As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

WordPress Themes

Penguin_OtakuPenguin_Otaku Registered User regular
edited August 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
So I'm building a portfolio for my video and graphic work I've done over the year and decided it'd also be a good time (per a lot of suggestions from you guys) to learn to customize WordPress.

Thing is I've never really dabbled in PHP so a lot of it is foreign to me.

What and where I think things should go is just not the case.

I've been tinkering with a basic "blank" style I found in WordPress themes.

I've got the basics so far, but I'm less concerned about making it super dynamic at the moment.

I really want a simple layout. Header, left sidebar, content, footer. And I want the links to be in the left sidebar (which isn't common in most layouts I'm noticed so far) and they're image links, not just text links.

But for the life of me, I can't figure out how to skin it to make it just the links. I'm not really concerned about being able to categorize posts at the moment.

Anyway, any help you guys can provide would be splendid.

Thanks in advance.

sig-1.jpg
Penguin_Otaku on

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    If that's all you are wanting I can give you some pointers for fixing the default template, although the best way to use wordpress is to create a child theme. I won't go into detail (it's boring) but google "Creating child themes in wordpress" and make one for your default theme. That way you change the child theme, and when the default theme gets an update (it regularly does) the update won't kill all of your custom code.

Second, for an art site, use NextGen image gallery. It's a free plugin and it works well for what you want to do.

Let me know if you have more questions.

are YOU on the beer list?