As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[STEAM GREENLIGHT] New rules added, check the OP

• Options
    Fashionist PigFashionist Pig Registered User regular
    They really need to do SOME type of adjusting, I'm partial to Project Zomboid myself but having it at 11% already is pushing it. Then again that's probably changed since last I checked.

• Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    Routine looks fucking sweet.

PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    Just got a pretty rad comment on the game
    I would like to know if my ball can use hemisphere-high walls for cover, and if i will have a gruffty voiced sargeant ball helpfully telling me how to solve puzzles and also kicking open doors for me. I see a worrying lack of 'follow' signs and waymarkers in those screenshots, and instead there are beautifully colourful, apparently open landscapes and intriguing conundrums. I appreciate this is early build but it would be nice to have some beige middle eastern settings there too, to balance all the vibrancy.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    LaCabra wrote: »
    What the hell, InFlux was on 1% and now it's down to 0 again.

I mean I know it doesn't mean anything until they've sorted out how many votes you need but there goes my arbitrary measure of success
    I'm seeing it with 1%. Although, maybe it just got more votes and reached the new 1%.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Its my understanding the votes needed percentage will fluctuate depending on a number of factors.
    1. The amount of overall games on steam greenlight. As new games get added, the % already achieved will go down.

2. The amount of unique visits a game page gets and three number of those that up vote it against those that down vote it.

3. How many babies you sacrifice.

• Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    Wasn't there some controversy over the remake? Or am I thinking of Cave Story's remake?
    I remember there being some animosity over Cave Story+ being 3D or some such nonsense.

The deal with La-Mulana was that it was originally slated to release on WiiWare for the longest time before the publisher, Nicilas (who also did the Cave Story WiiWare port), decided to bug out and cancel it without developer Nigoro's knowledge, leading to Playism taking up the publishing duty for the PC version that was recently released. It'll finally release on WiiWare after all under another publisher soon. But yeah, La-Mulana deserves all the attention it can get, and distributing on Steam would likely see its revenue increase tenfold.

• Options
    Already got some guy wanting a percentage of my future Steam sales to promote my Greenlight on his Steam group. Big group, but fuck that.

• Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    Already got some guy wanting a percentage of my future Steam sales to promote my Greenlight on his Steam group. Big group, but fuck that.

That group should be removed :/

What also comes to my mind...it'd be possible for a big enough group to demand money from devs, less they downvote their game

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I highly doubt downvoting does anything, to be honest.

Or at least, downvoting is likely no different from not voting at all, aside from removing it from your page.

Not only does it not make sense to determine whether something becomes available for sale based on who dislikes it, but that it is worded in such a way to suggest that the only thing that matters is accruing enough interest from a large percentage of the participating people. Suggesting that only thumbs up affect it in any way.

It's also for this reason that I don't think you should feel bad about downvoting games you're not interested in.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    "That's a nice game you've got there, friend. It'd be an awful shame if something were to happen to its rating..."

• Options
    If he's coordinating a large group to the point where trying an extortion scheme out of downvotes would be feasible, he could also just subsitute the downvotes for negative comments.

I'm not the only one who thinks that's scummy as fuck though, right? "Give me an ongoing piece of your prospective pie and I'll spread the word like everybody else on the internet is doing for free"

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    What the hell, InFlux was on 1% and now it's down to 0 again.

I mean I know it doesn't mean anything until they've sorted out how many votes you need but there goes my arbitrary measure of success

This is why I want a page with multiple progress bars so I can track this.

• Options
    It went up to 1 again a while later but I don't know if it's back the way it was or if we just hit a new threshold for 1%

• Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Am I the only one concerned that so many of the games I'm voting for aren't hitting even ten percent?

Or am I worried over nothing since this is more valve testing the waters and they'll make the required ratings a much more attainable goal in the future?

EDIT: Also here's some other projects that look great.

Syder Arcade - If you like shmups, look at this!
    Escape Goat - This was on one of the indie bundles and from what I heard it's pretty good.
    Oniken - An NES style game that combines Contra, Strider, and Fist of the North Star together.
    The Intruder - Survival Horror game where you have to prepare yourself for a supernatural entity that will invade your home.
    Children of Liberty - Animated 2d stealth action game set during the American revolution.
    DLC Quest - Platformer where you have to collect coins to unlock abilities like DLC starting with just jumping.
    McPixel - A pixelized parody of MacGyver with an incredibly raunchy and irreverent sense of humor.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Yeah, the search function is pretty bad right now. Searching for Worlds requires sifting through pages of crap to find its entry, for instance.

Can't you use the links we're providing?

Also: Kenshi, in the OP. And Towns. And Forge.

• Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    Neocolonialism looks pretty interesting. It's a turn-based game where you play as a ruthless capitalist that buys bonds, influences policy in impoverished regions, and basically tries to make as much cash as possible no matter what. It's currently in alpha and can be downloaded for free on the developer's website.

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Folk Tale looks like it has some serious potential. Nicer graphics than most of the Greenlight stuff.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    If he's coordinating a large group to the point where trying an extortion scheme out of downvotes would be feasible, he could also just subsitute the downvotes for negative comments.

I'm not the only one who thinks that's scummy as fuck though, right? "Give me an ongoing piece of your prospective pie and I'll spread the word like everybody else on the internet is doing for free"

Might be worth it to try to report them to Steam somehow. That's beyond shady and ruins the whole point of the service.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Neocolonialism looks pretty interesting. It's a turn-based game where you play as a ruthless capitalist that buys bonds, influences policy in impoverished regions, and basically tries to make as much cash as possible no matter what. It's currently in alpha and can be downloaded for free on the developer's website.
    Unfortunately, judging from the comments, a number of people are not voting for it because... the map is upside down :(

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    fables429fables429 Awesome Registered User regular
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Incredipede

Watch the entire video to see some of the higher end stuff you can do with her.

• Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    Incredipede

Watch the entire video to see some of the higher end stuff you can do with her.

Amazing what you can do with 2-d these days. Gameplay looks neat/ possibly very frustrating.

I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    I haven't seen Contrast mentioned yet; Let me fix that: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92921128&searchtext=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88HXA5x_J2g&feature=player_embedded
    About Contrast
    Experience a surreal 1920s dreamscape in which you can shift freely in and out of shadow. Tasked with helping a young girl named Didi, you will unravel the mysteries behind her troubled family and the dark secrets that must be exposed to re-shape her future.

Genre
    Puzzle-Platformer, Puzzle-Adventure, Indie, Casual, Mystery

Key Features
    • Create unique shadow landscapes by manipulating light sources
    • Use your ability to shift into shadows to solve mind-bending puzzles
    • Immerse yourself in a lush Vaudevillian world of cabaret singers, circus performers, and illusionists
    • Novel mechanics combine with fascinating landscapes to challenge your creativity & imagination
    • Your choices directly impact Didi's future; your light reveals what stories remain in shadow

“The interaction is stellar” – IGN
    “Compulsion’s adventure mixes Braid, Bioshock and Portal” – GamesRadar
    “It’s a place I’d love to explore on my vacation.” – Bitmob

I guess I might be interested...

Edit: I will be very disapointed if I don't get to play this.

Edit: How the Shadow Mechanics Work
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmDngKQnTF8

BrocksMullet on

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular

Report the fuck out of them. Have you considered going to the press on this as well? This would be one of those things they'd love to report

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    darunia106 wrote: »
    Am I the only one concerned that so many of the games I'm voting for aren't hitting even ten percent?

Or am I worried over nothing since this is more valve testing the waters and they'll make the required ratings a much more attainable goal in the future?

EDIT: Also here's some other projects that look great.

Syder Arcade - If you like shmups, look at this!
    Escape Goat - This was on one of the indie bundles and from what I heard it's pretty good.
    Oniken - An NES style game that combines Contra, Strider, and Fist of the North Star together.
    The Intruder - Survival Horror game where you have to prepare yourself for a supernatural entity that will invade your home.
    Children of Liberty - Animated 2d stealth action game set during the American revolution.
    DLC Quest - Platformer where you have to collect coins to unlock abilities like DLC starting with just jumping.
    McPixel - A pixelized parody of MacGyver with an incredibly raunchy and irreverent sense of humor.

Oh my god, Oniken and Syder Arcade look amazing! Escape Goat is fun as hell, I hope he puts up Soulcaster 1 and 2 as well. Speaking of, if anyone wants to, they can download the soundtracks for Escape Goat and both Soulcasters right here for however much money you want (including free)

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Greenlight comments are quickly joining YouTube comments in my "don't read unless you want to kill yourself" category. Take this one from Oniken:
    Pure bullshit. Nostalgic money-making by lazy-shit programmers that don't know how to 3d model or how to make a true game. Fuck off, i'm brazilian too, but i'm not idiot. Make a game if you have VERY GOOD SPRITE ANIMATING, BETTER COLORS, AWESOME OVERALL OF THE GAME. No. You're not going to make money with MY NOSTALGIA. Get out of my GREENLIGHT. Make a game if you have something to add to the gameplay/graphics/other games. Stop being lazy-asses getting money with "indie", "hipsters" and "ima hurr durr retro gamer"

THESE PEOPLE ARE CHOOSING WHICH GAMES YOU GET TO BUY ON STEAM

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    What games are at 10%? Project Zomboid? There are so many awesome game I'm never going to get to play. Yeassh.

BrocksMullet on

• Options
    plufim wrote: »

Report the fuck out of them. Have you considered going to the press on this as well? This would be one of those things they'd love to report
    I mailed it to Gabe, I expect he'll forward it to whoever's job it actually is

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Contrast looks interesting. Gave it a thumps up.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »

Me too. One of the few I did.

Is it rude to thumbs-down a game if the description has bad grammar? For example, one game had "1980's".

• Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    Plot twist: It is Gabe.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    This looks fantastic. Be a knightly washing machine.

Legend of the Knightwasher

• Options
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    This looks fantastic. Be a knightly washing machine.

Legend of the Knightwasher

Neat. Like everything else I want, it's at 1 or 2 percent.

• Options
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Peewi wrote: »

Me too. One of the few I did.

Is it rude to thumbs-down a game if the description has bad grammar? For example, one game had "1980's".

I don't know about rude, they don't know why you gave it a thumbs down, but it does seem like a small thing in the scheme of things. For me, it's not an exam, it's a simple question: Do you want to see this game on Steam? My motives are very selfish; it kills me that so many of these games won't get a chance.

Also: That mistake looks like one I would make. 1980s looks wrong to me, for some reason.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I take it a step further than "do I want to see it on Steam", because that seems unimportant compared to "Would I buy this game on Steam"

If I would I thumbs up, if I wouldn't I thumbs down.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Placeholder mistake, not finished

BrocksMullet on

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    I'd like to bring attention to one of my personal favorite metroidvanias, now up on steam greenlight.

Bunny must die/Chelsea and the Seven Devils Developed by Platine Dispositif, and localized and published by Rockin' android.

Like I said, it's probably one of my favorite metroidvania type games. Would be great if it could get on steam.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Afterfall: InSanity is a fun survival horror game that's kind of odd and has some Eastern European developer jankiness but worth playing.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Got an official response on downvoting:
    Down votes do not nullify up votes. That bar is not the progress bar towards acceptance. It is to show the developer the ratio of up votes to down votes. We've removed it since it hasn't proved to be useful data thus far.

• Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    That's what I suspected, though I am a bit surprised that the bar wasn't a progress bar. It makes sense though given that the numbers aren't yet set in stone.
    captaink wrote: »
    That's what I suspected, though I am a bit surprised that the bar wasn't a progress bar. It makes sense though given that the numbers aren't yet set in stone.

That was in response to this picture:
    e89cN.png
    Ah, you meant that one. Yeah, I fully understand it then.

The Anonymous on