As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Breaking Bad] --> [Better Call Saul]: The Ballad of Slippin' Jimmy

minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying fieldnjRegistered User regular
edited February 2015 in Debate and/or Discourse
To break bad - when someone has taken a turn off the path of the straight and narrow, when they've gone wrong.

06vrtgallerybb2restrict.jpg

This is the story of Walter White, an overqualified high school chemistry teacher and struggling family man turned meth cooking drug dealer.

Why, you ask?

Because Walt has cancer—lung cancer—and only a short while left to live before he leaves his family with nothing.

More details about the show can be found at Wikipedia, here, or at the show's website, here.

This is the best show on television right now, and we are about to see how it all ends.

Past seasons are currently available on Netflix.

Standard TV show spoiler rules apply in here: Spoiler tags are required for current-season goings-on, anything from past seasons is fair game.

Also:

3sq7tf.jpg

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
minor incident on

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    LaCabra wrote: »
    UEAKCrash wrote: »
    Well, as I caught up on the last few pages, I just got spoiled all to hell on Mad Men, which I am currently in the process of watching.

I'd appreciate some properly labeled spoilers, guys.

It's also impossible to read this thread and not get unexpectedly spoiled on the endings of The Shield and The Sopranos. What the hell guys.

Yep, I believe this thread was the one that spoiled The Shield for me. It was still great to watch, but yeah. Mark those spoilers for other shows, folks.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    We got one episode left before that long dark hiatus. D:

The cliffhanger is going to be a bad one, isn't it?

Oh brilliant
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I would imagine that it's going to be fucking brutal. I don't know of I can handle it. Still dealing with the cliffhanger from the last season of Dexter.

• Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 So Raven Registered User regular
    I have no idea what the cliffhanger will be. The Mike thing has already happened, and at this point I see Hank surviving long enough to see this case through. That leaves Walt and Jesse. Ohhh, Jesse...

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I think that something bad will happen to
    Holly

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    The big question in my mind is how they will get to the cold open from the first ep. I wonder if the cliffhanger will set that process in motion.

• EgosEgos Registered User regular
    So in this last episode
    when Walt was retrieving the bugs? Was that one camera angle that looked like it could have been from the pov from a corner surveillance camera in Hank's Office. Do we think Walt was caught on footage. It's seems sloppy on Walt's side that he wouldn't notice it. But it seemed like an odd shot to include and the timing of it was rather weird.

Egos wrote: »
    So in this last episode
    when Walt was retrieving the bugs? Was that one camera angle that looked like it could have been from the pov from a corner surveillance camera in Hank's Office. Do we think Walt was caught on footage. It's seems sloppy on Walt's side that he wouldn't notice it. But it seemed like an odd shot to include and the timing of it was rather weird.
    Definitely. If Hank didn't know who Heisenberg was before from Gale's mysterious "WW" references, he does now. Everything on BrBa is done deliberately, and that shot would not have been included without specific intention.

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    So in this last episode

I thought that too, but
    having a camera in his office seems weird.

• y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    The big question in my mind is how they will get to the cold open from the first ep. I wonder if the cliffhanger will set that process in motion.

It will be odd, because basically every episode has been a week. Somehow they have to cover 52 in at most 9 episodes

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Yeah, noticed that too! Mentioned it in the SE++ thread, against my better judgement.

Also
    There's a detective movie playing while the cops raid Mike's place, about a cop that has killed himself. Later on, Hank did the gun-to-the-head 'kill me' gesture...

On the potential for Hank knowing, there have been a lot of moments this season with Hank staring off into the distance, like he's playing some vast conspiracy out, to the point where even if they don't use it, there's the potential for them to pull a "Hank has known all season" card. Personally, I think it somehow clicked when he was standing in the burnt out lab. He's just got that look on his face when the old ASAC is talking about how Gus and he were friends.

Oh brilliant
    Yeah, noticed that too! Mentioned it in the SE++ thread, against my better judgement.

Also
    There's a detective movie playing while the cops raid Mike's place, about a cop that has killed himself. Later on, Hank did the gun-to-the-head 'kill me' gesture...

On the potential for Hank knowing, there have been a lot of moments this season with Hank staring off into the distance, like he's playing some vast conspiracy out, to the point where even if they don't use it, there's the potential for them to pull a "Hank has known all season" card. Personally, I think it somehow clicked when he was standing in the burnt out lab. He's just got that look on his face when the old ASAC is talking about how Gus and he were friends.

I don't think Hank knows. If he did it would be trivial to tail Walt. Also, do you really think Hank could keep his cool if he knew Walt was associating with Pinkman.
    Also, why would he talk about the warrant on Mike in front of Walt if he even suspected Walt was involved?

Also

I don't think Hank knows. If he did it would be trivial to tail Walt. Also, do you really think Hank could keep his cool if he knew Walt was associating with Pinkman.
    Also, why would he talk about the warrant on Mike in front of Walt if he even suspected Walt was involved?

BECAUSE. It's all part of his PLAN.
    Yeah, good point.

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
    edited September 2012
    My main reason for doubting that theory is simple: One of Breaking Bad's signature things is weird camera angles. Seriously, pay attention and you'll see that every episode is a cinematographic funhouse. I wouldn't read too much into a camera angle.

In any given episode you'll have fisheye/flyeye shots, bird's eye shots, wide landscapes, worm's-eye shots, under water shots, shots through floors/tables, the Crawl Space shot, etc. BrBa tends to use camera angles to accent moods and themes, not so much to convey plot points.

minor incident on
    My main reason for doubting that theory is simple: One of Breaking Bad's signature things is weird camera angles. Seriously, pay attention and you'll see that every episode is a cinematographic funhouse. I wouldn't read too much into a camera angle.

In any given episode you'll have fisheye/flyeye shots, bird's eye shots, wide landscapes, worm's-eye shots, under water shots, shots through floors/tables, the Crawl Space shot, etc. BrBa tends to use camera angles to accent moods and themes, not so much to convey plot points.

One of the reasons I had some doubts, especially considering how long it spent on that angle. It didn't necessarily seem like the shot was long enough to establish that it was
    "THIS IS A SURVEILLANCE CAMERA LOOKING DOWN ON THEM! "

Also
    Historicallly the show has made it very apparent when the camera was giving a surveillance camera eye view.

• MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular

One of the reasons I had some doubts, especially considering how long it spent on that angle. It didn't necessarily seem like the shot was long enough to establish that it was

I'd normally agree, but on re-watch
    The camera even rotates back and forth like it's a surveillance getup; it's hardly noticeable, but it does happen.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
    Not seeing it.
    So, here are all the shots in that scene. The conversation between Hank and Walt is shot in standard 3/4 over the shoulder shots. Nothing weird there.

Next, after Hank leaves the room, the very first shot is this closeup of Walt getting the picture frame bug out:
    Screen%20Shot%202012-08-31%20at%2011.17.07%20PM.png

After that, it jumps to a wide-angle shot, roughly from the center of Hank's desk, looking up (45-ish degrees. Not an angle that would make any sense for a surveillance camera). That shot ends like this (it never pans):
    Screen%20Shot%202012-08-31%20at%2011.17.33%20PM.png

Next, we get a dog's eye view, on level with Walt crawling under the desk to remove the final bug. Also no panning, and no wide angle:
    Screen%20Shot%202012-08-31%20at%2011.17.56%20PM.png

Finally, we've got one more shot. This one is a bog-standard waist-up shot of Walt admiring the bug:
    Screen%20Shot%202012-08-31%20at%2011.18.19%20PM.png

This is actually the only shot that pans or rotates, but it clearly follows Walt's gaze towards the bank surveillance photo board. A technique the show uses all the time (most notably when Walt spins the gun and we get a slight nod towards the lily of the valley):
    Screen%20Shot%202012-08-31%20at%2011.27.08%20PM.png

So yeah, my verdict: nothing to see here. I think we're grasping at straws.

I'd normally agree, but on re-watch
    The camera even rotates back and forth like it's a surveillance getup; it's hardly noticeable, but it does happen.

Also
    morality doesn't exist and cameras should only be used to record real monsters like Skyler

J/k :)

• MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Not seeing it.
    So, here are all the shots in that scene. The conversation between Hank and Walt is shot in standard 3/4 over the shoulder shots. Nothing weird there.

Next, after Hank leaves the room, the very first shot is this closeup of Walt getting the picture frame bug out:
    Screen%20Shot%202012-08-31%20at%2011.17.07%20PM.png

After that, it jumps to a wide-angle shot, roughly from the center of Hank's desk, looking up (45-ish degrees. Not an angle that would make any sense for a surveillance camera). That shot ends like this (it never pans):
    Screen%20Shot%202012-08-31%20at%2011.17.33%20PM.png

Next, we get a dog's eye view, on level with Walt crawling under the desk to remove the final bug. Also no panning, and no wide angle:
    Screen%20Shot%202012-08-31%20at%2011.17.56%20PM.png

Finally, we've got one more shot. This one is a bog-standard waist-up shot of Walt admiring the bug:
    Screen%20Shot%202012-08-31%20at%2011.18.19%20PM.png

This is actually the only shot that pans or rotates, but it clearly follows Walt's gaze towards the bank surveillance photo board. A technique the show uses all the time (most notably when Walt spins the gun and we get a slight nod towards the lily of the valley):
    Screen%20Shot%202012-08-31%20at%2011.27.08%20PM.png

So yeah, my verdict: nothing to see here. I think we're grasping at straws.

There's literally
    A shot from the upper righthand corner of the room that pans back and forth every few seconds. It's framed like a security camera, and moves like one as well. It happens. I watched the episode twice.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    When does it happen? Because I'm not seeing that anywhere. Are we talking about the same episode?

edited September 2012
    Okay, I found the shot you mean.
    it's after Hank comes back with the coffee. They're standing there awkwardly, and for about 4-5 seconds it switches to a shot from the corner of the room near the ceiling.

It looks unlike other obvious surveillance camera shots, and it does NOT pan. It's steady, aside from a tiny bit of camera wobble from the camera operator. It looks to me like it's just a wide angle shot to highlight the awkward "yeeeah.... Wellllllp...." moment between Hank and Walt and to better frame Gomez's entrance into the room that interrupts them.

I see what you're getting at, but I still think it's unlikely. Beyond all else, Walt would notice a security camera in the corner of the room like that in such an obvious spot.

minor incident on
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    A department chief or whatever he is would not have a security camera in his office

He would have been detected placing the bug in the first place if there was

So there wasn't

it's after Hank comes back with the coffee. They're standing there awkwardly, and for about 4-5 seconds it switches to a shot from the corner of the room near the ceiling.

It looks unlike other obvious surveillance camera shots, and it does NOT pan. It's steady, aside from a tiny bit of camera wobble from the camera operator. It looks to me like it's just a wide angle shot to highlight the awkward "yeeeah.... Wellllllp...." moment between Hank and Walt and to better frame Gomez's entrance into the room that interrupts them.

I see what you're getting at, but I still think it's unlikely. Beyond all else, Walt would notice a security camera in the corner of the room like that in such an obvious spot.

I agree that it's unlikely, and I'm almost positive it won't pay off, but it still seems like a weirdly deliberate choice for a camera angle.

I agree that it looks vaguely suspicious, but yeah, as cool as it would be, I don't put much stock in the Hank Has Known All Along theories.

• r4dr3zr4dr3z Registered User regular
    So, at this point,
    does Walt really want to be the cook, or does he want to be the distributor? I get the feeling that while Walt is excellent at cooking, he really feels that he should be running the whole show. It's funny that he tells Skyler that he's running things now. Can you really be running things as the help? I think it's very similar to what any of us scientific or engineering types must go through with management at our jobs. Walt thinks that he's this badass, but he keeps signing himself up for cook duties.

r4dr3z wrote: »
    So, at this point,
    does Walt really want to be the cook, or does he want to be the distributor? I get the feeling that while Walt is excellent at cooking, he really feels that he should be running the whole show. It's funny that he tells Skyler that he's running things now. Can you really be running things as the help? I think it's very similar to what any of us scientific or engineering types must go through with management at our jobs. Walt thinks that he's this badass, but he keeps signing himself up for cook duties.

Walt has been doing both sides of the business for virtually his whole career. The only time where he had no input into the business end was when he worked in the super lab.

• YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    I'm thinking now that we won't get to the cold open until the second "half" of this season.

edited September 2012

I agree that it's unlikely, and I'm almost positive it won't pay off, but it still seems like a weirdly deliberate choice for a camera angle.
    There is a dirty DEA agent who wanted to blackmail Hank based on his computer surfing habits but now he has this....we'll see where it goes.

Egos on
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    So, at this point,

Walt has been doing both sides of the business for virtually his whole career. The only time where he had no input into the business end was when he worked in the super lab.

No, he hasn't. Jesse did the heavy lifting for the distribution then it was Tucco then Gus. Walt has never been that involved in that aspect, he's devoted primarily to manufacturing, reprisals against rivals/enemies and covering up stuff from the DEA.

So, at this point,

No, he hasn't. Jesse did the heavy lifting for the distribution then it was Tucco then Gus. Walt has never been that involved in that aspect, he's devoted primarily to manufacturing, reprisals against rivals/enemies and covering up stuff from the DEA.

He never handled the day to day, but he made all the deals that involved him and Jesse, and he more or less controlled Jesse when he was the "kingpin.". Basically, he never really honored a deal to be out of the business end, except with Fring.

• Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
    Well, as I caught up on the last few pages, I just got spoiled all to hell on Mad Men, which I am currently in the process of watching.

It's also impossible to read this thread and not get unexpectedly spoiled on the endings of The Shield and The Sopranos. What the hell guys.

Yep, I believe this thread was the one that spoiled The Shield for me. It was still great to watch, but yeah. Mark those spoilers for other shows, folks.

Yeah...sorry that was me. And I hate spoilers. Just wasn't thinking. I still feel horrible about that. Probably because I believe in objective morality ;)

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    I'm thinking now that we won't get to the cold open until the second "half" of this season.

Yeah it struck me as endgame

Still curious as what happens - he was much calmer, sweet to the waitress. Mentioned a science museum. Like his old self.

Yes I'm worried for holly. Some site pointed out pink in the show is associated with death. There's the bunny rabbit from the plane and some others I can't remember. And holly is always always swaddled in pink

Sharp10r wrote: »

Yeah...sorry that was me. And I hate spoilers. Just wasn't thinking. I still feel horrible about that. Probably because I believe in objective morality ;)

No problem. I really don't hatehatehate spoilers as much as most people, so it didn't bother me all that much.

Yeah it struck me as endgame

Still curious as what happens - he was much calmer, sweet to the waitress. Mentioned a science museum. Like his old self.

Yes I'm worried for holly. Some site pointed out pink in the show is associated with death. There's the bunny rabbit from the plane and some others I can't remember. And holly is always always swaddled in pink

I was thinking the same thing about Walt. While he didn't seem "calm" exactly to me, he did seem a bit nicer. Kind of pensive, and regretful. I think it's a good indication that shit has gone very south for Walt personally (death of a child?) rather than just professionally. Typically when business goes bad, Walt is much angrier.

Sharp10r wrote: »

More like you believe in promoting a world where people don't spoil things so that things you have no seen are not spoiled, because you value not having things spoiled more than having the freedom to talk about things without using spoiler tags :)

• CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Ah, I was curious of what exactly the pictures in Hanks office were about, but they appear to be surveillance shots of the bank that Mike is having the lawyer make deposits at.

Cristoval on
    Yep, that's exactly what they are.

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Heads up: the Breaking Bad score is finally on AmazonMP3 for $8.99. Just in case you want it and don't want to deal with iTunes.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
    I was not paying nearly close enough attention to that -
    did Walt use the ricin? Was there anything to allude to that he used it, like Huell's patdown of Jesse last season? Or did he just have it there as an option and was convinced by her sales pitch

C8Ft8GE.jpg