As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

City of Heroes or Villains or Rogues

MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
edited July 2019 in MMO Extravaganza
You may discuss City of Heroes and whatever, but do not discuss private servers or how to access them.

Old OP:
http://na.cityofheroes.com/en/news/news_archive/thank_you.php
Farewell, from all of us at Paragon Studios
This morning we announced that Paragon Studios will be taking to the skies of City of Heroes for the last time.

In a realignment of company focus and publishing support, NCsoft has made the decision to close Paragon Studios. Effective immediately, all development on City of Heroes will cease and we will begin preparations to sunset the world's first, and best, Super Hero MMORPG before the end of the year. As part of this, all recurring subscription billing and Paragon Market purchasing will be discontinued effective immediately. We will have more information regarding a detailed timeline for the cessation of services and what you can expect in game in the coming weeks.

The team here at Paragon deserves special praise for all that we have accomplished over the last 5+ years. These developers are some of the most creative and talented people in the gaming industry. By now, we've all been given this news internally, but to anyone who may be reading this message after the fact; know that your hard work and dedication has not gone unappreciated or unnoticed. To any potential studios looking to grow your team; hire these people. You won't regret it.

To our Community,

Thank you. Thank you for your years of support. You've been with us every step of the way, sharing in our challenges, encouraging us to make City of Heroes better, more than everyone else thought it could be. We couldn't have come this far without you. I implore you all, focus on the good things of CoH and Paragon Studios. Don't dwell on the "how" or the "why", but rather join us in celebrating the legacy of an amazing partnership between the players and the development team.

Thank you, and I'll see you in the skies, one last time.

Andy Belford

Community Manager

Paragon Studios.

So it seems F2P wasn't enough to save City of Heroes.

I'm a bit upset by this. I don't play much anymore but I still love all my characters and buy costume bits for them all the time.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
Sterica on

• MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    My initial guess is either they were less profitable than I thought, or NCsoft is developing a competing product.

• WeX MajorsWeX Majors 8th Floor, MegashipRegistered User regular
    Like I said in Alt-Universe Thread, it looks like it's totally the fault of NCSoft losing 6 million for the last quarter
    http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/08/08/ncsoft-weathers-6m-loss-in-q2/
    The downside of course is, this is hurting their most active game that doesn't have "Guild" in the title.
    It also seems like no one but the company knew this, as the game has constantly been leaking things its been working on. i24 was scheduled to hit any week now.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I had no idea that City of Heroes was doing poorly. I assumed the free-to-play move was just a way to boost income.

YL9WnCY.png
    I had sort of suspected the COX profit margins were somewhat thin, (but clearly big enough to develop new issues), but this is just disheartening.

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    This literally makes no sense to me. Why would Paragon have been developing content at a faster clip than ever before if they were, or even suspected they were, running in the red? Why not just gear down to go into a protracted sunset period like a dozen other MMOs before them? This sounds like a decision that had nothing to do with the game's performance.

rRwz9.gif
    I am about 95% convinced that CoX was in no way a financial drain on them.
    Yet another article about NCSoft's recent quarter
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-08-08-ncsoft-makes-q2-loss-amid-spiralling-costs

Heroes isn't listed as being Yet Another Factor, which I think is important.
    This means that there's something else NC wants from Paragon that they can't get while Heroes is running.

edited August 2012
    @Raz apparently they weren't doing so hot, but F2P actually saved them.

@Jacob I tend to agree. Something else happened here because this decision makes no sense.

I went to both of the player summits they had recently here in the Bay Area, and they were all super excited to show off new content and get player feedback. These were people working their asses off to keep the game fresh.

I bought all sorts of stuff on the store.

MuddBudd on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    This literally makes no sense to me. Why would Paragon have been developing content at a faster clip than ever before if they were, or even suspected they were, running in the red? Why not just gear down to go into a protracted sunset period like a dozen other MMOs before them? This sounds like a decision that had nothing to do with the game's performance.

I'm think it wasn't a Paragon Studios decision. Likely it was an NCSoft decision. So that we have some figures to work with, it looks like CoX brought in ~2,500,000 million dollars in revenue. Depending on their costs, it's quite possible that it was profitable but perhaps not very profitable. I'd have to really dig back but if their massive turnaround brought it from not profitable to slightly profitable it's possible they figure it may reverse again and lose money.

http://view.koreaherald.com/kh/view.php?ud=20120808001105&cpv=0

• TremblayTremblay Registered User regular
    Maaaan... I've been a casual CoX player for quite a while... I never really stopped playing it and I probably bought about $60 worth of points since it went Free to Play...

If Everquest (the first one) and Dark Ages of Camelot are still up, why not CoX? Hopefully another company will buy CoX/Paragon Studios... it's more successful than many other F2P MMOs as far as I know...

I liked the F2P stuff so much I resubbed, just for the points and monthly tokens.

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Even though I left the game quite some time ago (in disgust I might add, over defender AT issues) this announcement makes me sad. Poor Tom Quantum will never hit level cap in that game.

Jeez I never have either. I plan to hit level cap before it shuts down. I HAVE to.

• Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    FUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKK!!! Dammit, son of a bitch! Why is this closing down while shit like Champions Online stays open!?

*sigh*

Well, there goes my favorite F2P MMO. Goodbye Baron Crimson, you were my most awesome character and villain ever. Goodbye Mister Meltdown. Goodbye Wight Rider, the best hero character I had, bless your cowboy-zombie heart.

:(

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Andy Belford sounded familiar.

His previous gig?

Warhammer Online

The dude cannot catch a break.

YL9WnCY.png
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    What the fuck

They had content announced and in development for like the next three months

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    What the fuck

They had content announced and in development for like the next three months

It's likely Paragon Studios didn't know or were hoping for a reprieve.

• Chomp-ChompChomp-Chomp Shonen Princess Registered User regular
    Well DAMN.

So many fond memories from this game! First game I ever succeeded at hitting the level cap in.

Farewell, CoH. May you be resurrected in some other form (Antimatter Earth-2 Prime CoH Crisis).

• Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    This is poop from a butt. If I had a ton of money I'd hire the entire team and let them lose on a new hero based MMO.

• AgahnimAgahnim Registered User regular
    I have to say the CoH dev team was the best I have ever encountered, both in the amount of responses they gave with the community and the amount of intense work they put into satisfying their player base. City of heroes was something unique and the development team was something special. The internet is lessened by the games passing.

God I am actually feeling grief over a videogame.

2.jpg
    3DS FC: 2148-8300-8608 WiiU: AgahnimD
  • Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular
    Aion was a miserable stupidly-expensive money-draining failure so they decide to cut out the little guy who's chugging along but not making massive cash. It's really blatant that they didn't even TELL the devs until today. Maybe yesterday. Ugh. What the hell is this.

I hope somebody else jumps in to save the day, or we get a sequel somehow, or something. But I'm not counting on it. Time to go make a picture log of my characters.

Well, sadly, I am glad I didn't bite for things in their shop

I feel bad for everyone else who did this year

• Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    They're aiming for a Novemeber 30th shutdown.

steam_sig.png
  • EWomEWom Registered User regular
    Damn, I was just thinking about getting back into CoH. It's been my favorite MMO for years, and one I always returned to.

Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    damn, I thought the thread title was a joke. I hardly ever log in anymore either, but it'll be sad not to be able to load up my characters and fly around occasionally.

It seems weird to shut down a game that at least apparently was making money; couldn't they have just spun of paragon and sold it or something?

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I said this in the D&D chat thread, but CoH actually had a big impact on my personal life. I met my (former) fiancee in the game many many years ago, and it's the main way several out-of-town friends and I have kept in touch. Intellectually, I know that sometimes shutdowns happen, but usually it happens to games that have been mummified for years. I am feeling remarkably shitty about this right now.

rRwz9.gif
  • Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    We need to pick a date and just run TFs and other content like crazy.

I will personally be on this weekend if people want to do stuff.

Gear Girl on
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    I said this in the D&D chat thread, but CoH actually had a big impact on my personal life. I met my (former) fiancee in the game many many years ago, and it's the main way several out-of-town friends and I have kept in touch. Intellectually, I know that sometimes shutdowns happen, but usually it happens to games that have been mummified for years. I am feeling remarkably shitty about this right now.

I don't even play much, and I know that GW2 would have kept me from it, but I really do like all my characters.

Its just really sad, and so sudden (and out of the blue)

• DalantiaDalantia Registered User regular
    This is complete bullshit, and I am full of Complete Wrath over this, as someone who spent a lot of time on Cities daily.

COMPLETE. FREAKING. WRATH. I would like to know which silly goose is responsible for this decision, so that I may invoke some time fuckery and remove him from the timeline.

steam_sig.png
    DS Friend code: 3840-6605-3406
  • vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Tis a sad day. I loved, loved CoH. It had issues of course, like any mmo, but I have gotten many, many hours of enjoyment from it over the years.

• NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    We need to get the band back together...

newSig.jpg
    I mean in terms of dollars invested to time received CoX was probably the best gaming choice I ever made

rRwz9.gif
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    It's weird, I effectively abandoned the game a long time ago because I just find the gameplay dull and repetitive, but since it went F2P I'd log in periodically and like, dick around with creating new guys or just admire the characters I'd had forever and liked. It's weird to think they won't be around anymore.

They should set the character creator up to work offline before the thing ultimately goes dark. Charge five bucks or something; I'm sure lots of people would buy it.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • SquiddyBiscuitSquiddyBiscuit Registered User regular
    :(

My first MMO.
    I hope they got a CoH2 in works.

steam_sig.png
  • DalantiaDalantia Registered User regular
    My SG is actually trying to get the group to move together, or at least the core.

steam_sig.png
    DS Friend code: 3840-6605-3406
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    This is really sad. I haven't really played in years, and I've said myself that CoX's time has passed, but by that I meant that it was time for them to be working on a sequel. This seems like a short-sighted move by NCsoft, and I really do hope someone hires Paragon on.

It's been a long time since I've written any RP-type stuff, but I'm feeling like I should write epilogues for my (many) characters now.

Scooter on
  • Temporal ParadoxTemporal Paradox Registered User regular
    Played the hell out of this back when it was new. Sucks to see it go.

• NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    I'm right (write?) there with you Scoot.

Simon "NanKnight" Kiver, Karen "Sol'Knight" Sillia, Pyroactive, even John "Nocren" Turner and Dr. Brute are gonna get a final send off.

Wonder if they'll be an in-game event?

newSig.jpg
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    This sucks so much. I'm just kind of in shock. This is the only MMO I've ever played.

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    From the way people are sounding, it's almost like they're just itching to pull the power cord on those god damn servers.
    I *literally* just made some new characters who had powersets I was finding fun to play.

Like the rest of The Band, I think CoX helped me creatively figure out ways to create a character from scratch, something I've never really been good at. Every character currently made on Virtue has a backstory of some capacity that I could rattle off if someone asked me.
    I guess now I have to actually sit there and write it out.

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    qEsjD.jpg

Shutdown protest going on at City Hall. Good to see that the players are being mature about it. Most of them anyway.