As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

City of Heroes or Villains or Rogues

• Options
    TheInspectorTheInspector Registered User regular
    I really miss the brutes in this game. I have had a hard time finding a game that emulates the whole KEEP RUNNING KEEP SMASHING FIND MORE ENEMIES rhythm that CoV had.
    One of my fondest memories of this game was running through an instance as my awesome-looking dark/dark brute. I had reached a sweet spot around level 40 and for some reason I could cut through the enemies like a dark knife through butter. The rest of the group were chasing after me, cheering me on. Another time my gravity/kinetic controller kept a huge mob locked down whilst the rest of the team rezzed and recovered enough to carry on the fight. I've literally not had MMO experiences like those since.

My friend bought me a CoV t-shirt a few weeks ago. It made me sad.

xbox360/WiiU: AnEvilHypnotist
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    The random Rikti invasions for me are my fondest memories.

Air raid sirens going off, everyone in AP gets their game face on and suits up, 50s start calling out as team leaders, buffs start flying, pets get summoned, and all hell breaks loose with the team leaders calling out targets (Bosses/bombs).

Then once it's over, it's back to clear skies, costume contests, gold farming advertisements and bitching about/at Ms Liberty.

That and some of the later writing. Like when I had a character go Vigilante from Hero and see Frost Fire become the hero he wanted to be.

Do miss the time my regen could solo Warburg though and get a bunch of missiles all by himself.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    WeX MajorsWeX Majors 8th Floor, MegashipRegistered User regular
    My favorite part of any of the Invasion Events, was finding out that I was willing to play a videogame even if it was only running at 3 FPS.

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Man. I miss my space lobsters. And my crab.

I played that crab so hard he graduated into unkillable monster territory, so next on my list was the Peacebringer.

Never did get him to max level.

*sniff*

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Jesus McChristJesus McChrist Registered User regular
    When the redside Reichsman TF first went live, and the ambushes were broken so it was just a non-stop stream of enemies constantly pouring into the room.

I waded into the middle of the corridor bottleneck with my Widow and went "I got this, just focus on the boss" and proceeded to just spam all my AoEs well above the aggro cap and melt the enemies 16 at a time or so (I forget what the max was on spin and psychic scream). Enemies got stuck trying to get in and would just waltz right into my spinning widow death machine. That was awesome.

if you can read this i hope you have a good day partner
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    NWK wrote: »
    I often wonder how this thread is still limping on.
    City of Heroes was the first game it have its own dedicated forum. Even before WoW came along, CoH was doing its thing until the Grand Collapse that resulted in this place.

But yeah, CoH has deep roots in the PA community.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
    It is kind of nuts to me that a company closed down a game which had a player base dedicated enough to keep this thread going two fucking years after the game ended.

Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • Options
    ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    two years?

there isn't any word or emoticon that expresses how sad I feel right now.

• Options
    tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
    I was going by the date on the OP, but looking at the wiki article the last day of service was 30 Nov 2012 so yeah, almost two years now.

Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    tarnok wrote: »
    It is kind of nuts to me that a company closed down a game which had a player base dedicated enough to keep this thread going two fucking years after the game ended.
    The thread on SA is also still active.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    It does tickle me that this thread is more active than the CO thread.

I really really wanted to like Champions. I just dove into it head first.

And tried and tried to convince myself I was enjoying it, but, it just didn't work out.

Mainly it actually made me mad that the company didn't seem to really care about the game. Like, I was giving more of a shit about it than they were is how it felt.

That and when I was doing the first series of missions and I was like "Hey who is this guy, HI-Pan? Hahahaha-- oh shit that really is his name."

• Options
    NWKNWK Registered User regular
    It does tickle me that this thread is more active than the CO thread.

I really really wanted to like Champions. I just dove into it head first.

And tried and tried to convince myself I was enjoying it, but, it just didn't work out.

Mainly it actually made me mad that the company didn't seem to really care about the game. Like, I was giving more of a shit about it than they were is how it felt.

That and when I was doing the first series of missions and I was like "Hey who is this guy, HI-Pan? Hahahaha-- oh shit that really is his name."

Yeah, complete with 1950s racist accent. Quite something.

Steam GW2: Silas.5762
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    NWK wrote: »
    I often wonder how this thread is still limping on.
    City of Heroes was the first game it have its own dedicated forum. Even before WoW came along, CoH was doing its thing until the Grand Collapse that resulted in this place.

But yeah, CoH has deep roots in the PA community.

As I said in the beginning, the CoH subforum and the Creepy Stories thread on the old forums are the reason I signed up and started posting

So blame CoH basically for me being here

• Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    This was my favorite MMO. One of the first I ever played (sadly the first was FFXI), and definitely the most fun MMO I've ever played.

I really miss it terribly. I keep the original installer in my downloads folder just for nostalgia.

DarkMecha on
    Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    I'm wearing my City of Villains t-shirt today.

IN MOURNING.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    KiasKias Registered User regular
    One day, I will get a notification that brings me back to this thread and it will finally be something like, "Hey, this new game is a spiritual successor to CoX! Come play!"

And it will all be worth it.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Alkey42Alkey42 Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Miss this game. It was my goto when I was burned out on something else.

Alkey42 on
  • Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    I need to order a new City of Villains shirt. Every time I'm somewhere I might run into an NCSoft representative, at a con or other gaming event, I make sure to have it handy. But it's starting to get too worn out for anything but around-the-house wearing.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    Just learned about an old Beta bug that I found hilarious...

Apparently Hercules war mechs (the kind where two of them will combine into a bigger one), well, back in the day they would attempt to do so with any friendly target.

Including players (when confused).

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Nocren wrote: »
    Just learned about an old Beta bug that I found hilarious...

Apparently Hercules war mechs (the kind where two of them will combine into a bigger one), well, back in the day they would attempt to do so with any friendly target.

Including players (when confused).

That was one of those bugs that kept reappearing later on, actually. Like, they'd tweak something else, then discover that the tweak broke the patch on the Herc Bots again. I remember getting killed by that while beta testing the Tin Mage Task Force. And then we were all so busy looking through the combat logs to try to figure out what the hell had actually happened, that Director 11 was able to completely saturate the warehouse with mines.

Desert Leviathan on
    Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    Those were probably the most bugged enemy type, honestly. There was also that time period where they'd morph and then be invisible and untargetable firing a nonstop missile barrage into your face.

• Options
    Was there any truth to the rumor that two Zeus titans (formed from 2 Hercules titans each) could also merge into a Kronos titan?

Thanks to the Sappers I tended to stay far away from Malta missions.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    I never ever saw that happen even when running +4/x8 Malta solo so that I could have Zeuses running around.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Whenever our group was running Malta missions and there were two Hercules titans in a group everyone would do their damnest to let them combine, because fuck yeah. Many sad faces when they melted in the splash AoE.

• Options
    I played from the get and I never knew that was a thing...

• Options
    Was there any truth to the rumor that two Zeus titans (formed from 2 Hercules titans each) could also merge into a Kronos titan?

Why on earth would you stay away from Malta missions? Super-easy to run through, tons of bonus XP because they were apparently 'hard', and they had some of the coolest bosses in teleporting Gunslingers and the titans.

Oh, right. None of you played Dark Armour, that's why. O:3

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    Kay wrote: »

Why on earth would you stay away from Malta missions? Super-easy to run through, tons of bonus XP because they were apparently 'hard', and they had some of the coolest bosses in teleporting Gunslingers and the titans.

Oh, right. None of you played Dark Armour, that's why. O:3

Dark Blast/Dark Miasma Defender. Just fear their entire mob, drop Darkest Night, then go to town.

Devouring Earth were actually harder because if I managed to let a Quartz pet spawn on +4/x8 it was death.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Didn't like Malta myself. The combination of gunslingers ("your defence is meaningless!") and sappers meant that you either needed to hit them straight up with massive control or -dam&-Hit powers (so basicly controllers or Dark Miasma) or you needed Endurance Drain resistance AND Resistance based armors (Dark armor or Electricity armor).

But the worst was the bloody Carnival of Shadows. Most of them were pretty harmless, but a single Master Illusionist could stop me in my tracks entirely.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    Carnival of Shadows and Malta were the two groups that Dark Armour ate for BREAKFAST.

Honestly, I had no idea why people complained about those two groups so much until I played something that wasn't my Dark Armour scrapper at level 35+.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    Kay wrote: »
    Carnival of Shadows and Malta were the two groups that Dark Armour ate for BREAKFAST.

Honestly, I had no idea why people complained about those two groups so much until I played something that wasn't my Dark Armour* scrapper at level 35+.

*Post DA buffs. This also applies to Dark Miasma.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    SS/shield brute was pretty fun

that and dominators

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Permadom was awesome. Had a Fire/Psi and a Mind/Fire.

• Options
    my wife and I ran dual ill/rads...it felt like I was cheating.

• Options
    My last major "project" build wise was a Titan Weapons/Invuln tanker. That dude was great. Gobbled spirit like it was going out of style, but, his AoE damage was sicknasty and Psi AVs weren't a bother.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Shawnasee wrote: »
    We ran a Corruptor group where everyone had Accelerated Metabolism. It was hilarious.

• Options
    Glal wrote: »
    Shawnasee wrote: »
    We ran a Corruptor group where everyone had Accelerated Metabolism. It was hilarious.
    We even had macros that queued the whistle emote and a local 'SNUGGLE UP, 'RUPTORS!' message.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Accelerated Metabolism was definitely a power that got more and more unbalanced the more people had it. 6 people with accelerated metabolism and it was permanent rapid-fire, fast-running, always-full endurance, extreme damage murderfest.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Gather for Fulcrum Shift

• Options
    They used to organize supergroups made of only one certain powerset, like ill/rads, to see how fast they could level up. We made a couple of ill/rads and leveled to 43 in about 4 hours.
    Everyone was required to take AM. It was amazing. Exactly how Fiendishrabbit describes it.

sigh

• Options
    kafzielkafziel Registered User regular
    Rolling a gang of Soldiers like that was pretty fun, too. Venom Grenades all everywhere, most groups dropped from the alpha. I remember somewhere in the early teens, full team went into a big open-air mission - I think it was Dmitri's - set to either Ruthless or Relentless, and everything was grey by the time we finished.