As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Breaking Bad] --> [Better Call Saul]: The Ballad of Slippin' Jimmy

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Tuco seems less insane. Not as unhinged as he was in Breaking Bad. Maybe he's not a meth addict yet?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Michael Mando, whom played Vaas in Far Cry 3, might be stuck in typecast hell as Tuco's lieutenant, but he fits the role.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Great second episode.
    I like how he is trying to get away from his scam days. Loved the "montage" of him doing a ton of PD work. We know he's going to fall eventually, but I trust Vince Gilligan to give us a good ride.

camo_sig2.png
  • ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Darlan wrote: »
    I thought it was ok, but nothing particularly special. The intro felt a bit too much like an advertisement for Cinnabon to me, hardly an auspicious start. (Though I suppose it is oddly fitting that a series about Saul Goodman is really just an attempt to get paid through in-show advertisements.)

To be fair,
    At the end of BB Saul outright said he was going to Nebraska to work at a Cinnabon. Apparently it wasn't a joke.

And a day in the life of the man formally known as Saul Goodman/Jimmy McGill at Cinnabon is a nice sign of holy crap this guy was making millions of dollars and now he's probably just above minimum wage at a McJob at that crappy (but delicious) place at the mall that's usually reserved for high school students.

That, and Gilligan loves his strange montages. Right there with watching the day hooker go about her business.

• scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    holy shit those two episodes.

I am instantly in love and my heart breaks for Saul.

The moment that absolutely sold it for me was
    Saul in the desert.

First he conjures up this FBI bullshit out of thin air only to immediately fold on it because he was then put on the stand and told to tell the truth.

The moment he gets his get out of jail murder free card he cannot help himself. He goes to lawyer for the two skateboard idiots who would have left him to die in their stead without so much as a second thought spent on him.

• ThisThis Registered User regular
    These two episodes really need to be taken as a unit I think. By itself, episode one felt... well, like half a pilot. Together, it's good stuff.

edited February 2015
    well rewatching it I like it even better.
    Saul isn't a lawyer. he is a businessman.

he is a used car dealer who will try to pull a fast one. he makes deals. he doesn't want to screw you. he doesn't want to screw anybody. he kind of has to and he got some law inside of him and you can quiz him (not contract law though).

he jumps from bullshit (special agent steel, saul, really?) to bullshit (think of their poor mother) to bullshit (you are totally like a judge of biblical proportions!) in order to dodge people who are so much more powerful than him and who have so much more clout.

ironically the one guy he cannot sway is that misterious dude who keeps asking for more stickers.

I wonder what is up with him.

scherbchen on
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    That's how fucking crazy
    Tuco is. When gosh dang Vaas Montenegro is the voice of reason, holy shit... your mind is way fucked

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Just finished episode 2. This is good stuff! Surprisingly good...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    So what's up with Saul's brother? He has a fear of electricity or something?

Oh brilliant
  • GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    So what's up with Saul's brother? He has a fear of electricity or something?

Electromagnetic fields

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_hypersensitivity

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Woof. That seems like some hardcore psychosomatic trubs. D:

Oh brilliant
  • Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 So Raven Registered User regular
    I am so on board with this show. It's amazing how even though this is in the Breaking Bad universe, I have hardly thought about Walter White at all. Jimmy carries this all on his own.

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    the tuco reveal blew my mind. great way to end the episode, never even for a second figured he would show up again.

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2015
    Just finished the first episode, and I'll check out part two tomorrow.

It is really, really good. I'm especially impressed with how effectively it ran the full gamut of emotional responses, from the hilarious reveal in the courtroom, to the palpable frustration in the law office, to the genuine heartache when Jimmy is talking to his brother. It all just works.

The first half hour was a little slow, but not in a bad way. More in a... deliberate way. There's an upward ramping of momentum from the lingering sadness of the cold open to the final cliffhanger (which I think would work almost as effectively even if I hadn't seen BB), and you very much get a sense of things spiraling. Jimmy is not yet Saul, he is not yet good at this, regardless of how much truth there is to the Ballad of Slipping Jimmy.

But he has potential. And so does this show.

Can't wait to see what happens next.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Baron DirigibleBaron Dirigible Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Edit: fuck, posted early. I'll write up a proper post when I get a chance.

Baron Dirigible on
  • CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    I agree with what everyone has said in terms of the quality of this show, with might minor quibble... those frickin' skater punks. I am really curious with what made them go with older actors for the role? By old I of course mean just late 20's, but they really stuck out as wanting to be conveyed as much younger. They just came off as super obnoxious and not in a way that was good for their role. It's like they won some competition to be on the show and their acting reeeeaaally stood out like a sore thumb compared to everybody else bringing their A game. The actual teenagers in the courtroom were more convincing.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Aaron Paul was a very weak link in his first few episodes and his performance only got better.

I do not expect these guys to go the Pinkman route, but the low grade criminals being dumb and annoying is a common trait in this universe.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    I have to wonder if those guys will even really figure into the show again

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Maybe they end up in a badger/skinny Pete role but I could just as easily see them gone

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Cristoval wrote: »
    I agree with what everyone has said in terms of the quality of this show, with might minor quibble... those frickin' skater punks. I am really curious with what made them go with older actors for the role? By old I of course mean just late 20's, but they really stuck out as wanting to be conveyed as much younger. They just came off as super obnoxious and not in a way that was good for their role. It's like they won some competition to be on the show and their acting reeeeaaally stood out like a sore thumb compared to everybody else bringing their A game. The actual teenagers in the courtroom were more convincing.

Hollywood. Adult actors playing teenagers is a time honored tradition.

• OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    So Chuck is his brother? When was that established? I must have missed it. I just assumed it was his father

alright, take two

Just finished the second ep. I agree with @This in that the show works much better with the two episodes together. Which is to say I found the pilot underwhelming and the second episode much more compelling. (This was at least partly because the first episode featured those skater punks a lot more -- really not a fan)

Some thoughts:
    kind of surprised slip'n jimmy wasn't made of whole cloth

I think the main difference between this and breaking bad is the absolute focus on the title character. so far, at least, the show is all about Saul. It's testament to Odenkirk that he's able to carry the show so well. I'm sure we'll get sub plots as the show progresses, but right now there have been very few scenes that don't star Saul directly.

"I got you down from a life sentence to six months' probation! I'm the best lawyer."

me 6 months ago: Odenkirk can't pull this off. it is going to be so boring and one-dimensional and just a gimmick.

me on monday: shut the fuck up me from 6 months ago, you know nothing! you are literally the worst.

I listened to a great interview of Bob Odenkirk on NPR last weekend. Basically he said he based Saul off of Hollywood agents since he didn't know any lawyers. That and when he was first told about the role of Saul Goodman, he added the haircut to the character...combed over, somewhat professional but also a little long. It was pretty interesting...I guess he didn't find the character that interesting at first.

camo_sig2.png
    I won't lie, it took Odenkirk's performance in Fargo to convince me they could pull this off.

I won't lie, it took Odenkirk's performance in Fargo to convince me they could pull this off.

Shoot, I keep forgetting to watch that. He's in it? Now I definitely need to!

camo_sig2.png
  • OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    I like to imagine that as part of his life on the run he goes on to be a bumbling sheriff in the Fargo world

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Odenkirk’s back must hurt after he picked up this whole production and carried it for two hours. Man. I didn’t think he had it in him. Does VG have some kind of golden eye for plucking comedic actors and dumping them into these kinds of roles?

I don’t know exactly what I was expecting, but it wasn’t this. I guess maybe I thought this would be more light hearted, but man. Shit got dark real quick. And it’s kind of amazing. Like right up there with some of the best writing in Breaking Bad. The whole negotiation with Tuco was incredible.

Also: <3 Vic the Dick

Line of the episode?
    Discreet. Like a stripper pole in a mosque.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    In regards to Frik and Frak, the idiot twins.
    They should have been left to Tuco to play amateur surgeon on in the desert, they all literally had a get out of jail free card and the second they get the duct tape off their mouth they make things 1000% worse, not to mention having fucked over Saul hardcore before that because they are a couple of dimwitted jackasses.

• ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Odenkirk’s back must hurt after he picked up this whole production and carried it for two hours. Man. I didn’t think he had it in him. Does VG have some kind of golden eye for plucking comedic actors and dumping them into these kinds of roles?

I don’t know exactly what I was expecting, but it wasn’t this. I guess maybe I thought this would be more light hearted, but man. Shit got dark real quick. And it’s kind of amazing. Like right up there with some of the best writing in Breaking Bad. The whole negotiation with Tuco was incredible.

Also: <3 Vic the Dick

Line of the episode?
    Discreet. Like a stripper pole in a mosque.

Keep in mind that Bryan Cranston wasn't a strictly comedic actor going in to Breaking Bad. His most well known role was the dad in Malcolm in the Middle, but he'd cut his dramatic teeth plenty of times well before then. The whole reason Gilligan wanted Cranston was because he'd worked with him during an episode of the X-Files where holy crap Cranston acts his ass off.

However, Odenkirk... a decade ago I'm not even sure I knew who the guy was, and if you told me some obscure comedian was going to be the lead in one of the most anticipated dramas of the year... Props to Odenkirk for being a truly terrific actor and to Gilligan and the rest of the BB crew for having the foresight to cast him.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Mr. Show was like 15 years ago.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Finished the second episode.

This is great. Pretty much all the great. I want more.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    I was a big fan of Odenkirk long before Breaking Bad, from Mr. Show and the other random comedy skits and appearances he did over the years.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    For some reason I just love how
    Tuco says "BIZ-SNATCH"

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    This show is a lot better than I thought it was going to be, so far

• TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    Had heard a lot of hype surrounding the pilot even before it aired and it sure has lived up to it. I'm pretty excited for the next episode!

EH28YFo.jpg
  • RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    I'm kind of pleased how surprisingly moral Saul seems to be.

Also, Mike being grumpy = always enjoyable.

RhalloTonny on
    !
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Comradebot wrote: »
    The whole reason Gilligan wanted Cranston was because he'd worked with him during an episode of the X-Files where holy crap Cranston acts his ass off.

That was a great episode, too.

It was the one where he had to keep going west otherwise he'd die, if memory serves.

*googles* Yep.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drive_(The_X-Files)

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I'm a little puzzled why Saul wouldn't just call the cops when
    he found the supposedly kidnapped family hiding in the woods. Why give them any chance to possibly escape?

Guess we'll find out next episode. My guess is he
    agrees to help them hide the money, which will get them out of the embezzlement case. At the same time, he can tell Nacho where the money is hidden to appease him and keep his vital organs on the inside.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg