

Basic Specs
What System?: The Marvel Heroic Roleplaying system.
What Medium?: The game will be played over IRC.
How many players?: I'm looking for 3 to 5 players.
When will this be played?: Wednesdays at 8PM EDT.
What's the Tone?: Dark Urban Fantasy.

What is Persona?
Persona is a spin-off series of the Shin Megami Tensei series of Japanese Video Game RPGs. Simply put, the Persona Series is set in modern-day japan and features high school students solving mysteries using a supernatural power known as a Persona, usually in the form of mythological creatures. Tarot, mythology and western spirituality usually make up a large part of the setting, even though the games are set in modern-day Japan. The most well-known games are the latest two, Persona 3 and Persona 4 and these are, in fact, the only ones I've played, so I'm basing this more on them than the first 3. If you've never played Persona games before, don't worry, it's not necessary to have played them to understand my game, since I'll be taking a lot of liberties. Just remember the key points of persona are Western Spirituality and Mythology. Think American Gods, if you've read the book, think normal people having a second, supernatural persona (conveniently called a Persona), which they use to solve supernatural problems.

What is Persona Secunda going to be like, then?
Persona Secunda will be set in a fictional city on the Eastern Seaboard, and feature flawed people who will be endowed with supernatural abilities. This will not feature high school student. So you can be college-aged, adults, old, the world's your oyster, but this won't be with kids. One of the big themes will be personal growth and development, the idea that flawed people can become better over time as they go through ordeals. So if you were afraid this was gonna be, well, filled with anime qualities, rejoice, this is going to be closer to American Gods. The tone will be dark urban fantasy, the main plot thread will probably involve serial murders and other such mysteries. A hefty dose of supernatural will of course be present. Though this will use the Marvel Heroic Roleplaying system, don't think you'll be superheroes, you'll be normal people who can affect the supernatural. So, in a nutshell? Persona, except American and grown-up.

How is the game going to be played?
As mentioned above, this will be played over IRC and there will be some slight changes to the system to make it fit the game a bit better.
Every character's power set will be their persona and the limit for it will have to include: "Persona: [Persona] may not be used outside the Dark Hour, if Stressed out, asleep or unconscious."
Specialties, much like power traits, are gonna be toned down to be more in line with regular people. So you can pick from Professional (D8) and Expert (D10) for specialties. Additionally, the Cosmic and Mystic specialties are not available, but Investigation and The Occult are. If you want a specialty that's not listed in the book and it makes sense, just use it. I'm not picky.

I want to sign up and join the group, what do I do?
it's simple, just post two things: !sign up and when you're free to play this. Keep in mind i live in the Eastern Timezone, in Canada. So be sure to mention your timezone so that I may sort this out.
Also, you can start thinking about your character, but don't start thinking about your persona too much, I'll do a thing during the first session, it'll be fun and it'll help you come up with one. If you're dead set, though, you can start thinking about your own persona, but I'll give more info after the first session for Character creation.

I have questions/comments!
Be sure to post, then. It's my first time using the MHR system, my second time running a game and my third time playing a tabletop RPG, so I'm certainly a newbie to the genre here. If you have suggestions, comments, questions, I'll be sure to listen and answer. I'm not afraid of being told I'm wrong. If, for example, you think my approach here isn't the right one, please speak up.

Also, there's an Obsidian Portal page for this campaign.

This post is subject to changes. Be sure to check it once in a while.

21stCentury on

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Players and Characters

@jdarksun: John Darling
    Stress Tracks: d4 |d6 |d8 |d10|d12|out
         Physical: [ ]|[ ]|[ ]|[ ]|[ ]|[ ]
           Mental: [ ]|[ ]|[ ]|[ ]|[ ]|[ ]
        Emotional: [ ]|[ ]|[ ]|[ ]|[ ]|[ ]

XP: 6           PP: 7          Truths: 0

ACTIVE MILESTONES

Bonds of people is the true power

Save the Bystander

@The Anonymous: Scott Solder

XP: 5           PP: 3          Truths: 0

ACTIVE MILESTONES

Hunter of Shadows

Save the Bystander

@Egos: Aiden Sen
         Physical: [X]|[ ]|[ ]|[ ]|[ ]|[ ]
        Emotional: [ ]|[ ]|[ ]|[X]|[ ]|[ ]

XP: 9           PP: 6          Truths: 1

ACTIVE MILESTONES

Hunter of Shadows

Save the Bystander

@Vagrant_Winds: Alexis Einhardt

XP: 0           PP: 4          Truths: 0

ACTIVE MILESTONES

Hunter of Shadows

Learning to Trust Again

21stCentury on
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    [post reserved for stuff]

• CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012

I'm good Monday through Friday from 6 PM (CST) onward, as long as I have notice and can plan around it.

EDIT: Weekends are ok too.

Capfalcon on
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    PER-SO-NA!

I'm working afternoons middle eastern time seven days a week which thanks to timezones means all my USA-evenings are free. I'd just have to adjust my sleep schedule.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Also, you should totally play the Persona 2 games. You know, especially considering Persona 2: EP (aka P2-2) is an all-adult cast.

Isn't P2:EP only going to be for PSP (or was it PS Vita?) Thanks for the suggestion, though, I'll have to look into them.

Persona 2: IS is only out for the PSP(+Vita) in the west. Persona 2: EP, the sequel, is only out on PS1 in the west but hopefully the recent PSP remake will get localized. Both contain Persona 1 references as well and returning party members (two of EP's playable cast are adult versions of P1 characters)

Game questions: Can you give examples of the 'competency' levels of the Professional (D8) and Expert (D10) specialties/skills as well of the list of what you have in the game?

It's simple. Professional means the player could have a career in that specialty. He/She wouldn't be the best there is, but is certainly proficient enough in it. Expert is, just like in the book, Experts are a cut above that and are particularly proficient at it.

For example, Professional Business means someone who can work in the business world, a young trader, a new salesman, a manager. Expert Business means someone with years of experience, deep knowledge, someone
    who has spent years selling, buying, or trading.

To be entirely honest, I don't think we need to have particularly precise sets of benchmarks. Think of it as Professional being what your character Can do well and Expert being what your character is great at, has the most experience in. So having "Professional-level Investigative skills" doesn't mean you're a detective, but that you could be one if you set your sights on it.

But don't spend too much time thinking about if it makes sense that your character has several specialties, this is gonna need maybe a bit more suspension of disbelief than the magic, ;).

Is the list (what's in the book) + Investigation and The Occult?

The list is The book, - Cosmic and Mystic + Investigation and The Occult + Anything that you think fits for your character, if it's not on the list.

i'm not particularly picky and the system seems robust enough to have a few other specialties.

It's really because I'm assuming there's a lot of specialties people would like to have but i haven't thought of.

• EgosEgos Registered User regular
    so would the characters have specialties while the persona has the power sets?

Yes, that's exactly how it will work. The Power set will be your persona, whereas the rest (Specialties, Affiliation, Milestones) will be your character proper.

Of course, to smooth things over, it's okay for every character to know some form of combat, or proficiency with a weapon. After all, if some high school kids don't have a problem using swords and bows and guns to fight shadows, I don't see why you would need to.

edited September 2012
    I guess I'm interested, though it would ultimately depend on the time we decide on.

For our persona are we basically following the rules in the book "just don't do something that is gonna make all the other players go* :evil: ?" or are you gonna have set rules for creation (perhaps different arrays to choose from that seem roughly even) ?

*= a number of powers having a value of d12

Egos on
    i'm gonna give a few basic guidelines. The first session is going to be basically character creation, because I find it to be nice when done as a team.

Also, when are you free, Egos?

edited September 2012
    I generally prefer later nights (that is to say I'm more of a nightowl, but I can probably manage more 8/9 CST) . Anytime then can work for me.

Egos on
    Hmm, that's a bit later than I planned. I was planning on something like Fridays starting at 7 or 8 EST, which is one hour earlier in Central Time, i believe... So, it'd be closer to 7 CST, is that just too early for you?

7PM EST... so that would be 3AM for me. Can do.

I would wonder if it's not a bit early for you, but you're up now, so i guess not.

are there any others days besides friday or are friday+saturday the only options?

The days i could make it are Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays. i think i'll put that in the OP, in fact.

• CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    I'd prefer not Saturday, but all the others sound fine.

edited September 2012
    Before it just said Saturday and Friday. You said you could probably do other days (it wasn't specific) ;-)

Monday and Wednesday work fine with me. Not sure if that is ok with VW

Egos on
    Is it a day that ends in Y? Yeah, it's good for the next two months at the very least.

so few follow-ups

1) any chance of Igor and an assistant showing up :D ? Or will we have to wait and see ?

2) will you decide our personas for us based on our character's actions and personality or will we pick it out over time? If you've decided

This is set in a different geographical area, so you'll be getting a different person and a different Velvet Room.

The Personae will be entirely made by you guys during character creation, but i have a series of tables to help you come up with one, if you want.

• The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    !Fashionably late as always

I'm normally around 12pm-12am AEST, but I'm flexible and can be around earlier if necessary.

edited September 2012
    AEST, that's Australia, right?

Edit: If my calculations are correct, it's too late for the game, Hrmmm. You were in the timezone last year, right? It would be more or less the same times, just earlier in the week.

21stCentury on
    Yeah, still in the same timezone as before. And as I said I can get on earlier, that's just when I've usually been around as of late.

According to my calculations, games would start around 9 or 10 PM. On Thursdays for you. is that too early?

No, that should be fine.

Well, seems like we have a potential 5 players already. Just waiting for confirmation from jdarksun to make sure the Wednesday 7PM(or 8PM) EDT works for everyone and I guess we could have the first session, for character creation next Wednesday...

:) This is gonna be great. Even better than last year!

Will you decide our tarot card for us :D ?

edited September 2012
    Let's leave some things mysterious, shall we? ;)

21stCentury on
    Are shadow hunting robot girls on the table?

I honestly think the robot girls are silly and don't fit at all in the setting.

How about shadow fighting dogs? And Teddy?

Because Teddy is the best.

Capfalcon wrote: »

How about shadow fighting dogs? And Teddy?

Because Teddy is the best.

Those are also rather silly. The tone is going to be darker, so silly stuff might not fit in very well.

Though i must agree that Teddie is very entertaining a character.

edited September 2012
    what about a disenfranchised mascot ?

:rotate:
    I would not be playing this

Egos on