As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

City of Heroes or Villains or Rogues

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    The worst part about the shutdown is that it's just...gone. Hell, that's the worst part of any MMO shutdown. Nobody will ever get to play this again.

I haven't played this in a while, but, I mean, I always kept it updated. It was nice knowing that it was there, and now...ugh. This fucking sucks.

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Yeah, I get what you're saying. With a regular video game you own, you can always fire it up if you have both the game and console in good condition or if worst comes to worst or if the game's very old, emulation. But MMORPGs are dependent on more then just your setup.

• Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    God damn it, i saw this and... i always planned to come back. I always did. I did the beta on COH and came back for COV, remember hanging with Gear Girl, Scooter, Accualt, and Shoe. (There were others but for the life of me right now i cant remember the names)

So many great memories.

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• TremblayTremblay Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Paragon Studios were such a great gang... I think only other MMO dev that seemed as nice was the En Masse people (who manages Tera in North America).

How about crowdfunding to help En Masse take control of CoX and hire some/all Paragon staff?? :D

Tremblay on
  • AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    Loved this back in the day. Not really upset it's being shut down, cause it has certainly aged, but I AM upset it's getting shut down before they made CoX2, or are making.

Honestly I'd say the game, even today, is better than the current competition. It just needed to move on to a new engine.

I still don't quite get the reasoning behind it though. Does it save them on expenses somehow? Everything I'd heard was it was making a profit. A small one, but still, they covered their costs.

• WeX MajorsWeX Majors 8th Floor, MegashipRegistered User regular
    I was going through trying to find the first screenshot I ever took. That led me to realization that I have over *two thousand* screenshots from the 7 years I played this. You guys are in WAY more than I thought.
    That's the thing that disapoints me the most, I met so many awesome people just in *this* tiny little sub section of a tiny sub section of a tiny message board on the internet, and now most of em aren't even around to share in my misery. I better see all of you mother fuckers logged in at some point tonight.

• GhostalkerGhostalker Registered User regular
    WeX Majors wrote: »
    I was going through trying to find the first screenshot I ever took. That led me to realization that I have over *two thousand* screenshots from the 7 years I played this. You guys are in WAY more than I thought.
    That's the thing that disapoints me the most, I met so many awesome people just in *this* tiny little sub section of a tiny sub section of a tiny message board on the internet, and now most of em aren't even around to share in my misery. I better see all of you mother fuckers logged in at some point tonight.

I've got to agree. It was this game that really brought me to this board and the great guys that are on it. I haven't played much in the last few years but I've tried to keep up with folks via Steam and still count a lot of you bastards as my e-buds.

steam_sig.png
  • RobzielRobziel Registered User regular
    Thanks for making a thread for this, I just found out and came to update the old thread. Now I'm going to get drunk on someone else's dime and reminiscence about 7 awesome years. :(

Do I look like the sort of man who'd go and find unsuspecting Japanese schoolgirls in short skirts and white panties and ask them if they want to see my "Cthulu Special"?
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    God damn it.

City Of Heroes was the first MMO I ever played, and remains my absolute favorite. It's also been the only MMO I've kept coming back to, even though I never managed to get a blue-side character to max level. So many alts, so little time.

Despite all the flaws and annoyances, I was expecting it to keep chugging along as a F2P game.

:(

Lawndart on
    Thought I'd post this here and in SE's Video-Game Music thread. Might help bring up some good memories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qcjoOdVHR8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hKPWrX85U8

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    FUCK A COCK UP MY BALLS

• LepwaveLepwave Registered User regular
    R.I.P Fire/kins, may your souls be blessed in farming heaven.

XBL/CoX tags - Lepwave/@Lepwave
    steam_sig.png
  • AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    I had a fire/kin farmer. But then, who didn't?

• TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Given the fact that I've seen games with LESS population and more fuckups (hello Cryptic!), thank god that I avoided to buy Going Rogue. Or GW2.

Fuck you NCSoft, you suck.

TryCatcher on
  • Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    This is really fucking bullshit.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    So I can't even sign up for the last month and see the final content?

• TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/08/31/city-of-heroes-developer-shuts-down
    Both NCsoft and Paragon Studios are incredibly proud of the success of City of Heroes, but unfortunately, the continued support of the franchise no longer fits within our long term goals for the company. All employees at Paragon Studios are affected by this decision, including the management team.

We will begin the City of Heroes sun setting process immediately with the goal to officially stop our service offerings for the franchise on November 30, 2012.

This was a very tough decision to make and wish the best for all Paragon Studio employees in their next ventures.

Emphasis mine.

Presented without comment....because I could get *very* explicit about what I think of the "long term goals of the company".

• AgahnimAgahnim Registered User regular
    Yeah, Zwill's farwell post on the boards mentions that CoX Freedom has been successful and has been making money and increasing the playerbase. Unfortunately NCsoft are rat bastards.

2.jpg
    3DS FC: 2148-8300-8608 WiiU: AgahnimD
  • TremblayTremblay Registered User regular
    Presented without comment....because I could get *very* explicit about what I think of the "long term goals of the company".

This is so sudden... Sounds like NCSoft didn't believe CoX was part of their short term goals either... :-(

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    I said this in the D&D chat thread, but CoH actually had a big impact on my personal life. I met my (former) fiancee in the game many many years ago, and it's the main way several out-of-town friends and I have kept in touch. Intellectually, I know that sometimes shutdowns happen, but usually it happens to games that have been mummified for years. I am feeling remarkably shitty about this right now.

This is the best way to sum up how I feel. CoH was not a fledgling game, it was doing alright. It wasn't making gangbusters, but damn, it was standing tall. I want to know what's happening with the setting. If it wasn't for Paragon Studios being closed, I would have jumped up in excitement about a possible sequel.

I'm really feeling fucked in the head right now. I've played shut-down MMOs before, but this is the first one that I've spent money on and was REALLY into.

• Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Tremblay wrote: »

This is so sudden... Sounds like NCSoft didn't believe CoX was part of their short term goals either... :-(

Knowing what I know of corporate mindsets, it's entirely possible the long term goals of the company actually are short term goals. It's all "will this look good on the next quarterly report" not "will this make us money over the next few years".

Gennenalyse Rueben on
    Not to stir up more disappointment but according to a SA-poster, this is possibly what we might have gotten to play with in the future.
    For the curious, I suppose it can't hurt much anymore. Here's a big list of what I knew about what was coming:

Savage Melee
    Radiation Melee
    Radiation Armor
    Psionic Melee
    Utility Belt, Sorcery, Experimentation, Force of Will, and Gadgetry
    Wind Control
    Wind Blast
    Light Control
    Light Affinity
    Water Control
    Close Quarters Weapons
    Sniper Rifle
    Kinetic Assault
    Light Assault
    Wind Assault
    Magnetic Control
    Magnetic Blast

There was a Winter themed Super Pack with new enhancement sets in it, as well as the ever looming promise of a Primalist shapeshifter archetype.

Several things had been tried in the game, most notably Whips, and how to make them work. There are leftovers of chain whips, leather rope-ish ones, and a few others, with a few broken animations. There were a few different attempts to get them to look natural, and they even have their own "combat stance" in game with Demon Summoning, but the only way it ever worked out was with the firey look.

There are a handful of scraps left referencing Avilians, Blood of the Black Stream, and the Coralax epic ATs, but those had substantially less development time than the Primalist did.

I've been looking through most of this stuff using old software called PiggViewer, for those unaware. It's a little clunky to use (and clunkier to export stuff), but it certainly gets the job done.

So, that's all for now I guess. I'm sure they'll just open the floodgates and answer whatever questions are left at this point. Don't see why not.

They're pretty broken up there much like we are here over the news.

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showthread.php?p=4364359#post4364359

Positron:
    If we still have forum access next week the writers and I will do an "ask us anything" about CoH lore. And we mean ANYTHING lore related. If we not know it we'll make it up on the spot.

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    just...fuck, man

I was playing Guild Wars 2 and all I was thinking was how much "revolutionary" stuff in it and other MMOs kind of keyed off of stuff that City of Heroes did, and then I got to wondering what a City of Heroes 2 would look like, and well, I guess that probably wasn't ever going to happen.

• NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Thought I'd post this here and in SE's Video-Game Music thread. Might help bring up some good memories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qcjoOdVHR8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hKPWrX85U8

I'm gonna throw mine on the pile that I made when the Asia release hit (Youtube says uploaded SIX YEARS AGO).

Not ingame music, but an AMV I made. My first and only one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwNpbikvaOw

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    I hope to fucking god one of the devs leaks the server software to the internet

I'll play CoH on a private server

• NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    I hope to fucking god one of the devs leaks the server software to the internet

I'll play CoH on a private server

I remember coming up with the idea of getting a Gamecube/PC PSO server up and running for PA when that shut down. If this somehow happens, and is kept somewhat decently (no 100x XP, no events every 15 minutes, etc) I'd join a CoX Underground. Fuck, I was there for Uru.... all 3 times it died. I'll be there for City of Heroes.

newSig.jpg
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    I've played Ultima Online on a private server and apparently there's SWG servers out there you can find.

Shit if I could get ahold of the server software I'd fucking run the game myself.

• LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    just...fuck, man

I was playing Guild Wars 2 and all I was thinking was how much "revolutionary" stuff in it and other MMOs kind of keyed off of stuff that City of Heroes did, and then I got to wondering what a City of Heroes 2 would look like, and well, I guess that probably wasn't ever going to happen.

Yeah, it seems like City Of Heroes gets very little credit for the innovative things it brought to the MMO genre, even if some of them seem less innovative now.

Like at launch, when "your only penalty for defeat is a massive pile of XP debt" was trumpeted as the mildest death penalty in MMO history.

Lawndart on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Sidekicking

SIDEKICKING

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    The fact that there are MMO's out there that don't have any form of Sidekicking or Mentoring is a crime against humanity.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

The fact that there are MMO's out there that don't have any form of Sidekicking or Mentoring is a crime against humanity.

The vast majority don't have it. It makes no goddamned sense.

• ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    This sucks. A lot.

I have words, but too many any coherent sense of them.

When I met my husband, he loved this game more than anything in the world. I joined to play with him. My first main was an empath, then a fire/fire blaster. I spent so many hours playing with him on those characters, and finally settled on a SS/WP brute when WP came out and brutes were still villains. Her name was "Oh Shi-". I had that name for 3 years (and so much fun with it) until it was generic'd several months ago because someone had no sense of humor. I left the name Generic in protest (and sulking).

I have more memories of the game over the years than I could possibly recount, and it's one of the best MMOs out there.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    Best community ever, hands down. Every so often I think of the old crew, Team Uber and the much better and way more fun Team Vengeance running about. CoH took up a HUGE chunk of my life and I don't regret that at all. I made good friends and had a blast.

A new guy at work checked in a few months back and we spent a full day talking about City of Heroes after we randomly discovered we each had played. I haven't played in a long time but about a week ago I updated the entire game so I could check it out.

So...sounds like Paragon Studios needs to come up with a plan for a Kickstarter campaign.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    I know, and every one of them should be ashamed.

The number of round about ways they come up with to try to get more people playing together, and here is this glaringly obvious one that has been around forever, and no one wants to use it.

I was watching the Giantbomb quicklook for GW2 and saw that by default it levels you to the appropriate level for content, so it doesn't matter what level you are when you do quests with friends, or pvp; and I went to Amazon right then to buy it.

Of course they're not selling it atm so I couldn't but still.

Come on.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

Well, it levels you down to the content, but doesn't level you up, I don't think. There might be a sidekick system but I'm not sure.

• poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    That's so sad.

If it does become clear that COH was making money but NCSoft shut it down anyway, I will probably stop buying NCSoft games. Hell, I bought lots of content on the basis of 'this game is doing well so it's worth me buying character slots and powersets and so on'

I'm not happy at all with NCSoft.

And COH was my favorite MMO ever.

I figure I could take a bear.
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I was just now out getting comfort food and had these thoughts in my head.

I've been playing this game on a shitty computer. I've had the graphics options forever set low in order to make it run decently. And the load times between zones would take a long ass time, a full minute to sometimes three, depending on how strained my PC was in running things for so long. But damn it, it was worth it. I quit for a time because of this issue, and found myself coming back anyway. And the last time I quit was when I ran a big huge group content (task forces were the multi-team ones right? it was one of those) and the game just gave up on me because of all the player activity. But I wanted it.

I got into the game incidentally because of ceres relating her and her husband's exploits, but mostly because of one detail: "You can make a character who summons zombies and strap bombs to those zombies and have them explode." Somehow I never got around to doing this. I'm one of those alt-crazy types but I would use some shared designs through different characters. But the one character I made that I fell in love with was my Street Justice / Willpower Brute, Vigilante, Civil Disorder. Fucking hell that was fun.

• A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I am truly sorry to see the game go under. I haven't played it in a while, but I never uninstalled it. It really did advance MMO design quite a bit (or at least I feel like it did), and I'm definitely with the crowd that can't believe sidekicking never became a thing. No game it ever going to match the fun and frustration of a permadom. You could go from 100% stomping fun to fucked in like two seconds if you weren't paying attention, but they actually let you break the game open and instead of nerfing it they just changed content design, which I thought was nice.

• Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Count me in the crowd who hasn't played in a while, but is sad to see it go. I've never had as much fun in an MMO as I have CoX. Pretty much all of the PA people (and nearly all the pubs I played with) are awesome and it was always a blast to play alongside everyone. I'm downloading it now and will try to get pictures of my favorite characters. May throw down some sick fireballs and KOs too.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png